Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,109 members, 7,939,477 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 06:38 AM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2279) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1825998 Views)

EPL: Huddlesfield Town Vs Manchester City (full time) 1-2 / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2276) (2277) (2278) (2279) (2280) (2281) (2282) ... (5222) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 8:16pm On Apr 07, 2023
OasisX:

grin

Ẹ̀gbọ́n ń lá ti já de tán.
I just shared the FB post. "Genius" would be exact word for me.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by airmark(m): 8:18pm On Apr 07, 2023
Ibukzy:
See Crv wife papa handwork for Kogi state

Na wa o.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DeadPresidents: 8:18pm On Apr 07, 2023
User09:

Interestingly, this was the post that started the comparison.

Didnt see the need for it. And now the whole thread has gone into an unending debate about who's better with some intentions more obvious than others

I prefer the Achebe vs Soyinka debate tbh.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 8:21pm On Apr 07, 2023
Emaprince:
I am affected by this too.

Let's be honest, it's a lower form of skill. Just because Oyinbo give awards to it, doesn't mean we will rate it over what we know is possible
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 8:23pm On Apr 07, 2023
DeadPresidents:

Early ibime rapped like a Big L clone then his style evolved to a lot of Canibus/Jay Electronica.

Canibus was actually my first influence, discovered Big L later. Can go either way depending on mood
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 8:28pm On Apr 07, 2023
larride:

Yes. It is.

So what is the solution given the total condemnation for RUGA by almost every state
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 8:30pm On Apr 07, 2023
grin

Once husband and wife don dey sleep like this...... what next?

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 8:32pm On Apr 07, 2023
ShaqFu:
Now this reminds me of you way back in 2014/15. 😁😁😁

I'd admit it's true to some extent.
I still do verbosity, especially when the back-and-forths get heated.

But if you offer copywriting as a service, you'd realise the conversational, laid-back tone works best, and it holds the readers' attention more. Verbosity works best mostly when you're doing technical writing.
----

Like Soyinka, another popular Nigerian social commentator and/or critic who favours verbosity over flow is Farooq Kperogi. The (secret) intent of such verbosity is to bully, most times. That's the tone Farooq prefers in all of his social examinations.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 8:34pm On Apr 07, 2023
grin

LOL

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 8:36pm On Apr 07, 2023
cool

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by airmark(m): 8:38pm On Apr 07, 2023
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amoto94(m): 8:38pm On Apr 07, 2023
OasisX:
grin

LOL
Go and observe Qiyamul layl and leave ahl siyasah alone
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 8:40pm On Apr 07, 2023
GrammarNazi1:

Achebe and his lovers may create an award for him, but since a long time the Nobel Prize has been the greatest literary award no matter your opinion!

Even the fine details you talk about, you do not know the fine details as much as the judges of the Nobel Prize academy.

So, calm down and make extensive research about the criteria used to choose Nobel Prize winners in Literature.

You're still hovering around the issue and refusing to perch on it.

The post you quoted was of me inserting a link to the Nobel Prize website stating it doesn't reveal the criteria for awarding the Literature prize. It's on the website!

It went on to state a small committee of the Swedish Academy decides who gets shortlisted and wins, and their decision isn't subject to change.

That clause or caveat, if you like, corroborates my stance that the many of the categories are awarded subjectively since there are no benchmarks.

If Soyinka had been awarded for his activism against military rule and oppression, that'd be defined. But for literature, no criteria is defined or even stated to begin with.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 8:42pm On Apr 07, 2023
airmark:

I saw a video of Datti on Channels TV crying because of attacks on his family on social media. Tinubu is supposed to have been drowned in his own tears by now.

Well Tinubu is made of sterner stuff na. Can you imagine Tinubu wailing like this anytime apc lost an election?

That is for the mentally weak. Let them continue writing letters upandan.

I seem to recall ms adichie also writing letters over a land issue in her home town

She can also consider writing to the Netherlands about a certain Simon ekpa that is allegedly sponsored by APC tongue

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Emaprince: 8:46pm On Apr 07, 2023
Ibime:

Let's be honest, it's a lower form of skill. Just because Oyinbo give awards to it, doesn't mean we will rate it over what we know is possible
Sometimes I'm trying to understand what the fuss is about poetry, honestly.

I dont read much of it or take them seriously. It puts me to sleep.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Emaprince: 8:48pm On Apr 07, 2023
airmark:

I saw a video of Datti on Channels TV crying because of attacks on his family on social media. Tinubu is supposed to have been drowned in his own tears by now.
But same Tinubu said he avoids social media cos they abuse the hell out of him.

Why is he running from social media with his heart of stone?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 8:49pm On Apr 07, 2023
raumdeuter:

So what is the solution given the total condemnation for RUGA by almost every state

Na political condemnation.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 8:50pm On Apr 07, 2023
Apart from the nobel prize, Soyinka has many other awards he won for his great literary works. You must be silly to think you know more about the field than the many experts and literary giants that gave him the awards.

You don't win a nobel prize, the most prestigious award in literature, unless you're the best of the best. It's not won by fluke or sheer luck.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 8:50pm On Apr 07, 2023
airmark:
OasisX, Larride, una dodge a bullet in Lagos.

https://twitter.com/AmodaOgunlere/status/1644308927205580800?t=B0i8CU_o4Boao1rtMVMqGQ&s=19

Of course.

We will remind both husband and wife about “their language” whenever they want to contest for any post again.

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GrammarNazi1(m): 8:54pm On Apr 07, 2023
DissTroy:

You're still hovering around the issue and refusing to perch on it.

The post you quoted was of me inserting a link to the Nobel Prize website stating it doesn't reveal the criteria for awarding the Literature prize. It's on the website!

It went on to state a small committee of the Swedish Academy decides who gets shortlisted and wins, and their decision isn't subject to change.

That clause or caveat, if you like, corroborates my stance that the many of the categories are awarded subjectively since there are no benchmarks.

If Soyinka had been awarded for his activism against military rule and oppression, that'd be defined. But for literature, no criteria is defined or even stated to begin with.
The criteria used to choose Nobel Prize winners are there.

Check the website well.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 8:56pm On Apr 07, 2023
DeadPresidents:

I prefer the Achebe vs Soyinka debate tbh.
Chinua Achebe is arguably the most influential writer in Nigeria's history, practically everyone grew up reading and still read Achebe. His stories were not just interesting, they were incredibly funny and descriptive to the point where you felt like you were right in the story, one of those writers that if you picked their work, just know you'd not drop it until you've read it to the very last word. I probably read A Man of the People like 30 times, the funniest book I ever read and my favourite of all his stories.

Wole Soyinka's style is very technical and I'm sure that's why his appeal was never close to Achebe's despite being a fantastic writer. If he never won the Nobel Prize, I believe nobody go really send e book for Naija like that. I sought his books out mainly cause I knew he won the Nobel Prize in Literature for his writings, so naturally assumed they held value...I found them painfully boring though. Abiku was beautiful, read it in SS1 Literature where they compared his version of Abiku to J. P. Clarks'....I preferred Wole Soyinka's Abiku.

Both stars in their own right, but I think without the Nobel Prize, Wole Soyinka's works in literature would have long slipped into obscurity, quietly too. Chinua Achebe didn't need a Nobel Prize or any other award for that matter to forever have his place in our hearts and heads.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by airmark(m): 8:58pm On Apr 07, 2023
Emaprince:
But same Tinubu said he avoids social media cos they abuse the hell out of him.

Why is he running from social media with his heart of stone?

When Tinubu was called Ojuyobo (mocking his popping eyes) as a governor, instead of flaring up he asked them to put his eyes back to the sockets if that's their problem.

Tinubu crying on TV because of trolls? Will be shocked if it happens.

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Emaprince: 8:59pm On Apr 07, 2023
larride:
Because they want to make huge profit, we should allow them to continue to do open grazing, trespassing on peoples land, destroying their farm and means of livelihood and even going as far as killing these farmers.

Shey na simulation Dey happen this night? 😡
But where is the cow?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by airmark(m): 9:00pm On Apr 07, 2023
Theflint1:
Chinua Achebe is arguably the most influential writer in Nigeria's history, practically everyone grew up reading and still read Achebe. His stories were not just interesting, they were incredibly funny and descriptive to the point where you felt like you were right in the story, one of those writers that if you picked their work, just know you'd not drop it until you've read it to the very last word. I probably read A Man of the People like 30 times, the funniest book I ever read and my favourite of all his stories.

Wole Soyinka's style is very technical and I'm sure that's why his appeal was never close to Achebe's despite being a fantastic writer. If he never won the Nobel Prize, I believe nobody go really send e book for Naija like that. I sought his books out mainly cause I knew he won the Nobel Prize in Literature for his writings, so naturally assumed they held value...I found them painfully boring though. Abiku was beautiful, read it in SS1 Literature where they compared his version of Abiku to J. P. Clarks'....I preferred Wole Soyinka's Abiku.

Both stars in their own right, although I think without the Nobel Prize, Wole Soyinka's works in literature would long have quietly slipped into obscurity. Chinua Achebe didn't need a Nobel Prize or any other award for that matter to forever have his place in our hearts and heads.

Just say his lines most times, fly over your head. Then, we will understand.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 9:01pm On Apr 07, 2023
Theflint1:

Wole Soyinka's style is very technical and I'm sure that's why his appeal was never close to Achebe's despite being a fantastic writer. I'm sure if he never won the Nobel Prize, nobody go really send e book for Naija like that. I sought his books out mainly cause I knew he won the Nobel Prize in Literature for his writings, so naturally assumed they held value...I found them painfully boring though. Abiku was beautiful, read it in SS1 Literature where they compared his version of Abiku to J. P. Clarks'.

Both stars in their own right, although I think without the Nobel Prize, Wole Soyinka's works in literature would long have quietly slipped into obscurity. Chinua Achebe didn't need a Nobel Prize or any other award for that matter to forever have his place in our hearts and heads.

Part of that na big lie. people like them Soyinka are rare in this world. Make una d celebrate Nigerians if there are good abeg. Both of them good.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Shegzdave: 9:03pm On Apr 07, 2023
Theflint1:

Wole Soyinka's style is very technical and I'm sure that's why his appeal was never close to Achebe's despite being a fantastic writer. If he never won the Nobel Prize,I believe nobody go really send e book for Naija like that. I sought his books out mainly cause I knew he won the Nobel Prize in Literature for his writings, so naturally assumed they held value...I found them painfully boring though. Abiku was beautiful, read it in SS1 Literature where they compared his version of Abiku to J. P. Clarks'....I preferred Wole Soyinka's Abiku.

Both stars in their own right, but I think without the Nobel Prize, Wole Soyinka's works in literature would have long slipped into obscurity, quietly too. Chinua Achebe didn't need a Nobel Prize or any other award for that matter to forever have his place in our hearts and heads.

😂😂
This guy and his funny takes

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 9:04pm On Apr 07, 2023
Theflint1:

Wole Soyinka's style is very technical and I'm sure that's why his appeal was never close to Achebe's despite being a fantastic writer. I'm sure if he never won the Nobel Prize, nobody go really send e book for Naija like that. I sought his books out mainly cause I knew he won the Nobel Prize in Literature for his writings, so naturally assumed they held value...I found them painfully boring though. Abiku was beautiful, read it in SS1 Literature where they compared his version of Abiku to J. P. Clarks'.

Both stars in their own right, although I think without the Nobel Prize, Wole Soyinka's works in literature would long have quietly slipped into obscurity.

Lols, all these shallow Nl arguments. I think without the goals, Messi is just another Ahmed Musa.

Nairaland arguments na comic relief. What made WS win the nobel prize in the first place if not for his works in literature that you said would long have quietly slipped into obscurity?

Those silly obidients just dey waste their time castigating WS on social media.

He has successfully written his name on the sands of time. No amount of social media noise will erase that.

Everyone doesn't have to support your candidate.

When all the social media noises die down, Soyinka will still be the first winner of nobel prize in literature in Africa, a recipient of the Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR) award, among other prestigious awards.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 9:05pm On Apr 07, 2023
airmark:
Oasis, Larride, una dodge a bullet in Lagos.

https://twitter.com/AmodaOgunlere/status/1644308927205580800?t=B0i8CU_o4Boao1rtMVMqGQ&s=19

grin

Em Wife sef don tán na wọ rọ. We are Batists not Buharists.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 9:08pm On Apr 07, 2023
A001:

Lols, all these shallow Nl arguments. I think without the goals, Messi is just another Ahmed Musa.

Nairaland arguments na comic relief. What made WS win the nobel prize in the first place if not for his works in literature that you said would long have quietly slipped into obscurity?

Alhaji, you don disown your people sharp sharp?

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Shegzdave: 9:08pm On Apr 07, 2023
A001:

He has successfully written his name on the sands of time. No amount of social media noise will erase that.

Everyone doesn't have to support your candidate.

When all the social media noises die down, Soyinka will still be the first winner of nobel prize in literature in Africa, a recipient of the Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR) award, among other prestigious awards.

😂😂
Raumdeter, comman see something based on your reply to Amoto this afternoon
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 9:08pm On Apr 07, 2023
Amoto94:

Go and observe Qiyamul layl and leave ahl siyasah alone

grin

Motigbọ.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 9:09pm On Apr 07, 2023
airmark:

Just say his lines most times, fly over your head. Then, we will understand.
Na English, how hard can it possibly be to grasp with sufficient concentration?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2276) (2277) (2278) (2279) (2280) (2281) (2282) ... (5222) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: seankafor(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.