Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,080 members, 7,939,336 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 11:59 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4052) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1824673 Views)

EPL: Huddlesfield Town Vs Manchester City (full time) 1-2 / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4049) (4050) (4051) (4052) (4053) (4054) (4055) ... (5222) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 12:48pm On Jan 17
liveLongNprospa:

Yup.
That crater used to be a house

Ol'boy! shocked

They need to really investigate what actually happened there o
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DeadPresidents: 1:17pm On Jan 17
nihilistjnr:

I disagree with this.

In the UK, its not necessarily ability that gets you to the top, even though it helps.

It's who you know. Most interviews that I've attended tend to be more checks for 'face-fit' than actual skill. After all, if they invite you ti an interview, then they believe at least on paper that you have a profile that matches the job description requirements.

There's a phrase that really emphasises the incestuous nature of middle and upper management in corporate Britain - Failing Upwards - a phenomena where seemingly incompetent people continue to receive career promotions almost as rewards for their numerous fuckups.

The disadvantage that we have as Nigeria immigrants in the corporate environment is that we don't yet have the informal social networks that the whites have had for centuries, although I expect this to change within a few generations.

There’s this friend of mine who made it to Staff Engineer and got a manager who knew how to kiss the right butts and he exemplified failing upwards.

The new manager made working on the team so intolerable that a 10-man team had 6 resignations in one quarter. Ordinarily, that should be reason for inquiry but the manager got a promotion instead.

Corporate politics is insane
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 1:18pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

Ol'boy! shocked

They need to really investigate what actually happened there o

You see say no be gas
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 1:39pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:
https://www.nairaland.com/7971783/insecurity-wike-condemns-constant-travel

Itsrm help me tell wike he's ment grin grin grin

This man is at best well suited for village headmaster post
He doesn't look or sound alright to me i no know wetin you see in him sha

Lol..What's wrong with it though? I had to watch the video to understand the context before responding. He called them out for travelling out of the country without giving notice to anyone. He's essentially saying they all have their role to play in tackling the scourge of insecurity. Everything does not start and end with the minister of FCT.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 1:41pm On Jan 17
DeadPresidents:

There’s this friend of mine who made it to Staff Engineer and got a manager who knew how to kiss the right butts and he exemplified failing upwards.

The new manager made working on the team so intolerable that a 10-man team had 6 resignations in one quarter. Ordinarily, that should be reason for inquiry but the manager got a promotion instead.

Corporate politics is insane

My wife learnt this the hard way. When I was telling her, she will say promotion comes from God grin

When she stayed four years on the same grade, she finally listened to me and eventually got promoted in her fifth year. Now she's sure of promotion every three years.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 1:46pm On Jan 17
Itsrm:

Lol..What's wrong with it though? I had to watch the video to understand the context before responding. He called them out for travelling out of the country without giving notice to anyone. He's essentially saying they all have their role to play in tackling the scourge of insecurity. Everything does not start and end with the minister of FCT.
You sef hear yourself na
Area council area what can they do in such situation
Running after the kidnappers, maybe they even ran away from been kidnapped sef
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 1:46pm On Jan 17
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 1:48pm On Jan 17
How are we sharing the country with these people sef

https://www.nairaland.com/7972863/reinstate-betta-edu-minister-auf

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 1:50pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:

You sef hear yourself na
Area council area what can they do in such situation
Running after the kidnappers, maybe they even ran away from been kidnapped sef

They are closer to the people. They can help gather intel which will be given to security agents.

No one is asking them to go and bring the kidnappers.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 1:54pm On Jan 17
Itsrm:

They are closer to the people. They can help gather intel which will be given to security agents.

No one is asking them to go and bring the kidnappers.

Bro let's reason it together you want them to point fingers right
So that when the security forces leave the criminals will come back to kill them
Let wike and the security do their work, he should stop looking for irrelevant excuses
The victims family will provide more information than the area councilors
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 2:03pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:
https://www.nairaland.com/7971783/insecurity-wike-condemns-constant-travel

Itsrm help me tell wike he's ment grin grin grin

This man is at best well suited for village headmaster post
He doesn't look or sound alright to me i no know wetin you see in him sha

But why do local council chairmen need to travel abroad often ? Wetin dem dey find outside their constituency in the first place ?

Even in Lagos we’ve had some LCDA chairmen who live so far away from their LCDA which actually doesn’t make sense to me. They are meant to be the closest arm of government to the people .

I think I agree with Wike here , how will the council chairmen know what’s happening in their council when they are far away in another continent ? How will they brief Wike the FCT ministers of happenings in their councils when they themselves are far away ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 2:15pm On Jan 17
Somehow I wish it were possible to embed individual Nairaland comments as one can do with individual tweets.

The back-and-forths so far about outsourcing services and the future of work from the everyday Nigerian (and African) perspective make for truly robust anecdotes with various key points touched on, particularly about skill competence and the place of networking.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 2:18pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

But why do local council chairmen need to travel abroad often ? Wetin dem dey find outside their constituency in the first place ?

Even in Lagos we’ve had some LCDA chairmen who live so far away from their LCDA which actually doesn’t make sense to me. They are meant to be the closest arm of government to the people .

I think I agree with Wike here , how will the council chairmen know what’s happening in their council when they are far away in another continent ? How will they brief Wike the FCT ministers of happenings in their councils when they themselves are far away ?
Exactly this is actually what happens but baba is looking for scapegoat for his incompetency
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 2:24pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:

Exactly this is actually what happens but baba is looking for scapegoat for his incompetency

I don't think he's making excuse for anything; he's only addressing an anomaly that has been going on for too long. Normally a council chairman can travel abroad for annual leave and working visit when the need arises, but it doesn't make sense for a council chairman to spend weeks and even months outside their constituencies when they are not bed-ridden in an hospital.

I believe if a council is always available and accessible, the people would find it easy communicating any major issue to them and some of these issues can be nipped in the bud before they get to a national scale. We can't say because Abuja happens to be the FCT where the seat of federal government is situated so the council chairmen should abdicate their duties na.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 2:27pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

I don't think he's making excuse for anything; he's only addressing an anomaly that has been going on for too long. Normally a council chairman can travel abroad for annual leave and working visit when the need arises, but it doesn't make sense for a council chairman to spend weeks and even months outside their constituencies when they are not bed-ridden in an hospital.

I believe if a council is always available and accessible, the people would find it easy communicating any major issue to them and some of these issues can be nipped in the bud before they get to a national scale. We can't say because Abuja happens to be the FCT where the seat of federal government is situated so the council chairmen should abdicate their duties na.
But this as been going since forever even when he was a governor
What did he do?
Eventually he didn't tackle the issue at hand instead created a diversion
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 2:43pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:

But this as been going since forever even when he was a governor
What did he do?
Eventually he didn't tackle the issue at hand instead created a diversion

The timing still doesn't make him wrong.He ruled Rivers as governor and not Abuja; neither me nor you know if LGA chairmen in Rivers were not gallivanting all over the world while he was governor.

Now that he is FCT minister he has raised a very reasonable point, let the concerned council chairmen adjust and make themselves visible in their respective councils
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 2:45pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

The timing still doesn't make him wrong.He ruled Rivers as governor and not Abuja; neither me nor you know if LGA chairmen in Rivers were not gallivanting all over the world while he was governor.

Now that he is FCT minister he has raised a very reasonable point, let the concerned council chairmen adjust and make themselves visible in their respective councils
What about the reason he was called
The kidnapping issue did he give solution or update?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 2:50pm On Jan 17
Nobody rate us at all for this country

How can someone carry long gun like ak47 and mistakenly fire himself in the head shocked

https://www.nairaland.com/7972849/how-soldier-boyi-thankgod-killed

Strange things are happening

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Spy360(m): 2:51pm On Jan 17
joseph1832:
the solution to insecurity is one even your messiah, Peter Obi doesn't have, as he's yet to criticise Simon Ekpa and his IPOB/Autopiloters, who have almost crippled the economy of the South East, so let's leave that aside.

As for those statements. Pretty random statements as even I can say I can't be a Nairalander moderator because seun pay chick feed.

I can even say Osun allocation is small change to Me. It is what it is, talk, nothing more, nothing less. It is because Tinubu made those statement that's why you and others are dancing skelewu allover it.
If you are educated your education is fundamentally flawed.

1. Why mention Peter Obi when he is not the president. So whatever Peter Obi can not do we should not expect Tinubu to do it?

2. Your response to those random statements is an indictment on how stupid your principal is since you accept those statements are stupid. Does making random statements serve as an excuse for inaccountability? Didn't those statements come from someone's brain?

9 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 2:51pm On Jan 17
Posers for the Governor of Oyo State Seyi Makinde and Security agencies regarding the deadly #IbadanBlast last night

1. Even in developed countries, it takes nothing less than 48 hours before government agencies make a categorical statement about such a massive explosion. These include cordoning off the area, obtaining evidence on the scene, and analyzing it before telling the public what exactly happened.

2. In less than 10 hours, Governor Seyi makinde already "investigated" the incident and submitted it was “Illegal Miners.” Who are the illegal miners? What do they mine, and why are they in possession of such powerful explosives?

3. Is there any explosives dealer known to security agencies in a high-brow neighborhood in Ibadan that the govt had long been aware of and did nothing about?

4. Again, who is that miner? What is the miner's name, and what do they mine in Oyo state? Is it gold, silver, cobalt, uranium, or what? A release should be done immediately to reveal the identity of the miner!

5. Mining and using explosives has a procedure and rarely explodes without a trigger, especially dynamite. You have to ignite it automatedly or use fire. Was the building rigged with explosives? If so, why so?

6. Is the governor or Oyo state government aware of mining in Agodi residential area? Is the governor aware of it, or is his or the state carrying out rock blasting in a residential area?

7. The DSS is saddled with approving the use of explosives around Nigeria. What is their public position on what happened? At least citizens need a preliminary report from the DSS on this matter immediately.

Source: Omoyele Sowore

I believe Sowore raised reasonable points here. Make Seyi Makinde give us further updates
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Spy360(m): 2:54pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

How does addressing the anomaly solve the question on ground? Unless it does I think it's a distraction. As a matter of fact, Wike should have been referring to himself when making that warning because he himself does not spend two consecutive days in Abuja before rushing back to Rivers.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 2:55pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:

What about the reason he was called
The kidnapping issue did he give solution or update?

I'm sure that is not the full excerpts of the meeting. PM news obviously reported a part of his speech at the meeting.

By now u should know how Nigerian newspapers operate na; they can make 3 to 4 news headlines from one single event/meeting.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 2:56pm On Jan 17
Spy360:

How does addressing the anomaly solve the question on ground? Unless it does I think it's a distraction. As a matter of fact, Wike should have been referring to himself when making that warning because he himself does not spend two consecutive days in Abuja before rushing back to Rivers.

BlueRayDick:

I'm sure that is not the full excerpts of the meeting. PM news obviously reported a part of his speech at the meeting.

By now u should know how Nigerian newspapers operate na; they can make 3 to 4 news headlines from one single event/meeting.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 2:56pm On Jan 17
Spy360:

To continue his fight with fubara abi
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by akwesenana: 3:03pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:
Nobody rate us at all for this country

How can someone carry long gun like ak47 and mistakenly fire himself in the head shocked

https://www.nairaland.com/7972849/how-soldier-boyi-thankgod-killed

Strange things are happening
Nigerian Army needs a proper shake down. From cadets and junior officers bragging about snatching people's girlfriends to forcefully forcing people to transfer money (like SARS) to this.

I no even mention those ones where dey harass heavy duty drivers for express way.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 3:08pm On Jan 17
akwesenana:
Nigerian Army needs a proper shake down. From cadets and junior officers bragging about snatching people's girlfriends to forcefully forcing people to transfer money (like SARS) to this.

I no even mention those ones where dey harass heavy duty drivers for express way.
I read this on twitter too
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc2: 3:25pm On Jan 17
Spy360:

If you are educated your education is fundamentally flawed.

1. Why mention Peter Obi when he is not the president. So whatever Peter Obi can not do we should not expect Tinubu to do it?

2. Your response to those random statements is an indictment on how stupid your principal is since you accept those statements are stupid. Does making random statements serve as an excuse for inaccountability? Didn't those statements come from someone's brain?

grin

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 3:27pm On Jan 17
DissTroy:
Somehow I wish it were possible to embed individual Nairaland comments as one can do with individual tweets.

The back-and-forths so far about outsourcing services and the future of work from the everyday Nigerian (and African) perspective make for truly robust anecdotes with various key points touched on, particularly about skill competence and the place of networking.

I think Nigerians are doing okay in the Tech and outsourcing world for now.
Over Xmas I had this conversation with a friend and we came to conclusion that the fastest way to grow Nigeria was to develop outsourcing. East Asian countries have the jump on us

India has like a 20yrs headstart over us and China maybe like a 50yrs headstart. What you will call the Tech revolution in Nigeria started less than 10yrs actually closer to 5yrs. In 2010 If you mention you have a Developer based in Nigeria people will look at you funny, but nowadays with the growth of online training platforms, the knowledge is spreading faster. And more Nigerians are tapping into it. Around 2009 In the US, At a very big organization I was working, I sent an email to a Distribution list and one Nigerian guy came to look for me cos my name was Nigerian the first he is seeing in the Tech side while we had over 300 Indians. Nowadays Nigerian names are getting more and more common in these space

I still think very few people are into Tech in Nigeria compared to those countries. The more Nigerians get into that space the more we establish ourselves as a force in it. Because we have what Indians don't have which is determination and die there mentality

We have some natural disadvantage. In the world of outsourcing the biggest currency is Trust and perception.
An average westerner hears India/China and thinks smart, They hear Nigeria they think something else. If you are a white guy calling your bank and their call center is in India/Philippines you will be like Shitt I have to deal with terrible accent, If you call and hear Nigeria your mind goes to something totally different. It takes a while to correct that

I have called Microsoft M365 to troubleshoot a license issue and the rep who picked it a smart girl that sounded young with a familiar accent, Pa pa pa in a few minutes figured the thing out and resolved it. After the call I asked for her name and I wasn't wrong she is Nigerian based in LAGOS!!. If I am to hire someone I will get her immediately

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 3:38pm On Jan 17
DissTroy:

When I had that discussion with my friend over Xmas some of the solutions we think can work is if some Nigerians in corporate world in Nigeria and Diaspora get together

1. Go to a University campus outside Lagos preferably OAU, Liaise with the University that the sponsors will offer to pay a part of the student school fees, have a lab filled with laptops and trainers for different in demand IT skills. An initial 8weeks boot camp with many real world scenarios

In exchange get them jobs which they can coordinate with their school work, and pay them. They have a bond time where they have to work with the organization, after the bond period you can leave or stay

Tying it to the school setting ensures they are serious minded people, they are captured very young at the age of curiosity and fun not when you are doing things because you need to survive. Also we can use the data submitted to the school to track anyone who tries to be steal asset or data

The choice of outside Lagos to stay away from typical Lagos distraction

Note: A big percentage of Indian IT guys come from 1 school (cant recall the name of the school)

I believe if Nigeria churn out 50K new Tech guys yearly. We will dominate Africa, and soon overtake the Asian countries

5 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 3:41pm On Jan 17
Spy360:

Lies. He only spends weekends in Rivers State.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 3:45pm On Jan 17
izzou:

See the scanty lines wey dem write sef.

For 3 billion naira?

I expected a spiral binded, 40 page document, explaining what they want the money for.

The disrespect on that amount is too much grin

Why is nobody talking about the N3billion approved for social register verification sef ? Does this whole thing not scream of Money laundering/embezzlement of public funds?

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 3:49pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

Why is nobody talking about the N3billion approved for social register verification sef ? Does this whole thing not scream of Money laundering/embezzlement of public funds?

You guys really have strength with the way una dey probe and ask questions.

Let us keep asking what Obi would have done, while 3 billion is being used to verify a register....Verification only.

Una get strength.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (4049) (4050) (4051) (4052) (4053) (4054) (4055) ... (5222) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: nihilistjnr and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.