Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,862 members, 7,933,238 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 09:58 PM

Engine Rings - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Rings (1291 Views)

What Is The Best Brand Of Rings For Our 4G63 Engine? / Genuine Or Fake Piston Rings? / BMW Runs Rings Around Audi On Twitter. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Rings by Bobbiet(m): 6:59pm On Jun 04, 2022
Good evening engine professionals.

I got a car on hire purchase, Nigerian used.
I use it for E-hailing. Corolla 03

I've used the car and currently the car has issues. It started with shorting oil which I started servicing every 3weeks. Right now, car engine is weak and it smokes like crazy.

The mechanic checked and said the engine has been ring(Ed)(sed) before so he said I have to re-bore.

Please profs, I intend using this car a while after balancing and I need the surest solution possible.

I want a Belgium engine but mechanic said re-bore puts engine at same grade with Belgium.

I'm a novice and I am confused.

Please I need suggestion and advice.

Re-bore said 150k... Belgium engine is 380k to 400k
Advice please.
Re: Engine Rings by Conner44: 7:12pm On Jun 04, 2022
What type of vehicle is this that you’re battling with?
Re: Engine Rings by Dozieson(m): 7:14pm On Jun 04, 2022
Bobbiet:

I use it for E-hailing.

I've used the car and currently the car has issues. It started with shorting oil which I started servicing every 3weeks. Right now, car engine is weak and it smokes like crazy.

The mechanic checked and said the engine has been ring(Ed)(sed) before so he said I have to re-bore.

Please profs, I intend using this car a while after balancing and I need the surest solution possible.

I want a Belgium engine but mechanic said re-bore puts engine at same grade with Belgium.

Advice please.

Guy no rebore anything. Buy toks engine. What is the car brand?
Re: Engine Rings by Bobbiet(m): 7:19pm On Jun 04, 2022
[i][/i]
Dozieson:

Guy no rebore anything. Buy toks engine. What is the car brand?
Corolla 03
Re: Engine Rings by Dozieson(m): 7:53pm On Jun 04, 2022
Bobbiet:
[i][/i]
Corolla 03

Toks engine in Lagos is about 350k
Re: Engine Rings by Bobbiet(m): 7:59pm On Jun 04, 2022
Dozieson:

Toks engine in Lagos is about 350k
I am in benin
Re: Engine Rings by okoroemeka(m): 8:36pm On Jun 04, 2022
Bobbiet:
I am in benin
rebore the goddamn thing, before tokunbo engines,a bad engine is simply rebuilt,you are saving #200k,do you ask yourself that old engine what happens to it,they buy it rebore and refurbish it,wash it with acidic solution and spray Korea or Japanese soil on it,it is tokunbo,I marvelled the day I saw were they are sell foreign soil in mgbuka onitsha ,soil from Singapore,Korea,Hong Kong,Japan,etc,rebore the damn engine,grind your top cylinder and change oil seals,use original metal and main bearings with rings

7 Likes

Re: Engine Rings by fineboynl(m): 10:36pm On Jun 04, 2022
grin. I don't know what to say. But the mechanic knows that he would make more cash with rebuilt than a toks engine.

The best is direct toks engine with milage not more that 130k. But how sure and where to get the original one that should be the question.

Igbo people are dubious and can do anything to make money and that why they buy the old engine either from you or from the mechanic.

1 Like

Re: Engine Rings by nymphomaniac(m): 10:44pm On Jun 04, 2022
fineboynl:
grin. I don't know what to say. But the mechanic knows that he would make more cash with rebuilt that toks engine.

The best is direct toks engine with milage not more that 130k. But how sure and where to get the original one that should the question.

Igbo people are dubious and can do anything to make money and that why they buy the old engine either from your or from the mechanic.
this sounds like a catch - 22. What are you now suggesting he does?
Re: Engine Rings by fineboynl(m): 10:47pm On Jun 04, 2022
Cc: nymphomaniac

Remanufactured engines are engines that have been remanufactured to the blueprints that were used for making the engine, including the exact specifications and necessary details; and which have been tested to the standards of original equipment. This is where it must be noted that remanufactured engines are not the same as rebuilt engines.

Whereas remanufactured engines have been designed very closely to the original make of the engine and have undergone thorough inspections and screening, rebuilt engines, on the other hand, are engines which have only been reconditioned by only putting new parts or components in place of broken or worn out parts.

These parts are not usually of high quality, and they usually differ from one rebuilder to the other. You must stay away from rebuilt engines.

Remanufactured engines are engines which are made up of various parts of reassembled or rejuvenated older engines and they are designed to work as effectively as the new ones at much-reduced prices.

The reason why the prices for remanufactured engines are much reduced compared to the prices of new engines is that the parts of remanufactured engines are a combination of both new ones and recycled ones.

What happens is that old engines which obviously may be faced with some serious issues are disassembled, and then any parts of them with very obvious damages are scrapped while the parts remaining (such as the block, heads, camshafts, crankshafts, water pump, pistons, rods, etc.) are inspected thoroughly.

The inspection of remanufactured engines is usually very thorough. Both the engine blocks and the cylinder heads are fully x-rayed, while the measurement is done on the pistons by means of micrometers so as to capture any issue that may not be visible to the naked eyes.

It is all the various parts or components that have succeeded in passing the inspection exercise that is collected together alongside bearings, piston rings, etc to make another engine (a relatively new one).

As soon as the remanufacturing process has been completed, the remanufactured engine is subjected to another test so as to confirm it to be made of the highest quality.

For most consumers, they have realized that the benefits of getting a remanufactured engine for their vehicle far surpass the disadvantages. So, let us take a look at the benefits and the disadvantages of choosing a remanufactured engine:

COST
The cost that you will have to incur as a result of a broken down vehicle engine could actually be on the high side irrespective of whether you decide to go for a remanufactured engine or a used one.

When it comes down to the one that is more cost-effective, remanufactured engine takes the crown. If for instance, an engine fails, it does not necessarily mean that the other components have failed too. In this case, the other parts are cleaned up, assembled, and used to remanufacture a new engine which becomes the remanufactured engine.

Basically, when you decide to buy a remanufactured engine, what you are paying for is exactly only a few new parts which have thoroughly been inspected. This is what makes them more expensive than new engines and less expensive than used ones as well.

RELIABILITY
As regards reliability, remanufactured engines are the best. While used engines may have been repaired more than once, remanufactured engines, on the other hand, have all the crucial components either fully repaired or totally replaced so as to surpass the standard it was originally, thereby becoming reliable in the long term.

Also, remanufactured engines come with a warranty because of the fact that they make use of used components.

Having a warranty does not indicate that something will go wrong in the function of the engine; it only means that you are provided with extra assurance that the product you are getting is of a very high quality since it has been inspected by experts.

For used engines on the other hand, you have no guarantee that the engine you intend to buy will last for a long time. What this means is that, should there be a case of lack of maintenance by the previous user, or any damage which may have gone unnoticed during inspection, the new user will have to actually spend more in the long term.

PERFORMANCE
In terms of performance, remanufactured engines offer top performance than used engines do. To the average consumer, the difference between a new engine and a remanufactured engine may not appear apparent. In fact, both new engines and remanufactured engines run smoothly with top quality feel.

On the contrary, if you will be using the engine for racing, it is advised to not go with either a new engine or a remanufactured engine. A new engine off the lot will just be efficient for you since racing will put lots of undue stress on the engine and would consequently result in failure during racing actions.
Re: Engine Rings by adanny01(m): 9:12am On Jun 05, 2022
Bobbiet:

I use it for E-hailing. Corolla 03

Advice please.

Toks will give you peace of mind. That reboring process is a big risk. If the reboring were cheaper say 80k, I would encourage you to take the risk but at nearly half the price of toks, its a big gamble. There are no guarantees or assurances when you rebore.

It is also possible that the rings used where bad quality (they wear out rapidly) and the cylinder bores are not worn. Find a borescope to look at the bores and be certain.

However, buying toks is also a gamble because of the source. You need to be very vigilant. Toks engine guarantee is also shyt.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

A Tinubu Supporters Lied On Twitter Against Innoson Cars, Tweeps React / What Car Would You Buy For Your Wife? / Is Custom Duty Certificate Important

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.