Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,605 members, 7,888,936 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 06:45 PM

Managers: Growing Your People Skills - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Managers: Growing Your People Skills (164 Views)

How To Find Your People / Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? / OAP Freeze Attacks Adeboye Again, You Dont Preach But Only Brainwash Your People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Managers: Growing Your People Skills by muskanmuffleit: 12:33pm On Apr 07, 2022
I love my work. I love meeting people and working with them on their challenges. I’m pretty good at what I do (apparently). I like to think that at the heart of all of this is the fact that from my view of the world, the person in front of me, at any given point, is the most important thing in my universe at that moment. I will give my all to ensure they find working with me rewarding, challenging, and ultimately a pleasant experience.

This wouldn’t have been the case to the same extent ten and certainly twenty years ago. I could have come across as awkward. A bit reserved. Emotionally, I have matured. The area of my development that has moved on, is what is referred to as my “emotional intelligence”(e.g. Thorndike, 1920).

I’m far from perfect (whatever that is) but I am more people-aware now than I was in my early twenties and thirties. You probably are too. The good news is it is possible to develop your emotional intelligence over the course of your lifetime. And that’s a good thing.

Read More:-how to creat a folder in iPhone

First impressions
If I come to your place of work and you meet me with a warm smile, a firm handshake, some small talk, and the offer of a coffee or glass of water, you probably have a good level of emotional intelligence. It may be a habit but whatever the reasons, you are able to appreciate that I am in unfamiliar surroundings, I may have had a terrible journey to get to you.

I might be thirsty. You are helping me settle in, to be comfortable enough to do my job. You have displayed high levels of emotional intelligence and that will help you go a long way.

If you don’t raise your head as you walk around your office; if you regularly throw a tantrum when someone fails to deliver or sulk for days; if you keep people waiting as a powerplay; if you don’t realize the impacts on others of your emotional state, you are likely to have a low level of emotional intelligence and that will hold you back.

Get promoted
As you move further up an organization, the emotional or social intelligence that you develop is likely to be increasingly important. Think about the very best leaders you have worked with … they tend to be good ‘people-people’. They may also be technically excellent, but they are also likely to be very aware of their own emotions and the effect that has on others; they also know how to alter their behavior and attempt to empathize where they can.

Check Also

How to develop your Emotional Intelligence
1. Want to: I’ve never worked effectively with any coaching client on this, without their full engagement. Usually, clients know their own limitations but occasionally clients are “suggested” to work with me as part of their career progression because they lack such awareness. Whatever the reason, there has to be a willingness to change.

2. Raise self-awareness: The more aware you are of how you are and the impacts you have on yourself and those around you, the more able you are to bring about effective change. Undertaking a formal or informal 360 feedback process can be incredibly powerful for this. If that is not an option, simply recording significant incidents – positive and negative – can be very helpful to begin to see some patterns emerging.

3. Have an increasingly clear idea of what you want to achieve: you may have a role model that you would aspire to be similar to; you may know there are certain situations you want to handle better, with a good idea of what that would be like.

4. Work with someone: A good coach (I would say that!) or a colleague may be best placed to help you develop your emotional intelligence as sometimes the lack of awareness is the very thing that is stopping you from progressing.

Continue Knowing:-What is Carplay

(1) (Reply)

Multiple Upcoming Will Smith Projects Have Been Canceled Following Slapping / 2k22 Oracle 1z0-1043-21 Dumps PDF - Ultimate Guide (PDF) / Don't Ignore This: Learn How To Make Legit Money In 2022 And Beyond

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.