Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,767 members, 7,945,390 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 04:12 PM

It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary (416 Views)

Hungary Vows To Block Transit Of Lethal Weapons To Ukraine / Ukraine Must Join The EU: Zelenskiyy Remains Defiant / Robert O'Neill Says It's 'Time To Kill People' After Kabul Terror Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by Teazer4(m): 1:31pm On May 10, 2022
It’s time to stop coddling the autocrat in Budapest for the sake of self-preservation.

Dalibor Rohac is a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. He tweets at @DaliborRohac.

Following the Brexit referendum, many had feared other countries might repeat the British example, eventually unraveling the European Union. But if anything, the United Kingdom’s shambolic divorce proceedings had the opposite effect, tempering Euroskepticism across the Continent.

For one country, however, a departure from the EU might well be the only answer to its deep and irreconcilable differences with Brussels: Hungary.

Hungary and the rest of the EU currently find themselves on opposite sides of the most important geopolitical issue of our time — Russia’s war against Ukraine. “You don’t support Ukraine using military means to defend its territory?” BBC’s Stephan Sackur recently asked Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s spokesman, Zoltán Kovács. His answer? “That’s right.”

Even as Germany and other traditionally vacillating members have now moved in the direction of an oil embargo against Russia, Hungary continues to delay the decision, using arguments that are as inflammatory as they are ridiculous.

Those who have a sea and ports are able to bring oil on tankers,” Orbán said in a radio interview last week. “If they hadn’t taken it away from us,” he added, referring to the Dalmatian coast, once a part of the Hungarian Kingdom but now part of an independent Croatia and an EU member as well, “we would also have a port.” - My AOC-OP

Of course, this is not the first time Hungary finds itself at odds with the rest of the EU. From the rule of law through to gay rights, asylum policy and relations with China, Orbán has made a habit of defying the European consensus, earning applause from the likes of American Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

No fake news, no propaganda, I Dey dig news from both west and pro Russian media, then I filter the information before I digest. That’s one of the ways, you widen your knowledge on Global Affairs- OP

https://www politico eu/article/its-time-the-eu-plays-hardball-with-hungary-viktor-orban/amp/

3 Likes

Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by sanpipita(m): 2:09pm On May 10, 2022
Hungary is one funny country, they are not only an EU nation they are also in NATO, if they are always going to disagree with these organizations aims and objectives why don't they just resign from them.

They are forming Pro Putin/Pro Russia but yet maintain NATO membership such duplicity
Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by Teazer4(m): 2:18pm On May 10, 2022
sanpipita:
Hungary is one funny country, they are not only an EU nation they are also in NATO, if they are always going to disagree with these organizations aims and objectives why don't they just resign from them.

They are forming Pro Putin/Pro Russia but yet maintain NATO membership such duplicity
their issues is kinda complicated, the man don’t wanna get caught up in someone’s else mess ni. He does have valid reasons tho, Hungary is landlocked.

Literally, no be say most countries in the west give a fvck about Ukraine like that, but most of em Dey save face ni.
He no wan make dem drag him into something wey go backfire, I don’t blame him.

He’s not proPutin in anyway, he just put his citizens first, for me that’s a good leader, not the ones wey go act first and think later.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by jimetagambo: 2:25pm On May 10, 2022
sanpipita:

Remember that Hungary is ruled by a far right politician (Viktor Orban)

Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by jimetagambo: 2:56pm On May 10, 2022
More.

Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by jimetagambo: 2:57pm On May 10, 2022
He is obviously Pro Putin. Which is not surprising being a far right politician.

Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by Teazer4(m): 3:09pm On May 10, 2022
jimetagambo:
He is obviously Pro Putin. Which is not surprising being a far right politician.
don’t get it twisted bro, according to the the liberals most conservatives are proPutin….. the screenshots you shared was befor the invasion, so well and check his other subsequent shows.
I’m a fan of Tucker, he’s a strong Trump’s ally, oh according to the Lefts Trump is also proPutin. Anyone that disagrees with their views na proPutin
Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by jimetagambo: 3:14pm On May 10, 2022
Teazer4:
don’t get it twisted bro, according to the the liberals most conservatives are proPutin….. the screenshots you shared was befor the invasion, so well and check his other subsequent shows
Not all conservative. Most American conservative are against Putin. Check conservative leaders and senate. Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell have all spoken against Putin.

However the far right conservative who have always been known to be anti-muslim, Pro nazi, Anti immigration e.t.c are all in support of Putin e.g. Marjorie Taylor Greene, Alex Jones, Tulsi Gabbard e.t.c.
Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by Teazer4(m): 3:16pm On May 10, 2022
jimetagambo:

Not all conservative. Most American conservative are against Putin. Check conservative leaders and senate. Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell have all spoken against Putin.

However the far right conservative who have always been known to be anti-muslim, Pro nazi, Anti immigration e.t.c are all in support of Putin e.g. Marjorie Taylor Greene, Alex Jones, Tulsi Gabbard e.t.c.
I said MOST, bro try Dey read first b4 you reply. I no talk say ALL, difference dey. Good day
Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by jimetagambo: 3:19pm On May 10, 2022
USA democrats (liberal) and Republicans(conservative) rarely agree on anything but on Russia's invasion of Ukraine, they were united in condemning the invasion and branded Putin a war criminal.

Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by Teazer4(m): 3:27pm On May 10, 2022
It doesn’t change anything, even if the ICC charge him with war crimes, he’s still untouchable…. It’s irrelevant in the scheme of things as far as Russia is concerned

Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by sanpipita(m): 3:31pm On May 10, 2022
Teazer4:
their issues is kinda complicated, the man don’t wanna get caught up in someone’s else mess ni. He does have valid reasons tho, Hungary is landlocked.

Literally, no be say most countries in the west give a fvck about Ukraine like that, but most of em Dey save face ni.

He’s not proPutin in anyway, he just put his citizens first, for me that’s a good leader, not the ones wey go act first and think later.

Orban is pro Putin, you think other nations don't care about their citizens too? if Putin overruns Europe will his citizens also be safe, he continues to criticize EU and NATO while still being a member, maybe he can just resign membership so he won't need to be tied to their decisions, it should be simple, UK left EU

1 Like

Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by Teazer4(m): 3:38pm On May 10, 2022
Putin is not Kim(even Kim still Dey give west headache)

Putin isn’t Ayetollahs(Wey USA dey worship like a one gods like that )

Putin isn’t Assad( you go see how USA and nato quickly armed the insurrectionists , if not for Russia backings, he 4 don turn history like the others that go swept off by the Arab uprisings, Russia’s Putin single-handedly dealt with nato&usa ass, google is free if you wan confirm)

Arming Ukraine isn’t something Putin isn’t used to or bothered about, cos laslas Ukraine will look like Syria, Goan check before and after of Syria, you go know better.

Putin no send west papa, Putin doesn’t bluff. Putin nah talk and do. Putin doesn’t report to anyone. Putin can be ruthless, Nato and USA are aware that’s why they’re playing safe by doing hide&seek.

Lastly, y’all hungry kids on this section. Putin no send your papa. Putin isn’t the reason why you are living a miserable life. If politicians steal money dem no Dey carry am go Moscow.

You never curse Buhari finish or those past and present politicians wey don steal your past, present and future na Putin dey give una head…. Isn’t that madnesssss…. Madnessssss of the highest order

Putin will achieve his set goals in Ukraine and nothing wil change that, you can only scream on your used cheap phones

Most of una na ASUU victims una no organize protests , make government reason una matter, dem no kuku send una na 2023 Dey dia minds.

2 Likes

Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by Teazer4(m): 3:45pm On May 10, 2022
sanpipita:

Orban is pro Putin, you think other nations don't care about their citizens too? if Putin overruns Europe will his citizens also be safe, he continues to criticize EU and NATO while still being a member, maybe he can just resign membership so he won't need to be tied to their decisions, it should be simple, UK left EU
I disagree with you, Orban isn’t proPutin take your time and dissect his concerns, objectively.

Why do you think they’re still trying to persuade him, no other countries in Europe go experience the kind mess wey Hungary go experience if he stupidly agreed. He never said he doesn’t want to agree with em, he just said it’s practically impossible to just stop like others I mean in 6 months….

Common, whites no be sufferhead like we Africans, if hardship don too much dem go protest. Did you follow the recent local election in Uk recently, you see how the Tories, nah statements be that if dem no tidy up wella , dem fit lose to Labor in the general elections. If you read the news about the Queen’s speech earlier today, she made reference to the rise in the cost of living that the government should do something about it.

My point is that if a leader make a stvpid mistake and his ppl end of suffering dem go revolt. I stand with Orban. He has participated in a the sanctions so far, how is he proPutin

Abeg manage any error wey Dey dia… I’m working…nah multitask I Dey do
Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by Day169: 3:49pm On May 10, 2022
Teazer4:

Here's a 'Teazer', on a lighter note, I find your last paragraph a little hilarious..
.. (paraphrasing) He's not pro-Putin in anyway, he's just "Put-in" his citizens first.. cheesy
I pray there's a resolution to this European conflict as it affects the world either directly or indirectly.
Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by Teazer4(m): 3:59pm On May 10, 2022
Day169:

On a lighter note, I find your last paragraph a little hilarious..
.. (paraphrasing) He's not pro-Putin in anyway, he's just "Put-in" his citizens first.. cheesy
I pray there's a resolution to this European conflict as it affects the world either directly or indirectly.
that’s hilarious grin
No it won’t affect the world, nah Europe’s mess be that, dem go look for new supplier and Someone else go buy Russian oil, oil no Dey spoil…

Russian oil is the cheapest in the world market, India and China are so happy right now. the population of the whole Europe no reach that of China and India, shey you see na bigger market. Not right away tho, some infrastructures has to be in place, I read some reports the other day they’re already working on it.

At the end of the war, na only bad names in the west go be the stain on Russia’s identity, I believe they can live with that.. but you see Ukraine is still the biggest loser, see all those beautiful ancient buildings don fall like Jericho.
I was opportune to visit Kyiv about 3 years ago, in one of my European adventures, I still have pictures here on my laptop but obviously I can’t share here….it is beautiful country rich in culture, same as Warsaw too…

It is what it is… life’s goes on…

I’m not a troll, my main moniker Teaser4 got a month ban, you can click on it, it was registered in 2009.

Peace brother
Stay safe

1 Like

Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by olugabbie(m): 7:41pm On May 10, 2022
Teazer4:
that’s hilarious grin
No it won’t affect the world, nah Europe’s mess be that, dem go look for new supplier and Someone else go buy Russian oil, oil no Dey spoil…

Russian oil is the cheapest in the world market, India and China are so happy right now. the population of the whole Europe no reach that of China and India, shey you see na bigger market. Not right away tho, some infrastructures has to be in place, I read some reports the other day they’re already working on it.

At the end of the war, na only bad names in the west go be the stain on Russia’s identity, I believe they can live with that.. but you see Ukraine is still the biggest loser, see all those beautiful ancient buildings don fall like Jericho.
I was opportune to visit Kyiv about 3 years ago, in one of my European adventures, I still have pictures here on my laptop but obviously I can’t share here….it is beautiful country rich in culture, same as Warsaw too…

It is what it is… life’s goes on…

I’m not a troll, my main moniker Teaser4 got a month ban, you can click on it, it was registered in 2009.

Peace brother
Stay safe

Kindly add Pakistan to that list.
Re: It’s Time The EU Plays Hardball With Hungary by mojounited(m): 8:26pm On May 10, 2022
olugabbie:

Kindly add Pakistan to that list.
And Turkey, Indonesia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Greece, etc

(1) (Reply)

Russia-ukraine War: How The West Got It Wrong / 2023 Elections: 4 Things Nigeria Can Learn From The 2022 Kenyan Elections / Biden Told Allies Missile That Hit Poland Was Ukrainian Air Defence - Reuters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.