Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,392 members, 7,932,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 02:24 AM

"Marching Ground", And How It Has Hampered The Growth And Development Of One Of - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Marching Ground", And How It Has Hampered The Growth And Development Of One Of (664 Views)

Why Dead Bodies Are Buried Six Feet Under The Ground / Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? / Ooni Performs Ifa Festival Where Kolanut Is Mysteriously Swallowed By Ground(piƧ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"Marching Ground", And How It Has Hampered The Growth And Development Of One Of by brimdans(m): 8:34am On May 16, 2022
Marching Ground

The first time I heard the phrase " marching ground', I didn't know what it meant, or neither did I give it a second thought, and I quickly erased it out of my mind. The same phrase occured again in an organization, where I formally work in Benue. And it ranged a bell.

When I first came to Benue to work for an organization, or rather a woman who owned a company I formally worked for, who was a consultant to the Benue state government on building an infectious desease laboratory. I served as her personal secretary. I was indeed very excited, because working with her means my days of joblessness and unemployment, since I rounded up my youth service.

The main contractor who were in charge of the construction of the laboratory building, were to drill a borehole in the compound. The drilling company arrived with the equipments to commence work, then suddenly a group of youths appeared, demanding for a fee, or what they termed "marching ground", before work will commence. It was astounded and at a lost, because this is the first time I'm experiencing such situation before. Where I come from, such things do not occur. I enquired from a colleague of mine, who was here before me, why do they need money for a borehole to be drilled, something that will benefit them? That was when I heard the word marching ground for the first time.

It is believed that for every project undertaken, a fee must be paid, which is called marching ground must be paid to the youths and sometimes the elders.

These youths were on site negotiating on the price to be paid to them, with the contractors, when from nowhere another sets of youths, known spakko boys,

Spakko, I was reliably informed, is a ring leader of some sort, who controls the thugs and youths within the vicinity. He occupies the highly exalted position of the special adviser to the governor of Benue state, on youths mobilisation.

When the real spakko boys came for there tax, the other group, whom are of lesser capacity than that of spakkos, had to step aside, because since they couldn't agree on price with the contractors, because of there high demand, which the contractors are not willing to pay.

Spakko boys were then paid the fee, which was lesser than the first group of youths or thugs, who ended up with nothing, so they had to grudgingly leave.

That episode passed and I felt it was just one random, which wasn't bound to happen again. It didn't occur to me, that it was a tradition and a norm, for everything project, construction, building or whatever of significant important, a fee must be paid to these thugs and sometimes the elders before any form of work will commence.

A very troubling scenario was that of a gentleman who wanted to acquire a land to begin a project. He being aware of the whole marching ground brouhaha, he then thought it wise to pay for marching ground before hand to avoid any form of confrontations or disruptions when embarking on his project. He paid the sum of about two hundred thousand naira to the elders, to settle the youths.

When he came for construction work, suddenly youth came from nowhere asking for marching ground. He informed them that marching ground has been paid to the elders, which was given to distribute to them.

They denied receiving any form of marching ground from there elders. No one knew what really happened with the money, whether it was actually given to them or not, it still remains a mystery. But one thing is certain, the gentleman had to pay again.

Another very troubling scenario that occured, was when a reputable agricultural company came to establish a rice mill factory here in Benue. With all intent and purpose, this company began construction, with so many disruptions and frustrations, they were able to complete the facility, but till today production has not commenced, because of issues of marching ground.

This company would have provided employment to the youths and development to the community and indeed the whole state.

This company had no choice than to relocate to a neighboring state closeby, and as at today, that company is thriving and growing in leaps and bounds, and it has employed a sizeable number of the youths of that community, and has aided rapid development in that state. That state is less endowed than Benue, but it thriving more than Benue, that state is Nasarawa state.
Re: "Marching Ground", And How It Has Hampered The Growth And Development Of One Of by Whois(m): 10:25am On May 20, 2022
Nigerians and get rich quick syndrome. The country isn't working. In summary I fear for the future of the country.

1 Like

Re: "Marching Ground", And How It Has Hampered The Growth And Development Of One Of by Magnoliaa(f): 2:17pm On May 21, 2022
That one is normal thing now. Owo awon omo onile down here in the West, lol. You pay thugs before you can start building things anything.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Micheeeeeee Honi. / West African Translation Help! / Some Food For Your Thoughts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.