Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,164 members, 7,880,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:24 PM

I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness (1970 Views)

Breastfeeding My Husband Stopped His Illness: Woman Testifies In Church (pix/vid / God Is Getting Closer! Another Prophecy Fulfilled, As Evidenced By Atheists! / Why Did God Not Pierce Holes On Our Ears? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Dude397(m): 5:46pm On May 15, 2022
In 2017 before I was diagnosed with schizophrenia I used to be a holy ghost filled tongue speaking Christian. Was reading the Bible alot. Praying aloud till my neighbors started complaining that I don't let them sleep at night because I went totally off gear. I believed I was sent to the world by God and various nonsense till I was finally admitted to the psychiatrric hospital and received treatment .

3 Likes

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Dude397(m): 5:49pm On May 15, 2022
This was a topic I created on nairaland in 2018 during that period I had crisis

https://www.nairaland.com/4813824/jesus-what-mighty-name
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by wahles(m): 5:52pm On May 15, 2022
Why do I find this funny in a twisted way!!
grin

2 Likes

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by mummyson26(m): 5:54pm On May 15, 2022
I no won laugh abeg
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Kobojunkie: 5:57pm On May 15, 2022
Dude397:
In 2017 before I was diagnosed with schizophrenia I used to be a holy ghost filled tongue speaking Christian. Was reading the Bible alot. Praying aloud till my neighbors started complaining that I don't let them sleep at night because I went totally off gear. I believed I was sent to the world by God and various nonsense till I was finally admitted to the psychiatrric hospital and received treatment .
Interesting! undecided

So what were your delusions.... this holy ghost... what did he tell you or get you to do?, undecided
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by OkCornel(m): 5:59pm On May 15, 2022
Once you're no longer in control of yourself...everything goes apeshit

It's a rewarding journey, but everything goes south when self control is outta the equation.

Lack of that self control can make one "lose their mind"... Dude397, I can relate...
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Yigefengzi: 6:04pm On May 15, 2022
Dude397:

Yeah, you were definitely schizophrenic.

Am sure the speaking in tongues was not speaking in another language used in another foreign land but the babbling nonsense seen in most demon possessed "pastors" of today.

And why on earth would you pray so loud to be noticed by people to the point that you did not allow them sleep at night. That's not Christlike. Christ wants his followers to show love to their neighbours. Not allowing your neighbors sleep was very demonic of you.

So yeah, am glad you realised that you were not even a real Christian in the first place. You were just some mentally sick individual possibly possessed by demons.

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On May 15, 2022
Yigefengzi:
And why on earth would you pray so loud to be noticed by people to the point that you did not allow them sleep at night. That's not Christlike. Christ wants his followers to show love to their neighbours. Not allowing your neighbors sleep was very demonic of you.

So yeah, am glad you realised that you were not even a real Christian in the first place. You were just some mentally sick individual possibly possessed by demons.
In Matthew 6 vs 6 - 15, Jesus Christ did indeed teach His followers to pray in secret and in silence.... undecided

Now, I wouldn't go as far as to say He had a demon, although the speaking in gibberish does lead me to believing in such. undecided

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by duro4chang(m): 6:07pm On May 15, 2022
I knew a young man like that some years ago. He was just like that . We thought he was too religious and himself thought the same in Kaduna. The nurses also believed the same. Meanwhile he had to be injected before taking him to the hospital. After some days he was discharged. Later he became uncontrollable and finally...
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by emorse(m): 6:08pm On May 15, 2022
Dude397:
This was a topic I created on nairaland in 2018 during that period I had crisis

https://www.nairaland.com/4813824/jesus-what-mighty-name
Some people agreed completely with your idea. Might they be schizophrenic as well? Reach out to them and tell them to seek help too abeg.
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Kobojunkie: 6:09pm On May 15, 2022
duro4chang:
I knew a young man like that some years ago. He was just like that . We thought he was too religious and himself thought the same in Kaduna. The nurses also believed the same. Meanwhile he had to be injected before taking him to the hospital. After some days he was discharged. Later he became uncontrollable and finally...
So do you think that desire you have to want to know and understand God was born of your mental illness? undecided
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by duro4chang(m): 6:11pm On May 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So you think your desire to know and understand God was born of your mental illness? undecided
I no understand you
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Kobojunkie: 6:13pm On May 15, 2022
duro4chang:
I no understand you
My mistake! I thought you were the OP. lipsrsealed
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Yigefengzi: 6:18pm On May 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
In Matthew 6 vs 6 - 15, Jesus Christ did indeed teach His followers to pray in secret and in silence.... undecided

Now, I wouldn't go as far as to say He had a demon, although the speaking in gibberish does lead me to believing in such. undecided

You are right bro. I concluded too quickly the moment I saw speaking in tongues and praying aloud to the point of neighbors complaining.

Dude397 hope you're taking your drugs? Please always do okay.
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by duro4chang(m): 6:18pm On May 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
My mistake! I thought you were the OP. lipsrsealed
Not at all. I only narrated my observation.
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Dude397(m): 6:24pm On May 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Interesting! undecided

So what were your delusions.... this holy ghost... what did he tell you or get you to do?, undecided
I was irrational thinking the world was ending in few days and that I was special and God sent to speed up the rapture. The Bible had to be taking away from me. I was like this Righteousness2 guy on nairaland on steroids.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Kobojunkie: 6:27pm On May 15, 2022
Dude397:
I was irrational thinking the world was ending and that I was special. The Bible had to be taking away from me. I was like this Righteousness2 guy on nairaland on steroids.
ROFLMAO
grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

OK, that definitely is irrational ! grin

Glad to know you are finally getting treatment and enjoying a better quality of life. Yep, Mental illness can seriously f0ck a person up especially when one is not even aware of it's presence. undecided

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by suicidesheep: 6:30pm On May 15, 2022
Yigefengzi:

Am sure the speaking in tongues was not speaking in another language used in another foreign land but the babbling nonsense seen in most demon possessed "pastors" of today.

I like the fact that you know what it means to really speak I tongues, whenever I point this out to people, they feel I'm saying nonsense

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Owopariola1: 6:39pm On May 15, 2022
@OP, are you not the same person that started smoking weed back in 2012? Then later knew you had a mental illness while having a girlfriend? Sometimes, you even beg for money on NL. Are you sure you're now fully well, or this is just your moment of soberness?

Perhaps you need to be sent to one spiritual healer that will be giving you 50 lashes of koboko every day, till you're fully well. cheesy cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/6839233/girlfriend-doesnt-know-mental-issues

5 Likes

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Dude397(m): 6:41pm On May 15, 2022
OkCornel:
Once you're no longer in control of yourself...everything goes apeshit

It's a rewarding journey, but everything goes south when self control is outta the equation.

Lack of that self control can make one "lose their mind"... Dude397, I can relate...
I still believe in God but right now my sanity matters more. Everything should be done in moderation. I'm protecting my mental health and mindful of various triggers.

2 Likes

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Yigefengzi: 6:47pm On May 15, 2022
Owopariola1:
@OP, are you not the same person that started smoking weed back in 2012? Then later knew you had a mental illness while having a girlfriend? Sometimes, you even beg for money on NL. Are you sure you're now fully well, or this is just your moment of soberness?

Perhaps you need to be sent to one spiritual healer that will be giving you 50 lashes of koboko every day, till you're fully well. cheesy cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/6839233/girlfriend-doesnt-know-mental-issues

Wow!
Anyway, I hope the OP seeks help.
Something is definitely off with him. Am glad he said they took the Bible away from him. I can't Imagine the bad impression he was giving to unbelievers.
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Dude397(m): 6:47pm On May 15, 2022
Yigefengzi:

Bro right now I don't know if I'm an atheist but I've distanced myself from anything that has to do with religion.

2 Likes

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Dude397(m): 6:53pm On May 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
ROFLMAO
grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

OK, that definitely is irrational ! grin

Glad to know you are finally getting treatment and enjoying a better quality of life. Yep, Mental illness can seriously f0ck a person up especially when one is not even aware of it's presence. undecided
Definitely. With medication I'm living a normal life. Nobody knows...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Dude397(m): 7:02pm On May 15, 2022
emorse:

Some people agreed completely with your idea. Might they be schizophrenic as well? Reach out to them and tell them to seek help too abeg.
I guess so. A lot of Nigerians have mental health issues but they don't know. They think until someone becomes naked on the street before one is termed mad. How ignorant.

4 Likes

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by OkCornel(m): 7:02pm On May 15, 2022
Dude397:
I still believe in God but right now my sanity matters more. Everything should be done in moderation. I'm protecting my mental health and mindful of various triggers.

Exactly! The right balance must be attained...if not, the mind implodes.

Takes wisdom and self control. Please avoid religious zealots who are likely to mislead you as well.

Mental health is very key.

3 Likes

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Dude397(m): 7:22pm On May 15, 2022
OkCornel:

Exactly! The right balance must be attained...if not, the mind implodes.

Takes wisdom and self control. Please avoid religious zealots who are likely to mislead you as well.

Mental health is very key.
True words sir

3 Likes

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Nebes: 7:29pm On May 15, 2022
Spirituality is not for the weak and feeble-minded. Observe my choice of words - SPIRITUALITY.
Once you start approaching the realms that are beyond our 3 dimensional realm, you are in danger if your mind is not guarded. This applies to almost all religions. Ask our traditionalists if you doubt. If you keep digging deep spiritually, a time will come when you will see/hear/experience what the normal human will never experience.
My guess is that in your quest for God, you opened up a portal that was too much for your mind to carry. Your mind is just a gateway between the spiritual and this realm. You would have benefitted from a good spiritual guide.

2 Likes

Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Kobojunkie: 7:30pm On May 15, 2022
Nebes:
Spirituality is not for the weak and feeble-minded. Observe my choice of words - SPIRITUALITY.
Once you start approaching the realms that is
You mean Spiritual bullsheet aka religion? It is instead the feebleminded aka The gullible that tend to fall smack into that trap set by men. undecided
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Nebes: 7:36pm On May 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You mean Spiritual bullsheet aka religion? It is instead the feebleminded aka The gullible that tend to fall smack into that trap set by men. undecided

Go back and read my full post.
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Kobojunkie: 7:39pm On May 15, 2022
Nebes:
Go back and read my full post.
Changes nothing of what I clearly stated to you. undecided
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by LordReed(m): 7:45pm On May 15, 2022
Dude397:

Glad you received treatment. Many people especially around our part of the world will not get mental health treatment, either because of the stigma or religious prohibition.

Keep at whatever treatments you need, it gets better.
Re: I Thought I Was Getting Closer To God Not Knowing It Was Mental Illness by Dude397(m): 9:09pm On May 15, 2022
LordReed:

Glad you received treatment. Many people especially around our part of the world will not get mental health treatment, either because of the stigma or religious prohibition.

Keep at whatever treatments you need, it gets better.
Thank you. I sure will.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The People God(s) Forgot / The Bible Talks About The Coming Of Muhammad (saw) / Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.