Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,840 members, 7,872,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:42 PM

Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name (1052 Views)

Saka: Why I Turned Down Nigeria For England / Dinma, Wilfred Ndidi's Wife Gave All Friends Flower Instead Of Throwing Bouquet / Thierry Henry Apologizes For Calling Kenny Lala's Grandmother a LovePeddler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name by solbase10(m): 2:25pm On Apr 12, 2022
Arsenal youngster, Bukayo Saka has revealed why he was given the name ‘Bukayo’ by his grandmother.

The England international, who was born to Nigerian parents, said his grandmother named him Bukayo because she wanted him to bring joy to the family.

Saka, who graduated from the Arsenal’s Hale EnAcademy, said his father contributed immensely to his success story in football.

“My grandma gave it to me because of its meaning,” he told GQ Magazine when asked about his Yoruba name ‘Bukayo’.

“It means ‘God has added joy to my life.’ She wanted me to add joy to the family, so she named me that…Every time she called me, that’s probably what I meant to her,” he said.

Saka has been a shining light for Mikel Arteta’s Gunners this season as they battle for a place in the top four in the Premier League, which will guarantee them a return to the Champions League.

Source: https://www.completesports.com/saka-why-my-grandmother-gave-me-a-yoruba-name/

Re: Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name by Mariangeles(f): 2:45pm On Apr 12, 2022
Are Busayo and Bukayo the same in meaning?
Re: Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name by JoyousFurnitire(m): 2:59pm On Apr 12, 2022
Mariangeles:

Kinda

“It means ‘God has added joy to my life.’ She wanted me to add joy to the family, so she named me that…Every time she called me, that’s probably what I meant to her,” he said.

Same meaning

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name by gasparpisciotta: 4:56pm On Apr 12, 2022
Na so.

Best young player in the English Premier League.

English when doing well.....
Re: Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name by lascos912(m): 5:34pm On Apr 12, 2022
Mariangeles:
yes d same

1 Like

Re: Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name by Mariangeles(f): 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2022
lascos912:
yes d same

OK. Thanks.

Just as Bukola and Busola mean the same right?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 12, 2022
One of the greatest
Re: Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name by lascos912(m): 10:51pm On Apr 12, 2022
Mariangeles:

OK. Thanks.
Just as Bukola and Busola mean the same right?
yep
Re: Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name by Freelancer2020(m): 11:13pm On Apr 12, 2022
Nothing do you omoluabi, but na green white green you suppose to dey wear.
Re: Saka: Why My Grandmother Gave Me A Yoruba Name by uthlaw: 7:00am On Apr 13, 2022
gasparpisciotta:
Na so.
Best young player in the English Premier League.
English when doing well.....
foden play in bundesliga!

(1) (Reply)

Fall Of The Super Chickens! / English Money For English Players / Step By Step Guide To Making Guaranteed Cash From The English Premier League :

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.