Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,647 members, 7,885,687 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 01:31 PM

Best Way To Format A Letter Properly - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Best Way To Format A Letter Properly (279 Views)

Could This Be The Best Way To Prevent Exam-cheating (pix) / My 8yr Old Daughter Was Ask To Write A Letter To Her Brother Or Sister. See Thi / HAPPY TEACHERS DAY: A Letter To A Teacher By A 4th Grade Pupil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Best Way To Format A Letter Properly by KingClavi(m): 10:22am On May 07, 2022
In order to write a good letter, you must know how to address the letter properly. Poor addressing of Letters may ruin your intent of the letter.

Follow the guides below to learn how to address a letter properly.

Top right: Your details in this order
Full name and title
Job title
Email Address
Phone Number
Full address
Today’s date

Note the following:
1. Avoid using email addresses that aren’t professional i.e. Big-Jezza-Manu@gmail.com

2. Use the full date without abbreviations i.e. October 3rd 2018

Left-hand side: Recipients details in this order
Full name and title
Company or organisation
Full address

Introductory line
Dear
Recipients title (when applicable)
Recipients full name

Tip: If you don’t know the recipient’s name, write ‘Dear Sir or Madam’.

Formatting the body of your letter

Opening paragraph
Use your opening paragraph to introduce yourself and your reason for writing the letter.

It’s crucial that your message is direct and underlines why you’re contacting the recipient. Consider this paragraph as a direct way to capture their attention.

Main body
Use this space to delve into the issues raised in the opening paragraph. Give more detail of what you’re offering or asking of the recipient, backed up by relevant information.

Consider this paragraph as an exploration of the points raised in the opening paragraph.

Closing statement
Ensure that you include a closing statement that thanks the recipient for their time, knowledge or help with the discussed points.

It’s good practice to include a line such as ‘please contact me at your earliest convenience’ to show your interest in communication and readiness to act.

Signing off
Signing off at the end of your letter is one of your last opportunities to make an impression. Depending on your relationship and reason for writing to the recipient, there are several options available to you. If in doubt, picture yourself as the recipient, how would you like to be addressed?

Very formal
These options are acceptable when you’re contacting someone for the first time or you’re discussing a serious issue.

Yours sincerely
Yours respectfully
Yours truly

Yours faithfully – appropriate if you don’t know the recipient’s name

Formal
These options would still be acceptable when contacting someone for the first time but demonstrate a friendlier tone.

Kindest regards
Kind regards
Yours appreciatively
Relaxed formal

Once you’ve established a relationship with the recipient, there is no need to maintain a formal tone (unless you’re discussing a serious issue).

Warm regards
Best wishes
With regards
Thank you
Best

Signature
Including your signature at the end of a formal letter displays professionalism. You can either do your signature by hand after printing the letter.

What to avoid when you’re writing a formal letter

1. Spelling and grammatical errors. Grammarly is a free tool you can use to proofread your work.

2. Using contractions, i.e. ‘i’m’ should read ‘I am’. ‘That’s’ should read ‘that is’.

3. Including unnecessary information.
Making the same point multiple times.

4. Overcomplicated language, i.e. ‘the issues highlighted are indicative of future failings’ could read ‘I believe these issues will lead to a problem’.

SOURCE:
https://writaz.com.ng/best-way-to-address-a-letter-properly/

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

#chessinhausa: Chess In Hausa Language By Jawolusy / JAMB Gives Reasons Why Your Admission Can Be Terminated Ahead Of Screening. / Economic Scholarshipsat SRM Institute Of Science And Technology India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.