Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,613 members, 7,917,965 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 07:17 PM

My Canada Immigration Story - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Canada Immigration Story (7070 Views)

I Finally Got My Canada Visa!!! / My Canada Hustle - How The Go Dey Go / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Canada Immigration Story by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 25, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Definitely but internships at faang still gets leetcode. They posted one question for apprenticeship at Bloomberg on the Facebook group I was in and even the senior devs there were shocked. The question was later found on leetcode and it didn't even have a solution and was rated very hard. People were asking why they would give apprentices and interns who don't know anything such questions to solve but that's the game and everyone is expected to play.

I'm not surprised but that's not the norm and many companies don't do that. An internship is like a joint training program between companies and educational institutions for the students to understand practical applications. You still go through an interview but not like you described.
Re: My Canada Immigration Story by ednut1(m): 4:12pm On Apr 25, 2022
Studymore123:

The OP presented an objective report which is very true. He had a first class and great experience but didn't get any offer despite several applications. He had to up his game by attending a highly rated institution and earning a professional degree with good grades. He also had no family and minimize distractions and relied majorly on the millions of naira he saved.

But you always sound as if jobs are waiting for anyone in Canada. I quoted you earlier saying there's always a need to up the game if you want to be in that league. We have many others who are stuck on customer service and retail jobs. Getting the Canadian experience or higher degree is essential.

maybe its because i'm coming from a field where i don't need to up my game, regardless i have seen many Nigerian who moved to next level from those jobs. if they can do it, anyone can. If you have opportunity to japa vs current good life in Nigeria. Still japa and hope for the best. You can always return to Nigeria when you have you passport, it sorts out future medical expenses and guarantees a future for the kids.

2 Likes

Re: My Canada Immigration Story by steadyMoving22: 5:17pm On Apr 25, 2022
ednut1:
maybe its because i'm coming from a field where i don't need to up my game, regardless i have see many Nigerian who moved to next level from those jobs. if they can do it, anyone can. If you have opportunity to japa vs current good life in Nigeria. Still japa and hope for the best. You can always return to Nigeria when you have you passport, it sorts out future medical expenses and guarantees a future for the kids.

Spot on chief.

2 Likes

Re: My Canada Immigration Story by richie3384: 3:28am On Apr 26, 2022
mousery:

mechanical engineering. 'Sir' is a little too much grin
Sir isn't really "sir" just regard it as slang or boss
Ll
Re: My Canada Immigration Story by richie3384: 3:35am On Apr 26, 2022
Studymore123:

Thanks for your piece. It's very encouraging. I can relate with how we treat expatriates in Nigeria. Imagine being on a rate of 2000 USD daily with accommodation and feeding provided for someone whom you are better than but you are not recognized. Your ability to overcome challenges is inspiring. All the best.

Did you say 2000USD DAILY?
Re: My Canada Immigration Story by mousery(m): 4:32am On Apr 26, 2022
richie3384:

Sir isn't really "sir" just regard it as slang or boss
Ll
Oh, I get. No mind me
Re: My Canada Immigration Story by mousery(m): 4:33am On Apr 26, 2022
richie3384:

Did you say 2000USD DAILY?
Typical. Yes, I had expat colleagues earning $2000-2500 daily. It's not even unusual. For 30-45 days stretch.
Re: My Canada Immigration Story by NuCypher: 4:26am On Apr 29, 2022
mousery:
My immigration story

(To be continued) wink
You try
Re: My Canada Immigration Story by flashguru: 9:28pm On Apr 30, 2022
mousery:
My immigration story

(To be continued) wink

Your story is really inspiring. I am currently charting a similar path. I would like to ask so after all the leet coding are now in a full developer role or you just fulfilled that requirement to get into the job?
Re: My Canada Immigration Story by satandeterrible: 10:45pm On Apr 30, 2022
mousery:

I was at the intersection of networking, scripting and devops. But no core programming.
We're the jobs you applied for strictly Devops jobs?
Also, do you work on a devops role now?

1 Like

Re: My Canada Immigration Story by satandeterrible: 6:41am On May 01, 2022
Also, Mousery, what's your current tech stack.
I have come to know devops as requiring less coding generally, so its strange that you'd get leet code questions if you were applying for devops role.
Perhaps you switched fully to software development?

1 Like

Re: My Canada Immigration Story by mousery(m): 4:10pm On May 04, 2022
satandeterrible:

We're the jobs you applied for strictly Devops jobs?
Also, do you work on a devops role now?
I applied for software developer roles, but will also be working at the intersection of data engineering and software engineering.
Re: My Canada Immigration Story by mousery(m): 4:23pm On May 04, 2022
satandeterrible:
Also, Mousery, what's your current tech stack.
I have come to know devops as requiring less coding generally, so its strange that you'd get leet code questions if you were applying for devops role.
Perhaps you switched fully to software development?
Regardless what role you apply for here in tech, whether it's devops or data science, you are likely to get leetcode questions. For some though, you won't get leetcode, mostly for consulting companies. But for Capitalone data science, for example, you will get leetcode. Depends. Facebook will give you SQL and case studies for product data science roles. For FB devops, you get leetcode. So, it depends. For most software engineering roles, you get LC.
For FB applied scientist, you are likely to get leetcode, but more on describing algos for ML problems. And some will just use leetcode questions for general screening in first technical interview before switching. So, leetcode is always a constant feature, even if it's not software engineering.
Re: My Canada Immigration Story by satandeterrible: 5:02pm On May 04, 2022
mousery:

I applied for software developer roles, but will also be working at the intersection of data engineering and software engineering.
OK. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Canada Immigration Story by Oluwatosin2019: 10:05pm On Jun 03, 2022
Hello Mousery, thank you for sharing your immigration story. It is really inspiring. I would like to seek a personal counsel from you. I can be reached at globalscholar20@gmail.com. At your convenience, please let me know how to contact you. Again, thank you very much for your noble act of selflessness.
Re: My Canada Immigration Story by kennethfranc(m): 2:44pm On Aug 17, 2022
@Hannania

There you go

1 Like

Re: My Canada Immigration Story by Hannania(m): 4:25pm On Aug 17, 2022
kennethfranc:
@Hannania

There you go
Thanks Man

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

International Passport Problem / At Ikoyi Passport Office, Old Things Pass Away As Facility Leaves Applicants / The Evolving City Of Uyo

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.