Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,657 members, 7,878,921 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 09:37 AM

Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? (47883 Views)

Is This Pure Act Of Slavery Or Real Job Vacancy? (Picture) / Slavery In Our Labour Market / Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Festy4u(m): 7:12pm On Jul 02, 2022
pasuma:
I doubt if it will hold if your appointment was terminated and not that you resigned

Yeah, but if the reason for your termination is genuinely your own negligence to duty or company's policy then the pact will still stand.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Badgers14: 7:12pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
Had job offer... But there's a part of contract that's making me so scared. It says employee should not join any other company doing similar things or selling similar products for the period of one year, after terminating his/her appointment. Is this not a modern form of slavery?

In IT- silicon valley. This is almost like a norm.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Neddyogu(m): 7:25pm On Jul 02, 2022
If they owe u salary for say three months or more, and when they decide to pay, they pay u piecemeal, or they start giving u tasks outside ur JD, u cannot complain or leave since they gat u by the balls.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by grandstar(m): 7:28pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
Had job offer... But there's a part of contract that's making me so scared. It says employee should not join any other company doing similar things or selling similar products for the period of one year, after terminating his/her appointment. Is this not a modern form of slavery?

I onced signed an agreement with an American loan broker that I would not operate a loan brokerage practice within New York City with about a 50km radius around it for 5 years. Note, we were arranging a huge loan for a estate development in Lekki.

Though that was a business relationship, many have request such protection lest you compete with them due to the unfair advantage you now have by working with them.

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by seyimailbox: 7:35pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
[/b]

I believed there's a unit called recovery unit that help with the loan recovery. Or is it the staff that will go after defaulters?
j
It depends on how the institution is structured but for most of them, you are the one to search for customers, do the KYC and then when they default you go after them since you are the one that recommended them to the company and you claimed you know where they live through the KYC you conducted.

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by edosignature(m): 7:49pm On Jul 02, 2022
It's a normal practice in civilized country.

Some company in Nigeria send you abroad for training but you must enter an agreement (bond) with them not to resign for at least 3-4 years.

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by faceland: 7:50pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

If you are terminated, would you honor that agreement or eat? Just don't mess with their competitors, agree and earn your money.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by kasim155: 7:54pm On Jul 02, 2022
egoldman:

Are u alright?

Don't mind the idiot with that stupid pic he posted. He is a beast in human form
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Wpp1: 7:59pm On Jul 02, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by 79733139(m): 8:03pm On Jul 02, 2022
This would go back and forth because you clearly don't know about law of contract. If I sign a contract to help you beat up someone, the contract is null and void because we have existing laws against assault and battery. If I sign a contract that I cannot work for another similar company after leaving my present one, the contract is null and void because there are existing labours that protect me from such acts. It does not matter whether I was forced or not.

Bottom line: NOT all contracts are admissible in court!

If you don't understand what I wrote, just let it be that we agree to disagree because it requires a general understanding of contract and labour laws.

GboyegaD:

What is the illegality in this case? It is a contract that is binding if you choose to append your signature on it. It is stated in the offer letter and it is part of the terms and conditions. Whoever signs it isn't forced and neither is it signed under duress. It is time we take responsibility for our lives and actions and stop being unnecessary cunning in the name of being smart.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 02, 2022
they r afraid u will sell their idea to third party
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Advancedman(m): 8:17pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
So if them sack you they will still sack your freewill and liberty join, for bringing such here you should be flog.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by GboyegaD(m): 8:23pm On Jul 02, 2022
79733139:
This would go back and forth because you clearly don't know about law of contract. If I sign a contract to help you beat up someone, the contract is null and void because we have existing laws against assault and battery. If I sign a contract that I cannot work for another similar company after leaving my present one, the contract is null and void because there are existing labours that protect me from such acts. It does not matter whether I was forced or not.

If you don't understand what I wrote, just let it be that we agree to disagree because it requires a general understanding of contract and labour laws.

Let me let this rest since it is obvious you just want to fault the non compete clause.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by brain54(m): 8:25pm On Jul 02, 2022
Be careful what you sign…
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Sheggy13(m): 8:43pm On Jul 02, 2022
Stanislause94:
Can this be true?
If true let we the yorubas support an Igbo man for president of the federal republic of Nigeria come 2023. God bless ndigbo for turning Lagos to a beautiful city.
Most of you are just fools. You create enemies for yourselves unnecessarily thinking you're compaigning for Peter Obi. What are you implying with the stupid infographics you attached to your post? Why don't you show the "mansions" of the Igbo traffic gala and soft drink hawkers,and osanyas in Lagos markets.. Idiot.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Fuckyoumod: 8:48pm On Jul 02, 2022
seyimailbox:

Neither is it against the Nigeria Labor Laws. By signing the document, it becomes binding on you. It is an agreement.
are you aware of illegal agreements? It could look binding to you, but before the law its simply exploitation.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Bluntemperor: 8:53pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

No,it's not!
Multinational Companies do put such a clause to protect their ends,as they are aware such caliber of staff will know their secret and get immediate employment with their competitors!
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Connected1: 11:29pm On Jul 02, 2022
It simply means If we fire you, you resign or retire from Coca Cola Plc, then you have to wait for a year before working for Pepsi Plc or Bigi Plc.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by mystery22: 11:29pm On Jul 02, 2022
Stanislause94:
Can this be true?
If true let we the yorubas support an Igbo man for president of the federal republic of Nigeria come 2023. God bless ndigbo for turning Lagos to a beautiful city.
what kind of nonsense propaganda are you playing,this Tinubu boy
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by DaddyGngeess(m): 12:37am On Jul 03, 2022
Spray:

Is just threat and to scare you, they can't do no jack shit
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by abdulwassi(m): 3:53am On Jul 03, 2022
Richardlove:
. Which state are you in in Nigeria?

I'm in Edo state brother Auchi to be precise. I can change location if I get a good one thou that isn't an issue. Thanks for your concern brother, I really appreciate
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Toay(m): 6:54am On Jul 03, 2022
Conditions like that are against the labour law and cannot stand.
My take (as once advised by a lawyer) is: Take up the job and move whenever/wherever you want. The employer can't enforce the clause.

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Rhozabeth(m): 8:38am On Jul 03, 2022
waice6571:

As HRM show me a particular section of the constitution of federal republic of Nigeria that will be used to nab him in the court of law...

Forget... The company wan close shop. Go and ask the guy that attempted relocating Guinness Nigeria to Ghana how dem take solve the matter.

Ode leleyi o!
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by bizhop01: 8:44am On Jul 03, 2022
The will install occupation tracker in you, even Nigeria government don't know Nigeria citizens
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by 9jaRealist: 8:52am On Jul 03, 2022
Spray:

That’s a standard non-compete clause…

Courts will usually only enforce it if deemed “reasonable”…
Accordingly, it depends on each particular factual circumstances.

>
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by 9jaRealist: 9:01am On Jul 03, 2022
79733139:

That’s INCORRECT…

Non-compete clause are NOT illegal (or by law automatically “null and void”)…
Rather, courts will determine whether the restriction is “reasonable” in terms of duration and scope.

Asking you to not immediately work for a competitor is NOT akin to asking you to commit a crime.
>
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by waice6571: 9:33am On Jul 03, 2022
Rhozabeth:

Ode leleyi o!

Just like your patriarchs...
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by SPAMBOX7: 9:34am On Jul 03, 2022
DaInferno:
no be today we dn d agree to terms and conditions still do wetin we want grin
No cap grin
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by lolu2019: 5:28pm On Jul 03, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

How the Bleep does that make Nigeria worse or better? That's a stupid contract which I will gladly break and break again because it's trying to restrict my freedom for no goddamned reason. I'm sure you download songs and books online for free, you're not any better.

If you take offense, I'm sorry for anything. All in all, the contract is slavery.
if u r going to be paid for the aftermath it is not slavery.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Spray(m): 5:42pm On Jul 03, 2022
bizhop01:
The will install occupation tracker in you, even Nigeria government don't know Nigeria citizens

Lolz. This comment really cracked me up
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by LienwaltAbel(m): 9:11pm On Jul 03, 2022
lolu2019:
if u r going to be paid for the aftermath it is not slavery.
I agree with this. You must use payment and buy my loyalty or forget it grin otherwise, who you be?

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by spice123(m): 9:25pm On Jul 03, 2022
Spray:
Name of company should be Tk E

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pls, Is This Interview Real?????? / Are NOUN Degrees Well Recognised By Major Employers? / WFP (United Nations - UN) recruitment/Interview

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.