Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,773 members, 7,882,668 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 11:30 AM

Lagos Shuts Schools, Asks Workers To Stay At Home - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Shuts Schools, Asks Workers To Stay At Home (693 Views)

Yobe Shuts Schools Over Boko Haram Attack / Yobe Shuts Schools Over Boko-Haram Attack / Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Shuts Schools, Asks Workers To Stay At Home by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 11, 2011
The Lagos State Government on Sunday asked pupils of public schools in the state to stay at home on Monday (today) to allow the government carry out an impact assessment of the floods in the state.

A statement by the Commissioner for Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello, quoted Governor Babatunde Fashola as also asking proprietors of private schools to take a cue from the government by asking their pupils to also stay at home today.

It said though the governor was mindful of the fact that the students would commence their examinations on Tuesday, it wished to “appeal for special dispensation to protect these children— the most vulnerable members of our society—from the devastating effects the floods and heavy rains can cause.”

The statement reads in part, “Due to the heavy downpour experienced in Lagos State today(Sunday), His Excellency, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, has directed that all children in public schools remain at home tomorrow (Monday) to enable the state government assess the impact of the floods on property and social infrastructure across the state.

“Even though the drainages across the state were recently cleared and fully operative, the high level of water from the rainfall like recent occurrences in the developed and developing world have been unusually high, which no standard drainage- no matter how efficient can contain.

“The state government had earlier warned that the rains this year are likely to be more intense than usual, and these predictions are manifesting. There are no guarantees that these intense rains will not continue. What the state government guarantees however, is that all our resources have been deployed to minimise the impact of the floods and minimise the inconvenience of this natural occurrence. Our men are on the field 24 hours to assuage the sufferings of Lagosians during these times.

“We therefore appeal for patience and extra precaution from all Lagosians to mitigate the dangers that the persistent rains have caused.

“We would like to seize this opportunity to also appeal to workers, to as much as possible, keep within the confines of their homes to avoid congestion on the roads and highways. Businessmen and self employed citizens who can afford to work from home should please do so tomorrow to enable us work throughout the day without congestion on the roads.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201107113343646
Re: Lagos Shuts Schools, Asks Workers To Stay At Home by gidson12(m): 7:17am On Jul 11, 2011
Kai see as this rainy season dey fall this man(fashola) hand, lagosians don dey change tone, no more praises, quote me wrong, i'm yet to see a project of this man that has affected the life of the common man.
Re: Lagos Shuts Schools, Asks Workers To Stay At Home by Fogman(m): 7:36am On Jul 11, 2011
Applauded decision.
Re: Lagos Shuts Schools, Asks Workers To Stay At Home by phantom(m): 7:46am On Jul 11, 2011
Yet he wants to build a 102Billion naira airport and a magical city on water, lol, shiny projects! Something more serious stares this man in the face and hes busy with propaganda, tiny rain and lagos is flooded, that means the kain rain wey dey fall for south south go sink lagos
Re: Lagos Shuts Schools, Asks Workers To Stay At Home by gidson12(m): 8:29am On Jul 11, 2011
^^he keeps embarking on white elephant project to decieve lagosians and using the media to polish his false appearance, other state governors who are actively working are doing to silently to the satisfaction of the people, now all those false facade are about to be washed away by the flood, LAGOS is sinking o!!, do i hear someone say 'eko oni baje'
Re: Lagos Shuts Schools, Asks Workers To Stay At Home by nateevs(m): 9:36am On Jul 11, 2011
gidson12:

^^he keeps embarking on white elephant project to decieve lagosians and using the media to polish his false appearance, other state governors who are actively working are doing to silently to the satisfaction of the people, now all those false facade are about to be washed away by the flood, LAGOS is sinking o!!, do i hear someone say 'eko oni baje'

phantom:

Yet he wants to build a 102Billion naira airport and a magical city on water, lol, shiny projects! Something more serious stares this man in the face and hes busy with propaganda, tiny rain and lagos is flooded, that means the kain rain wey dey fall for south south go sink lagos

Both of you are ignorant. Is Fashola "building" the project? Can you tell us how much rain fell? Then check historical statistics or rain levels and come back and tell us if this is unprecedented or not.

"Tiny rain" is what one of you said, when it is widely accepted that it rained for 17hrs. How can that be tiny rain?

BRT, Ferry transport, Bus Lanes, Road construction, Street lights, on-going construction of the Lagos-Badagry express-way, road markings, Street signs are a few examples of things he has done to benefit the common man.

You think bigger projects like the on-going construction of the Lagos-rail, the Eko Atlantic City and Lekki free trade zone will not benefit the common man? Please keep your opinions to yourself.
Re: Lagos Shuts Schools, Asks Workers To Stay At Home by gidson12(m): 10:59am On Jul 11, 2011
^so lagosians should all be happy for street light and road signs, now their properties and houses are being destroyed in the flood, mr man this is not a natural disaster, it is just rain that should should flow through d drainage n canals, and the absence of it caused flooding,
Re: Lagos Shuts Schools, Asks Workers To Stay At Home by nateevs(m): 12:00pm On Jul 11, 2011
gidson12:

^so lagosians should all be happy for street light and road signs, now their properties and houses are being destroyed in the flood,  mr man this is not a natural disaster, it is just rain that should should flow through d drainage n canals, and  the absence of it caused flooding,

You stumbling on falling on your own vomit. You said in your own words.

gidson12:

I'm yet to see a project of this man that has affected the life of the common man.

And I did you a favour of listing a few. Now you have to come back telling me how Street lights are not for the common man, how new roads, street signs, repair of the ailing third mainland bridge, BRT, Lagos Rail, clearing of Oshodi, waste disposal, cleaning of roads, construction of B/Stops, orderliness at B/Stops to name a few are all not for the common man.

You don't even have to search for long. Follow this link and look at the people working on the Lagos Rail Blue Line. Do you see men with Bentleys and Ferraris there? Tell me you don't see the common man. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-477443.416.html

Go and watch videos of the Eko Atlantic on youtube and tell me the people working there are not the common men.
When the whole place is complete, how many people do you think will be employed? Even you may get a bigger job and I wonder what your utterances then will be.

Piling work has begun on the first building on Eko Atlantic. Follow this link and check the people working there. . . Do they look like they can afford houses in Lekki? https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-477443.416.html

Have you not gone past the Ultra modern Tejuosho market recently? Do you see Dangote and his ilk trading there?

Please educate yourself before coming out with such drab.

(1) (Reply)

‘as A Senator In 1992, I Was Earning N6,500 Per Month’ / What Do Ngozi Okonjo Iweala And Dora Akunyili Have In Common? / Would Gaddafi Have Actually Killed The People Of Benghazi ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.