Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,467 members, 7,978,525 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 09:51 AM

Marriage Vow Is Inconsequential: Where Did Marriage Vows Originate From? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marriage Vow Is Inconsequential: Where Did Marriage Vows Originate From? (266 Views)

Bride Refuses To Say "For Better Or For Worse" In Marriage Vow Twist (video) / The Amazing Moment A Bride Said Her Wedding Vow In ‘Tech Language’ (Video) / Where Did You Meet Your Spouse Or Partner? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage Vow Is Inconsequential: Where Did Marriage Vows Originate From? by Kuriosmynd: 11:40am On Apr 08, 2022
I will be speaking from the man's angle.

In Christian marriage, both husband and wife are forced to mutter marriage vows like "for better for worse", "Till death do us apart". We know all of this is mere words as both parties most times go against this vow with no consequence.

In the Bible, there's no proof of where husband is mandated to mutter marriage vows as to promise he will never marry a second wife. David, Abraham, Solomon, Joseph, Jacob, All the Kings of Isreal and Judah all married multiple wives and was never required to vow.

So where did this superficial vow come from which make it seem a man must be with only that woman till death?
In Traditional wedding, no man is mandated to make vow to his wife apart from the normal responsibility to take care of her which is expected. Our grandfathers were never asked to say "for better for worse, or till death do us apart in a way that seems the man can't get a second wife...though all culture expect all women to be faithful. Cos there was no question of equality.
To me marital vows are needless for a man, and inconsequential. Though a man should take care of his wife. But should be free to take a second wife without the burden of any vow
The Advent of this vow is questionable
Re: Marriage Vow Is Inconsequential: Where Did Marriage Vows Originate From? by Boogyman557: 11:51am On Apr 08, 2022
Holly Gram cool real matters on top real MATTERZ

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!
Re: Marriage Vow Is Inconsequential: Where Did Marriage Vows Originate From? by mariovito(m): 12:16pm On Apr 08, 2022
If you understand that most of what we have today as Christian religion is just a syncretized form of old pagan religions with a mix of European lifestyle and norms, you'll find most of the answers you seek.

Monogamous marriage was entirely a European thing, they needed a way to coopt others to join, so they standardized it as Christian marriage.

For me, I still stick with traditional marriage.

I Also think this monogamous marriage of thing and all those plenty vows associated with it must have been whipped up by one pussy whipped simp.

They not even actionable in a law court. At best, they're just a play on the emotions to set you on a guilt trip.

Monogamy is one of the most laughable concepts ever introduced in Africa. There is yet to be anyone convicted of Bigamy. That doesn't mean that I may not end up monogamous.

Now, after they cajoled and forced us into being monogamous, next they're asking us to marry into same sex or even entirely abandon our sex through this rubbish they call sex change therapy. Now they're having it bite them on their heels with the present debacle of the Zach Emily Bridges the British transgender cyclist who is being refused to compete in an all female category because of his history of being a man which is an added advantage for him.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Vow Is Inconsequential: Where Did Marriage Vows Originate From? by LordIsaac(m): 12:20pm On Apr 08, 2022
I have often thought so too. I think it is just a legal statement of contract. The mere fact that you are made (forced to say it or no tying the knot) to say it negates its essence.
Re: Marriage Vow Is Inconsequential: Where Did Marriage Vows Originate From? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Apr 08, 2022
If married couples still cheat even after exchanging marital vows,then the concept isn't effective. Men are polygamous.
Re: Marriage Vow Is Inconsequential: Where Did Marriage Vows Originate From? by Kobojunkie: 1:49pm On Apr 08, 2022
Kuriosmynd:

To me marital vows are needless for a man, and inconsequential. Though a man should take care of his wife. But should be free to take a second wife without the burden of any vow
The Advent of this vow is questionable
What is instead questionable is your true intentions here as regards these vows. Let me be blunt.... are you under the assumption that by eliminating this marriage vow which you all say during your rituals, a man becomes free to marry as many wives as he pleases? Wouldn't it also follow that the same should apply for women...eliminating the vow would mean she too is free to take a second husband without the burden of said vow? undecided

P.S. for those who actually have a brain upstairs, the marriage is itself an agreement, a contract aka a vow between a man and a woman - that public vow you swear also becomes a part of the agreement that is your marriage. undecided

If the agreement between you and your partner is that you both remain monogamous to each one but you decide you no longer want that, what you do is break your marriage vow aka render your marriage null and void potentially opening up to a new meaning which may include polygamy for the man along with polyandry for the woman. undecided

(1) (Reply)

How To Detoxify Your Kidney, Liver And Bladder Naturally / Question: Guys Dating Students / Man Gutted By Fire After His Phone Blasted In His Hands After Receiving A Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.