Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,369 members, 7,978,172 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 09:06 PM

Am I In Trouble, Will I Be Arrested For This? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Am I In Trouble, Will I Be Arrested For This? (633 Views)

Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? / Man Who Returned N600,000 Mistakenly Sent To Him Now In Trouble / Eniola Adenuga To Be Arrested Over Child, Anthena & Mother, Damilola, Saga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I In Trouble, Will I Be Arrested For This? by frostyice: 9:49am On May 31, 2022
Will I be arrested by my bank for doing this? Please listen to my issue.

I tried to withdraw my money from a forex site that I was trading on and this may have gotten me into trouble. I recently sign up and funded my account on the site without realizing that I have to verify my address before I can do any withdrawal.

When I wanted to withdraw my money, I was told that I had to provide any of the following, utility bill, house address certificate, bank statement and one or two other ones that I can't remember now. I did not have any of these except utility bill and bank statement. I could not use my utility bill because it was clearly stated that my name has to be on it, I am a tenant. So I was left with a bank statement, which I can easily ask for from my bank, and so I did just that through my app.

I was sent the bank statement from my bank as a pdf file via email. I downloaded it and then uploaded it to the site and waited for it to be approved. After a while I noticed it was declined. So, I went through the bank statement and realized that my address was not included in the bank statement, just my name and account number. I thought about calling the bank and asking for my address to be included but I checked some images on google of other bank statements and just felt that was the way all banks issued their bank statement and that I will stand very little chance of getting it changed just because of me and my small issue. I was thinking of what to do now to retrieve my money when I remembered that the bank statement was in a pdf file and so I thought, why not just add your address yourself and save yourself and the bank the stress, so I did. Did not think of it as committing any offence, just providing information that has been unintentionally excluded.

After adding my address to the bank statement, I uploaded it and it was approved. So, I was able to withdraw my money. A few days later, I tried to make a transaction on my bank app only for my bank to tell me that I can't make any transactions. I called my bank customer care and I was told that my account has been blocked and he can't tell me why, that I have to visit the bank. I was wondered for a few minutes why my bank would block me when mind went bank to the bank statement and the address I added.

Now I am scared that I have messed up really bad. I am scared to go to the bank so I don't get arrested for a matter that I thought at the time was just a small issue and there was nothing to it. I did not add a false information to the bank statement, just my address which is the same address on my account in the bank. I only wanted to withdraw my money not defraud anybody.

Please I need some advise from anybody with knowledge about matters such as these on what to do. Am I in real trouble or it is just me overburdening myself.

The amount on my forex account was just under $72 and the amount in my now blocked bank account is just under a 70k. Many things are running through my mind right now. I have never found myself in a situation like this before.
Re: Am I In Trouble, Will I Be Arrested For This? by Nelson156(m): 9:56am On May 31, 2022
Big setup
You need to be careful anyway
Try Dey withdraw from your forex account to btc next time
Re: Am I In Trouble, Will I Be Arrested For This? by Humulity: 10:02am On May 31, 2022
You tampered with Bank document.
That might have made your account flagged and the transaction suspicious.
Though there is consequence for every action.
Visit the bank with recent utility bill of your present address and valid I'd. Give factual response to every enquiry, do not play smart.

Next time if you do not get what you want online, visit your bank and make direct request.

Tampering with official document is criminal offence.

1 Like

Re: Am I In Trouble, Will I Be Arrested For This? by Sapeleboy911(m): 11:25am On May 31, 2022
Tempering with an official document is a crime, that is a clear case of document forgery. When next you want to verify your accounts with a bank account statement, don't request an online pdf copy. Those pdf copies don't have your address and other vital info for verification. You can only get that vital info from the hard copy of your account statement.

Nevertheless, I don't think your bank account was blocked because you tampered with your account statement, both firms (ur bank & ur forex broker) are independent. I think it has more to do with foreign exchange transfer issues. Your best bet is to go to the bank with a close friend to make inquiries about why your account was flagged.
Re: Am I In Trouble, Will I Be Arrested For This? by VlamesIffect(f): 11:32am On May 31, 2022
First of all is it a Nigerian based broker? If it's not. Then there's nothing to worry about.

Secondly you are not the first person to have this issues....you could have made your own utility bill & save yourself all this stress.

We've been thru this phase before...ever trader goes thru this phase....go to your bank and talk to the customer care be a man....if them begin talk too much find 5k settle one of them... they'll sort you out na naija you dey no fear.
Re: Am I In Trouble, Will I Be Arrested For This? by Amerengues2: 11:37am On May 31, 2022
Hmmm

I do not think the blocking of your account has anything to do with the edited document. There is more to what happened.

I will advise you check the status of your other bank accounts to know if it was just that one that was affected. If it is just that one, visit the same bank and enquire more on the blocking. Perhaps, there might have traced crypto to your account. The coincidence of when you tampered with the document and the blockage might make you think what you are thinking.

If other accounts are blocked, then it's not a mild issue any longer. I will advise you to sit and think through on the transactions in that account for the past few days. If other accounts are affected, then you need to go with a lawyer to avoid being arrested without any hope of being free.

However, you can visit the bank if only one account of yours was affected. You can go with a friend too. But sometimes, we think too much. So relax, in as much as you didn't do anything wrong or fraudulent that could make someone report you.

Kindly brief us later when it's resolved so we can all learn
Re: Am I In Trouble, Will I Be Arrested For This? by Authorsy: 12:11pm On May 31, 2022
Please consult a good lawyer and explain the situation to them just as you have done here.

Don't go to the bank alone. Let your lawyers speak to them on your behalf and then sort out whatever issues.

If you go to the bank alone, you just might be picked up by the police and rot in jail (you already know how our legal system works here).

And if you decide to ignore the problem and just forget about the bank account, there might be warrants out for your arrest and one day when you're travelling out of the country or trying to do some other business, you'll get picked up by the police.

Also, don't forget we run a BVN system now. I am not sure but i believe once you have a problem with one bank, it will show up on your profile and affect your relationship with other banks.

So, don't ignore the problem but at the same time, don't approach it with naivety or timidity.

Good luck to you.
Re: Am I In Trouble, Will I Be Arrested For This? by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 31, 2022
Go to the bank and update your kyc information. As far as you no commit fruad, at worst you will choose to close your account with the bank.

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Storms NOVA Bank Arrest Chairman, MD Over Fraud / How To Make Money Online As A Student. / You Have Instagram, Yet You Are Poor, Are You Okay ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.