Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,774 members, 7,938,340 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 11:34 PM

It - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / It (1178 Views)

Dredging Company Or Oil Trading - Please, Advise Me. / Please Advise Me Ican/acca And Oracle / Info About It Experts Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It by Olayemisamuel(m): 5:15pm On Jul 22, 2011
Re: It by DoubleN(m): 6:42pm On Jul 22, 2011
Olayemisamuel:

I am about to start an internship job at an international ICT training firm managed by indians who are IT guru's this firm only promised me 15,000 naira for the first 3 months then it MAY be reviewed and I am expected to teach CCNA courses because I have both CCNA and CCNP the deal is that I can do any of their training's for free which cost up to 600,000 naira I hold a B.tech in elect elect eng with a 2:1 but I cannot network 2 computer's which means my practical rating is zero there is no doubt that I will gain a lot of invaluable experience and exposure to practicals I can develop as much as my brain will allow me the location is not lagos so it's like I am being paid to transport myself and feed but truly the knowledge I'll get people are paying in the range of 400,000 naira to acquire the skills I'll have access to for free help me please what should I do as my descision must be made today mr ajanlekoko please if it were you would you accept it?,
You have CCNA and CCNP and you cannot network 2 computer systems?For Real shocked .
Well if that is the case you need some real hands on experience,which from what you are implying the Indian firm is going to offer you. My advice for you is to set yourself a target and a deadline on what you want to achieve and how long its going to take for you to get there. I will suggest you set yourself a deadline of at most 12 months in which you will need to gain all the experience available to you. It's not going to be easy but you sound like a guy who knows what he wants for himself. A salary of 15,000 every 3 months is slavery and we all know that but just see the period as a learning process. By the way make sure you brush up your CV and apply for jobs while the process is going on.
Wish you all the best.
Re: It by Olayemisamuel(m): 7:49pm On Jul 22, 2011
Re: It by yamakuza: 1:02pm On Jul 23, 2011
Na wa o! How far with the masters? When and where is it coming up, and how will this job aid or disturb it?

With regard to networking practicals, given your intelligence, its something you can learn in a day if you learn from the right source and you have photographic memory.

So, if thats why u want to slave to Indians, think twice.

Your lack of experience might make you unpopular at your new job, so u have to make up for that by overloading with information, while seizing every chance to make up for your deficiencies.

I suggest you stock up on some videos before leaving lagos, or invest in a weekend practical session with jidaw or kittechnologies to boost your confidence. The rest, you can learn and cement on the job.

The most important thing is how you will survive on 15k monthly outside lagos. Can you? What state is it?

Believe in yourself and keep your eyes open for outside opportunities, so u can flog them wella.

Lolz.
Re: It by pluto04(m): 4:42pm On Jul 23, 2011
The offer sounds like slavery unless you have been given assurance that you'll be allowed to start the 'promised' training from day one. Watch out for employment contracts that specifies that you can't start the promised training until you have 'served' for a specific number of months or your certificate will be withheld until you complete a specified number of years.

I'll advise you to go for it if you don't have a better option at the moment. After-all people with your training and education still spend money in these schools as full-time student after University education before full-time employment. Just take it like you're still undergoing training and have not started earning provided the restrictions I mentioned in the first paragraph do not apply. You do need a solid plan about what training you want to undertake and whether it will be a worthwhile investment. In addition you can't spend more than one year in such an establishment without cashing out on your enhanced skills or renegotiating your remuneration.

I had two friends who had something similar in two different very popular IT training companies. Both started out with Oracle OCP. During their training years, both added Oracle Developer qualification and one also added Java Developer while the other added Microsoft ASP development. By the time both joined the industry; 1yr and 11/2yr respectively later, they got roles more senior to their mates who started out from day one. Both are in Telecoms now doing very well and still maintaining their edge. I'm not saying you'll end up like them or end up in similar path. But you stand a good chance if you have similar drive and able to acquire advanced skills.
Re: It by yamakuza: 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2011
makes small sense if this offer was in lagos where the op might have free food and accomodation.

Retired parents only willing to sponsor his masters.

Surviving in a new town without friends or family, having to pay rent, xport yourself and look presentable at work on 15k monthly: sounds like nysc all over again.

Makes me wonder how he used his service year.

Miracles do happen. With Indians? Lolz.

But it will look good on his cv sha.

Those who can, do. Those who cant, teach.

Go for it!
Re: It by Olayemisamuel(m): 8:46pm On Jul 23, 2011
Re: It by Olayemisamuel(m): 8:54pm On Jul 23, 2011
Re: It by yamakuza: 9:15pm On Jul 23, 2011
U should have told us it was Ibadan since na. U can even walk to work, lolz. Lucky u!

U can still do ur masters on the side o. Many bankers in Lagos travel to UI on weekends to go and see their supervisors. You cant be busier than them na.

Once again, congrats.
Re: It by yamakuza: 10:19pm On Jul 23, 2011
When u say 6 mths, is that when you want to leave them?

That might be why some of these coys offer low pay, cos most ppl leave after getting expensive training?

You might want to sow back and dedicate 1yr or the duration of ur masters to them, since u have already bought the form. Looks better on your cv that way.

I strongly advise u pursue a UI program on the side. You can bring it into play when its time to renegotiate in 3mths time as a reason u wont be ditching them anytime soon, if they fear that.

It may backfire, but if it works, u r still looking at d 30k they pay their Lagos ppl.

Lolz.
Re: It by AjanleKoko: 10:58pm On Jul 23, 2011
OP,
Do you have another job currently? If you don't I strongly advise you take this one up sharp sharp.
Indians are not the best at paying good wages, but then, you have no experience and are not really worth anything. So take the N15k and get some experience.
Indians are very good, and they will drill you to cutting edge.
My first job, almost a decade and a half ago now, paid me less than 5k a month, but offered me the opportunity to write software professionally. I had no choice, so I took it.

You guys need to stop asking these questions on Nairaland. Stop hiding behind numerous degrees and certificates, wasting other peoples money. Go and get some experience and forget about money for now. Period
Re: It by Olayemisamuel(m): 8:52am On Jul 24, 2011
Re: It by UpDates1(m): 8:08am On Jul 25, 2011
:-x :-x
Re: It by yungreezy: 8:50pm On Jul 25, 2011
@ poster. pls if i may ask. where exactly are u working. i ask this because i hold a cisco cert but with minimal/no working or hands-on experience. Though i got a bit enthusiasm and would carry out basic practical tasks i want to be in d field actively rather than think to myself that i can do it wen i get there. I'm to leave skul in a yrs time and could start preparations , maybe get a firm similar to urs in my vicinity.
Re: It by Olayemisamuel(m): 9:15pm On Jul 25, 2011
Re: It by yungreezy: 3:21pm On Jul 26, 2011
dats really gud. opportunities like this shud be and used to full effect. ur mcitp shud a done deal by d tym ur done wiv ur 6mnths but more importantly d practical experience. goodluck with ur endeavours. cheers
Re: It by BAKAREAAT(m): 2:21pm On Aug 01, 2011
My Friend go for this ,it will pay you at the end of the day.
You are there to acquire Skills
Just dont waist your time ,Go and acquire these skill
The problem of Many Nigerians is because they dont have the relevant skills and so slavery for life .If You these it certification Very well ,you will be a consultant at the end of the Day and you will name your Price for Real PLC and Multinational corporations
Thank You ,
Great Day
Taiwo
taiwobakareaat@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Food & Beverage Company Job Vacancies / Invitation To Interview @eliezer / Exceptional Graphic Designers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.