Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,484 members, 7,911,139 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 05:21 AM

What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? (365 Views)

Testimonies From Day 5 Of RCCG's Holy Ghost Congress / Pastor Adeboye Ambushed At RCCG Holy Ghost Congress / Mentally Challenged Woman Healed At RCCG Holy Ghost Congress - Autoreportng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by tctrills: 9:01am On Apr 16, 2022
What role does the Holy Ghost play in our lives? How does one get the Holy Ghost? Do we still need the Holy Ghost today?
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by Steep(m): 9:18am On Apr 16, 2022
1.The holy ghost is the agent of the new birth

2. He is the seal of salvation.

3. He teaches, comforts and empowers our spirit man.

4.the gift of the holy spirit belongs to Him.

5. He transform builds and grows our spirit man and causes transformation in our character to reflect christ, i.e He is the spirit of holiness.

6. He is God in us and brings the presence of God in us.
7. He leads and instruct the church in following christ.

8.The reason why believers can do greater things than Jesus is because of the holy spirit.

9. He causes increase in the church, Jesus left about 120 disciples through out his earthly ministry but just one day of the arrival of the holy spirit about 3000 souls were added to the 120.

10. He establishes and make one grounded in the faith of Jesus Christ.

11. He helps us to pray.

12. He helps us to discern

13 He Helps us to serve God effectively.

14. In the holy ghost there is peace, joy and righteousness

15. He is the one that will resurrect our bodies and transform it to be like Jesus.

16. At the rapture, he lift us to be with Jesus in the air.

17.He abides in us forever and ever

18. The holy spirit does so much too numerous to lis, He builds and sanctify the church to reach the measure of the fullness of christ.
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by exCHRISTIAN: 9:43am On Apr 16, 2022
To make you:

Commits evil

Lie

Kill

Make pastors rape underage girls

Make Bishop sodomise church members

Holy Gost is responsible for you losses

Make you commits adultery

Male pastors extort members

In fact, Holy Gost = Satan [devil]

Know this, know christianity.
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:00am On Apr 16, 2022
exCHRISTIAN:
To make you:

Commits evil

Lie

Kill

Make pastors rape underage girls

Make Bishop sodomise church members

Holy Gost is responsible for you losses

Make you commits adultery

Male pastors extort members

In fact, Holy Gost = Satan [devil]

Know this, know christianity.

O God, how long shall the adversary reproach? shall the enemy blaspheme thy name for ever?

Remember this, that the enemy hath reproached, O Lord, and that the foolish people have blasphemed thy name.

:for the dark places of the earth are full of the habitations of cruelty.

Arise, O God, plead thine own cause: remember how the foolish man reproacheth thee daily.

23 Forget not the voice of thine enemies: the tumult of those that rise up against thee increaseth continually.

And since this man curseth thee because of his pain and suffering, his pain and suffering shall be greatly multiplied until his destruction. It shall be impossible for him to find any good thing, only evil and great evil shall he get for the rest of his life filled with evil things.
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:01am On Apr 16, 2022
tctrills:
What role does the Holy Ghost play in our lives? How does one get the Holy Ghost? Do we still need the Holy Ghost today?

When you have Him, ye would know!
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by Janosky: 11:27am On Apr 16, 2022
tctrills:

No ghost is holy.
Ghost is a demon.
Only Holy spirit is scripture.
Bitter truth some persons don't wanna hear.
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by judedwriter(m): 12:44pm On Apr 16, 2022
tctrills:

1. The Holy Ghost is the power of God. He empowers us with God's power.

2. To receive the Holy Spirit, accept Jesus as your lord and saviour. Then ask for the baptism of the Holy Spirit in faith with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

3. The Holy Spirit manifests God's presence and power to us, He is so important to us today.
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by tctrills: 2:02pm On Apr 16, 2022
Janosky:

No ghost is holy.
Ghost is a demon.
Only Holy spirit is scripture.
Bitter truth some persons don't wanna hear.
But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the[b] Holy Ghost[/b]."
Mark 13:11
"And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost [/b]shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."
Luke 1:35,
But the Comforter, which is the [b]Holy Ghost
, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."
John 14:26
"But ye shall receive power, after that the [b]Holy Ghost [/b]is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."
Acts 1:8,
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the [b]Holy Ghost [/b]and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him."
Acts 10:38,
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Apr 16, 2022
tctrills:
Below is God's reason for giving His very own Spirit to those who belong to Him in His New Covenant, Jesus Christ, as Seal of His agreement with them. undecided
24 “I will take you out of those nations, gather you together, and bring you back to your own land.
25 Then I will sprinkle pure water on you and make you pure. I will wash away all your filth, the filth from those nasty idols, and I will make you pure.
26 I will also put a new spirit in you to change your way of thinking. I will take out the heart of stone from your body and give you a tender, human heart.
27 I will put my Spirit inside you[c] and change you so that you will obey my laws. You will carefully obey my commands. - Ezekiel 36 vs 24 - 27
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by Janosky: 8:07pm On Apr 16, 2022
tctrills:

But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the[b] Holy Ghost[/b]."
Mark 13:11
"And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost [/b]shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."
Luke 1:35,
But the Comforter, which is the [b]Holy Ghost
, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."
John 14:26
"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost [/b]is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."
Acts 1:8,
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the [b]Holy Ghost [/b]and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him."
Acts 10:38,

[b]Koine Greek Holy spirit is in the holy Scriptures.
Greek Bible lexicon has no word for "ghost".
Oga, receive sense.

Ghost is a man made contraption in your KJV.
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by tctrills: 9:10pm On Apr 16, 2022
Janosky:

Koine Greek Holy spirit is in the holy Scriptures.
Oga, receive sense.

You are no Greek expert just another rude boy on nairaland. Do you know more Greek than the scholars that translated the bible?
You are not a scholar just a talking head repeating what you were told like it were some poem. Do you speak Greek? why should anyone take you serious.
I would not take your knowledge of translation very serious unless you are a scholar.
If you want, I would send you the works of scholars in another post.
Scholars hardly ever agree on translations so when someone with zero knowledge in the field claims to know I am baffled by such superfluity of nothingness.
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by tctrills: 9:47pm On Apr 16, 2022
Janosky:

Koine Greek Holy spirit is in the holy Scriptures.
Oga, receive sense.

Lets learn from different scholars many of whom don't agree with themselves.

Most people assume that Holy Ghost is simply an antiquated name for the Holy Spirit, and that Spirit is less ghastly than Ghost. In one sense this is true (for modern readers), but in another, there is a real advantage of speaking of the Holy Ghost rather than the Holy Spirit.

Is Ghost too Ghastly?
One of the major reasons people give for dismissing the KJV term Holy Ghost is because ghost sounds too ghastly. And, actually, the English words come from the same family. The Old English word gast meant “breath,” much like the Greek word pneuma (from which we get pneumatic tools). In 1611, there was no more frightening imagery associated with the word ghost than we have today with the word spirit (which can have a positive or negative “vibe”). In fact, the Geneva Bible (1560) the Tyndale Bible (1526) and the Wycliff Bible (1382) all use the word ghost when referring to the Holy Spirit.

But words do change, and ghost has come to be almost exclusively associated with evil spirits or, at best, with the paranormal.

However, don’t be quick to dismiss the KJV because it uses an antiquated or inappropriate word. In fact, the term Holy Spirit was just as accepted in 1611 as Holy Ghost, but the word ghost was selected for a very important reason.

God has a spirit that is holy, and there is a Holy Spirit
What may surprise you is that the KJV uses the term Holy Ghost 90 times (exclusively in the New Testament), but it also uses the term holy Spirit seven times (three in the Old Testament and four in the New Testament). While some have stated that this is just sloppy translation on the part of the KJV translators, such a position would be sloppy research. The KJV translators had a very specific purpose in mind when they sometimes translated pneuma as spirit, and other times a ghost.

It is no surprise to you that God has a spirit, and the “spirit of God” is much different than the “Holy Spirit.” That is, the spirit of God (or spirit of the Lord) is not necessarily the third Person of the Trinity. In the places in which the KJV translators understood the “Holy Spirit” to be the third Person of the Trinity, they used the words Holy Ghost. However, in times in which they determined the “spirit of the Lord,” or they believed there was a shadow of doubt that the reference was to the third Person of the Trinity, they used the word Spirit.

For example, Psalm 51:11 records an event that was much earlier than the Holy Ghost was received, and even prior to promises that He would be given. However, there was an understanding of the Spirit of the Lord from the earliest pages of Scripture. When David was confessing before God, his prayer was, “take not thy holy spirit from me.” The KJV does not capitalize the term. The New King James, following the lead of virtually all modern translations, says, “take not Your Holy Spirit from me,” making the assumption that David was indwelt with the person of the Holy Ghost, a questionable position at best.

In the New Testament, the KJV uses “holy Spirit” (lower case “h” and upper case “S”) in Ephesians 1:13, 4:30, and 1 Thessalonians 4:8. In these verses, the context is the Spirit of God (or of the Father), and the KJV translators determined that this was different from the third Person of the Trinity. In fact, even today we would never hear the words “Holy Ghost of God” or “Holy Ghost of the Father,” and would intuitively know that this would be problematic speech. There is a “spirit of the living God” and a “Holy Ghost,” and we should keep these separate.

The final New Testament use of Spirit is Luke 11:13, where the KJV says, “…how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?” At first glance, one would see this as an inconsistency with the KJV pattern. For one, it is the only passage in which “Holy Spirit” is completely capitalized, and thus a clear reference to the Holy Ghost. In addition, this appears to be a reference to the promised sending of the Holy Ghost. Why would the KJV not use the term “Holy Ghost” in this verse? For understanding, a little historical digging proves valuable. First, we see that there is a close reference to the “heavenly Father,” and it appears that the 1611 KJV translators originally viewed this as the Father sending His holy Spirit and not the sending of the Holy Ghost. However, the capitalization of both words indicates the third Person rather than the Father’s spirit. But in the original 1611 version, you will find the capitalization as “holy Spirit,” in the same manner as the other three “Spirit” translations in the New Testament. Only in later editions of the KJV did editors determine that this was more likely a reference to the Holy Spirit than a holy Spirit, and they made a capitalization change but not a word change to show their editorial opinion.

Advantages of the KJV precision
About four years ago, I began to abandon the NASB (which I had used for 25 years) and adopted the KJV. One of the biggest reasons I did this is because I noted a precision in the KJV that simply isn’t available in any other translation. This is an example of that precision. Not all pneuma is the same, and a direct translation may not, in this case, be the most accurate translation.

I am going to “retrain my tongue” to use the term “Holy Ghost” when referring to the third Person of the Trinity, and using the word “spirit” when referring to the “spirit of the Lord.” It is not the first time I have had to work hard to retrain the tongue to rid myself of modern, evangelical pablum (or outright error). You may not choose to follow me in your own references to the third Person of the Trinity, and I won’t be offended. But as for me, I will use the term Holy Ghost.

In Judaism, the Holy Spirit, also known as the Holy Ghost, is the divine force, quality, and influence of God over the universe or over his creatures. In Nicene Christianity, the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity. In Islam, the Holy Spirit acts as an agent of divine action or communication. In the Baha’i Faith the Holy Spirit is seen as the intermediary between God and man and “the outpouring grace of God and the effulgent rays that emanate from His Manifestation.”[1]

Contents
1 Comparative religion
2 Abrahamic religions
2.1 Judaism
2.2 Christianity
2.3 Islam
2.4 Baháʼí Faith
3 Other religions
3.1 Hinduism
3.2 Zoroastrianism
3.3 Gnosticism
4 See also
5 Further reading
6 References
6.1 Works cited
Comparative religion
The Hebrew Bible contains the term "spirit of God" (ruach hakodesh) in the sense of the might of a unitary God.[citation needed] This meaning is different from the Christian concept of the Holy Spirit as one person of the Trinity.[2]

The Christian concept tends to emphasize the moral aspect of the Holy Spirit more than Judaism, evident in the epithet Holy Spirit that appeared in Jewish religious writings only relatively late but was a common expression in the Christian New Testament.[3] Based on the Old Testament, the book of Acts emphasizes the power of ministry aspect of the Holy Spirit.[4]

According to theologian Rudolf Bultmann, there are two ways to think about the Holy Spirit: "animistic" and "dynamistic". In animistic thinking, it is "an independent agent, a personal power which like a demon can fall upon a man and take possession of him, enabling him or compelling him to perform manifestations of power" while in dynamistic thought it "appears as an impersonal force which fills a man like a fluid".[5] Both kinds of thought appear in Jewish and Christian scripture, but animistic is more typical of the Old Testament whereas dynamistic is more common in the New Testament.[6] The distinction coincides with the Holy Spirit as either a temporary or permanent gift. In the Old Testament and Jewish thought, it is primarily temporary with a specific situation or task in mind, whereas in the Christian concept the gift resides in persons permanently.[7]

On the surface, the Holy Spirit appears to have an equivalent in non-Abrahamic Hellenistic mystery religions. These religions included a distinction between the spirit and psyche, which is also seen in the Pauline epistles. According to proponents of the History of religions school, the Christian concept of the Holy Spirit cannot be explained from Jewish ideas alone without reference to the Hellenistic religions.[8] And according to theologian Erik Konsmo, the views "are so dissimilar that the only legitimate connection one can make is with the Greek term πνεῦμα [pneuma, Spirit] itself".[9]

Another link with ancient Greek thought is the Stoic idea of the spirit as anima mundi – or world soul – that unites all people.[9] Some believe that this can be seen in Paul's formulation of the concept of the Holy Spirit that unites Christians in Jesus Christ and love for one another, but Konsmo again thinks that this position is difficult to maintain.[10] In his Introduction to the 1964 book Meditations, the Anglican priest Maxwell Staniforth wrote:

Another Stoic concept which offered inspiration to the Church was that of "divine Spirit". Cleanthes, wishing to give more explicit meaning to Zeno's "creative fire", had been the first to hit upon the term pneuma, or "spirit", to describe it. Like fire, this intelligent "spirit" was imagined as a tenuous substance akin to a current of air or breath, but essentially possessing the quality of warmth; it was immanent in the universe as God, and in man as the soul and life-giving principle. Clearly it is not a long step from this to the "Holy Spirit" of Christian theology, the "Lord and Giver of life", visibly manifested as tongues of fire at Pentecost and ever since associated – in the Christian as in the Stoic mind – with the ideas of vital fire and beneficent warmth.[11]

Abrahamic religions
Judaism
Main article: Holy Spirit in Judaism
The Hebrew language phrase ruach ha-kodesh (Hebrew: רוח הקודש, "holy spirit" also transliterated ruacḥ ha-qodesh) is used in the Hebrew Bible and Jewish writings to refer to the spirit of YHWH (רוח יהוה).[12] The Hebrew terms ruacḥ qodshəka, "thy holy spirit" (רוּחַ קָדְשְׁךָ), and ruacḥ qodshō, "his holy spirit" (רוּחַ קָדְשׁוֹ), also occur (when a possessive suffix is added the definite article ha is dropped).

The Holy Spirit in Judaism generally refers to the divine aspect of prophecy and wisdom. It also refers to the divine force, quality, and influence of the Most High God, over the universe or over his creatures, in given contexts.[13]

Christianity
Main article: Holy Spirit in Christianity
For the large majority of Christians, the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost, from Old English gast, "spirit"wink is the third[14] person of the Trinity: The "Triune God" manifested as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; each Person being God.[15][16][17] Two symbols from the New Testament canon are associated with the Holy Spirit in Christian iconography: a winged dove, and tongues of fire.[18][19] Each depiction of the Holy Spirit arose from different accounts in the Gospel narratives; the first being at the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River where the Holy Spirit was said to descend in the form of a dove as the voice of God the Father spoke as described in Matthew, Mark, and Luke;[18] the second being from the day of Pentecost, fifty days after Easter where the descent of the Holy Spirit came upon the Apostles and other followers of Jesus Christ, as tongues of fire as described in the Acts of the Apostles,[20] as promised by Jesus in his farewell discourse.[21][22] Called "the unveiled epiphany of God",[23] the Holy Spirit is the One who empowers the followers of Jesus with spiritual gifts[24][25] and power[26][27] that enables the proclamation of Jesus Christ, and the power that brings conviction of faith.[28]

Many terms have become outdated: for example, a charger is a large platter (Matt 14:cool, commune meant to converse (Luke 24:15), coasts referred to any border, not just the edge of land and water (Matt 16:13); flux meant dysentery (Acts 28:cool; halt meant lame (Mark 9:45); a husbandman was a farmer (Matthew 21:33); let meant to prevent and prevent meant to go before (Romans 1:13 / Psalm 88:13); meat means all food; quicken means bring to life; study means to try hard (2 Tim 2:15); trow meant to suppose (Luke 17:9), for example.

While some appreciate the King James as an example of wonderful Jacobean literature, outdated language creates obstacles to understanding, and focuses on a particular antique translation rather than a more accurate and understandable version — it gives the impression that believers are mired in the past. To focus on which translation is preferred obscures the fact that all English New Testaments are translations of a text written in Greek that was already a translation of words spoken in Aramaic, and suggests that we care little for the actual words of Jesus.

The word spirit and ghost mean the same thing. Spirit is more of a Latin word and ghost is more Germanic.

However, the word ghost has taken on a different connotation than the word spirit. When we speak of ghosts we usually think of haunted houses and things that go bang in the middle of the night. Spirit is more of a philosophical word when people want to discuss the “human spirit” or how God is a spirit.

Back in 1611 the connotation of the word ghost was less “boo!” and more all inclusive. Even if you look at modern German you will see them use the word geist (ghost) when discussing philosophical matters like the word zeitgeist (the spirit of the age).

For whatever reason English users like Latin words when we are being fancy; we don't eat pigs we eat pork. Guess what the word pig and pork mean the exact same thing!

In short, Bible translators would rather use the refined Latin word when speaking about God. They don't want you to think God likes to float around with a white sheet and scare you in the middle of the night.

1.1K viewsView 8 upvotesView 1 share
Profile photo for Tochukwu Onyimadu

Profile photo for Marie O'Day
Marie O'Day
, Th.D. Bible/Theology & Communications & Writing, Public Speaking, (2011)
Answered Jul 11, 2018
The Holy Spirit Ghost and The Holy Spirit are the same word in Greek — Pneuma, translated- The Holy Spirit.

There are two other references to God's Spirit in scripture.

•God's holy Spirit in Is 63:11 is Ruach in Greek— translated God's breath.

•The Holy Ghost in Matthew 1:18 is Pneuma in Greek- translated The Holy Spirit, The third person of the Trinity.

•The Holy Spirit in Eph 4:30 is also Pneuma in Greek- translated The Holy Spirit, the third person of the Tinity.

•The Spirit of God in I Cor 12:3 is Theos in Greek — translated the Godhead (Father,Son,Holy Spirit)

The word for both ghost and spirit is the same Greek word. Let's look at the Strong's Lexicon.

G4151

Original: πνεῦμα

Transliteration: pneuma

Phonetic: pnyoo'-mah

Strong's Definition: a current of air, that is, breath (blast) or a breeze ; by analogy or figuratively a spirit, that is, (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, daemon, or (divine) God, Christ's spirit, the Holy spirit : - ghost, life, spirit (-ual, -ually), mind. Compare G5590

The terms were just chosen by the translators, however the term “Holy Ghost” seemed to be the more popular term used at the time. Not sure when Holy Spirit became more popular as it is today.

The two terms are not different in the Bible because there are not two terms. In Hebrew it is Ha Ruach Ha Kodesh. In Greek it is Hagios Pneuma.

The English term spirit comes from its Latin origin, spiritus, which is how the Vulgate translates both the Old and New Testament concept. The alternative term, "Holy Ghost", comes from Old English translations of spiritus.

Holy Spirit - Wikipedia

Shakespeare and the KJV translators thought of the word “ghost” differently to that which we English speakers think today. A person had a “ghost” while still alive, since the term applied to the human spirit. The idea of disembodiment and continued existence coupled with the thought that such beings might be either allowed or forced to remain on earth contributes to the much exploited idea of “haunted houses” and ghostly apparitions.
Older English translations of the Bible, hymns, and catechisms will often refer to the Holy Ghost rather than Holy Spirit. In the Latin texts, Spiritus, Pneuma in Greek. Spirit is a good translation; while in more ancient times, Ghost was a perfectly acceptable synonym for Spirit. By the late 20th and early 21st centuries, the term Ghost became increasingly associated with spirits of deceased people in a usually frightening context.
Re: What Is The Function Of The Holy Ghost ? by orisa37: 5:38am On Apr 17, 2022
TO BLEEP "MARIES" AND PRODUCE HOLY CHILDREN OF THE SUPREME SPIRIT.

(1) (Reply)

Spirit Lead Me (That Should Be Your Prayer) / I Am In / Is Christianity Really A "Bed Of Roses"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.