Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,870 members, 7,889,912 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 01:08 AM

Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men (1276 Views)

Concern In Gombe Over Scarcity Of Husbands For Single Women / Men Who Marry Curvy Plus -size Women Are Happier!!! / 10 Times Nigerian Men Married Foreign Women. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 7:32pm On May 19, 2022
We may have suspected it already, but now the science backs it up: unmarried and childless women are the happiest subgroup in the population. And they are more likely to live longer than their married and child-rearing peers, according to a leading expert in happiness.

Speaking at the Hay festival on Saturday, Paul Dolan, a professor of behavioural science at the London School of Economics, said the latest evidence showed that the traditional markers used to measure success did not correlate with happiness – particularly marriage and raising children.

“We do have some good longitudinal data following the same people over time, but I am going to do a massive disservice to that science and just say: if you’re a man, you should probably get married; if you’re a woman, don’t bother.”

Men benefited from marriage because they “calmed down”, he said. “You take less risks, you earn more money at work, and you live a little longer. She, on the other hand, has to put up with that, and dies sooner than if she never married. The healthiest and happiest population subgroup are women who never married or had children,” he said.

Dolan’s latest book, Happy Ever After, cites evidence from the American Time Use Survey (ATUS), which compared levels of pleasure and misery in unmarried, married, divorced, separated and widowed individuals.

Other studies have measured some financial and health benefits in being married for both men and women on average, which Dolan said could be attributed to higher incomes and emotional support, allowing married people to take risks and seek medical help.

However, Dolan said men showed more health benefits from tying the knot, as they took fewer risks. Women’s health was mostly unaffected by marriage, with middle-aged married women even being at higher risk of physical and mental conditions than their single counterparts.

Despite the benefits of a single, childless lifestyle for women, Dolan said that the existing narrative that marriage and children were signs of success meant that the stigma could lead some single women to feel unhappy.

“You see a single woman of 40, who has never had children – ‘Bless, that’s a shame, isn’t it? Maybe one day you’ll meet the right guy and that’ll change.’ No, maybe she’ll meet the wrong guy and that’ll change. Maybe she’ll meet a guy who makes her less happy and healthy, and die sooner.”

• This article was amended on 30 May 2019 to remove remarks by Paul Dolan that contained a misunderstanding of an aspect of the American Time Use Survey data.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/may/25/women-happier-without-children-or-a-spouse-happiness-expert&ved=2ahUKEwiQ8qmNmOz3AhVXgv0HHXcdA9EQFnoECAkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1cKZaX69Gd_dn7B8aZLkzr

So why do men lie that marriage benefits women more than men

Men sha, always projecting their insecurities on women. They are the ones who are actually more miserable when single.

May science continue proving these patriarchal demons wrong.

That's how they scammed women into believing they are the more emotional gender.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by PrinxArthur1(m): 7:32pm On May 19, 2022
Where did u get ur stats ?

1 Like

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by blazingblender(m): 7:33pm On May 19, 2022
Just looked at the posters name and i withheld my comment

2 Likes

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Zonefree(m): 7:38pm On May 19, 2022
Since you demons are the happiest, why singing "Jesus, carry me dey go my husband house"?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Nobody: 7:41pm On May 19, 2022
Good for them. undecided

I have more important things to do. Bye.
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Komu1048(m): 7:42pm On May 19, 2022
Evening newspaper doing everything to stay relevant, but tomorrow morning new set of kpekus will reach 18 grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by 9182736455O1999(m): 7:47pm On May 19, 2022
No it should be; Single men are happier than single women and, Married women are happier than married men.

7 Likes

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by IamV: 8:02pm On May 19, 2022
The are the happiest,yet they are the most bitter,vengeful & vindictive set of persons out there ?
Happy indeed undecided.
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Kingpin1000: 8:06pm On May 19, 2022
I will agree with the headline, but when you clock 40 and you are still single as a woman, you will know when they make the phrase "life begins at 40 " they were referring to single men.

3 Likes

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 19, 2022
Except those ones when dey gather for Church dey sing carry me go my husband house, as if say na husband matter be the main reason when make Jesus die for us

7 Likes

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by everythinggirly(f): 8:16pm On May 19, 2022
How true?
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by GOFRONT(m): 8:18pm On May 19, 2022
Yet Marriage remains the greatest laurel of a woman........

1 Like

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by McGg: 8:20pm On May 19, 2022
siofra:

Men sha, always projecting their insecurities on women. They are the ones who are actually more miserable when single.

That's how they scammed women into believing they are the more emotional gender.

May you remain single and unmarried without children....

Raise your hands and say Amen!!!

2 Likes

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Pussyassasin(m): 8:22pm On May 19, 2022
Single men don't have to pay the bills of that other gender with entitlement mentality.

2 Likes

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Es350: 8:28pm On May 19, 2022
If they're so happy, they won't be signing "Carry me dey go". grin

1 Like

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 6:23am On May 20, 2022
McGg:

May you remain single and unmarried without children....

Raise your hands and say Amen!!!

I don't mind dying single.

I would like to be a rich wine aunt. No one knows where I live or what I do but they know I have a lot of money. I'll be somewhere in Europe living with my 42 cats.
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 6:25am On May 20, 2022
9182736455O1999:
No it should be;
Single men are happier than single women and,
Married women are happier than married men.

Prove it with science or remain silent angry
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 6:26am On May 20, 2022
blazingblender:
Just looked at the posters name and i withheld my comment

Eyahhhh!!!

It's like I'm a threat to the foolishness of these redpillers cheesy
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 6:27am On May 20, 2022
Zonefree:
Since you demons are the happiest, why singing "Jesus, carry me dey go my husband house"?

It's patriarchy that have brainwashed those women.

Patriarchy and ignorance made them think they are nothing without a man.
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 6:28am On May 20, 2022
Komu1048:
Evening newspaper doing everything to stay relevant, but tomorrow morning new set of kpekus will reach 18 grin grin

Let them reach na! undecided

I only pray more women will get enlightened.
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 6:29am On May 20, 2022
IamV:

The are the happiest,yet they are the most bitter,vengeful & vindictive set of persons out there ?
Happy indeed undecided.

Evidence and proof or Bleep off!
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 6:31am On May 20, 2022
Kingpin1000:
I will agree with the headline, but when you clock 40 and you are still single as a woman, you will know when they make the phrase "life begins at 40 " they were referring to single men.

Are you sure you read the article

"You see a single woman of 40, who has never had children – ‘Bless, that’s a shame, isn’t it? Maybe one day you’ll meet the right guy and that’ll change.’ No, maybe she’ll meet the wrong guy and that’ll change. Maybe she’ll meet a guy who makes her less happy and healthy, and die sooner.”
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 6:32am On May 20, 2022
everythinggirly:
How true?

Yes, dear. Very true. Science has proven it.
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 6:34am On May 20, 2022
GOFRONT:
Yet Marriage remains the greatest laurel of a woman........

Says who?

A patriarchal ass licker

Thanks, I'd rather believe science.
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Nobody: 7:18am On May 20, 2022
I've observed that the threads created by the OP has one aim and one aim only, which is to stir a gender war and the OP does this by creating threads that put men in a very bad light and create a sense that women are Superior to men undecided....

Well...
I'm not going to be a part of this gender war, but if we're gonna have a conversation, I believe it should be a well rounded conversation undecided...

The link the OP shared was recorded on the 25th of may, 2019 and that research which was not published and scrutinized under the peer revisional journal was quickly debunked on the 6th of November 2019

https://ifstudies.org/blog/does-marriage-really-make-us-healthier-and-happier

Now I'm not here to argue that married women are happier than single women or vice versa, however I believe in a well rounded argument undecided...

Both links shared by myself and the OP, though antagonistic, are based on research, this shows that while marriage may make some people happy, it could also be a nightmare for other people undecided...

Be wise folks....
If you think you should get married, please do, if you think you shouldn't, then don't! Either ways, take charge of your life and don't allow your life to be dictated by social constructs which in my opinion have caused more harm than good...

Have a nice day...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by InfinityFabric: 7:39am On May 20, 2022
Zonefree:
I got you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PMuvkXbi3g

1 Like

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by BigBellyBurst(m): 7:41am On May 20, 2022
This girl na one 18 year old wey dey work for one saloon for okokomaiko.

She dey vex for men because for some reason dem no dey ask am out.

As usual, she dey use feminism as excuse and this faceless forum to lash out her grievances over and about men.

Person go wake up for morning dey reason men matter. Nawa o.

Abeg tell us wetin u score for jamb jor.

4 Likes

Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by siofra(f): 1:18pm On May 20, 2022
Favfables1:
I've observed that the threads created by the OP has one aim and one aim only, which is to stir a gender war and the OP does this by creating threads that put men in a very bad light and create a sense that women are Superior to men undecided....

Well...
I'm not going to be a part of this gender war, but if we're gonna have a conversation, I believe it should be a well rounded conversation undecided...

The link the OP shared was recorded on the 25th of may, 2019 and that research which was not published and scrutinized under the peer revisional journal was quickly debunked on the 6th of November 2019

https://ifstudies.org/blog/does-marriage-really-make-us-healthier-and-happier

Now I'm not here to argue that married women are happier than single women or vice versa, however I believe in a well rounded argument undecided...

Both links shared by myself and the OP, though antagonistic, are based on research, this shows that while marriage may make some people happy, it could also be a nightmare for other people undecided...

Be wise folks....
If you think you should get married, please do, if you think you shouldn't, then don't! Either ways, take charge of your life and don't allow your life to be dictated by social constructs which in my opinion have caused more harm than good...

Have a nice day...

It doesn't prove anything. I went through the blog article and there was no single statistical data backing the hypothesis that married people are happier than single people.

They are guilty of what they are accusing the guardian article of. You say there's no statistical data, now, why don't you provide your own statistical data debunking the guardian article?? Or link one to the blog??

The only links I saw were to research articles devoid of statistics or experiments carried out on the issue.

Research could mean anything from gathering information from different gossip blogs to actually performing experiments. I believe the one which the writer of the article you screenshot has done the former.

The writer of that article has not managed to prove anything.
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Nobody: 3:36pm On May 20, 2022
siofra:

It doesn't prove anything. I went through the blog article and there was no single statistical data backing the hypothesis that married people are happier than single people.

They are guilty of what they are accusing the guardian article of. You say there's no statistical data, now, why don't you provide your own statistical data debunking the guardian article?? Or link one to the blog??

The only links I saw were to research articles devoid of statistics or experiments carried out on the issue.

Research could mean anything from gathering information from different gossip blogs to actually performing experiments. I believe the one which the writer of the article you screenshot has done the former.

The writer of that article has not managed to prove anything.

Please READ the link I posted again before coming on my mention undecided....
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Donswatter(m): 4:44pm On May 23, 2022
siofra:

It's patriarchy that have brainwashed those women.

Patriarchy and ignorance made them think they are nothing without a man.
Patriarchy this, Patriarchy that... Would love to have a conversation with you, but seems your mind is pretty made on your stance against men.
Re: Single Women Are Happier Than Single Men, Married Women And Married Men by Dpsychologist: 4:56pm On May 23, 2022
siofra:

If you are scientifically inclined you will know this is a confirmation bias.

I can post an article where it says married people are happier than single people.

Or an article that says old men are happier than young men or vice versa.

That that will all be a confirmation bias. Bias because I agreed with the article so I assumed that it is the absolute truth.

It is worthy of note that just because one agrees with a research doesn't make it universally true.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is What Women Want. / I Want A Submissive Wife Who'll Obey And Who I Can Control / What You Should Do If Your Girlfriend Is Pressuring You To Get Her An Iphone 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.