Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,865 members, 7,876,298 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:17 PM

"Your Success Or Failure In Life Is Not Completely Deserved." Do You Agree? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Your Success Or Failure In Life Is Not Completely Deserved." Do You Agree? (195 Views)

Joe Igbokwe: Ebelechukwu Obiano Deserved The Slap From Bianca Ojukwu / Petrol Subsidy Not Completely Gone, Says Minister / Nigeria Was Not Completely Debt Free In 2007, As Claimed By Atiku Abubakar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"Your Success Or Failure In Life Is Not Completely Deserved." Do You Agree? by socialmediaman: 6:58pm On May 03, 2022
According to a commencement speech at his son's ninth-grade graduation ceremony by John Roberts, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Share Your Thoughts

Excerpt from his speech in 2017:

Now the commencement speakers will typically also wish you good luck and extend good wishes to you. I will not do that, and I’ll tell you why. From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly, so that you will come to know the value of justice. I hope that you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty. Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time so that you don’t take friends for granted.

I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either. And when you lose, as you will from time to time, I hope every now and then, your opponent will gloat over your failure. It is a way for you to understand the importance of sportsmanship.

I hope you’ll be ignored so you know the importance of listening to others, and I hope you will have just enough pain to learn compassion. Whether I wish these things or not, they’re going to happen. And whether you benefit from them or not will depend upon your ability to see the message in your misfortunes.

https://time.com/4845150/chief-justice-john-roberts-commencement-speech-transcript/

lalasticlala mynd44 seun

(1) (Reply)

Amalgamated Advocates Kick Off Their Activities In Port Harcourt / Watch Moment Peter Obi Supporters Delivers Letter To The PDP In Wada Abuj / We Are Behind You – Emir Of Katsina Hails Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.