Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,762 members, 7,969,237 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 11:04 PM

A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU (967 Views)

A Different Take On The Little Mermaid / A Different Kind Of Real Life Mermaid / Cannabis Brings Many Benefits In A Different Form (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 5:27pm On May 22, 2022
A different but more effective way to use THANK YOU

Every person has the power to
make others happy

marenx The Writer

Many years ago I ask myself these questions: how can I become an influencer? How can I be a source of happiness to others?

I look at my life. I can't speak better. I mark that weakness. I checked myself again. I don't have much money. I mark that weakness.

Now I need a cheapest way to achieve my aim. I try the law of scarcity. My being scarced means reading and writing alone. Friends see me once or twice a week. Sometimes they don't even see me. But whenever I appear, I try to showcase my intelligence. I continue doing this well.

Soon many boys say they want to be like me. I get an intellectual nickname. So the law of scarcity works.

I continue amassing cheap ways to make people happy. This article exposes one of them: how to use thank you.

We say thank you after receiving help, after receiving greetings and after delivering a speech but that isn't the only use of thank you.

Good men and women speak to communicate, inspire and motivate.

And if you motivate talkers, you fascinate, please and inspire them.

To do it well, you can use THANK YOU.

If someone speaks well, you can say "It's interesting", "It's wonderful" and "Wow!"

But here say "Thank you."

There're two good reasons for doing that.

1. Saying "Thank you" isn't flattering.

If you say "It's interesting" or "It's wonderful", you don't mean to flatter but someone may think you mean. If you say "Thank you", you don't sound sophisticated but your target is honored.

Note: saying "It's interesting or "It's wonderful" isn't bad. But the point is you need to avoid being suspected of flattering. (I uncover how to use "This is wonderful" correctly on this platform.

2. A word isn't effective to anyone who doesn't understand what it means. Almost everyone in English-speaking country understands what "Thank you" means.

William Arthur Ward said:

"Every person has the power to
make others happy."

Thanks for reading this post. Have a nice time.

(X). USE MUST HE/SHE/THEY be DIFFICULT TO SUCH EXTENTS?

Your response improves or mars you. Using this connective, however, gives you assurance of rich improvement.

Guess why?

You render your talker a good opportunity to talk civilizedly.
Now let's see it in display...

Talker: when I came late today, I greeted my boss, but he refused to answer.
You: Must he be difficult to such extent?
Talker: He didn't even give me a privilege to apologise. I am certain he formed a bad opinion about me.

The talker may go on revealing more information following your use of the connective.

Learn more from the following examples too:

Talker: My man put off the TV as soon as I sat on the couch. I missed my favorite TV show again.

Talker: He bought my info product but he couldn't use it effectively. He took to social media telling his followers that my product doesn't deserve it price.

1 Like

Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by Roland17(m): 8:10pm On May 22, 2022
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by Ibime(m): 8:35pm On May 22, 2022
Roland17:
@Ibime, boss, abeg drop the number..

Thanks Boss

Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by Roland17(m): 8:40pm On May 22, 2022
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by Ibime(m): 9:00pm On May 22, 2022
Roland17:

Done. Abeg confirm baba..

I'll let you know when confirmed on the other end. Thanks

1 Like

Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by Ibime(m): 9:15pm On May 22, 2022
Roland17:

Done. Abeg confirm baba..

Confirmed boss

1 Like

Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 6:41am On May 23, 2022
(T). USE "I MUST CONFESS I FEEL I WANT TO BE LIKE YOU"

I can't hide that this can be controversial when used carelessly. However, when controversy arises, you can hide in the fact that you're joking. So be free! Success is yours.

Use the connective when a talker announces his success that surpasses yours. Example:

Talker: I'm now a chief medical doctor.
You: I must confess I feel I want to be like you.

In that aspect you may be a medical doctor but not a chief medical doctor or something else lower in rank than a chief medical doctor: otherwise you fool yourself.

The following story may help you understand the case.

When you enter a shopping mall, a former best friend of yours appears from a shop. He knows you're a graduate. However, when you say you bag Ph.D., he says he must confess he feel he wants to be like you while he's richer than you.

Bagging a Ph.D. can be a big success to many richest men, how will you feel since you don't really know what he actually means?

I must say you'll feel he kids you, won't you?

Yes, you will.

The same if you tell a talker.

But what if he isn't your friend but someone older than you?

You'll know he's joking for the sake of appreciation.

Understand the dos and don'ts of the connective and you can use it for the best effect.

Want to see how you can jazz it up?

Here are three examples:

Talker: I bought a house in the commercial nerve of the city.

Talker: I'm now an employer not an employee.

Talker: I'm an exporter of strawberry to 5 African states. I'm building a multi million dollars business in Africa.
You: I must confess Sir, I feel I want to be like you.

In all the three conversations above, you motivate a talker.

And the result?

A talker appreciates himself and becomes interested in you.

You want to be successful like a talker who bought a house in the commercial nerve of the city, like a talker who becomes an employer, and like a talker who's building a multimillion dollar business in Africa. All. Everyone wants you to want to be like him.

Poor men want you to say a rich man will go to hell. Rich men want you to say a poor man worth nothing. Yours is, therefore, to say what one wants you to say if you want to be his best.

Be his best first and become powerful before saying what you want.

Testimony: Mr. Fomson is the most educated fellow in town. When he says he bagged his Ph.D. in the United States of America, someone says, "Sir, I must confess I feel I want to be like you." A few days later Mr. Fomson meets the man and volunteer to to sponsor his education.

In the world of knowledge, there's one basic truth: everything you tell someone has a resulting effect.

Unlike Mr. Fomson, someone won't give you such booty. However, your relationship with him may last to help you in one way or the other.

If yours is to wait for a talker to say something for you to support him, believe me, you have a bright future.

(U). USE "HOW CAN HE/SHE/THEY EXPLAIN THIS?"

Talker: My colleague left his duty post for just an hour. Before his return, a mini Tiger generator had been stolen.
You: How can he explain this?

Though the connective can provoke a question such as "Explain what?", you can say he may be asked to pay for the generator set. Done.

Afraid another question may arise? No.

Whether it arises, you've, however, connected yourself with the talker. Not only that, you have influenced the talker and anyone there to reason. You may not know you've outstood yourself from the crowd.

Another good example:

Talker: He doesn't appreciate my help, and I knew he's planning something fishy. Then he stuffed me in a car trunk. I almost died from suffocation.
You: How can he explain that? I mean how can he escape that.

Notice that an interviewer usually looks smarter than an enterviewee. A listener usually looks smarter than a talker. But the smartest one among them all is he who supports or encourages a talker. For he makes peace and creates a civilized and democratic environment. Here's a proof.

Dan and Ray left five persons in the parlor and stopped in a tiny room.
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 6:23pm On May 23, 2022
(X). USE THIS IS UNQUESTIONABLE

It means the same as it's undoubted, it's indisputable, it's undeniable, it's undoubtable or no doubt. It simply means yes or right used after someone made a statement especially about himself or someone. It's a superlative of most of the connectives.

The result?

The talker bubbles to be with you. See it at work:

Talker: Mr. Mat is the one worthy to manage the company.
You: It's unquestionable.

But the connective may be difficult to understand if a talker isn't vast in English vocabularies. Use no doubt to clear all doubt.

Talker: My patience has finally rewarded me. I'm now a chief executive officer.
You: It's unquestionable. No doubt.

You can use both unquestionable and no doubt when you aren't certain if a talker understands as featured in the above example.

Talker: My wife delivered a baby today. I'm a father.
You: It's unquestionable. There's no doubt about it.

Whether you say no doubt or there's no doubt about it, you're saying the same. The thing is make sure you say it. It leaves a great impact in the talker.

Now having understood the usage and the meaning of the connective, let's practice with more examples.

Mr Dale (your boss): This medicine isn't good for pregnant women and the situation can be terrible if we don't inform our regular customers.
You: This is unquestionable Sir.

Notice you can say This is unquestionable.

Talker: I've spoken to our spokesman. He said there's no cause for alarm. Medical doctors and pharmacists will issue the medicine with another to eliminate the adverse effect.
You: This is unquestionable Sir.

Understand the connective further through the following story....

Our society was terrifying with kidnappers everywhere. Our parents warned us never to reach a remote area. Three of us, Mil, kunle an I weren't in a remote area though we were coming from it. Kunle saw his uncle and his uncle saw him.

We began to argue on what to say should his uncle ask to know where we came from.

--What if we say we went to a block industry? Kunle asked.

--To do what? Buy blocks? the wisest one among us asked back.
--What if we say we were sent to ask for the price of a block?
--This isn't convincing. This is questionable, he said.
--Ok, what if we say we went to school?
--To do what in school on Saturday?
--We should say we were sent to give a message to a school gate man.
--Your uncle can ask a school gate man to know if it's true.
--We will then tell him we didn't see the school gate man. And if he asks to know who sent us, we will mention the name of someone he can't reach.
--This is some how unquestionable, he said.

Notice the opposite of unquestionable: questionable. And you've noticed you can say This is some how unquestionable. This usage can go a long way to mean you should understand the talker first before using the connective.

What if you say it's unquestionable when even the talker knows it's questionable?

The answer is you fool yourself.

Speak for a good purpose. Speak to persuade, to educate, to entertain, to praise, to cure, to enlighten.
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 7:26am On May 24, 2022
Make yourself a source of joy to people. Be a good influencer. Change people lives today.
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 6:33pm On May 24, 2022
Show you're positive.
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 5:38am On May 25, 2022
Be smart.
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 11:45am On May 26, 2022
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 7:44pm On Jun 09, 2022
I use every inch of opportunity to make peace with others.
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 7:06am On Jun 10, 2022
(D). USE WOW.

Use wow to show a talker you're impressed by what he says or do or how he appears.

It's simple. Just becareful with how you say it.

Don't say it while smiling. Make sure you're calm.

Great talkers use it before expressing love. They say: "Wow! I love the way you speak." or "Wow! I need you." or "Wow! You look gorgeous."

You can use it without adding anything after.

Example:

Talker: Time has just flown. We're in 2030.
You: Wow!

Or....

Talker: Rain has wetted Lagos.
You: Wow!

You see? You don't have to say too much to be regarded as highly intelligent. What makes you intelligent isn't only saying it but also (more importantly) saying nothing after saying it.

You say okay and you say nothing after. You say "Wow!" and you say nothing after.

(E). USE THIS IS INTERESTING.

Using this phrase is the money you pay when a talker gives you fact.

A fact is a statement like this:

"Most United States presidents are originally Europeans."

"Most United States presidents are originally Europeans."

You can begin the trick by saying "Wow" then "This is interesting." But sorry, it makes it a cliché. What you need to avoid to originally sound intelligent is a cliché--a worn-out word or expression or a system of saying something.

If you don't know, if you use a cliché your listener thinks you're pompous. He won't listen to you.

That's why I'm careful when it comes to word choice in order not to sound pompous.

Here's a good example of how to use "This is interesting":

Talker: My friend speaks simple English but sometimes use big words.
You: This is interesting. I love speech talk.

(F). USE DO YOU UNDERSTAND? THEN SUMMARIZE.

Use the method to tell or teach a listener something.

Example:

You: My boyfriend called me to help him cook egusi soup. I didn't know how to start. Do you understand?
Listener: Yes.
You: I cooked what I didn't know how to cook.

Done correctly, this method doesn't only make you an authority: it makes you the most sought companion in this digital era too. Wherever you talk, people listening to you will like to continue listening to you.

I heard some people say, "You understand?"

No. Don't say that.

Remember you want to look intelligent. Intelligent talkers speak politely and correctly.

Saying "Do you understand?" sounds friendlier than saying "You understand?"

You hear it.

In addition to that, unless you ask your listener if he understands and then summarize it, it seems you fool him. He won't like to listen to you again.

(G). YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN.

But not much.

Guess why?

Nollywood has popularized the phrase to the point of making it a cliché. Don't be the one to complete their project of making it a cliché.

If you want to use it, start by observing this dialogue between you and a talker:

Talker: I've finally made it. I single-handedly transformed what was a hobby to a successful company.
You: You can say that again.

You see? If there's anything to say to show a talker you're together is the phrase "You can say that again."

Open your body, smile, calm yourself and say it. At that time you won't know what you do. I guarantee you you've established high intelligence of you.

If you've ever watched a Nollywood movie that features characters who use the phrase, how do you feel after the phrase is used?

Remember using body language, word, phrase or expression makes you an attentive listener as you wait for a talker to say what will warrant you to say something. You must depend on this technique to make only the sky your limit.

(R) USE "YOU HAVE TO PUT ON A PARACHUTE BEFORE JUMPING OUT OF A PLANE."

When it comes to conversion rate, I rate this connective 5 stars.

Know why?

It makes you sound diplomatic and scientific. Who won't like to be with you?

Not only does it give a talker food for thought: it also paints a picture of a civilized situation.

Everyone loves to be praised. And it's a common knowledge that everyone loves to hear a proverb or a wise saying especially when used at the right time and at the right place. This is it.

Example:

Talker: My friend's transport company crashes in a year of it's establishment. Why? Because he doesn't have insurance.
You: You have to put on a parachute before jumping out of a plane.

It means you need to prepare before embarking on any risky activity. If you put on a parachute before jumping out of a plane, while in the air, yours is to release the balloon. Otherwise you may struggle in vain.

Assuming the talker's friend has registered with insurance company, his transport company wouldn't have crashed.

Guess why?

The insurance company would take the burden of replacing the crashed buses.

You see? All these calculations because you use that connective.

Two more examples:

Talker: He didn't know anything about management. He never became an employee. Then he became a general manager....
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 12:57am On Jul 01, 2022
PASSAGE 1

Read the following passage

There was once a terrible famine in the land of the animals. Food and money were scarce. Hunger made all the creatures very weak.

The mother of Dinso, the tortoise, fell ill and was at the point of death. Dinso became very worried because he had no money for her funeral ceremonies. He thought and thought but did not know what to do.

At last, he discovered a trick. He assembled all the animals and said to them, ‘I am going to a distant land in search of food for all of us who are hungry, do not send for me unless something unusual happens.’ The animals agreed.

Three days later, Dinso’s mother died. Death is not unusual and Dinso could not be sent for. Discovering the trick, the elephant advised, ‘Let’s tell Dinso that the plam tree bears fruits at the end of its leaves. This is unusual and should make him return quickly.’

The other animals welcomed the idea, thanked the elephant for the good advice and sent for Dinso. On hearing of palm trees bearing fruits at the end of the leaves, he hastened back. When he arrived, the animals said to him, ‘Your mother is dead; now arrange for her funeral according to our custom. You can’t deceive all the people all the time.’

PASSAGE 2

Read the following passage:

The most memorable experience of my life was an incident that occurred some thirty years ago when I was in the fourth form in the secondary school. In those days, the speech-making and prize-giving days were always a great event. It was always a day when the results of the promotion examinations were announced to the students after week of suspense.

The afternoon commenced with all the students taking their seats in the large hall, and the members of staff, led by the principal, filing in. There were also three guests, each of them an important figure in the town. The principal and the dignitaries made speeches admonishing the students to work hard in order to attain their goals. Then the prize-giving commenced.

Soon, it was the turn of my class. For the overall best student, my name was called. This was not unexpected, the position having become almost identified with me. Amidst the clapping, I stood up and moved towards the principal whose outstretched hand held at fat book. I was already before him when he peered through his heave spectacles, surveyed my figure and held back the book. There was a sudden silence. Students were amazed at this turn of events. Then he explained “you will have your prize when you pay your outstanding fees”.

I stood there, almost petrified. Had I been warned of this disgrace I would simply not have stood up, let alone bothering to go forward. Suddenly, spontaneously, the students started clapping and hailing me. Thus, my return journey was more loudly cheered than the outward journey.

For the prize in English Studies and Mathematics, my name was also called. Of course, I sat still, but the students hailed on. Somehow their students’ behaviour saved the day for me.

Poorly clothed, in torn tennis shoes and being a debtor, I was the talk of the school. The little fee I had paid that year was earned through menial jobs at weekend, supplemented with donations from some school mates. Father’s financial difficulties had been aggravated by a protracted court case. He had no alternative but to ask me to withdraw from school and look for a job. This I had refused to do.

I had borne the cross gallantly until that day when the principal’s action threatened to kill whatever courage remained in me, I ordered the tears to gush out to flood my sad face, but the ovations forced the spring to remain dry. I had the loudest ovation that day, the students’ response to my plight was my own prize.
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 5:20pm On Jul 04, 2022
PASSAGE 3

Mike and Morris lived in the same village. While Morris owned the largest jewellery shop in the village, Mike was a poor farmer. Both had large families with many sons, daughters-in-law and grandchildren.

One fine day, Mike, tired of not being able to feed his family, decided to leave the village and move to the city where he was certain to earn enough to feed everyone. Along with his family, he left the village for the city. At night, they stopped under a large tree. There was a stream running nearby where they could freshen up themselves. He told his sons to clear the area below the tree, he told his wife to fetch water and he instructed his daughters-in-law to make up the fire and started cutting wood from the tree himself.

They didn’t know that in the branches of the tree, there was a thief hiding. He watched as Mike’s family worked together and also noticed that they had nothing to cook. Mike’s wife also thought the same and asked her husband ” Everything is ready but what shall we eat?”.

Mike raised his hands to heaven and said ” Don’t worry. He is watching all of this from above. He will help us.”

The thief got worried as he had seen that the family was large and worked well together. Taking advantage of the fact that they did not know he was hiding in the branches, he decided to make a quick escape. He climbed down safely when they were not looking and ran for his life. But, he left behind the bundle of stolen jewels and money which dropped into Mike’s lap. Mike opened it and jumped with joy when he saw the contents.

The family gathered all their belongings and returned to the village. There was great excitement when they told everyone how they got rich.

Morris thought that the tree was miraculous and this was a nice and quick way to earn some money. He ordered his family to pack some clothes and they set off as if on a journey. They also stopped under the same tree and Morris started commanding everyone as Mike had done. But no one in his family was willing to obey his orders. Being a rich family, they were used to having servants all around.

So, the one who went to the river to fetch water enjoyed a nice bath. The one who went to get wood for fire went off to sleep. Morris’s wife said ” Everything is ready but what shall we eat ?” Morris raised his hands and said, ” Don’t worry. He is watching all of this from above. He will help us.”

As soon as he finished saying, the thief jumped down from the tree with a knife in hand. Seeing him, everyone started running around to save their lives. The thief stole everything they had and Morris and his family had to return to the village empty handed, having lost all their valuables that they had taken with them.

PASSAGE 4

Just a few years ago when humans were generous, a cameleon and a lizard lived together in the city. They ate the same kind of food and shared similar culture and tradition. They felt the morning sun together while humans passed by unaggressively. Everything was normal.

Then one day, one boy noticed a Cameleon changing its colour. At first, he saw the cameleon became white, the colour of the fence, then suddenly becoming blue the colour of his trousers.

The boy ran into an apartment and called his mum to see wonders. On his mum's and dad's arrival, the cameleon had turned white the colour of the fence, then gradually turning green the colour of the rapper the boy's mum wore.

The news reached far that cameleons can change, and humans became surprised before they became nervous that one day a cameleon can become a big animal to rule the world. Having had the biggest conference in history, humans planned to exterminate cameleons.

Knowing this, a cameleon saw that humans are mean and jealous; they don't want to share their good qualities with any creature and don't want any animal to surpass them. He got worried as he had seen that there was no any good future for any cameleon in the city. So along with his wife and children, he packed all his belongings, walked out and left the city. A lizard remained because he didn't try to look like anything.

Lesson: Don't do anything that shows you're smarter than your superiors.
Re: A Different But More Effective Way To Use THANK YOU by marenx: 6:15pm On Dec 24, 2022
One day I opened a shop to put in practice what I learnt about giving value, then I discovered this power of value.

A step to my shop is hard to climb but it surprised me to see customers insisting to reach me.

Looking within, I realized I couldn't do without certain things: books, modern medicines, soap, etc. I couldn't do without foam mattress, electricity, modern means of transportation, audiovisual, etc.

This shows me why capitalists are the richest people in our democratic societies--because they offer what people are desperately in need of.

Recently, I was on Facebook when Robert Kiyosaki posted a poll suggesting having two types of conventional school system in the world: the one that teaches people how to be rich from the grassroots (capitalism) and the one that teaches people how to be employees from the grassroots (socialism).

I knew his suggestion can improve human society since even before he suggested it.

He, Napoleon Hill and Dale Carnegie are famous for saying you mustn't go to school if you want to be rich.

What they said is true although most senior government employees, who are favored by having "big" certificates, won't "simply" agree with them.

(1) (Reply)

www.babefishing.com: Nigerian Free Dating Site, To Find Nigerian Free Match / How Do I Protect My Script From Being Stolen? / "cocky Cocks Crow Veto" By Chidi Anthony Opara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.