Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,322 members, 7,881,183 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:02 PM

Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair (845 Views)

PDP Chair: Sheriff Intensifies Lobby As Southwest Group Threatens Defection / Governor Amaechi Unveils Automated Monitoring Device For Road Projects In Rivers / Salisu Buhari Appointed Into UNN Governing Council (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by nwaigbomg(m): 7:55am On Jul 08, 2011
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/july/07/national-07-07-2011-017.html

UNN develops automated dental chair
From CHIDI NNADI, Enugu
Thursday, July 07, 2011

More Stories on This Section

Scientists at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, have recorded a major technological breakthrough by successfully designing and producing automated dental chair with locally sourced materials.

This was disclosed at the 60th UNN inaugural lecture entitled: “Enhancing Healthy Human Life Through Bioengineering and Rehabilitation Medicine,” delivered by the Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences and Technology, Prof. Chuba Okoye.
According to Prof Okoye, the dental chair was a whole-body balanced bed, which could easily be adapted for non-invasive intensive care monitoring, adding that it would require minimal maintenance if well developed.
He pointed out that the device would go a long way in enhancing the country’s march to technological growth.
“With the availability of such semi-conductor device with relevant specifications, many simple electronic medical devices can be easily fabricated or assembled,” he said.

He described the success of the project as a monumental technological breakthrough in the 21st Century even as he thanked the former Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof Chinedu Nebo for commissioning him, as well as funding the production of the dental chair at the Biomedical Engineering Research and Development Centre, College of Medicine, UNN.

Apart from the dental chair, the research team, led by Prof. Okoye also designed and developed multi-position hydraulic variable surgical operating table, solar energized phototherapy units, steam sterilizer, electric kerosene gas, non-invasive intensive care monitoring bed for developing countries, among others.
Following these achievements, the don, therefore, called for the establishment of a biomedical engineering research and production centre in the country to serve as a pragmatic solution to the intractable problem of healthcare equipment production.

He said the centre would ensure the provision of adequate trained manpower for the design, development, production, utilization of simple medical equipment, the availability of adequate number and quality of healthcare equipment and their spare parts for effective maintenance and repair.

Earlier, the Vice Chancellor, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Prof. Bartho Okolo, who was represented by the Deputy Vice Chancellor of the Enugu campus, Prof. Mrs. Ifeoma Enemo, reiterated the commitment of the institution to invest in research work, saying that Prof. Okoye was the only Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine in UNN, and now a pride not only to the institution, but also to Africa.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by seanet02: 7:59am On Jul 08, 2011
Copy and paste technology.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by nwaigbomg(m): 8:19am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

why can't u do same in UI and OAU?
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by Mobinga: 8:20am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

Its better than nothing. ldiot.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by Patsey: 9:04am On Jul 08, 2011
i can't make a sense of these so called inventions. rubbish claims.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by seanet02: 9:13am On Jul 08, 2011
Mobinga:

Its better than nothing. ldiot.
You are Ma*d
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by texazzpete(m): 9:18am On Jul 08, 2011
How is this a 'major technological breakthrough'?

nwaigbo_mg:

“With the availability of such semi-conductor devic[/b]e with relevant specifications, many simple electronic medical devices can be easily fabricated or assembled,” he said.

He described the success of the project as a[b] monumental technological breakthrough
in the 21st Century even as he thanked the former Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof Chinedu Nebo for commissioning him, as well as funding the production of the dental chair at the Biomedical Engineering Research and Development Centre, College of Medicine, UNN.

'semiconductor device'? 'monumental technological breakthrough'?
How did this man become a Dean?
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by DisGuy: 9:19am On Jul 08, 2011
Apart from the dental chair, the research team, led by Prof. Okoye also designed and developed multi-position hydraulic variable surgical operating table, solar energized phototherapy units, steam sterilizer, electric kerosene gas, non-invasive intensive care monitoring bed for developing countries, among others.

They invented a chair, a bed and an operating table lmao!! I bet the next line would be 'the government should come and patronise us'

No picture nothing o

when their mates are creating man made organs, they are knocking wood together and rubbing oil

A 36-year-old cancer patient received the organ a month ago at the Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm.

The process involved scientists at University College London, who were given three-dimensional scans of the windpipe of Andemariam Teklesenbet Beyene, a geology student from Eritrea with an inoperable, cancerous tumour that was obstructing his breathing.

They created a glass mould of the windpipe and his two main bronchial tubes, which was then coated in a polymer containing millions of tiny holes.

It was flown to Sweden where it was “seeded” with stem cells from Mr Beyene’s bone marrow and placed in a bioreactor for two days to allow the cells to take root. Further cells were taken from his nose to line the windpipe.

Prof Paolo Macchiarini, a Spanish surgeon, carried out the 12-hour transplant operation. He praised the construction technique, which meant that “custom-made” windpipes could be produced within a week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8624593/Transplant-of-worlds-first-man-made-organ.html
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by seanet02: 9:28am On Jul 08, 2011
nwaigbo_mg:

why can't u do same in UI and OAU?
Look at this ediot. Are you talking of UI that has its own water treatment plant, its own sewage system, a mini dam or lagos city polythecnic that produces a locally made colour Television that involves local patent and not your copy and paste shyt.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by seanet02: 9:35am On Jul 08, 2011
texazzpete:

How is this a 'major technological breakthrough'?

'semiconductor device'? 'monumental technological breakthrough'?
How did this man become a Dean?
Me sef i wonder when i can produce an electric water heater and electric cooker with my integrated science knowledge of junior school. Even with a primary 2 student may do this. Ibos and ingenuity.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by ebere1712: 9:36am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

Look at this ediot. Are you talking of UI that has its own water treatment plant, its own sewage system, a mini dam or lagos city polythecnic that produces a locally made colour Television that involves local patent and not your copy and paste shyt.
haha UNN invented dental chair  grin, and OAU invented color television  grin
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by seanet02: 9:40am On Jul 08, 2011
ebere1712:

haha UNN invented dental chair  grin, and OAU invented color television  grin
Can you read and comprehend? Go back and read my post.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by Mobinga: 9:49am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

You are Ma*d
Shut the phuck up you slut, what? All you do is showcase your imbecility everywhere, tribalist bltch! You should be shot.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by ektbear: 9:56am On Jul 08, 2011
Dis Guy:

They invented a chair, a bed and an operating table lmao!! I bet the next line would be 'the government should come and patronise us'

No picture nothing o

when their mates are creating man made organs, they are knocking wood together and rubbing oil

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8624593/Transplant-of-worlds-first-man-made-organ.html

^-- Research above is frikking amazing, lol. Damn. I'm impressed.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by seanet02: 10:08am On Jul 08, 2011
Mobinga:

Shut the phuck up you slut, what? All you do is showcase your imbecility everywhere, tribalist bltch! You should be shot.
You stewped? Am not a female, you go find your lesbian mate for your village. Stop stalking me i repeat.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by Afam4eva(m): 10:45am On Jul 08, 2011
No matter how this innovation may be, let's encourage them.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by texazzpete(m): 11:56am On Jul 08, 2011
afam4eva:

No matter how this innovation may be, let's encourage them.

Ah, the obligatory 'let's encourage them' post. Now expecting the 'Government should patronise/sponsor us' post grin

Abeg, let's move away from this unsavory hyperbole. See a whole dean babbling about 'semiconductor device' and 'major technological breakthrough'. Any moment now he'll be calling for the Nobel prize.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by Mobinga: 12:30pm On Jul 08, 2011
texazzpete:

Ah, the obligatory 'let's encourage them' post. Now expecting the 'Government should patronise/sponsor us' post grin

Abeg, let's move away from this unsavory hyperbole. See a whole dean babbling about 'semiconductor device' and 'major technological breakthrough'. Any moment now he'll be calling for the Nobel prize.

Because its "rare", its not everyday you hear about developed "tech" from a Nigerian University, they deserve some credit. cool

seanet02:

You stewped? Am not a female, you go find your lady-loving-lady mate for your village. Stop stalking me i repeat.

Your father.
Re: Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair by seanet02: 12:38pm On Jul 08, 2011
Mobinga WTF is your problem? I don't date lesbi@ns. Leave me alone. Your Mother

(1) (Reply)

Un House Blast: We’ll Capture Mamman Nur –abolurin, Civil Defence Chief / Large Libyan Armored Column 'arrives In Niger' / Ajimobi, Aregbesola Vow To Keep Joint-ownership Of Lautech Intact

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.