Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,403 members, 7,937,234 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 06:03 PM

Nigeria In 1998 Vs Nigeria In 2022!!! Which One Is Is Better Now? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria In 1998 Vs Nigeria In 2022!!! Which One Is Is Better Now? (709 Views)

Pope John Paul II Visited Abacha And His Family In Abuja In 1998 - Photos / Pope John Paul Visited Abacha And His Family In Nigeria In 1998 (Throwback) / Obasanjo And Wife, Stella After His Release From Yola Prison In 1998 (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria In 1998 Vs Nigeria In 2022!!! Which One Is Is Better Now? by Matrixlord2021: 12:58pm On Apr 20, 2022
I recall living in Lagos in 1998,and I noticed somethings that looked good.i had to goa long way back to see how things were back then and compare it to how it is now.
First of all
1)Economy:Yeah corruption was rife under Late General sanni Abacha's regime .The economy was looted and millions were carted to swiss accounts .
But back then ,A dorica of rice was N45, a dorica of beans N45 to 50 naira.
I still remember that a loaf of bread that was N20 looked big in my eyesback then talkless of the 10naira bread or 15nairabread I used to buy back then.
I remember an egg cost N10 back then and minerals cost between N10 and N20 naira .
The latest can be as high as N50.
Do we all recall in Lagos buying groundnuts for as low as 50k and N1.
The popular biscuits back then digestive and speedy was aslow as N5 and N10 naira.
Garri was good as easy to buy and pure water was as low as N1.
The truth of the matter is that no matter how the economy was back then and how things were harsh,the masses still had the affordability and purchasing power.
Foot wearfor school children sold least between N100 to 150 naira.
Exercisebooks soldbwtween 30 and 40 naira.
ELECTRICITY: Though it was erratic and unstable back then, light was available when necessary.
If Nepa took light for some minutes,they would bring it back if there was no fault at all.
This is what.am talkingabout.
Transportation:The then transport fee was so affordable and low.N10 had meaning and was useful back then .
50kobo had 5 meanings
N1 had 10 meanings
N2 had 20 meanings
N5 naira had 50 meanings
Do we recall that 5kobo,10kobo and 25 Kobo also existed before it was wiped out.
A plot
Land:I remember a plot of land going for N20k or N10k
Those people who are smiling now to the society are those who broughtlandback then.
Building: A bag of cement was 500-800 back then.
Things were cheap.ans affordable .
This is what am talkingabout.Despite the bad economy,the consumer purchasing power waa stable.
The poor masses could still eat
In year 2022, the purchasing power of the consumer is totally zero.
The naira is totally useless.
1)Economy:The economy in year2022, has been totally destroyed!!!!
The present government are only good at borrowing and indebting the country and creating more debt servicing.
A dorica of rice now is N900
A dorica of beans is 1000 -N1400 naira at least.
A load of bread is N200 from the smallest size to 400 naira the medium size depending on the quality.
The biggest loaf ia between 700 and 1000 naira if the quality varies till the best.
All the coin denominations have been phased out and they have become meaningless.
Even N5 naira has no meaning anymore and cannot buy you anything
An egg goes for 70 to 100 naira maximum for one .
Land:land has appreciated ,a plot varying on location goes for 1.5 million to N2 million in high rise areas whilein rural areas 600k down to N450k is the least.
The things money could have brought the least as consolation for the masses are now what the masses sees as a big LUXURY!!!! They can't afford.
Even Inferior goods are now hotcake and seen as a luxury
ELECTRICITY: POWER has become commercialized than operational to serve the people.
It is a thing that is following a quotasystem.to. Favour a certain part of the country more than the area light isnweded mostly.
Vandalism,sabotage and corrupt practices the order of the day.
Estimated overbilling is the practical common corrupt practice done by the power station as normalas they see it.can younpw notice all these things
Feel free to add your take with detailed analysis.
What is just wrong with this country,it seems the past is better than the FUTURE,WHILE THE MID PRESENT 2000S TO 2010 WAS THE BEST TIME WE HAD!!!
Re: Nigeria In 1998 Vs Nigeria In 2022!!! Which One Is Is Better Now? by Parachoko: 1:00pm On Apr 20, 2022
Me I prefer Nigeria of Gowon days.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria In 1998 Vs Nigeria In 2022!!! Which One Is Is Better Now? by Proudlyomonna: 1:12pm On Apr 20, 2022
Nigeria matter just weak person angry
Re: Nigeria In 1998 Vs Nigeria In 2022!!! Which One Is Is Better Now? by Efuaye(m): 1:17pm On Apr 20, 2022
As bad as things are now in 2022, I prefer it to the 1998 Abacha era even if it's for the little Democratic freedom we have now and the hope to choose a new government next year!
Under the Abacha's "leprous five fingers party" (apology to the late Bola Ige), it was a complete hopeless situation, but thank God for the famous "Apple".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria In 1998 Vs Nigeria In 2022!!! Which One Is Is Better Now? by Frigga13: 1:24pm On Apr 20, 2022
Abacha managed The economy better .. no one dares under Abacha .. infrastructures were built and states created

Today they loot more than Abacha even imagined to loot and front it on your faces

Funniest be say

Na those who fight Abacha pass.. Na dem Dey look with recklessness and wish their generations will continue

Same people shout corruption pass under JonathAn

Today Na dem be corruption and support corruption
They will abuse and curse in defending corruption

Very funny people

Yoruba sef

Power must return to the people ... not human gods
Re: Nigeria In 1998 Vs Nigeria In 2022!!! Which One Is Is Better Now? by Matrixlord2021: 7:30pm On Apr 20, 2022
You guys are partially right but one thing that was still ok in abachas time is the currency that Nigerians can use to buy things.
Now Its useless!!!
Thata the irony of it all!!!

(1) (Reply)

I Said It and it Came To Pass!!...Peter OBI! / Many Northerners And Westerners Will Not Vote Jonathan Again.... / To Be Sincere With Our Self, Tinubu Is The Next President Of This Country!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.