Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,475 members, 7,891,975 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 11:51 PM

How Should Christians/body Of Christ Deal With Lapsed Christians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Should Christians/body Of Christ Deal With Lapsed Christians (755 Views)

Endtime Body Of Christ Church In Akure: What i spotted this evening(pics) / Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Should Christians/body Of Christ Deal With Lapsed Christians by Patsey: 2:54pm On Jul 15, 2011
I recently met a guy (on a flight) who used to be a Church Minister. He's been married for over 22 years without any offspring. His own family 'pressurized' him into dating another woman who, within a very short time, became pregnant. Overwhelmed with the guilt, he privately confessed both to the church authorities (who defrocked him) and to his wife (who dumped him straightaway). This guy, who is now in his early 50s and highly educated had spent the most useful part of his life exclusively in the church. Whilst his qualifications could open doors for him, his lack of secular experience  potentially would mitigate against his success in securing secular jobs. But that's not the issue on hand. My concern is this: HOW SHOULD CHRISTIANS/BODY OF CHRIST DEAL WITH LAPSED CHRISTIANS? Would Jesus have sacked this guy? Would Jesus not have forgiven Judas if he confessed and repented? This guy wasn't given a moment, following his confession, to repent. Would Jesus have treated him this way? If the church turns away those of their own who lapsed (or backslided), where do they expect such to find solace? Just some thoughts!!! To conclude, I've met a lot of guys who would never subscribe to any religions because whatever they do would have to be gauged by the precepts of the religion(s) they subscribe to. If this guy were to be a lawyer, medical doctor, etc., his life certainly wouldn't be placed on hold as this guy's life currently is. Any thoughtful (and not bashing) thoughts welcomed. Thanks, Pty!
Re: How Should Christians/body Of Christ Deal With Lapsed Christians by wetu: 6:58pm On Jul 16, 2011
I believe that once a minister of the gospel falls into such grave sin, he has disqualified himself:

1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

1Ti 3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Pro 6:32 But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.
Pro 6:33 A wound and dishonour shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away.

1Co 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

A Pastor who falls into adultery loses his reputation and his reproach shall not be wiped away. God can forgive him, the congregation can forgive him but his reputation will remain the pastor who committed adultery.

Such a pastor must not lead a church anymore. He might be able to do other duties such as counselling, maybe even preach once in a while but he should not lead a church.

Forgiveness restores us to fellowship with God and others, but doesn't necessarily wipe away the consequences of the sin.
Re: How Should Christians/body Of Christ Deal With Lapsed Christians by 2Praise: 7:29pm On Jul 16, 2011
I strongly believe there shall be more pastors in hell than heaven.Why why why do we go about condemning people. We don't even reflect nature of christ because we have become super,acting wiser than God himself.
We lack compassion and hammer the gospel like terrorists.It hurts me a lot to see and hear people that had zeal and fire for God get condemned just because they fell by the wayside.

Why dont we ever preach restoration? Who made us 'gods'.Who doesnt sin?

This is what the bible says'

Matthew 12:20 A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out, till he leads justice to victor

He will not let a crushed stem be quite broken, and he will not let a feebly burning light be put out: he will go on sending out the true word to the peoples.

A christian that falls is already hurting but instead of encouraging the brother/sis to come back to God we keep reminding them of their mistakes.Jesus would never do that but we do!

We pay for our sins yes but please can we embrace people more than condemn them?
Re: How Should Christians/body Of Christ Deal With Lapsed Christians by tpia5: 7:35pm On Jul 16, 2011
If he'd been caught commiting a capital crime, would you tell the judge this same argument?
Re: How Should Christians/body Of Christ Deal With Lapsed Christians by 2Praise: 7:46pm On Jul 16, 2011
^^ No no no.If you commit a crime you get jailed and God is very okay with that.

The bible is one very balanced book. Laws are there and you must abide with them.

If a pastor breaks the law,he repents God 4gives him but guess what ? he must serve term for his mistake if he broke the law.

That's wht the consequences are all about. Hes forgiven by God but he must pay for the sin he did.This is the world theres no escape.

We must learn to give ceaser what is ceaser's.you fail to pay taxes you face the music and God is very cool with that.

Am not condoning sin nope.I just want us to have a little compassion for the fallen and act as christ.

Am reminded of David's case.

A[b] word to believers[/b]

For christ's sake lets get rid of this 'full time ministry' mentality. It has turned people into lazy ministers of the Gospel waiting for tithe.

Full time means you serving God through your career as well.Preach in season and out of season.

The Doc,the Pathologist the Teacher the scientist will all be serving full time if they reflected christ in their work.

This brother missed that and his career went to waste.He is still alive so theres hope for him after all.

If you dont work you dont eat.That's bible!
Re: How Should Christians/body Of Christ Deal With Lapsed Christians by Joagbaje(m): 8:19pm On Jul 16, 2011
2Praise:

^^ No no no.If you commit a crime you get jailed and God is very okay with that.
The bible is one very balanced book. Laws are there and you must abide with them.

If a pastor breaks the law,he repents God 4gives him but guess what ? he must serve term for his mistake if he broke the law.

That's wht the consequences are all about. Hes forgiven by God but he must pay for the sin he did.This is the world theres no escape.

This is very true.

For christ's sake lets get rid of this 'full time ministry' mentality. It has turned people into lazy ministers of the Gospel waiting for tithe.

Most pastors these days still do their jobs and businesses. Except G.O s . Even many G.O s now do business as well. Besides except God tells a man to leave all there is no need for a man to abandon his profession. I know some ministers were strictly instructed by God to devote themselves fully and by that they had to resign from their jobs. But such is not for every person.

Full time means you serving God through your career as well.Preach in season and out of season.
The Doc,the Pathologist the Teacher the scientist will all be serving full time if they reflected christ in their work.
This brother missed that and his career went to waste.He is still alive so theres hope for him after all.
If you dont work you dont eat.That's bible!

The problem is not the full time issue but the fact that he got distracted . By fleshly value. Are we carry g children to heaven? He ought to have weighed the consequences . Especially for the fact that he knows the rules that governs the structure of his ministry. He is not ignorant. I wonder how he expected things to turn out.
Re: How Should Christians/body Of Christ Deal With Lapsed Christians by 2Praise: 8:45pm On Jul 16, 2011
Ok he messed up big tyme.Succumbing to family pressure wasnt good for him.

He must have weighed and stood by the word of God not that of the family.

Anyway its also written, To whom much is given much is required'

A lot is expected out of a minister of God because a wrong move by him could send many to hell when they decide to backslide.

Many are looking up to you remember.But,theres always a second chance for everybody.Its not the end of life he just needs to take his broken pieces

to God and God will mend things up for him. God is soo faithful he can reward him for the many years he put into serving God.
Re: How Should Christians/body Of Christ Deal With Lapsed Christians by wetu: 6:50pm On Jul 19, 2011
2Praise:

I strongly believe there shall be more pastors in hell than heaven.Why why why do we go about condemning people. We don't even reflect nature of christ because we have become super,acting wiser than God himself.
We lack compassion and hammer the gospel like terrorists.It hurts me a lot to see and hear people that had zeal and fire for God get condemned just because they fell by the wayside.

Why dont we ever preach restoration? Who made us 'gods'.Who doesnt sin?

This is what the bible says'

Matthew 12:20 A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out, till he leads justice to victor

He will not let a crushed stem be quite broken, and he will not let a feebly burning light be put out: he will go on sending out the true word to the peoples.

A christian that falls is already hurting but instead of encouraging the brother/sis to come back to God we keep reminding them of their mistakes.Jesus would never do that but we do!

We pay for our sins yes but please can we embrace people more than condemn them?

I think we can love a pastor, encourage him and so on without allowing him to preach or lead a congregation.

I think we can embrace a pastor without allowing him to preach or lead a congregation.

I think we can demote a pastor without condemning him.

Why do we want to do the above?
Because we want to follow the full counsel of God. As much as God wants us to love one another, he has put the requirements for church leadership and those who are not qualified should not be appointed to pastor a church. Equally those who are disqualified should be removed from pastoring a church.

There are false prophets out there and the only way we can know them is by their fruits. Not that every pastor who falls into adultery is a false prophet but we should know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump.

We are an army in a battle and the reward is eternal life. A pastor who falls into sin must take one for the team. He must make way for another man of God who is blameless. It's not our requirement that a bishop must be blameless, it's God's requirement.

(1) (Reply)

The Growing Madness Called "church" / Part 17 Beware Of The Manupulations Of The Lying Spirits During Courtship / Sunday Reflection/Homily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.