Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,848 members, 7,872,839 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:37 PM

Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix (47026 Views)

Latest News: Hausa Movies Industry Now Have Their Own Netflix / Own Your Own Netflix Account / BBNaija: Vandora "My Ex Used To Slide It In While I Sleep And I Don't Feel It" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by tragergeorge(m): 9:28am On Apr 29, 2022
Hopez456:
Also, electricity was constant to a very large extent unlike now.
electricity has never been constant,,for low current when them de bring some steady....5area de share one transformer
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by Mrkcee(m): 9:30am On Apr 29, 2022
Stanweezy:

That period that word sounds like doomerage grin as the person is doom for keeping it more than the agreed time frame.

I remember vividly, #20 Doomorage fee. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by Johel(m): 9:35am On Apr 29, 2022
Winningbot:
grin

Chai...I remember one man at abule egun ipaja that yeah..."GEMINI home videos",Omo that man really liked I and my bro so much that he allowed us rent movies on credit and he even plays the latest films at his shop so we could rent em...from him I first saw, Spawn, replacement killer, die hard, Electra,black hawk dawn, the killer by chow Yun fat and many more...good old days,when Naija knew love and kindness...no be now wey everybody Na money money money,hate, envy , competition.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by Missionaire: 9:35am On Apr 29, 2022
chatinent:
In my street, a CD was sold for about N1500 then. But we were allowed to rent for N100 and return with no scratch.

Then, producers will always use Osuofia or Ibu to warn against pirating the movie. Lol.

But my guy and I then always copied to our diskette and resold for N200...until we saved and bought a harddisk of 1tb then.

I'll carry my heavy Dell laptop everywhere I had a deal. Lol. I sold games, movies, and apps.

We were making up to N10k daily. We were big boys.

We even transferred to the phones of those who could afford a phone. We also flashed phones and all that.

Then we bought GameBoy and Playstation and set up a game house for N50 per match for a game less than 3 minutes. And their addiction makes one person pay up to N1k. Lol. We go home with over N15k daily. We were celebrities and all those girls with oversized blouses wanted us. grin

During that period of Nnnena, I made over N150k in a day then...cos I had the full movie so those who the suspense of the movie caught, and who were impatient bought it for N3000. Lol. I encrypted it so you can't share it. I sold other Soap Operas too.

In fact, people were always calling me for movies, games, and apps. People I transacted with introduced their friends since I encrypted most of my softwares with passwords, and the inability to share. grin That was my strategy.

The days of 2go too na so we go crack 2go remod...we no dey buy GoCredit again. We resold for N3k. Made over N500k. Lol

You see technology? Just be ahead of the current trend and you'll be making money.
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by Creamypie(m): 9:38am On Apr 29, 2022
tollyboy5:
When my dad was still working at CBN . He has this video cassette shop he run as side hustle .
People came to rent cassette that year.

Every home has rewinder. This na around 2001 lol

Modified:
Old men full this forum grin . Na like 2001 I understand sey na VHS and AKIRA VCD we dey use.
Some people here are already teenagers as at 1993, awon agba!
chai

1 Like

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by OtopDesign(m): 9:38am On Apr 29, 2022
Johnnycastro18:
The good old days of watching Nigerian films like osufia in London, rattle snake, karashika, Diamond ring etc grin

Egg of life

1 Like

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by samuelson06(m): 9:40am On Apr 29, 2022
Jossyroyal1:
Funny how time flies

Funny thing is that there will be new invention that will make what we cherish today look obsolete

I doubt. I feel we've come to the end of time.
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by ImaIma1(f): 9:42am On Apr 29, 2022
tollyboy5:
When my dad was still working at CBN . He has this video cassette shop he run as side hustle .

Modified:
Old men full this forum grin . Na like 2001 I understand sey na VHS and AKIRA VCD we dey use.

And if you had a portable DVF player, you were balling.

2 Likes

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by Bmaster(m): 9:48am On Apr 29, 2022
southsouthking:

osufia in London?

I was expecting to hear the following!
Belove Emeka Ike x Genevieve
Take me to Mama Saint Obi
Lion of Africa Pete Edochie.
Etc
Take me to mama is about the only nigerian film they burnt a car for real.
I stand to be corrected though

1 Like

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 29, 2022
Councillor Video Rentals. Back in the days
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by cerpvad(m): 9:53am On Apr 29, 2022
This business is still running in some part of the country. Also while I am driving, I still often see some guys on the road selling musical audio/video CDs of renowned artists

1 Like

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by Lifewasgood: 9:53am On Apr 29, 2022
Netflix Logs available

1k a month
1500 for 2 months
3k for 4 months
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by doshiyad1: 9:53am On Apr 29, 2022
Jossyroyal1:
Funny how time flies

Funny thing is that there will be new invention that will make what we cherish today look obsolete

Absolutely correct.That's why i don't envy people no matter what they have acquire in life/who they have become because what they have at that time and the talked about eg. houses, cars, shoes, bag etc will turn out to be obsolete even after a month of production so why kill yourself by even going as far as joining yahoo,yahoo, ritual killings, prostitution,419 and co,just to belong and oppress people around or even your family is not worth it. Mind you, new tread comes out almost on a monthly bases. If God helps you and answer your call, you will acquire better ones but just be sure that yours too will become obsolete if you doubt me,ask the rich people of those days that's even far the ones of 5 yrs ago. My motto is: don't envy anyone instead be happy for them so that yours will come in a better/special way, don't ever be in competition with anyone not even your siblings/relation for anything, trust God to bless you and make you rich through handwork/ the works of your hand or even through a destiny helper above all, pray for preservation,protection and long live in good health,strength and sound of mind (peace) and every other thing will automatically follow if you remain faithful and resilient . Shalom!

2 Likes

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by ignis: 10:03am On Apr 29, 2022
Very correct.
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by aluko360(m): 10:11am On Apr 29, 2022
yesloaded:
For South West, we dey call am video club

People started the biz during the days of VHS not even VCD

Fond memories.
I remember Muyik video club and Segzy Video club in Akure in the early 90s
N2 to rent VHS movies and N3 on a weekend.
There was a charge for late returns too.

1 Like

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by henrimoto(m): 10:16am On Apr 29, 2022
ChoCho54:
That was in the good old days, when girls were virgins and sex was sexy.

I'm talking about the days of VHS

...even in the days VHS, many girls were not virgins. No be today e start, e don tey.

1 Like

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by seamfund: 10:18am On Apr 29, 2022
chatinent:
In my street, a CD was sold for about N1500 then. But we were allowed to rent for N100 and return with no scratch.

Then, producers will always use Osuofia or Ibu to warn against pirating the movie. Lol.

But my guy and I then always copied to our diskette and resold for N200...until we saved and bought a harddisk of 1tb then.

I'll carry my heavy Dell laptop everywhere I had a deal. Lol. I sold games, movies, and apps.

We even transferred to the phones of those who could afford a phone. We also flashed phones and all that.

Then we bought GameBoy and Playstation and set up a game house for N50 per match for a game less than 3 minutes. And their addiction makes one person pay up to N1k. Lol. We go home with over N15k daily. We were celebrities and all those girls with oversized blouses wanted us. grin

During that period of Nnnena, I made over N150k in a day then...cos I had the full movie so those who the suspense of the movie caught, and who were impatient bought it for N3000. Lol. I encrypted it so you can't share it. I sold other Soap Operas too.

In fact, people were always calling me for movies, games, and apps. People I transacted with introduced their friends since I encrypted most of my softwares with passwords, and the inability to share. grin That was my strategy.

The days of 2go too na so we go crack 2go remod...we no dey buy GoCredit again. We resold for N3k. Made over N500k. Lol

You see technology? Just be ahead of the current trend and you'll be making money.

Omo bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by akpumping7720(m): 10:22am On Apr 29, 2022
How time flies. Clapperboard Tv station. DBN tv station, superscreen tv. I think DBN use to mistakenly show bluefilm that year sef. When we come back from school me and my friend Ochuko will start turning the antennae up and down make we see 18+ movie watch. I remembered one of Ochuko neighbour had sender that time. The man would connect his sender to his video player and we will be watching on our own tv.
When you rent this cassette that year u don't go home with the jacket, just the cassette.
I remembered during festive period, especially christimas and ileya naaa so so empty jackets go full these video rental shops.
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by ChoCho54(f): 10:31am On Apr 29, 2022
Deltatoto:
that time if u Dey penetrate woman she go Dey shout now if u Dey enter woman she go Dey check her WhatsApp status.
grin. Mahdo!!
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by ChoCho54(f): 10:32am On Apr 29, 2022
henrimoto:
...even in the days VHS, many girls were not virgins. No be today e start, e don tey.
At least we still get small reserve then grin
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by ChoCho54(f): 10:33am On Apr 29, 2022
armadeo:

Ruth Benemesia ( opia).

I used to like this name that year
I loved her ugly beautiful face and cool demeanor.

1 Like

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by ChoCho54(f): 10:33am On Apr 29, 2022
tommy589:

Nostalgia

You take me back to many years ago with Ronke Ayuba name you mentioned. She was known then as Ronke Darley,a beautiful and a delightful newscaster to watch. She was missed when she no longer grace our screen,until she appeared again in the 80s as Ronke Ayuba.
Hmmm wink
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by ChoCho54(f): 10:35am On Apr 29, 2022
phemmyfour:
Days of using cotton wool and spirit to clean the VHS head if you don't have cleaner

Days of ejecting the cassette before Nepa takes light grin
And if Nepa take light as film dey go on, it's stuck there till Nepa says otherwise.
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by ChoCho54(f): 10:36am On Apr 29, 2022
Deltatoto:
that time if u Dey penetrate woman she go Dey shout now if u Dey enter woman she go Dey check her WhatsApp status.
Hahaha hahaha grin

Ewee.
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by ChoCho54(f): 10:37am On Apr 29, 2022
nairaman66:

And handheld rewinders of Cassettes.

If you even hold the hands of a girl, you will have a wonderful dream! Now, sex is like handshake.. Shame!
Chai! It's the handshake for me grin
Sex on the streets?
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by ChoCho54(f): 10:38am On Apr 29, 2022
Bobmarie:
Girls were virgins?

Lmao. You all should stop this huge lies about women back then Abeg

E say na sex was sexy
Baba compare then and now and see for yourself. cheesy
Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by matrix199(m): 10:58am On Apr 29, 2022
tollyboy5:

Modified:

Do mistake watch film finish no rewind am come return am to rental shop, Dem go fine you N20.

Chai, how time flies.

2 Likes

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by dammywapes(m): 10:59am On Apr 29, 2022
What are you doing now ? And did you invest the money ?
chatinent:

1 Like

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by 989900: 11:10am On Apr 29, 2022
ChoCho54:
Yeah. Gold spot, Ruth Benemesia, Elizabeth Nze, Sola Omole, Ronke Ayuba.

1 Like

Re: Ọmọ! That Year. This Used To Be Our Own Netflix by Goalnaldo(m): 11:15am On Apr 29, 2022
Our own had VCR. My brother use to record interesting movies or Tom and Jerry on it which we watch later.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: Housemates Rock "One Corner" Dance / Bbnaija Housemates Emerging Top 5 On The Show / #bbnaija: Alex Apologizes To Cee-c In Front Of Other Housemates (videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.