Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,914 members, 7,890,032 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 07:57 AM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2796) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1661646 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2793) (2794) (2795) (2796) (2797) (2798) (2799) ... (4987) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by aieromon(m): 12:49pm On Jun 23, 2023
afrodoc:

Once again the people who framed this constitution need to be flogged. Meanwhile the lawyer explaining it just went round and round without clarifying specific issues. No wonder our lawyers frame confusing laws.

The only explanation I can give for the “Subject to Section 28” in that Section 182 which will exonerate Hamzat is that they meant people who are not Nigerians by birth can’t acquire dual citizenship elsewhere and still run for governor.
If that’s the case then Section 182 is superfluous as Section 177 already states that only citizens by birth can be governors.

On face value Section 182 states that if you voluntarily acquire the citizenship of another country you can’t run for governor.

Prior rulings have to be viewed in context because while the constitution requires governors and presidents to be Nigerian by birth, it allows representatives just to be Nigerian (by birth or otherwise).

I agree 💯.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 12:55pm On Jun 23, 2023
larride:

That's what I'm saying, That section 66(1) a, it's practically the same thing with section 182 (a) with exact wordings.

See the screenshot.

It can apply to NASS because members of NASS can be Nigerians by naturalisation and not only by birth.

That section 182 has no place in the constitution. Section 177 has already stated clearly that only Nigerians by birth can be governor so what is another section (Section 182) which has nothing to do with Nigerians by birth doing there again?

That section will never apply to anyone.

Do you know what, let’s do an exercise.
Can you give me a scenario whereby a candidate is Nigerian by birth thereby fulfilling Section 177 but is also not Nigerian by birth and acquires dual citizenship thereby susceptible to disqualification under Section 182?

Or better yet, simply describe to me any scenario in which Section 182 disqualifies anybody.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 12:55pm On Jun 23, 2023
aieromon:

Your position applies to someone who became a citizen by naturalization or registration. Let a SAN explain better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaM2tFXKhGo

Watch from the 2:00 mark

https://thenigerialawyer.com/a-nigerian-with-dual-citizenship-can-contest-for-any-election-in-nigeria/

SANship has mostly gone to shit. No SAN since Gani has been as vocal as Festus Keyamo on national issues in recent years, but we saw him paint black as white before our very eyes. So because a SAN said it, it's final?

The law isn't ambiguous on this one. No Latin phrase - just English in its simplest form.

You don't have to defend everything.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 12:57pm On Jun 23, 2023
afrodoc:

It can apply to NASS because members of NASS can be Nigerians by naturalisation and not only by birth.

That section 182 has no place in the constitution. Section 177 has already stated clearly that only Nigerians by birth can be governor so why is another section (Section 182) which has nothing to do with Nigerians by birth doing there again?

That section will never apply to anyone.

Do you know what, let’s do an exercise.
Can you give me a scenario whereby a candidate is Nigerian by birth thereby fulfilling Section 177 but is also not Nigerian by birth and acquires dual citizenship thereby susceptible to disqualification under Section 182?

Or better yet, simply describe to me any scenario in which Section 182 disqualifies anybody.

Na copy and paste them do.

Infact if you check for President, you will see the exact same provision listed there. 😂
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 12:59pm On Jun 23, 2023
larride:

Na copy and paste them do.

Infact if you check for President, you will see the exact same provision listed there. 😂

Gawd have mercy!

How can you be lazy in writing your country’s constitution?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 1:06pm On Jun 23, 2023
afrodoc:

Gawd have mercy!

How can you be lazy in writing your country’s constitution?

Here it is. 😂

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by chrisooblog: 1:10pm On Jun 23, 2023
I remember Ben Murray-Bruce many years ago was denied a Senate candidacy on account of his American citizenship but the fact that he some years later made it to the NASS indicates he's covered by section 177.

Note he was born in Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/2923575/senator-ben-bruce-american-citizenship

larride:

That's what I'm saying, That section 66(1) a, it's practically the same thing with section 182 (a) with exact wordings.

See the screenshot.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Realmrsean: 1:10pm On Jun 23, 2023
When is bat going to be disqualified undecided

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 1:43pm On Jun 23, 2023
Spy360:

Key word in that argument.

It is unfortunate that most of our learned friends here are easily blinded by sentiments. They will excuse nonsense as long as it aligns with them. From thuggery, to tribal bigotry, to election rigging and now this.

Evil cannot triumph over good. Chukwu ekwela.

Was Willie Obiano born an American or acquired it voluntarily
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 1:47pm On Jun 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

The real issue here is hamzat has been chasing the seat since before 2015.he was fasholas choice for governor but ambo happened. He was basically been doing governor in training. As it is, this will almost certainly torpedo any future hopes he has. It may even be some people within apc who have eyes on 2027

Was he Fasholas choice or was Sashore
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Spy360(m): 1:48pm On Jun 23, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:

Simple question.

The Xtian god according 2 the bible, is he an all_powerful god?

Is he an all~merciful god?

Is he an impartial god?
He is all powerful yet most gracious

He is all merciful and just.

He is impartial, yet faithful. The Lord knows those who are His.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Spy360(m): 1:50pm On Jun 23, 2023
larride:

There's a reason why that section 182 refer back to section 28 in the beginning of the sentence meaning the section 182 is not standing alone.

As a Nigerian by birth, you can hold dual citizenship whether voluntarily or citizenship by birth. You are eligible to stand for elective positions.
So why was the word 'voluntary' included to the law?

What was the purpose of Section 182?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 1:51pm On Jun 23, 2023
raumdeuter:

Was he Fasholas choice or was Sashore

My memory says fashola. I could be wrong though.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Spy360(m): 1:51pm On Jun 23, 2023
raumdeuter:

Was Willie Obiano born an American or acquired it voluntarily
I don't know, educate me please.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 1:57pm On Jun 23, 2023
Spy360:
He is all powerful yet most graciouse is impartial, yet faithful.

Yet he looked away when iswap & gunmen murdered childrens!

Why?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 2:06pm On Jun 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

You are right
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 2:07pm On Jun 23, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:

Yet he looked away when iswap & gunmen
murdered childrens!

Why?

Nymata church massacre has entered the chat.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Spy360(m): 2:08pm On Jun 23, 2023
afrodoc:

Once again the people who framed this constitution need to be flogged. Meanwhile the lawyer explaining it just went round and round without clarifying specific issues. No wonder our lawyers frame confusing laws.

The only explanation I can give for the “Subject to Section 28” in that Section 182 which will exonerate Hamzat is that they meant people who are not Nigerians by birth can’t acquire dual citizenship elsewhere and still run for governor.
If that’s the case then Section 182 is superfluous as Section 177 already states that only citizens by birth can be governors.

On face value Section 182 states that if you voluntarily acquire the citizenship of another country you can’t run for governor.

Prior rulings have to be viewed in context because while the constitution requires governors and presidents to be Nigerian by birth, it allows representatives just to be Nigerian (by birth or otherwise).
'Subject to Section 28' means that section 28 is the first criterion, after which this section then applies. So if a person passes section 28, he then faces section 182.

Hamzat did pass section 28 being a Nigerian by birth. But now faces the new section 182 which asks if he has voluntarily acquired another citizenship?

Let me make it simple to understand

Qualifications for contest for governor
1. Are you a Nigerian by birth (Section 28)
(A) If yes, go to no 2.
(B) If no, have you acquired Nigerian citizenship?
(i) If yes, go to no2
(ii) If no, disqualified

2. Have you voluntarily acquired another citizenship? (Section 182)
(A) If yes, disqualified
(B) If no, qualified.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 2:24pm On Jun 23, 2023
Spy360:

He is all powerful yet most gracious.

Thank you, even Isaiah 41 vs 10 said something similar...."So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your god. I'll strengthen you & help you, I'll uphold you with my righteous right hand".

Pls where was his righteous right hand when Deborah was burnt to death in Sokoto?

Was he on Sabbathical when hoodlums murdered kids in his house of worship?

There's war in Ukraine, innocent kids who don't know sh!t are shot 2 death... nursing mothers, the sick & the 0ld getting bombed 2 death in hospital..

@ what level & stage will he manifest his powerfulness?.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by chrisooblog: 2:27pm On Jun 23, 2023
Shasore was Fashola's choice.

GloriousGbola:

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 2:32pm On Jun 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

Nymata church massacre has entered the chat.

Thank u. Your gbola will live long
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 2:33pm On Jun 23, 2023
afrodoc:

From this writing by Bolaji Aluko, It seems this case has been taken to the Supreme court in 2001

http://www.dawodu.com/aluko18.htm

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Realmrsean: 2:35pm On Jun 23, 2023
https://www.nairaland.com/7738646/bitter-experience-police-station/1

Another day of numerous police brutality in the shithole
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 2:36pm On Jun 23, 2023
📌📌📌

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 2:38pm On Jun 23, 2023
🤡🤡🤡

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 2:40pm On Jun 23, 2023
Chibuike Ugwuoke, a cyber security expert, on Wednesday, presented metadata which he claimed to have extracted from the INEC result viewing portal (IReV).

Under cross-examination on Thursday by Abubakar Mahmoud, INEC’s lawyer, Ugwuoke said the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) Act stipulates that all technologies used by INEC must adhere to the ISO 27001 2013 standard.

However, Emmanuel Edet, another LP witness who is the head of legal services at NITDA, said such requirements do not exist under the NITDA Act.

“The NITDA Act does not contain any cyber security standard code – ISO 27001 2013,” Edet said.

The witness also said no provision in the act makes reference to INEC.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 2:43pm On Jun 23, 2023
raumdeuter:

From this writing by Bolaji Aluko, It seems this case has been taken to the Supreme court in 2001

http://www.dawodu.com/aluko18.htm
Bros wetin happen na angry
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 2:45pm On Jun 23, 2023
OasisX:
Chibuike Ugwuoke, a cyber security expert, on Wednesday, presented metadata which he claimed to have extracted from the INEC result viewing portal (IReV).

Under cross-examination on Thursday by Abubakar Mahmoud, INEC’s lawyer, Ugwuoke said the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) Act stipulates that all technologies used by INEC must adhere to the ISO 27001 2013 standard.

However, Emmanuel Edet, another LP witness who is the head of legal services at NITDA, said such requirements do not exist under the NITDA Act.

“The NITDA Act does not contain any cyber security standard code – ISO 27001 2013,” Edet said.

The witness also said no provision in the act makes reference to INEC.

What format are the files uploaded to the portal? And of what relevance is this?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 2:45pm On Jun 23, 2023
iamoyindamola:

Bros wetin happen na angry

I am loyal to you sir
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by aieromon(m): 2:49pm On Jun 23, 2023
DissTroy:

SANship has mostly gone to shit. No SAN since Gani has been as vocal as Festus Keyamo on national issues in recent years, but we saw him paint black as white before our very eyes. So because a SAN said it, it's final?

The law isn't ambiguous on this one. No Latin phrase - just English in its simplest form.

You don't have to defend everything.

Nov 2022
The Federal High Court in Calabar, Cross River State has dismissed a suit that sought to nullify the candidacies of the governorship and deputy governorship candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.

In their Originating Summons, PDP and its governorship candidate, Onor contended that the candidacy of Peter Odey was unconstitutional, arguing that he is not a duly registered member of the APC and he has dual citizenship having sworn to an oath of allegiance to the United Kingdom (UK).

Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, defended both Senator Bassey Otu and Odey against the PDP and Onor.

On Thursday, the presiding judge, Justice Rosemary Dugbo Oghohorie dismissed the suit.

The court upheld the arguments canvassed by the defendants’ counsel, Ozekhome that the Defendants were duly elected and qualified.

The court held that the uncontroverted evidence before the court clearly showed that Odey was duly registered in his ward as a member of the APC.

On the second issue related to his dual citizenship, the court agreed with Ozekhome that Odey from the evidence before the court, is a citizen of Nigeria by birth and therefore his citizenship of the UK cannot vitiate his eligibility to contest for the office of the Deputy Governor of Cross River State.

The court, therefore, concluded that the suit of the plaintiffs was devoid of any merit whatsoever and accordingly dismissed same.

https://saharareporters.com/2022/11/25/nigerian-court-dismisses-pdp-suit-seeking-disqualify-apc-gov-candidate-cross-river-otu

Feb 2023
The Calabar Division of the Court of Appeal has dismissed an appeal filed by Senator Sandy Onor of the Peoples’ Democratic Party and governorship candidate in the February 2023 general elections in Cross Rivers State.

Onor is seeking the disqualification of the candidate of the All Progressive Congress, Senator Bassey Otu and his running mate, Peter Odey, for lacking merit.

The appeal was thrown out on Saturday in a unanimous decision on an appeal filed and argued by Prof. Mike Ozekhome, SAN, the three-man panel of the Court of Appeal, presided over by Justice Raphael Agbo (in which Justices Balkisu Aliyu and Justice Oyebisi Omoleye, concurred) in Appeal No CA/C/392/2022, dismissed the appeal as lacking in merit and non-justiciable.

In addition, the court affirmed the earlier judgement of the Federal High Court in suit no. FHC/CA/CS/142/2022, delivered by Justice R.O. Dugbo-Oghoghorie on November, 24, 2022.

In the originating summons at the trial court, the appellants argued that Odey was disqualified from contesting the elections on the ground that he was not a member of the party and that he possessed dual citizenship of both Nigeria and the United Kingdom.

Senator Otu and his running mate had through their counsel, Ozekhome argued that membership of a political matter is the internal party affair, which is non-justiciable; and also that the APC’ deputy governorship candidate was not disqualified, being a Nigerian citizen by birth who only subsequently acquired British citizenship by naturalisation.

The trial judge agreed with this submission of law and dismissed Senator Onor’s suit as lacking in merit.

https://punchng.com/acourt-dismisses-cross-river-pdp-gov-candidates-suit/

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 2:50pm On Jun 23, 2023
grin

{3 john 1 vs 2}..."beloved, i wish above all things that thou mayest prosper & be in health even as thy soul prospereth"

no be the type of wish where Rev Fr ran away via the church emergency exist leaving the children & old parishoners @ the mercy 0f bandits
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 2:53pm On Jun 23, 2023
raumdeuter:

I am loyal to you sir
I can't see shiit to read cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (2793) (2794) (2795) (2796) (2797) (2798) (2799) ... (4987) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.