Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,940 members, 7,909,504 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 07:19 AM

What Is The Absolute Best Way To Learn The Igbo Langauge? Tips? Suggestions? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Absolute Best Way To Learn The Igbo Langauge? Tips? Suggestions? (1971 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Do You Think Pidgin Should Be Used As A Langauge Of Instruction In 9ja Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Absolute Best Way To Learn The Igbo Langauge? Tips? Suggestions? by NijaNinja: 3:14pm On Jul 17, 2011
Hello, this is my first post,

I am an IGBO Man born outside of Nigeria in the US,

My parents chose not to teach me the language due to the fact that the elementary school teachers told them I would excel in school in the American system if we stuck only with English. As an adult I regret my parents decision till this day not to teach I or my siblings the language. The language is a huge part of the Igbo culture and not being familiar with the language especially as an IGBO man is a huge embarrassment, especially when I travel back to Nigeria to visit family and etc.

I know the few basics such as the alphabet, numbers, and formal greetings but I am looking for more though, I want to be able to have an actual Conversation in IGBO. I know you have to crawl before you can walk but I am eager to get started,

Anyone have any Ideas where to start?

thanks.
Re: What Is The Absolute Best Way To Learn The Igbo Langauge? Tips? Suggestions? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:06pm On Jul 17, 2011
Immerse yourself in the midst of speakers and make active efforts to communicate with/amongst them in Igbo.
Re: What Is The Absolute Best Way To Learn The Igbo Langauge? Tips? Suggestions? by otapiapia: 5:28pm On Jul 17, 2011
I'll suggest you do an academic study of the language first(like get an Igbo-English dictionary, audio-visual renditions in Igbo, listen to many Igbo songs for right pronunciation, etc).

Thereafter, seize the opportunity of your visits to Nigeria to spend more time with Igbo-speaking friends and relatives. Let them know your desire to learn.

P.S

Igbo dialects can be very confusing for a new learner. If you can, stick to learning only one dialect for now, maybe your own dialect.
Re: What Is The Absolute Best Way To Learn The Igbo Langauge? Tips? Suggestions? by NijaNinja: 7:05pm On Jul 17, 2011
Thank you for the information, I will look into acquiring an Igbo dictionary.
Re: What Is The Absolute Best Way To Learn The Igbo Langauge? Tips? Suggestions? by odumchi: 8:30pm On Jul 17, 2011
The best way to learn is by surrounding yourself by Igbo speakers. Do not be deceived since most online "learn Igbo fast" software do not work. I suggest you travel to the East for a year and trust me you will most definitely learn Igbo then.
Re: What Is The Absolute Best Way To Learn The Igbo Langauge? Tips? Suggestions? by aljharem3: 9:19pm On Jul 17, 2011
The best way to learn Igbo is to go to Igbo speaking land itself. That why you can learn and recognise phrases and words.
Re: What Is The Absolute Best Way To Learn The Igbo Langauge? Tips? Suggestions? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:59pm On Jul 17, 2011
Ideally I recommend you learn your dialect, before trying to learn the standard/'central' one.

(1) (Reply)

Itan Opolo / Calling All London Igbos / Traditional Fulani Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.