Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,921 members, 7,924,891 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 03:11 AM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1780109 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (5181) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibukzy: 6:19am On Jul 09, 2022
City Boy

5 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 6:59am On Jul 09, 2022
Ibukzy:
City Boy
Abu city ancestor grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc2: 7:17am On Jul 09, 2022
Roland17:

SAP was a poorly timed policy. The introduction of SAP was like putting the horse before the carriage. A thriving economic era would have benefited immensely from SAP.

Oil prices had dropped significantly, we were witnessing 40% inflation rates, near absence of food, population explosion and huge foreign debts that were stifling the nation and Babangida thought restricting importation, over valuing the Naira by pegging exchange rates (@ Larride, this is one of the reasons I am against the single exchange rate you suggested) would resolve some of these problem. Problem is, when you over value the naira, the foreign market will not be interested because it is not the true reflection of your economic realities.

Another problem was, while poor Nigerians were making adjustments to the suffering, Maradona and the political class were robbing the Nation of whatever that was saved. I stand to be corrected, I am not sure we have witnessed the degree of unaccounted corruption as witnessed during the Babangida regime. It was reckless, wild and a free for all. Our debt profile got worse, the naira at this point was dead, the political instability and killings meant foreign markets avoided us even more and the decline of the manufacturing sector started from here.

Here we are making the same mistakes again. We closed the borders, restricted importation of agricultural produce but that did not reduce the cost of food prices, instead we have witnessed significant jump in prices of food. Outside of oil, we are not exporting anything that generates competitive revenue, we are witnessing another population explosion and the middle class in Nigeria is nearly non-existent. The CBN and Emefiele in a bid to control the foreign exchange market and peg prices have made things even worse because the current Naira is the true reflection of the realities of Nigeria. The manufacturing sector is going under because of our energy crisis while insecurity has ensured foreign investors are moving out.

Different times, same issues, same solutions, same results. Guess the similarity between both presidents from both eras? They are both from the Military.

I am pretty certain that SAP involved REMOVING the administrative pegging of exchange rates leading to devaluation of the naira NOT imposition of restriction or overvaluing the naira.
SAP also loosened the restrictions on prices, interests rates, and imports.

I think it is the austerity measures of the Shagari and Buhari/Idiagbon regimes that you are referring to. They were the ones who restricted imports and imposed controls on interest rates and the exchange rate (artificially overvaluing the Naira).

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 7:20am On Jul 09, 2022
Removing subsidy at any time soon will only lead to greater crisis than the one witnessed after the end SARS protests turned bloody. The people are already close to breaking point.

I go out everyday and see people barely able to keep their mind due to high prices of commodities. Just this current fuel scarcity alone, u see people waiting in bus stops unable to afford ₦100 to ₦200 increment in transportation costs. They wait hours hoping for buses that will call the usual price will come around.( U just need to give them a lift and engage them for u to know what people are going through)

Imagine their are graduates who work for banks and other financial services firms as contract staff and they get paid 80k per month. People like this will pay transport fare daily, feed themselves daily, most likely have parents who sent them to school out of nothing and who now expect them to send them something at the end of the month, they have to save monthly towards their next rent payment, and other sundry expenses.....People like that are barely surviving.

How will such people that are at lesst still underemployed adjust to what will come after subsidy removal? Then the army of unemployed youths are there. I usually shake my head anytime I see people on my whatsapp status and other social media accounts celebrating passing out of NYSC and talk about Wishing themselves luck in the " Favor Market".....Favor market where some organizations are cutting down operating hours be use of diesel price, shey na that organization go come get budget to recruit fresh new graduates?

Removing subsidy might just lead to military coup cos the citizens will surely revolt and we will be close to anarchy.

The problem of subsidy has always been that the government has been unable to monitor and put checks & balances in place to ascertain who gets what. I posted a proposal of Prof. Ndubuisi Ekekwe the Nigerian-American scholar who was proposing a model he drew up to monitor the level of actual fuel we consume and to track it's delivery all across the country. Till date nobody in government has even given it a thought. I think every government just pay lip service to the fact that they wan to tame the subsidy demon but none has made any serious efforts concerning it.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 09, 2022
Amoto94:
Several fully funded PhD scholarship opportunities available at La Trobe University, Australia, Project-based. Open to both domestic & international students
Stipends: $32,500

https://www.latrobe.edu.au/research/graduate-research/fees-and-scholarships/scholarships/project
No one for msc
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amoto94(m): 7:48am On Jul 09, 2022
BlueRayDick:
Removing subsidy at any time soon will only lead to greater crisis than the one witnessed after the end SARS protests turned bloody. The people are already close to breaking point.

I go out everyday and see people barely able to keep their mind due to high prices of commodities. Just this current fuel scarcity alone, u see people waiting in bus stops unable to afford ₦100 to ₦200 increment in transportation costs. They wait hours hoping for buses that will call the usual price will come around.( U just need to give them a lift and engage them for u to know what people are going through)

Imagine their are graduates who work for banks and other financial services firms as contract staff and they get paid 80k per month. People like this will pay transport fare daily, feed themselves daily, most likely have parents who sent them to school out of nothing and who now expect them to send them something at the end of the month, they have to save monthly towards their next rent payment, and other sundry expenses.....People like that are barely surviving.

How will such people that are at lesst still underemployed adjust to what will come after subsidy removal? Then the army of unemployed youths are there. I usually shake my head anytime I see people on my whatsapp status and other social media accounts celebrating passing out of NYSC and talk about Wishing themselves luck in the " Favor Market".....Favor market where some organizations are cutting down operating hours be use of diesel price, shey na that organization go come get budget to recruit fresh new graduates?

Removing subsidy might just lead to military coup cos the citizens will surely revolt and we will be close to anarchy.

The problem of subsidy has always been that the government has been unable to monitor and put checks & balances in place to ascertain who gets what. I posted a proposal of Prof. Ndubuisi Ekekwe the Nigerian-American scholar who was proposing a model he drew up to monitor the level of actual fuel we consume and to track it's delivery all across the country. Till date nobody in government has even given it a thought. I think every government just pay lip service to the fact that they wan to tame the subsidy demon but none has made any serious efforts concerning it.
Oga there are individuals who are bigger than the figureheads (Executives) you will be surprised as to what these people will do NNPC tried to that in the gas sector it was protest from the big masquerades that thwarted their effort., they employed the services of gas trucks to deliver and monitor gas supply but they were pushed back by those men and order from above sabotaged the initiative.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 8:13am On Jul 09, 2022
chrisooblog:
other than serving as a means to provide alternative power for generators how much does petrol really contribute to farm produce transportation?

I've seen some analysis as to why foodstuff in markets cost so much and one of the main culprits was the high price of diesel. So in practical terms how will subsidy removal really cause cost of leaving to spiral when it doesn't factor much in transportation of agricultural produce?

It is not only farm produce that needs transportation. Humans too.

The 100 naira keke you enter was calculated with an operating cost of #200/liter of petrol.

Wait till it turns maybe 400, and see if you'll still enter it at 100.

Infact, it is the subsidy on petrol that's hiding the effects of diesel. If they remove that, then wahala don start
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Griffon: 10:47am On Jul 09, 2022
President Buhari APC government is making Tinubu campaign more difficult grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 10:56am On Jul 09, 2022
BlueRayDick:

I actually think people graduating now are quite lucky. Organizations will be forced to employ with the the way people are resigning these days.

First bank for instance has lost a lot of their IT staff that they had to do a special salary review for them with the hope of keeping the ones still there and prevent mass resignation of the ones coming.

As of now, they are massively recruiting IT staff.

Most companies are expecting mass resignation in September when schools outside the country will resume. Its actually a good time to be a job seeker fresh from NYSC.

Someone has to fill the gap and do the job
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 11:32am On Jul 09, 2022
Omolara A.K.A. Mr. 500K illusionary bet on Tinubu winning the election, it's 24 hours and you still haven't responded.

Of course, you knew I was baiting you to disgrace yourself. I already have all the details about you I need to ruin you. I just want you to set yourself up.

24 hours and you've ran away from a deal to upload all your details as well as me doing same.

That's how you know those who live fantasies on Nairaland. #500K bet when you have no dignified source of income.

It's no surprise you root for Tinubu since you both have dodgy histories.

You signed up for hounding. You brought tbis on yourself. When you get off this, you'd learn to pick your battles next time.

Omolara? Fitting that you have a feminine name. Stûpid cûnt!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by seankafor(m): 11:43am On Jul 09, 2022
Bike man, stop me here cool

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:47am On Jul 09, 2022
Roland17:

SAP was a poorly timed policy. The introduction of SAP was like putting the horse before the carriage. A thriving economic era would have benefited immensely from SAP.

Oil prices had dropped significantly, we were witnessing 40% inflation rates, near absence of food, population explosion and huge foreign debts that were stifling the nation and Babangida thought restricting importation, over valuing the Naira by pegging exchange rates (@ Larride, this is one of the reasons I am against the single exchange rate you suggested) would resolve some of these problem. Problem is, when you over value the naira, the foreign market will not be interested because it is not the true reflection of your economic realities.

Another problem was, while poor Nigerians were making adjustments to the suffering, Maradona and the political class were robbing the Nation of whatever that was saved. I stand to be corrected, I am not sure we have witnessed the degree of unaccounted corruption as witnessed during the Babangida regime. It was reckless, wild and a free for all. Our debt profile got worse, the naira at this point was dead, the political instability and killings meant foreign markets avoided us even more and the decline of the manufacturing sector started from here.

Here we are making the same mistakes again. We closed the borders, restricted importation of agricultural produce but that did not reduce the cost of food prices, instead we have witnessed significant jump in prices of food. Outside of oil, we are not exporting anything that generates competitive revenue, we are witnessing another population explosion and the middle class in Nigeria is nearly non-existent. The CBN and Emefiele in a bid to control the foreign exchange market and peg prices have made things even worse because the current Naira is the true reflection of the realities of Nigeria. The manufacturing sector is going under because of our energy crisis while insecurity has ensured foreign investors are moving out.

Different times, same issues, same solutions, same results. Guess the similarity between both presidents from both eras? They are both from the Military.

IMF used SAP to destroyed our economy and we haven't recovered till date.

Look at all the countries that followed IMF plan when we entered recession in 2015 after the oil crash and see how poorly they are all doing.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:48am On Jul 09, 2022
Griffon:
President Buhari APC government is making Tinubu campaign more difficult grin grin grin

It's normal. Same party.

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:51am On Jul 09, 2022
DissTroy:
Omolara A.K.A. Mr. 500K illusionary bet on Tinubu winning the election, it's 24 hours and you still haven't responded.

Of course, you knew I was baiting you to disgrace yourself. I already have all the details about you I need to ruin you. I just want you to set yourself up.

24 hours and you've ran away from a deal to upload all your details as well as me doing same.

That's how you know those who live fantasies on Nairaland. #500K bet when you have no dignified source of income.

It's no surprise you root for Tinubu since you both have dodgy histories.

You signed up for hounding. You brought tbis on yourself. When you get off this, you'd learn to pick your battles next time.

Omolara? Fitting that you have a feminine name. Stûpid cûnt!

Lmao. Omolara ko, omodehinde ni. Deluded clown.

Dont worry, keep running around when nobody is chasing you, that thing you are looking for, you will find it.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 12:00pm On Jul 09, 2022
larride:

Lmao. Omolara ko, omodehinde ni. Deluded clown.

Dont worry, keep running around when nobody is chasing you, that thing you are looking for, you will find it.

Omolara, good. Hubris is something to count on to bait a fool to his own demise, virtual or physical.

It's a Saturday morning. The #500k bet is still on, right? I'm good. #500k or #500k equivalent. This is where unbridled bragging gets you - into a corner.

First, you have to upload your details:

Full names;

Social media names and handles;

Sociopolitical influence or engagements (with proof, hard evidence).

Of course, that goes for me too.

You do this, then the bet is on. I gave you 24 hours to decide. See, I can be nice.

There's no roping yourself out. The illusionary maturity card won't count here. Let's do this and give these guys an epic show. Let those you've insulted over the years see us for who we really are off Nairaland.

I'm deliberately not going ballistic on you so you don't make this about insults. Don't run. smiley

5 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by seankafor(m): 12:12pm On Jul 09, 2022
DissTroy:

Omolara, good. Hubris is something to count on to bait a fool to his own demise, virtual or physical.

It's a Saturday morning. The #500k bet is still on, right? I'm good. #500k or #500k equivalent. This is where unbridled bragging gets you - into a corner.

Full names;

You do this, then the bet is on. I gave you 24 hours to decide. See, I can be nice.

There's no roping yourself out. The illusionary maturity card won't count here. Let's do this and give these guys an epic show. Let those you've insulted over the years see us for who we really are off Nairaland.

I'm deliberately not going ballistic on you so you don't make this about insults. Don't run. smiley
but bro, there is a reason this is called a faceless forum.. so that folks here can maintain certain fraction of anonymity even thoor we aren't 100% anonymous..

coming to your bet, there are many reputable monikers here who are willing to act as onbudsman to this betting if both of you are serious about it

All you 2 have to do is lay the terms and conditions, transfer the said amount to the reffere and wait for results..

It's not that hard to do

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 12:44pm On Jul 09, 2022
izzou:
If Sanwo-Olu won't unban Okada in his next tenure, I am not voting for him angry

Infact, that should be his only plan for 2023; To unban okada.

Today trekking inside dirty water no be here angry

LASG oju kokoro made them score an own goal. All they needed was to sort gokada and we would be fine.

Okadas are out of control. So many of them don't even have license plates. That's how bad it is
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 12:52pm On Jul 09, 2022
GloriousGbola:

LASG oju kokoro made them score an own goal. All they needed was to sort gokada and we would be fine.

Okadas are out of control. So many of them don't even have license plates. That's how bad it is

I visited Ilorin few months ago, and the bike riders looked more organised than Lagos.

They had this blue uniform and were tagged. The one I entered too was very careful.

I don't even see how banning bikes can hold water in this state that the remaining 35 are looking up to actualize their hustling dreams

The best option is to manage it.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 1:00pm On Jul 09, 2022
Amoto94:

Oga there are individuals who are bigger than the figureheads (Executives) you will be surprised as to what these people will do NNPC tried to that in the gas sector it was protest from the big masquerades that thwarted their effort., they employed the services of gas trucks to deliver and monitor gas supply but they were pushed back by those men and order from above sabotaged the initiative.

I already addressed this in my post. A government not paying lip service to making the petroleum sector work will not be put off by some so called top executives sabotaging it's efforts. Such government will jail these so called saboteur instead.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 1:04pm On Jul 09, 2022
Itsrm:

I actually think people graduating now are quite lucky. Organizations will be forced to employ with the the way people are resigning these days.

First bank for instance has lost a lot of their IT staff that they had to do a special salary review for them with the hope of keeping the ones still there and prevent mass resignation of the ones coming.

As of now, they are massively recruiting IT staff.

Most companies are expecting mass resignation in September when schools resume outside the country. Its actually a good time to be a job seeker fresh from NYSC.

Someone has to fill the gap and do the job

Most companies will not recruit fresh graduates to fill job openings left by Japa crew; they go for the underemployed with years of experience and pay them lower than those leaving the job for abroad.

The best bet of a fresh graduate is a graduate trainee programme which has age restrictions, class of degree restrictions, and who submitted or cv restriction. ( I know this because me sef Don use position help person submit CV wey work for am)
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 2:24pm On Jul 09, 2022
DissTroy:

Full names;

LMAO. Continue your delusions.

Dissclown. Broke ass rat.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 2:25pm On Jul 09, 2022
seankafor:
but bro, there is a reason this is called a faceless forum.. so that folks here can maintain certain fraction of anonymity even thoor we aren't 100% anonymous..

coming to your bet, there are many reputable monikers here who are willing to act as onbudsman to this betting if both of you are serious about it

All you 2 have to do is lay the terms and conditions, transfer the said amount to the reffere and wait for results..

It's not that hard to do

He has no money to bet. He's just looking for who to be trading words with. Take dissclown serious at your own peril. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 2:47pm On Jul 09, 2022
Roland17:

I think this is the opposite of what SAP is. Sap is letting the market decide the value of the currency and allowing free trade, and abolishing subsidiea
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 2:49pm On Jul 09, 2022
Ibime:

I think this is the opposite of what SAP is. Sap is letting the market decide the value of the currency and allowing free trade, and abolishing subsidiea

YES. The same thing IMF advised Buhari during 2015 recession.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 3:01pm On Jul 09, 2022
larride:

YES. The same thing IMF advised Buhari during 2015 recession.

Which Buhari more or less did
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 3:12pm On Jul 09, 2022
Ibime:

Exactly.

The 2 previous regimes tried to tackle the fiscal crisis brought about by diminishing oil revenue by limiting imports and capital expenditure as well as pegging the exchange rate. Those so called "austerity" measures did not work as people started struggling to have access to basic things.

Babangida following IMF advice went in the opposite direction and decided to allow the market to decide the exchange rate leading to devaluation of the naira. He also created People's Banks which gave small scale industries access to affordable loans. Tai Solarin was made the Chairman to reinforce public trust in the program but the people working under him soon started swallowing the money too.

All those measures were medicine after death however. Nigeria's fate was sealed in the 70s during the oil boom. That was where the original sin was committed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by seankafor(m): 3:16pm On Jul 09, 2022
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 3:28pm On Jul 09, 2022
Ibime:

Which Buhari more or less did

He did the opposite. At least when Kemi Adeosun was still the finance minister. I can't forget that video where Kemi Adeosun says we will find solutions to our problems locally.

For one I think Buhari shouldn't have reappoint Emefiele as CBN Gov when his tenure elapsed. That man and his team are just playing tombo tombo with our monetary policy. Their inconsistent exchange rate policy has caused alot of harm to the economy. No investor will invest in an economy where the CBN keeps changing policy as they wish. Looks as if he is doing experiment.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 3:41pm On Jul 09, 2022
larride:

He did the opposite. At least when Kemi Adeosun was still the finance minister. I can't forget that video where Kemi Adeosun says we will find solutions to our problems locally.

For one I think Buhari shouldn't have reappoint Emefiele as CBN Gov when his tenure elapsed. That man and his team are just playing tombo tombo with our monetary policy. Their inconsistent exchange rate policy has caused alot of harm to the economy. No investor will invest in an economy where the CBN keeps changing policy as they wish. Looks as if he is doing experiment.

Buhari let the Naira float for the sweet juicy IMF loan, leave story

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by seankafor(m): 3:43pm On Jul 09, 2022
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 3:59pm On Jul 09, 2022
Ibime:

Buhari let the Naira float for the sweet juicy IMF loan, leave story

We didn't take any IMF loans until the Covid $3.4bn grant and Kemi Adeosun was gone before then.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Roland17(m): 5:16pm On Jul 09, 2022
Ibime:

afrodoc2:

I am pretty certain that SAP involved REMOVING the administrative pegging of exchange rates leading to devaluation of the naira NOT imposition of restriction or overvaluing the naira.
SAP also loosened the restrictions on prices, interests rates, and imports.

I think it is the austerity measures of the Shagari and Buhari/Idiagbon regimes that you are referring to. They were the ones who restricted imports and imposed controls on interest rates and the exchange rate (artificially overvaluing the Naira).

My apologies, after researching deeper, I misconstrued Shagari’s/ Buhari’s foreign currency policy for that Babangida’s SAP. But I think SAP restricted importation of agricultural produce.

Thank you both for the correction.

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (5181) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: MonsieurCoder and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.