Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,369 members, 7,900,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 08:36 PM

We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari (30925 Views)

Wole Soyinka: Nigeria On Suicide Slide, Must Decentralise Fast / TCN Confirms Collapse Of National Grid / NEC Resolves To Decentralise Nigeria Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by openmine(m): 11:23am On Jun 22, 2022
9icetoo:

How do you think certain regions will be able to generate power if it's taken away from the exclusive list?
The gas that supplies the larger percentage of our electric needs is from one region.

Think am well oo.
You obviously did not peruse my comments before replying!
Gas is not the only source of electricity....There is solar,water,windmill.coal etc
The states who do not have the resources can remain in the national grid or tap from nearby states until they can seek an alternative to provide power to their citizens but the national grid scam must be knocked off because its not feasible and economical!
Lets states with the resources or natural resource be allowed to produce their own electricity!
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 22, 2022
SIRTee15:

You don't know the meaning of subsidy. No wonder u are against it.
No company or business man sell at a loss under subsidy regime.
Govt set prices for the people not for the businessman. The company determine the price of it's product and sells at that price. The govt offset the balance to ensure people buy at govt set price- that's subsidy.
So where is the businessman selling at a loss?
Bye.

It is the offsetting of the balance that is problematic....it always is never covered sufficently by the subsidy, especially when costs rise. And when cost of production rises, so does the subsidy, so does the amount government spends on it, and so does the budget deficit, and so does the losses, and so does the loans we have to take.

That is why it makes perfect sense to remove subsides so that when the cost of producing that liter of petrol or that kwh of power rises, the company can raise its prices, and pay for the cost of production without worries. Unike our subsidy regimen, where when cost of production rises, government has to take money from other mouths to feed the subsidy mouth, and most of the time, it can't keep up with rising cost of production

(Last year we spent less than 2 trillion subsidising fuel...this year it is 5 trillion and rising. The rise is due to the rise in cost of crude oil..which impacts production costs of fuel.)

Rising costs eat more into our budget...and that means government has to take loans, or we go without essential serivices , because we have to pay for subsides. Meanwhile...there is no profit to build new power stations, expand transmission, maintain exisiting stuff, and so on. That is why we don't have any working government refineries...and that is why if we want private refineries to work here, we better let them sell at a profit...not at subsidised prices...because it would be economic suicide.

That is why subsidy is evil.

I repeat my original comment...read with understanding. It addresses what you just wrote there.

The issues facing the Nigerian power sector remains multi-faceted but in our view, top on the list is the non-cost reflective tariff. While we acknowledge that the current macroeconomic landscape may not be best suited for another hike in electricity tariffs, we note that the continued adoption of non-cost-reflective tariffs will exacerbate the anemic position of Discos, prevent the overhaul of poor transmission infrastructure, hinder private sector investments and constrain the development of the power sector. With government revenue under significant pressure, we believe government liquidity injections may prove to be insufficient in sustaining the power sector

Nairametrics article : The Nigerian power sector, still in muddy waters.

You see the problem.

If we want to pay for the subsidy we have to make more money. That comes from more taxation. Nigeria's tax to gdp is 8.1%..compared to China's tax to gdp of 22.1%

Read also this article. Solving the liquidity crunch in the Nigerian power sector. Don't quote me without googling for it and reading it. I insist. If you don't want to read it....then I can't argue with that.

Good morning.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by buckeyemedia: 11:55am On Jun 22, 2022
derecho:
Just wasting borrowed money
Almijiri what did your state Governor do with the money he borrowed?
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by BeeNG3: 11:59am On Jun 22, 2022
Hmnnn. No shame
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 22, 2022
9icetoo:

How do you think certain regions will be able to generate power if it's taken away from the exclusive list?
The gas that supplies the larger percentage of our electric needs is from one region.

Think am well oo.

That is a very flimsy excuse. Too elementary and too uncivilized. That is the more reason it should not be in the exclusive list.

Ghana bought gas from Nigeria before it started to generate power after oil discovery. It now sells power to Ivory Coast and few countries in West Africa. Many power generating companies in Europe buy Gas to power their plants.

Siemens would have been generating energy in Lagos several decades ago. Anambra & IMO with large gas reserves would have created power plants with power capacity as twice as we currently generated in Nigeria.

Cairo generates more power than Nigeria as a country generates.

Exclusive list limits aspirations and resourcefulness. It is because of Oil, NPA and Aviation that exclusive list becomes a do or die to some people.

There is nothing called unity in Nigeria or Presidency or 2023 election, all is just for the defence and control of exclusive list.

When a President swore to an Oath to uphold the Unity of Nigeria, it is just an indirect way of saying he takes an to protect the Exclusive list.

IMO & Anambra Gas deposits (Imo & Anambra Basins) have been there for century until clean energy exigencies made way for its discovery.

Olokola area, Ogun and Ondo offshore have large gas reserves in the Niger Delta Basin. Lagos, in the Dahomey Basin has huge gas deposits but there is no exigency or impetus to drive its exploration.

While government was spending Millions of Dollars searching for oil elsewhere during the military era, it took the courage of Baba Folawiyo later (Tunde Folawiyo) encouraged by Tinubu to prospect for Oil offshore, Lagos.

Exclusive list kills inspiration and does not allow for wider possibilities beyond the imagination of those tying down Nigeria to underdevelopment and we know them.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by TAYO124: 12:09pm On Jun 22, 2022
wpadmin:
Bubu the terrorist president. The plan is to Islamise Nigeria and it is happening gradually.

If you have not read Cornflakes for Jihad, take your time and digest it.

https://westafricaweekly.substack.com/p/cornflakes-for-jihad-the-boko-haram

Let us continue praying. The Angels of the Lord will come down with white horses and fight this war for us.

This link on “cornflakes for jihad” Should be read by All target Nigerians.

God is able!!! He is however nobody’s slave. If we cannot unite to confront a common enemy then we are in trouble. This arehumans like we are, the major difference between us is their dedication to a evil ‘Cause’ to cause chaos.

Help push this forward! Moderators it’s like SOS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Tundex911: 12:20pm On Jun 22, 2022
After how many years bubu

Oluwa a wa pelu e
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by DaCharis2016: 12:57pm On Jun 22, 2022
This is a whophing ₦337.7billion. Omo!
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by COMPAQ(m): 1:10pm On Jun 22, 2022
ArewaNorth:

https://dailynigerian.com/decentralise-national-grid/

Solar grids is not the type of decentralisation that we need! We need a power plant in Lagos to feed directly into IKEDC and EKEDC distribution networks.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by COMPAQ(m): 1:13pm On Jun 22, 2022
Which western country has fuel subsidy? Why has it gone up from an average of $2.5 per gallon to $6 per gallon in 6 months?

Why is it costing £100 to fill up tank of an average car in UK?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by writeprof(m): 1:31pm On Jun 22, 2022
We’ll decentralise national grid, invest $550m to boost power supply – Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari says his administration is decentralising the nation’s national grid through renewable mini-grids to address the challenges of electricity supply across the country.

The president, who revealed this in an interview he granted News, said the Federal Government had earmarked 550 million dollars to provide 20,000 Standalone Solar Systems, SHS, as well as Solar Hybrid mini-grids in over 250 locations.

In 2030
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Blackdisciple(m): 1:58pm On Jun 22, 2022
Another Avenue to steal our money...

Baba should go and siddon
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jun 22, 2022
That is a very good new President Buhari is a listening President.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by senteugene: 2:03pm On Jun 22, 2022
When?
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by SIRTee15: 2:10pm On Jun 22, 2022
subsidywise18:

It is the offsetting of the balance that is problematic....it always is never covered sufficently by the subsidy, especially when costs rise. And when cost of production rises, so does the subsidy, so does the amount government spends on it, and so does the budget deficit, and so does the losses, and so does the loans we have to take.

That is why it makes perfect sense to remove subsides so that when the cost of producing that liter of petrol or that kwh of power rises, the company can raise its prices, and pay for the cost of production without worries. Unike our subsidy regimen, where when cost of production rises, government has to take money from other mouths to feed the subsidy mouth, and most of the time, it can't keep up with rising cost of production

(Last year we spent less than 2 trillion subsidising fuel...this year it is 5 trillion and rising. The rise is due to the rise in cost of crude oil..which impacts production costs of fuel.)

Rising costs eat more into our budget...and that means government has to take loans, or we go without essential serivices , because we have to pay for subsides. Meanwhile...there is no profit to build new power stations, expand transmission, maintain exisiting stuff, and so on. That is why we don't have any working government refineries...and that is why if we want private refineries to work here, we better let them sell at a profit...not at subsidised prices...because it would be economic suicide.

That is why subsidy is evil.

I repeat my original comment...read with understanding. It addresses what you just wrote there.

The issues facing the Nigerian power sector remains multi-faceted but in our view, top on the list is the non-cost reflective tariff. While we acknowledge that the current macroeconomic landscape may not be best suited for another hike in electricity tariffs, we note that the continued adoption of non-cost-reflective tariffs will exacerbate the anemic position of Discos, prevent the overhaul of poor transmission infrastructure, hinder private sector investments and constrain the development of the power sector. With government revenue under significant pressure, we believe government liquidity injections may prove to be insufficient in sustaining the power sector

Nairametrics article : The Nigerian power sector, still in muddy waters.

You see the problem.

If we want to pay for the subsidy we have to make more money. That comes from more taxation. Nigeria's tax to gdp is 8.1%..compared to China's tax to gdp of 22.1%

Read also this article. Solving the liquidity crunch in the Nigerian power sector. Don't quote me without googling for it and reading it. I insist. If you don't want to read it....then I can't argue with that.

Good morning.

Govt is social service not profit making venture. That's why we need competent people at the helm of governance. They know how to balance the book.

The solution to Nigerian electricity problem is complete decentration of the whole system- generation, transmission, and distribution. The burden on national grid is not sustainable and will eventually collapse. No matter the tarrif or fund pumped into it.
The Nigerian exclusive list is a joke. It's the main hindrance to Nigerian economic prosperity.
I repeat, No Nigerian can afford the real cost of electricity. It's laughable to think tarrif hike will solve electricity problem.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Lacash: 2:22pm On Jun 22, 2022
tuoyoojo:

Peter obi is against wastage and squandering of public funds...buhari who said he would cut down cost of governance went their and did worse

We do tire to suffer

Are you proud of ur economy

Common CFA is bigger than our naira
Baba Na God hand we dey ooo, let his will be done. grin
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Bouncing2(m): 2:32pm On Jun 22, 2022
Bubu abegg nor de touch our funds again,,plz just allow the months to run by and finish your tenure.

Same money you and ya colleagues will embezzle..
Look at how Egypt is rapidly growing and turning into something else and we're here being led by old weakened men..
Abeg shift,,u don try..

Obigoal is our man!!
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by adewad13(m): 2:49pm On Jun 22, 2022
Donbabafx1:

Hahahahah, e no shock you ?

Who will pay back all these debts ?
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by dochenaj: 2:54pm On Jun 22, 2022
After 7 years we are still hearing "We will". When will we hear "we have"?

1 Like

Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by one4GOD(f): 3:07pm On Jun 22, 2022
ArewaNorth:

when? Pls leave everything and leave we will do it after you leave' don't bother yahsef' thank you
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Hakeem3(m): 3:15pm On Jun 22, 2022
ArewaNorth:

Baba wan chop him last cake before he jakpa come february nxt year. Chaii one chance change indeed!
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Autobot05: 4:34pm On Jun 22, 2022
ArewaNorth:

Clap for yourself sir

Jesus is the ONLY way ❤️

Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Autobot05: 4:37pm On Jun 22, 2022
redcliff:
Useless mofo don forget say him dey comot next year. No touch any funds for that account abeg.

Comrade You no want make he cash out small For the last times ?

Jesus is the ONLY way ❤️

Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by BrendanJo(m): 4:54pm On Jun 22, 2022
You are out already, so stop making promises.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Temi2468: 6:07pm On Jun 22, 2022
tuoyoojo:

Pls get ur pvc if you haven't and vote for Peter obi

God bless you

We're on same page.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by mmauton: 6:34pm On Jun 22, 2022
at this stage, you are still saying "you will"
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Poleski: 6:53pm On Jun 22, 2022
A failed presidency.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 22, 2022
The fear of PO travel to Egypt is the beginning of wisdom,

Em sense just get network now.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Gainman: 10:30pm On Jun 22, 2022
tuoyoojo:

Chief it is my duty to campaign and vote for my candidate based on his anticidence and my conviction of his ability to better Nigeria

I am not stopping you from campaigning for urs.

By all means , carry on
will your campaign convince anyone? Leave campaign for d candidate. That is his job.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by tuoyoojo(m): 10:46pm On Jun 22, 2022
Gainman:
will your campaign convince anyone? Leave campaign for d candidate. That is his job.

Baba as I dey so, I know the number of people wen I don convince online and offline to vote obi.

Na u buy my fone or airtime to tell me how I should use it.

If you nor get wetin to talk, bros go find something do

As e dey pain you, e dey sweet me, as e dey sweet me, e dey pain u
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Nobody: 4:19am On Jun 23, 2022
bukatyne:

You are still on about this?

Is this payback time or collaboration time with other regions so that Obi can enter?

I sincerely hope you guys don't ruin your chances with YOUR hands and mouth.

Ever heard 'no permanent friends or enemies in politics; only permanent interests'?

If you go about yapping about the words of an Oba in 2014, what gives others the assurance that Peter Obi is not another Buhari with a vendetta against Yorubas?

You guys should legit pray for wisdom to campaign in a way that Obi would win.

You are the second person on this thread doing this foolishness.

I think you are being foolish. it is not payback but let us let them know the folly of what they did the last time, and the folly they want to repeat this time again. I know you are not supporting Obi but Tinubu, all this passive aggressive manipulation tactics from you is long stale. my comment was not about payback or anything but rather to put things into perspective so that we don't forget the past.
Re: We Will Decentralise National Grid, Invest $550m To Boost Power Supply – Buhari by Nobody: 4:23am On Jun 23, 2022
babaolofin:

Jonathan government was the most corrupt government in the history of Africa up till May 29, 2015. The level of corruption in the second tenure of this government is so much that it might be equal to Jonathan's record.

The only difference is that Jonathan have cheap and easy money to spend while this government relies on loan.

A very dishonest and mischievous analysis. This government makes Jonathan's government look like saints when it comes to stealing the stealing in the two terms of Bubu's government is unmatched in the history of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Buhari May Sack Emefiele ‘Any Moment From Now’ - Ripples / 17 States To Benefit From Fed Govt’s $29.9b Loan (see The List) / Five Executive Orders Issued By The Buhari Administration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.