Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,136 members, 7,916,334 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 08:43 PM

BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo (307 Views)

Toyota Camry Crashes Into Nissan In Edo As Police Chase Suspected Yahoo Boys / Nscdc Officers Invade Ministry Interior Board, Frowns At The Released Promotion / Photos: Deeper Life Bible Church Completes 45,000 Capacity Headquarters In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by eddie7: 9:50pm On Apr 25, 2022
One case too many

[b]BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo

There is palpable tension along Okigwe road in Imo State after sounds of gunshots rented the air at the state’s headquarters of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) on Monday evening.

The Okigwe road, which is a major route that connects Owerri to the Imo state University and other major communities in the state, was deserted at about 5:45 pm on Monday.

Commuters and passersby had scampered for safety following an alleged exchange of gunfire by police officers and men of the NSCDC.

An eyewitness told THE WHISTLER on the condition of anonymity that the gunshots lasted for more than 30 minutes.

“Oga, it’s a faceoff between the police and Civil Defense.

“I heard that the Civil Defence guys mistakenly beat up the new police commissioner and his men came there for a revenge mission.

“I feared for my life and that of my customers as we all laid flat on the floor for what looked like eternity.”

An NSCDC source confirmed to our correspondent that the police attacked the NSCDC headquarters but could not provide details.

More details to follow…[/b]

https://thewhistler.ng/breaking-gunshots-as-police-nscdc-officers-clash-at-headquarters-in-imo/
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by Gentlerespect76: 9:53pm On Apr 25, 2022
eddie7:
One case too many

[b]BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo

There is palpable tension along Okigwe road in Imo State after sounds of gunshots rented the air at the state’s headquarters of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) on Monday evening.

The Okigwe road, which is a major route that connects Owerri to the Imo state University and other major communities in the state, was deserted at about 5:45 pm on Monday.

Commuters and passersby had scampered for safety following an alleged exchange of gunfire by police officers and men of the NSCDC.

An eyewitness told THE WHISTLER on the condition of anonymity that the gunshots lasted for more than 30 minutes.

“Oga, it’s a faceoff between the police and Civil Defense.

“I heard that the Civil Defence guys mistakenly beat up the new police commissioner and his men came there for a revenge mission.

“I feared for my life and that of my customers as we all laid flat on the floor for what looked like eternity.”

An NSCDC source confirmed to our correspondent that the police attacked the NSCDC headquarters but could not provide details.

More details to follow…[/b]

https://thewhistler.ng/breaking-gunshots-as-police-nscdc-officers-clash-at-headquarters-in-imo/

There was a country! Chaaiii, Nigeria.
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by silverlinen(m): 10:00pm On Apr 25, 2022
Damn...so police wan dey boss civil defense now?
Na wa ooo.. everybody just dey oppress somebody for these corntree
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by Baawaa(m): 10:04pm On Apr 25, 2022
Do they born their fathers well to try that with NA,our police are useless, I hate them with passion

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by Namdeenero(m): 10:12pm On Apr 25, 2022
Chai! Law enforcement officers are fighting themselves. What a shame

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by Macphenson: 10:17pm On Apr 25, 2022
fdgggg
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by decatalyst(m): 10:38pm On Apr 25, 2022
It's a total breakdown of law and order under a supposed former Army general and sage, a Senior advocate of Nigeria.

It's a shame. It's a new low.
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by Wisebird22(m): 11:06pm On Apr 25, 2022
Police,the want to have problems with all other security agencies,we all need each other to survive,if other security agencies leave the work for them to do can they (police) cope with the security challenges that Nigeria have,abeg make peace reign.
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by heendrix(m): 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2022
Lol it's Bcuz they see NSCDC as children of same mother who are handed guns after two weeks of training na why dem get mind go flex power. if na Army now, na delegation and representative dem go send go meet COs and nothing will definitely come out of it.

I was expecting to read police storm military barracks to avenge bla bla...dem go too die troway grin in that their nonsense black regalia angry
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by Ablemed: 11:19pm On Apr 25, 2022
But Army dey everly fvck police up pass this na but why dem no dey mobilize go do shooting practice for barracks??

oh I forgot, fuel no dey dey their motor
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by Offpointng: 11:27pm On Apr 25, 2022
I can't imagine NSCDC or police beating up a Major Gen (GOC) of a state up no matter how tiny or little he might look, but look at a whole commissioner beaten to a pulp

But that aside, nothing wey we no go see for this Buhari era. even police sef dey mobilize go fight sister force?? grin Police??... Lmao wonders shall never end
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by eddie7: 8:17pm On Apr 26, 2022
PRESS RELEASE
 UNLAWFUL ARREST AND DETENTION/SERIOUS ASSAULT OCCASSIONING HARM ON A POLICE SUPERINTENDENT BY CIVIL DEFENCE PERSONNEL

The attention of the Imo State Police Command has been drawn to a news making rounds on social media captioned “Police Attack Civil Defence Personnel in Imo State". It is most unfortunate that, some news media will publish stories without confirming same to ascertain the true facts of the story.

The Command view this with all seriousness and sees it as a calculated attempt to dent the robust synergy the Command is enjoying with other Security Agencies in the state since the assumption of office by the Commissioner of Police, CP Mohammed Ahmed Barde, psc+.

The true facts of the incident that occurred on the 25/4/2022 at about 1630 hours, in the Civil Defense Corps Office, was that on 24/4/2022 at about 2010 hours, a Police Superintendent Ezenwanne Nonso, a Mobile Police Officer and the Armament Officer of No. 18 Mobile Police Force, Owerri, was driving in his car heading to Imo Police Command Headquarters on an assignment, on reaching Control Post Round About, there was a heavy traffic Jam, where drivers were trying to maneuver their vehicles to free themselves from the traffic. While the officer was trying to make way for himself, the Civil Defence Personnel who alighted from his rear, hit the Police Officer’s vehicle violently, shouting and ordering him to remove his vehicle from the road. He replied the Civil Defence Officer that he is equally trying to see how he can free himself from the traffic, only for the Civil Defence Officer to slap him hard on his face calling him a stupid man. At that point he alighted from his vehicle, introducing himself as a Police Superintendent serving at Police Mobil Base, Owerri. It was as if he angered him the more and he gave him another slap and others joined in beating him. The police officer then brought out his phone to put a call to his Commanding Officer but they seized the phone, rushed into their vehicle and zoomed off.

The police officer had to manage and followed them to their office. On getting there, he demanded for his phone, but they refused rather they dragged him into their office, beat him up and seized his service pistol. After much torture, he was locked up in their cell not minding his plea to call his Commanding Officer. The officer slept in the cell till the next day.

For the sensitive office the officer is holding, his disappearance became alarming to every office in the Base and they were suspecting kidnapping. Hence, a search party was organized. When all efforts made to trace his whereabout proved abortive, his phone was tracked and the result led the team to the Civil Defence Headquarters Owerri.

On arrival, the team of Policemen made enquiries to confirm if there was any Police officer detained in their custody. The Civil Defence Personnel became hostile, ordering them to leave or they will shoot them. When the Police insisted, they started shooting into the air. The Mobile Police Officers sensing danger, professionally used minimal force to defend themselves by using teargas. Hence, the Civil Defence Personnel scampered for safety and in the process the Police Superintendent was rescued gallantly from their custody leaving nobody hurt or injured.

It is pertinent to mention here that in the ethics of the Force, whenever any member of the Force is arrested by any Security Agency, it is mandatory that the arrested personnel’s office is immediately informed, which is the standard practice.

It is laughable that a very Senior Police Officer of the rank of a Superintendent was arrested and detained for over Twenty-Four (24) hours by the Civil Defence Corps, Imo Command and the Commandant never deemed it necessary to inform the Commissioner of Police as required by law, moreso, when the victim pleaded for them to allow him put a call to his Commanding Officer or the Commissioner of Police.

Meanwhile, the officer is presently on admission at the Police Medical Centre, Amakohia.

The Commissioner of Police, Imo Command, CP Mohammed Ahmed Barde, psc+ while commending Imolites for their unalloyed support, pleaded for calm and appealed to Imolites go about their lawful businesses without fear of harassment. He then directed the Deputy Commissioner of Police in-charge of State Criminal Investigation Department (SCIID) to commence detailed investigation into the remote cause of the incident, promising that, at the conclusion of investigation the outcome will be made public.

CSP MICHAEL ABATTAM
POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
FOR: COMMISSIONER OF POLICE
IMO STATE COMMAND.
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by eddie7: 8:17pm On Apr 26, 2022
PRESS RELEASE

In response kindly quote:
AAA.003/CPRD/NHQ/ABJ/VOL/04/07
Date: April 26, 2022
Head of News

IMO INVASION: NSCDC CG SUES FOR PEACE, URGES CONTINUOUS COLLABORATION AND SYNERGY WITH SISTER AGENCIES.

The Commandant General of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Dr Ahmed Abubakar Audi, mni has sued for peace and directed personnel of the NSCDC Imo State Command to remain calm and not take laws into their own hands following the invasion of the Command along Okigwe road, Owerri by some heavily armed personnel of a sister security agency.

Dr Audi maintained that security is a collective responsibility and every agency of government empowered by law to protect lives and property of Nigerians must work together and see themselves as partners in progress, noting that two wrongs cannot make a right and there are more progressive channels to resolve issues amicably without necessarily resorting to violent attacks on each other's personnel or facilities.

He described the invasion of its Command headquarters in Imo state as avoidable and unnecessary in the face of synergy and collaboration that is needed to combat the various security challenges in the country and urged all NSCDC personnel to maintain a high level of civility and decorum by avoiding any form of confrontation with other security and law enforcement personnel while going about their lawful duties.

Addressing his personnel on the matter, Dr Audi maintained that the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps is committed to peaceful coexistence among security agencies and remained undaunted despite all that transpired.

"Our mandate of securing lives and protecting Critical National Assets and Infrastructure is very sacrosanct in ridding the nation of criminal elements and economic saboteurs, therefore, I urge you to remain focused, resolute and continue to maintain harmonious relationship with your professional colleagues on the field at all time, even in the face of harassment and intimidation". CG said

As the lead agency in safeguarding all Critical National Assets and Infrastructure, Dr Audi directed all officers and men of the Corps to carry out the Presidential order of clamping down on economic saboteurs, petroleum pipeline vandals and illegal bunkerers across the nation, reiterating the need to abide by the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Code of Ethics of the NSCDC.

"We are committed to synergy and collaboration with other agencies despite what has happened, I therefore, urge all my officers to remain calm and avoid any form of reprisal attack by allowing the leadership of both agencies to resolve the matter amicably. We are also seeking the support of members of the public in the fight against insecurity affecting our dear nation through timely release of intelligence information that could lead to arrest of all criminal elements disturbing the peace of the country." CG said.

SIGNED:
DCC OLUSOLA ODUMOSU
DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
NSCDC NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS, ABUJA.
Re: BREAKING: Gunshots As Police, NSCDC Officers Clash At Headquarters In Imo by eddie7: 8:18pm On Apr 26, 2022
NSCDC commandant in Imo accuses policemen of assaulting him

NSCDC commandant in Imo accuses policemen of assaulting him

The Commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps in Imo State, Michael Ogar, has accused men of the Imo state police command of attacking NSCDC headquarters in Owerri and assaulting him while in their office.

Addressing journalists today April 26, Ogar said some policemen allegedly invaded the NSCDC headquarters in Owerri, on Monday evening, April 25, and made away with phones, damaged his official vehicle, and confiscated exhibits belonging to his Command.

He claimed that the police attack on the NSCDC headquarters was sequel to a policeman, one Nonso Ezenwanne, who obstructed his convoy on Sunday in Owerri, while coming back from the scene of oil explosion at a Forest in Abaezi community in the Ohaji/Egbema Local Government Area of the state.

Ogar said that the cop was detained because he claimed to be a policeman, but with multiple identification cards.

“My personnel had an altercation with Ezenwanne following the disruption of my motorcade while returning from the scene of the inferno at an illegal oil bunkering site in the state on Sunday.

As though, that wasn’t enough, he trailed us to Owerri and blocked my motorcade again and brought out a pistol threatening to shoot us, but he was later disarmed and arrested.

I had reached out to the former acting Commissioner of Police, DCP Giwa, to identify the suspect, which is the norm, but it yielded no result as he said he had been transferred to Kaduna. We didn’t see anybody to identify him.

It was on my way to see MOPOL 18 Commander, just about 10 meters away from the NSCDC office, that I saw eight vehicles that blocked me and started shooting into the air and my vehicle.

hey dragged me out, flogged and battered me, and later took me to their Command where they continued to beat me with sticks and baton,” the Commandant said.

Ogar added that after about three hours, an Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of operations later came to his rescue and took him home.

“I came back to my office to see the extent of damage caused and then realised that two of my personnel got bullet injuries and were receiving treatment in hospital. Some items were also missing from the office.

They accepted that the items were in their custody and that the matter will be resolved today.

I told them that this incident is a disgrace to security agencies; I was surprised. I don’t think we are here to flex muscles or pursue work ego but to defend our fatherland.

I was highly disappointed and embarrassed by the action of MOPOL 18,” Ogar said

NSCDC Head of Operations, Deputy Commandant Benjamin Nwaokafor, who received gunshot wounds on his leg and hand is currently receiving treatment at the Federal Medical Centre, Owerri

(1) (Reply)

Information On Certified Fraud Examiner / Crude Oil Lifting Licence For Sale To Export Crude Oil In Large Quantity From Ni / About Me: Ejikeme Magnus Omeje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.