Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,636 members, 7,926,857 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 01:16 AM

The Mischievous Whirlwind - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Mischievous Whirlwind (372 Views)

Comparing Soyinka With Chimamanda Is Mischievous And Suicidal / The Mischievous Mrs Stanford (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Mischievous Whirlwind by Ade00Adeniyi: 4:50pm On Apr 11, 2022
This is a historical fictional story, written in
adventurous and mysterious manner to draw out
exposition of grammar formation taking us to the
development of socialization in the middle age.
©All Rights Reserved
-------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER ONE

In the little market of Amaoje. Which served as unanimous market of its surrounding Hamlets. Counters where made sporadically around a compacted pale confined in the heart of triangle grown three(3) different trees.two of Laperine's olive tree,and the other; Tamarisk tree.every six days,the horde settlers from other allied Hamlets converge in the open space under the shelter of this blooming trees to exchange their goods for goods.only few ^shells was in circulation for legal tender.it's mostly owned by the few dominant benefices across the Hamlets.
Amaoje village is a village,a thousand away from tropical forest of western Africa into northern Africa of Sahara desert.the just passed founding fathers of the village ran away from the reach of the prevalent attacks of the Arab slave trade of the time.little lax weaponless republic settlements were the major cheap prey of the redoubtable dreadful caliphates. sprouting from the valley of River Nile towards the Sub-Saharan Africa.after years of appealing and scrumptious atmospheric environment safe from conquest. Different families fleeing from the same unrest or those subdued in war retreating to gulp back air, found redoubt in Amaoje's harbour.or quietly making their thatch log hut some miles away around Amaoje village.
For quite years back; gradual progress had been marked in the realm of socializing, farming and trade.the surrounding Hamlets were named after their clan heads: Eba, which means father. Affixed with their paternal name.Eba-Ogoje, Eba-Akuna, Eba-Kukude, Eba-dokoyo, Eba-Yabati, Eba-Atako among other eleven Hamlets,which shared almost downright ties with the capital village of Amaoje.
Whenever they faced a general acute tensed threat within or sensed ravaging danger making advance towards them,the surrounding Hamlets met in a meeting inside their capital village with its leader which they called Eba-Amaoje as they. In their unity; a heart of stone had been created and a root firmly entrusted into the bedrock of mother Earth,and they seem infallible to any substantial pitfall as the sun rice and wane.
A memorable market day set.the goats bleat resounding blare stridently,touring and jostling the thronged huddled crowd in ecstasy.the fowls and cock flipped their wings and matched around searching for debris of grains,and the Aves birds took time to mount through atmosphere within one after the other in zigzag,while flock of others,whoop in their nests on the Laperine's olive tree. Trade was running smoothly as usual as people showed their readiness to sell or barter.where those who wanted to buy, lobbied for a soft landing.and the worse occurred.
It started with cool smiling air of the heated atmosphere which developed into less challenging wind which blew around litters hovering around while the kids of the Nanny goats hopped in;in rapture.in a glimpse of seconds it busted into dust-devil, carrying the sand particles into its ravaging cyclone looking fearfully and piercing into the sky.people started staring from afar within the market.it went wild and become fullscale whirlwind as it charged at the market counters.taking the local caps of the men and seizing the rappers of the women into the thick air as they ran for safety.birds lost their nest while they disappeared off from rader.the atmosphere was completely taken by miasma of dust particles, living the people blindfolded running away from less safe ground to the heart of danger.
It become worsened that it could be referred to as tornado when the furious sanguinary whirlwind fought it way upward sprouting out razing hands at its rounding top tip fighting to get more ground and dominance across the space,and it consumed in; the whole market square with the people in it, dancing and strongly wafting to left then right, front then back and it instigated a dreadful roar.rumbling in "whooah!" "whooah!!" "whooah!!!" and the destitute tensed villagers lost in unconscious dyspnea.
The angry whirlwind engulfed the Tamarisk tree overwhelmingly,living it in submission to it(whirlwind) forces and "shoom-oom!!" it uprooted it from the earth and landed it in slo-mo action.placing side of it back on the bare ground like a wrestler who just overpowered his opponent.
Those who were not around the market square who had already realized the reality,dart to their huts.some missed their very hut and bumped into the just closing door and shoved away the person behind the door to land on the floor and the disaster fumes on.
After the mischievous whirlwind had been pleased with his mysterious disposition in the market square.it made advancement away from the scene onto the nearby huts.rumbling and roaring left to right; front to back.it bumped into the huts like an elephant locking head with a Billy goat.it obliterated the huts into the thick air living no trace of foundation.it ravage almost the whole huts as residents took another dash to safely before it could reach them.and the unfriendly visitor tore them apart.

****************AFTERMATH*****************

At the early morning of the following day.residents across surrounding Hamlets and far beyond had gathered at Amaoje village as the news had travelled around there domain like wildfire.it was an acute sympathetic day for Amaoje village. people lost their lives, properties and shelters obliterated beyond recognition.the helping hands visiting the village helped in carrying the corpses beneath the uprooted tree,the mauled bodies under log and pole.and those who sustained fatal or minor injuries were attended to attentively. Thirteen people were alleged to have died.and scores of injured survivals were responding to aid.
Among people who lost their lives were two heads of the neighboring Hamlets and four residents from different Hamlets and villages.while seven cadavers were reported for the village of the incident.
After the corpses had been laid beneath the earth according to their custom. Preparation began for erecting new huts the following day as almost the vast numbers of the precedent huts had been massively and outrightly delt with.
For quite a week,laborious dispensation was carried out by these helping hands in reviving back most of there social structures.foods in grains, tubbers and liquid where amply donated to them.these and others eased what could have been the perpetual effect of the disaster,except for the fact that; no amount of effort summoned could have brought the lost souls back to their families.
During the late days of the second week after the coadjutors had finished their laborious aid.the village head called a meeting with the heads of families in the village in looking into the menace that befell onto them.in the meeting; it was unanimously agreed to invite there closest allies who lost one or two lives and property during the siege to have a contemplation together at the next seating.
At the next meeting; all heads and Representatives were in attendance, Eba-Amaoje addressed the congress
"My salutation to everyone here today.who have left there daily duties and families within the village of Amaoje and our faithful clan's abodes,in recognizing the need of this congress.may our gods and goddesses never forsake us"
"Odelee" the rest chanted which meant amen in there language.
"May we never be won physically or spiritually by any ravaging monster from mysterious world"
"Odelee"
"And once more,we shall thrive and roar again"
"odelee" the crowd sealed it and Eba-Amaoje continued.
"The reason why we are here today is obvious to all.and in other to avoid much time been waste on frivolity,I will like to express that this terrible gigantic wind has never happened in my lifetime prior to this,nor is it passed upon me through oratory from my fathers.this is more complex than what we could absorb at a go if i must say.and within me,I have partially come into conclusion that the gods are not pleased with us. goddesses are not strictly lethal to such intensity.and with this,I set it before you all to share your opinion on this enigma.so that it likely occurrence may be foiled in the future" he gulped in enough sigh of air as he arrived.Eba-Kukude took up the line, cleared his throat in anticipation and seized the seconds.
"You have said well Eba.it's downright disaster for us all.and things that are supreme more than our reasoning should be put forth to those mystical metaphysical beings that hold the beams of the earth from sinking.they are the ones who can guide blind eyes through serpent track to his destination.with this; I seek the consensus of all to let put the right stick in the right hole.to comprehend and relate to the part of Eba-Amaoje's submission: the worst i ever witnessed consigning wind is dust-devil which affected my grandfather's farm destroying our crops to maximum level when i was a kid.and except the gods were angry with someone and decided to carry him away through storm which is normal; i have never seen a wild storm as this which struck like metaphysical agent wanting to dash the world to obliteration.for this reason; i see the reason for us all to act in unification".after he had ended his observation.room was given to others too to share their thoughts which they earnestly did.
They all had concurrence on taking their predicament to their god to seek knowledge of the phantom world of fiends.for this; the village priest spiritual dispensation was sought.
Coincidentally,the priest was among the seating delegates.he brought out a little bag within the large leather bag worn across his shoulder in a slant.he placed the wrapped little bag on the floor.he untie the stuff and brought out rhino's primal horn which he draw closer to his mouth, chanting earnestly and submissively in phantom lingo that most couldn't convey.when it seemed he was satisfied with his rites; he poured out pebbles harboured in the horn onto the ground.then went silent for a while before translating the message.
"The supreme god of the beasts has this to say on our calamity.it said this was the handiwork of the Nubians.they infested us with that in other to weak our utmost collective strength.this is designed to pave way for them to get us conquered easily without resilience"
People were perturbed to hear that.and it shown in their countenances.for Nubia empire is so dreadful, rootless and firmly brawny as a whole.they asked for the safest route out of this menace,and the priest repeated his previous rites.he told them the only way to avoid there impending conquest is to send a volunteered designation into 'the land of aliens'.the land where timid men went and dried into bone.the place of resort,where courageous souls dine with intermediaries between celestial powers and terrestrial lives.it is there,their appeal could be taken into the abode of the league of supreme gods at the courtyard of heaven,for refining their destiny and fate in association with their enemies on earth.the priest further warned that failure to carried this out in time is sending message to more disaster or an inevitable conquest.
They all shook their heads in pity and disbelief because they never knew that they already signed a treaty with a devil.they are in for a long ride because the land of the alien is the least someone could ever sign for. except the subject is ready to bade farewell to his family.
After enough consideration and group discussion within the seating congress.it was thrown into the air to know who would be patriotic enough to volunteer himself for the journey.
"as you all knew that i have been battling an ailment for the past two moons,i will appreciate it if you can exclude me out of the race". Eba-Kukude said.Eba-Ogoje took it from him.
"for you all know how my love for the progressive of this domain of ours is to me. I'm sorry that my old age wouldn't help my urge on this".
"as it seemed i may be the youngest of all here.i would have prepare myself for this task.but my pregnant wife is few months to her delivery.i beg your pardon to be out of the race also". Eba-Atako said.
Almost half of the seating congress gave reason to be excluded.and the rest stared in awkwardness.when it seemed trying to get a volunteer remained unfruitful as there's no one to bell the cat; the meeting was brought to an end with the people heading to their different destination in dismay.
Re: The Mischievous Whirlwind by Ade00Adeniyi: 4:57pm On Apr 11, 2022
Your feedbacks would go a long way in motivating me to devote more time on this.

(1) (Reply)

Content Writer/copywriter /article Writer / Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story / Terrorism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.