Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,514 members, 7,892,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 06:24 AM

No. 67 Upper Iweka Road (She's Broken Again) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / No. 67 Upper Iweka Road (She's Broken Again) (709 Views)

Osogbo Book Club Sends Birthday Greetings To Olalere Fagbola At 67 / The Last Wolf Series - Broken Vengeance / BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

No. 67 Upper Iweka Road (She's Broken Again) by frankwriter(m): 1:59am On Apr 09, 2022
No. 67 Upper Iweka Road.

(A short Story)
_____

It was twilight. It seemed like the clouds had gotten a sudden fascination to the moon and wrapped themselves around it. The moon's faint glow passed through them, coloring them white from grey. Twinkle stars dotted the sky.

This dude came out from nowhere and crossed the other lane. He soon found a girl and stopped.

Him: Please, can I use your phone to call my sister, my line has been barred—and I’m stranded.

She: (Murmurs something inaudible and walked past).

Loud music blasted from unseen stereo. People loitered around, minding their businesses and destination.

Him: (Walks away and suddenly halted before another girl).

She: (Stood still and roved her eyes like one in search of a coming Keke.. She had her bag slung over her shoulder).

Him: Please, can you do me a favor? I need to call my sister now. I’m stranded here and my line got barred by MTN due to NIN.

She: (Stares with pity—and the same time at him suspiciously).

Him: Please, just help me out. I can’t make calls.

She: (Stood still and still in doubts. But soon remembered a post she read days ago on Facebook that talked about helping strangers… “Humanity over Religion.”)

Him: I won’t exceed one minute. (He noticed she was going to succumb, she had that 'good person’ look on her face And he saw a smartphone on her left hand).

She: (Yet to utter a word. She placed her forefinger behind her phone and it unlocked in seconds).

Him: (Felt excited deep down. Finally found a good Samaritan, he thought to himself).

She: Please, be fast. I need to go. It’s late——She finally spoke in what seems like angelic voice. (Convinced by his appearance and his gentleman haircut, she stretched forward her phone).

People walked past. Cars and motorcycles drove past too. It was few minutes before 8pm. And the weather was clear.

He: Thank youuuu… Thank you so much. (Collects the phone and the feel was cool. A very nice phone. He starts dialing a random number)

She: (Looks left and right like one in search of Keke. She still had her eyes on him as he placed her phone to close his ear).

Him: (Looks the next direction. The phone beams light but seems not like it was connecting. He sighed slowly, feeling disappointed).

She: Hwfa? Has it connected? (She looked into her eyes but he quickly averted his).
Him: No. I think it’s network. (He placed the phone back to his left ear and looked the other direction again—avoiding eye contact with her.

She: (Beginning to feel uneasy. She felt something rather than what he thought he was doing but for the benefit of doubt, she stood at alert, should in case…)

Him: (Hissed at the second failed attempt to connect).

A Keke drove close just that moment. The Keke halted before them. There was no passenger in it.

She: Please, I need to go now. Let me enter this Keke now before it gets filled.
Him: (Suddenly turned, pushed her away and quickly hopped into the Keke. It drove off speedily). The Keke rumbled past along the rough cobbled street that stretch past the point an eye could not see.

She: Thiefffffff! My phoneeee! (She had goosebumps. Cold shivers ran down her spin as she stood helplessly and watched them drove through the empty road).

Again, for the third time in a month she watched herself broken for being good and having trust in random people. The first was at her place of business, the second was at the market and there she stood crying again. She had given out her phone, trying to help a stranger. Her Sim card gone, her documents and other unbacked stuffs gone.

She looked devastated and confused. Passersby had gather to hear her story but she was all tears. Phlegm clustered on her nose but she didn’t seemed to mind. “Aunty what happened?” asked one of them. She still didn’t have the strength to talk.
Still dumbfounded. It looked like she had been dreaming. How on earth did she fall for such trick? Her heart was pounding faster like her intestines were being cut off with a sharp object. She felt her stomach churning.

Finally, she was able to wipe her face. There was definitely not she could do about it, so she left the scene while they watched her. She walked absent minded along the road. There were thoughts that rushed through her head saying this and that.
She wished she could shut her brain for some minutes but if only wishes were horses..

She’s broken again for being a good Samaritan and it's quite unfortunate.

08-04-22
©️ Frank The Writer

Twitter & IG: frankwriter1

Follow my Facebook page for more stories.
Facebook: Frank The Writer

#storyteller

Re: No. 67 Upper Iweka Road (She's Broken Again) by annayawchee: 3:19pm On May 16, 2022
Continue

(1) (Reply)

Books On Auction / The Plans And Secrets Of Satan Are Exposed! / Quotable Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.