Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,784 members, 7,882,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 12:14 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4818) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1635393 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4815) (4816) (4817) (4818) (4819) (4820) (4821) ... (4956) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 10:45am On Jun 12
Theflint1:
Side-by-Side Diageo, Tolaram could as well be Izzou and Sons. There's nothing to celebrate in "tier 1" companies leaving the country in droves.

Now you are capping. Please Google them and go to their website.

You are also missing a key point, most of these western multinationals cannot make a profit in Nigeria. There is an article I read indicating they are leaving west Africa as a whole because they cannot crack the code of operating in our market and environment

It was in the news that the huggies manufacturer (Kimberly wetin call) have shut down their plant, but from day one they were beaten blue by molfix (Lebanese if I recall) , who built a much cheaper factory that cost less to operate and produced a cheaper product of better quality. This is as far back as 2017-18 that their factory was making a loss and people started buying molfix enmasse.

The izzou and sons class tolaram have dominated the noodles market from inception. Even in the face of competition from cut throat killers like dangote. Possibly because among other things they are Indonesian and have a lot on common with the Nigerian environment.

Personally If I have to copy a design for a project - I will look at India, Pakistan, Indonesia type setups because those have already been proven to work in third world /developing country environments.
The

5 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 10:49am On Jun 12
Theflint1:
That's specific, relevant and not scatter-gun, I won't class that as overzealous assuming she didn't present it in Usual Abike Dabiri fashion. My point is more about elements of their presentation that gives village town-crier or some overbearing elder.

That was one incident. Now tell me how many Nigerians are arrested everyday in airports carrying drugs.

So by your argument addressing one incident is specific, but addressing multiple incidents of the same kind is scattergun?

Would you also look at frsc advising drivers not to drink, to keep children in the back of the car, to ensure you have a spare tire as silly since we 'know' Nigerians are all good drivers?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DeadPresidents: 10:49am On Jun 12
BlueRayDick:

I think we owe ourselves the truth on these matters. As recent as last week people were still caught with drugs trying to smuggle enroute Saudi for Hajj.

Just this last week a video of some girls trafficked to Ghana for prostitution circulated all over the internet . The world is not blind to these things .

We should tell our own people the honest truth in our own space so they don’t go out there and spoil show for me an u.

I agree with u that some of the official twitter handlers sometimes may be quite unprofessional in the way they communicate their messages tho

In Berlin last week, German authorities caught a syndicate running fake marriages for residency permits. The kingpins? I’m not allowed to say what race, what people…..it’s the Nigerians.

Another time in Hamburg, they caught two Nigerians with performing benefits fraud. They were listed as unemployed in Germany collecting monthly unemployment benefits meanwhile they were actually in Naija working for Shell (Omo see cash out grin)

Our people don’t deserve benefit of the doubt. Na why when dey treat me with scrutiny at airports, e dey pain but I understand.

Always remember, "Pesin wey mad man don bite before go take off when him see mechanic"

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 10:53am On Jun 12
DeadPresidents:

In Berlin last week, German authorities caught a syndicate running fake marriages for residency permits. The kingpins? I’m not allowed to say what race, what people…..it’s the Nigerians.

Another time in Hamburg, they caught two Nigerians with performing benefits fraud. They were listed as unemployed in Germany collecting monthly unemployment benefits meanwhile they were actually in Naija working for Shell (Omo see cash out grin)

Our people don’t deserve benefit of the doubt. Na why when dey treat me with scrutiny at airports, e dey pain but I understand.

Always remember, "Pesin wey mad man don bite before go take off when him see mechanic"

Sharp dia with your negative bs. Nigeria is the greatest! Nigerians are the greatest! Nigeria number one!

Those people who came to you in the nightclub for coke did so because they first visited the immigration website - which told them Nigerians main profession in the west is selling drugs.

Another time in Hamburg, they caught two Nigerians with performing benefits fraud. They were listed as unemployed in Germany collecting monthly unemployment benefits meanwhile they were actually in Naija working for Shell (

This is actually frightening because it tells you that it is not in any way about poverty but greed.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 10:57am On Jun 12
DeadPresidents:

Can u imagine ?

Even people wey manage to escape naija enter Canada get decent job, some of them still do picker for Yahoo boys running apartment scam ( I heard of this recently )

Sometimes it’s not even about greed , we just feel we can outsmart any system which is actually a false feeling.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 11:03am On Jun 12
When the farmers safety doesn't matter to the government, they will even make laws to protect cows, some go dey shout "where are the cows"?? Why hunger no go dey? Who wan risk him life go farm 🚜🐄🌾?

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 11:05am On Jun 12
BlueRayDick:

Can u imagine ?

Even people wey manage to escape naija enter Canada get decent job, some of them still do picker for Yahoo boys running apartment scam ( I heard of this recently )

Sometimes it’s not even about greed , we just feel we can outsmart any system which is actually a false feeling.

It is learned behavior from Nigeria where you can bribe your way out of anything. And where police do not care about the crime but their cut. Remember how hushpuppy was posturing when he was arrested
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 11:08am On Jun 12
DeadPresidents:

Is it possible the reason these things registered with you was that it was Nigerians involved, and not necessarily because they're involved in most of the crimes in Germany?

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 11:09am On Jun 12
DeadPresidents:

Do you commit more crimes than Chinese citizens?
If you don't recognise the reason for the disrespect has nothing to do with your "crimes" and more to do with the lack of foreign policy and also our poverty as a nation then I have nothing to say my guy.

There are countries whose citizens commit more and they don't have to deal with the disrespect. Nor be by advice. Let Nigeria be valuable and all these "we have loud citizens, we are cultists etc" won't matter one bit.

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 11:11am On Jun 12
https://twitter.com/mbahdeyforyou/status/1800830868334006539?s=46

So Tinubu fell this morning or is this a doctored video ?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 11:12am On Jun 12
Theflint1:
Is it possible the reason these things registered with you was that it was Nigerians involved, and not necessarily because they're involved in most of the crimes in Germany?

Maybe you can tell us if any other nationalty has engaged in armed robbery in dubai. Or took cult clashes.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 11:13am On Jun 12
BlueRayDick:

Your Tolaram example was off point.

Kelloggs was a foreign manufacturer of cereals that never had presence in Nigeria until they had a joint venture with Tolaram to produce Kellogg’s products for West African market.

Do u know what the bolded means ? It means they specifically came up with products for our market. It’s not like they bought an already established Kellogg’s producing business , then stepped down the quality of the products like u are making it seem.

That’s why ur Kellogg’s example holds no water in this case.

Who came up with products for our markets?
Kellogs themselves or tolaram.
Nigerians were able to afford kellogs in 2015 when the acquisition was stated to take place.
So I see no reason for this "catering to the Nigerian market" as if prior to that we had a weak purchasing power. It was done for expansion and that expansion led to the death of kellogs products as its quality dipped over time.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 11:14am On Jun 12
BlueRayDick:

Lol, man has a wicked k-leg and it affects balance like madt.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 11:17am On Jun 12
liveLongNprospa:

If you don't recognise the reason for the disrespect has nothing to do with your "crimes" and more to do with the lack of foreign policy and also our poverty as a nation then I have nothing to say my guy.

There are countries whose citizens commit more and they don't have to deal with the disrespect. Nor be by advice. Let Nigeria be valuable and all these "we have loud citizens, we are cultists etc" won't matter one bit.
I mean Indians have entire storey buildings dedicated to committing cyber crimes, I don't think I've seen anything near that scale anywhere around Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 11:19am On Jun 12
liveLongNprospa:

Who came up with products for our markets?
Kellogs themselves or tolaram.
Nigerians were able to afford kellogs in 2015 when the acquisition was stated to take place.
So I see no reason for this "catering to the Nigerian market" as if prior to that we had a weak purchasing power. It was done for expansion and that expansion led to the death of kellogs products as its quality dipped over time.

Baba u are going off tangent grin.

If u want to buy imported Kelloggs product today , u can buy it in Nigeria. U will see it at high end supermarkets in highbrow areas of Lagos and Abuja .

The Nigerian Kellogg’s is available same as the international one .

It’s just the same way u can buy imported indomie noodles and also buy the one made by Tolaram for Nigerian market .

So once again, what’s ur point ?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by EmmanuelScott1(m): 11:21am On Jun 12
BlueRayDick:

Hand dey shake, leg dey shake, baba wey no well he dey shout Emi Lokan.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by abduleez1(m): 11:26am On Jun 12
GloriousGbola:

Now you are capping. Please Google them and go to their website.

You are also missing a key point, most of these western multinationals cannot make a profit in Nigeria. There is an article I read indicating they are leaving west Africa as a whole because they cannot crack the code of operating in our market and environment

It was in the news that the huggies manufacturer (Kimberly wetin call) have shut down their plant, but from day one they were beaten blue by molfix (Lebanese if I recall) , who built a much cheaper factory that cost less to operate and produced a cheaper product of better quality. This is as far back as 2017-18 that their factory was making a loss and people started buying molfix enmasse.

The izzou and sons class tolaram have dominated the noodles market from inception. Even in the face of competition from cut throat killers like dangote. Possibly because among other things they are Indonesian and have a lot on common with the Nigerian environment.

Personally If I have to copy a design for a project - I will look at India, Pakistan, Indonesia type setups because those have already been proven to work in third world /developing country environments.
The

I agree with you on this. Some, if not most of these Western multinationals can't just compete in this our cut throat volatile climate.

I saw the Kimberly Clark news leaving Nigeria and saw they made investments of $100mn in their production plant and I was surprised thinking its just overestimation of their Investments, because I know they're not close to anything as a dominant market holder in the pampers/pads industry. I'm well aware of Molfix. I can very much remember over a year ago while I was learning under my boss when he and his colleagues made video promo for Huggies then and the company didn't pay them their money for over three months. I no even come remember whether dem later pay them the balance sef cos it was looking like a lost battle from my bosses them.
So, this company has been struggling for some time and not just recently. I'm not a family man or have kids so I can't say I know the prices of their products as against competitors, but for a long time I've always viewed that Huggies as a luxury brand or brand for the wealthy. I don't view them for the teeming populace of poor people that dominates the entire country. Might be an opinion from a point of ignorance.

One thing I've noticed, Asians, especially the Indians, Pakistanis, Lebanese, Chinese and the likes have cracked the code to manufacturing in Nigeria and continues to expand their footprints. A stark contrast in comparison to Western companies.

A few years ago it was the arrival of Burger King I'm which I wondered how them wan take adapt for Naija with their menus. Although, seems they were adapting well enough cos the last time I engaged with them I saw the company doing promo for their burgers for as low as around #1600-2500 IIRC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 11:26am On Jun 12
BlueRayDick:

Baba u are going off tangent grin.

If u want to buy imported Kelloggs product today , u can buy it in Nigeria. U will see it at high end supermarkets in highbrow areas of Lagos and Abuja .

The Nigerian Kellogg’s is available same as the international one .

It’s just the same way u can buy imported indomie noodles and also buy the one made by Tolaram for Nigerian market .

So once again, what’s ur point ?

Something something consumption to production.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc2: 11:27am On Jun 12
izzou:

When you talk, they'll tell you Nigeria is going through pains before ut becomes great

We are going through painnnssss!!!

Let's endure....

We are an extremely poor country grin grin grin grin

At a time where there's so much hardship, your VP (a 2 time governor) is using 21 billion to renovate his house..

But endure... grin

I am against the wasteful spending but spending money foolishly is not a reliable indicator of economic prosperity.

Everyone here either knows or has heard of people who are broke and rather than use the little money they have for family upkeep, they spend it on beer and olosho.
That is Nigeria’s situation.

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amigoss: 11:30am On Jun 12
Theflint1:

Exactly what I wanted to ask...for example in uk,one would have thought Nigeria would come out tops or top 5 but

There were 10,422 (3,422 remand, 6,632 sentenced and 368 non-criminal) foreign nationals held in custody on 31 March 2024; representing 12% of the total prison population. The number of FNOs in the prison population has increased by 3% compared to 31 March 2023, similar to the percentage growth in the number of British Nationals. This increase was driven by a 9% increase in the FNO remand population and a 4% increase in the sentenced FNO population. The non-criminal Foreign National population fell by 40% over the same period. The most common nationalities after British Nationals in prisons are Albanian (12% of the FNO prison population), Polish (9%), Romanian (7%), Irish (6%) and Jamaican (4%).

It is notable that the Danish government collects information on crimes committed by foreign-born nationals, allowing researchers to create rankings that show which countries have higher conviction rates compared to Danish nationals. Citizens from Japan, the US, Australia, Austria, Argentina, and India have half the conviction rates of Danes, while over 40 countries have higher rates for violent crimes. These nationalities include Kuwaitis, Tunisians, Somalis, Lebanese, Jordanians, Ugandans, Algerians, and Moroccans:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by seankafor(m): 11:36am On Jun 12
liveLongNprospa:

what nigerinas does is low tier scams like romance and pick-up, only a handful few knows sophisticated scams like EDD and wire fraud, even at that, the Nigerians in these chains of high level frauds are mostly middlemen.. the real perpetrators are some rugged whites somewhere..

The west/Asians commits industrial and organized frauds..

But shaa naija loud pass

6 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amigoss: 11:37am On Jun 12
Theflint1:
Lol, man has a wicked k-leg and it affects balance like madt.

grin grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 11:37am On Jun 12
GloriousGbola:

Maybe you can tell us if any other nationalty has engaged in armed robbery in dubai. Or took cult clashes.
Machete and sword crimes in the UK, is it Nigerians doing it? My point is the profiling Nigerians get might not necessarily be because we commit the most crimes, it might be more because we don't have enough good coming from our migrants to balance the crimes we do commit...so in a sense a Nigerian migrant is just not worth the hassle of proper/neutral diplomacy.

Nigerian government officials should know better than just repeat what could in a sense be no more than unfair stereotyping.

Nigerians commit crimes, Tinubu forfeited money to the US government because of his direct or tangential involvement to the drug trade, but I do think crimes committed by Nigerians like Tinubu is small fry in general crimes committed by migrant criminals.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 11:41am On Jun 12
BlueRayDick:

I hope he's okay, we desperately need his brain intact at this moment of time
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:43am On Jun 12
BlueRayDick:

I think we owe ourselves the truth on these matters. As recent as last week people were still caught with drugs trying to smuggle enroute Saudi for Hajj.

Just this last week a video of some girls trafficked to Ghana for prostitution circulated all over the internet . The world is not blind to these things .

We should tell our own people the honest truth in our own space so they don’t go out there and spoil show for me an u.

I agree with u that some of the official twitter handlers sometimes may be quite unprofessional in the way they communicate their messages tho

Just rewind back to what happened to Arabs and middle easterners after 911. Them go search and question you tire.

Look at the Dubai Visa Ban, Dubai didnt just wake up and ban the country, it's an accumulation of different issues and top it up with that viral cultist video. They just say enough is enough and ban the entire country. Just look at how many millions of people that has affected. The same thing is happening with India also at the moment.

What about Sychelles that was visa free for Nigerians before but our people carry our own reach there.

Some people will say it's just some few people but if people from the same country keep repeating the same offense, these people will notice a pattern and act accordingly.

No amount of international relations will help the passport if our people can denting the image of the country everywhere they go.

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 11:43am On Jun 12
Theflint1:
I mean Indians have entire storey buildings dedicated to committing cyber crimes, I don't think I've seen anything near that scale anywhere around Nigeria.
liveLongNprospa:

I think we need to stop this idea of looking for countries that have nationals committing more crime than Nigeria . Crime is not something we should be using for dick-measuring contest Haba!

For example now both of u mentioned China and India respectively. Indians and Chinese can who are nuclear powers have enough Steeze to make countries overlook the crime of their nationals abroad .

My question is what does Nigeria contribute among the comity of nations that will make them afford us such privilege ? Our skin color is against us, our continent is against us , our relevance in the League of Nations is against us; should we also be against ourselves by not telling ourselves the truth ?

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 11:44am On Jun 12
afrodoc2:

I am against the wasteful spending but spending money foolishly is not a reliable indicator of economic prosperity.

Everyone here either knows or has heard of people who are broke and rather than use the little money they have for family upkeep, they spend it on beer and olosho.
That is Nigeria’s situation.

Also, as a parent, supervisor, business owner, you will constantly find your plans thwarted

Buy in bulk at low price to stave off inflation - the family thinks wow we have so much of this and proceed to use it anyhow

Manage the resources in the lean budget for project, but your employees only see the big budget and not the projected profit at the end.

Buy fuel to be rationed a week but it is done in four days.

You can have a plan for managing cost but getting everyone else to follow through...
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 11:46am On Jun 12
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DeadPresidents: 11:46am On Jun 12
liveLongNprospa:

I disagree.

Them no dey detain Senegalese citizens like the way them dey detain us and them no hold paper reach us. Small insignificant countries GDP wise like St Lucia will still command greater respect with their passports than we do and we make enough money to buy them over 220 times

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 11:51am On Jun 12
abduleez1:

I agree with you on this. Some, if not most of these Western multinationals can't just compete in this our cut throat volatile climate.

I saw the Kimberly Clark news leaving Nigeria and saw they made investments of $100mn in their production plant and I was surprised thinking its just overestimation of their Investments, because I know they're not close to anything as a dominant market holder in the pampers/pads industry. I'm well aware of Molfix. I can very much remember over a year ago while I was learning under my boss when he and his colleagues made video promo for Huggies then and the company didn't pay them their money for over three months. I no even come remember whether dem later pay them the balance sef cos it was looking like a lost battle from my bosses them.
So, this company has been struggling for some time and not just recently. I'm not a family man or have kids so I can't say I know the prices of their products as against competitors, but for a long time I've always viewed that Huggies as a luxury brand or brand for the wealthy. I don't view them for the teeming populace of poor people that dominates the entire country. Might be an opinion from a point of ignorance.

One thing I've noticed, Asians, especially the Indians, Pakistanis, Lebanese, Chinese and the likes have cracked the code to manufacturing in Nigeria and continues to expand their footprints. A stark contrast in comparison to Western companies.

A few years ago it was the arrival of Burger King I'm which I wondered how them wan take adapt for Naija with their menus. Although, seems they were adapting well enough cos the last time I engaged with them I saw the company doing promo for their burgers for as low as around #1600-2500 IIRC.

I discovered molfix in 2016/2017. There is imported buggies and there is the huggies made by the Nigerian factory. The Nigerian buggies actually leaked. Very poor quality. Or maybe it was the Nigerian pampers. Or both of them. It was so bad that I think I bought three or four packs, opened one and then gave the rest away.

I initially looked at molfix as a cheap chinkoish diaper but I saw a lot of people using it and I strated on it.

Burger king price has risen unfortunately. Though their quality is still on point.
Quality of domino's pizza has dropped but somehow dodo pizza is still good value for money.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 11:52am On Jun 12
DeadPresidents:

I disagree.

Them no dey detain Senegalese citizens like the way them dey detain us and them no hold paper reach us. Small insignificant countries GDP wise like St Lucia will still command greater respect with their passports than we do and we make enough money to buy them over 220 times

The difference is you are talking from a place of actual experience. Not speculation. Anyone who travels will quickly be disabused of any Nigeria no 1 bs when he is taken aside
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 11:55am On Jun 12
Theflint1:
Machete and sword crimes in the UK, is it Nigerians doing it? My point is the profiling Nigerians get might not necessarily be because we commit the most crimes, it might be more because we don't have enough good coming from our migrants to balance the crimes we do commit...so in a sense a Nigerian migrant is just not worth the hassle of proper/neutral diplomacy.

Nigerian government officials should know better than just repeat what could in a sense be no more than unfair stereotyping.

Nigerians commit crimes, Tinubu forfeited money to the US government because of his direct or tangential involvement to the drug trade, but I do think crimes committed by Nigerians like Tinubu is small fry in general crimes committed by migrant criminals.

The irony is that the same gang shouting about immigration is the same gang who is on SM shouting Escobat,druggie etc

We know what we are doing

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (4815) (4816) (4817) (4818) (4819) (4820) (4821) ... (4956) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: DammyOlu123(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.