Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,145 members, 7,943,109 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 05:59 AM

See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) (29387 Views)

The Delicious Moi Moi Am Cooking / The Delicious Egg Sauce I Cooked / Abacha Food: How To Prepare Abacha|african Salad Recipe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by Johel(m): 5:12pm On Jul 12, 2022
gloryhomemaker:
Abacha is a delicacy loved by many. There are various different ways of preparing Abacha, in this video i used 'ngu' from palm fronds as the thickener. Its a healthy alternative that allows you enjoy the Abacha without upsetting your stomach especially for those with sensitive stomach.

Abacha is also known as the African salad. You can recreate this and enjoy the richness of our African heritage.

Ingredients:

Abacha
Ngu
Smoked Mackerel fish aka Titus
Kpomo
Crayfish
Ukpaka (Ugba)
Garden eggs leaves
Garden eggs
Utazi
Onions
Tomatoes
Pepper
Ehuru seeds (peel the back or grind till smooth)
Palm oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pw6q79c2Os

Perfecto!!

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by nnamdiosu(m): 5:20pm On Jul 12, 2022
gloryhomemaker:
Antoeni the Abacha you requested for is ready! What do you say?

Please do you do delivery? I beg you

3 Likes

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by okeke6969: 5:28pm On Jul 12, 2022
See, we Igbo are getting this wrong, how can you call this African salad when south Africans, zambian even south Africans don't eat it.
The befitting name for this meal should be Igbo traditional salad period.
Yoruba people don't even prepares it.

2 Likes

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by phemmyfour: 5:29pm On Jul 12, 2022
gloryhomemaker:
Abacha is a delicacy loved by many. There are various different ways of preparing Abacha, in this video i used 'ngu' from palm fronds as the thickener. Its a healthy alternative that allows you enjoy the Abacha without upsetting your stomach especially for those with sensitive stomach.

Abacha is also known as the African salad. You can recreate this and enjoy the richness of our African heritage.

Ingredients:

Abacha
Ngu
Kpomo
Crayfish
Ukpaka (Ugba)
Garden eggs leaves
Garden eggs
Utazi
Onions
Tomatoes
Pepper
Palm oil

Ugu or Ngu

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by gloryhomemaker(f): 5:31pm On Jul 12, 2022
phemmyfour:
Ugu or Ngu

Ngu.
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by phemmyfour: 5:32pm On Jul 12, 2022
wickedJezibel:
call it Abacha and not African salad.
you must not attach English to everything.
pizza is an Italian name but it's known as pizza everywhere and not Italian cookies or whatever.
seconded
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by phemmyfour: 5:33pm On Jul 12, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

Ngu.
it doesn't exist
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by etrange: 5:33pm On Jul 12, 2022
wickedJezibel:
pizza is an Italian name but it's known as pizza everywhere and not Italian cookies or whatever.

It is so annoying. Abacha is not even a salad by definition. Even if it were, that name "African salad" is dumb and myopic. They didn't even call it "Nigerian salad" but "African salad", yet the vast majority of people in Africa don't even know what that is. How many continental dishes have "European" as part of the name? Abacha is eaten in South Eastern Nigeria. It is not African anything. It is simply Abacha. Just like many French, Italian and Spanish dishes, it does not need an English name. The native name tells its story. It'll lose its identity without it. I'm sure it was one teenager that playfully called the starchy food a salad, and instead of the adults to correct them, they happily adopted the ridiculous name cause they want to be more western than the westerners.

That said, OP that looks delicious! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by pargelenis(m): 5:34pm On Jul 12, 2022
I will gladly accept this as my last meal on this earth.
Maybe that is why it is called Abacha grin

3 Likes

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by gloryhomemaker(f): 5:35pm On Jul 12, 2022
phemmyfour:
it doesn't exist

Ngu is gotten from palm trees. Its used as thickner and softener depending on what you want to use it for.
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by gloryhomemaker(f): 5:39pm On Jul 12, 2022
etrange:
Abacha is not even a salad by definition. Even if it were, that name "African salad" is dumb and myopic. Y'all didn't even call it "Nigerian salad" but "African salad", yet the vast majority of people in Africa don't even know what that is. How many continental dishes have "European" as part of the name? Abacha is eaten in South Eastern Nigeria. It is not African anything. It is simply Abacha. Just like many French, Italian and Spanish dishes, it does not need an English name. The native native name tells its story. It'll lose its identity without it. I'm sure it was one teenager that playfully called the starchy food a salad, and instead of the adults to correct them, y'all happily adopted the ridiculous name cause you want to be more western than the westerners.

Its known as African Salad even in the market where the prepared one is being sold.

African Salad is one name I grew up knowing Abacha with. No be me name am.
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by pargelenis(m): 5:42pm On Jul 12, 2022
etrange:
It is so annoying. Abacha is not even a salad by definition. Even if it were, that name "African salad" is dumb and myopic. They didn't even call it "Nigerian salad" but "African salad", yet the vast majority of people in Africa don't even know what that is. How many continental dishes have "European" as part of the name? Abacha is eaten in South Eastern Nigeria. It is not African anything. It is simply Abacha. Just like many French, Italian and Spanish dishes, it does not need an English name. The native name tells its story. It'll lose its identity without it. I'm sure it was one teenager that playfully called the starchy food a salad, and instead of the adults to correct them, they happily adopted the ridiculous name cause they want to be more western than the westerners.

Good point … we should preserve native names.

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 12, 2022
OP you no try sha... As I see the picture I just dey lick my mouth cry

gloryhomemaker:

Ingredients:

Abacha
Ngu
Kpomo
Crayfish
Ukpaka (Ugba)
Garden eggs leaves
Garden eggs
Utazi
Onions
Tomatoes
Pepper
Palm oil

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by Hespee93: 5:43pm On Jul 12, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

Ingredients:

Abacha
Ngu
Kpomo
Crayfish
Ukpaka (Ugba)
Garden eggs leaves
Garden eggs
Utazi
Onions
Tomatoes
Pepper
Palm oil

Can you cook this for me at my residence, how much will it

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by dominique(f): 5:57pm On Jul 12, 2022
How do they slice the cassava to such thin strands? I've seen Abacha being sold by street traders and it looks nothing like what the op posted. The whole thing looked raw and stomach upsetting. Anything that involves raw tomatoes and onions is a no-no for me
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by Ulunne777(f): 6:00pm On Jul 12, 2022
This is one healthy diet that is underrated.The synergy of veggies,natural spices,a Lil carb and the mmiri ngo Is very ideal for weight loss.

Western foods got nothing on it.
@glory homemaker,jisike.You are doing well but pls edit your post to reflect only Abacha.
Englicizing our foods makes them lose their identity.
Abacha or nothing

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by Ulunne777(f): 6:02pm On Jul 12, 2022
dominique:
How do they slice the cassava to such thin strands? I've seen Abacha being sold by street traders and it looks nothing like what the op posted. The whole thing looked raw and stomach upsetting. Anything that involves raw tomatoes and onions is a no-no for me

There's a side of grater for it.Though most ppl buy it already grated,dried and bagged from villages.The dried ones can last up to 3 yrs without spoilage.
Just soak in water and in 5 mins its ready for use

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by gloryhomemaker(f): 6:08pm On Jul 12, 2022
Ulunne777:

There's a side of grater for it.Though most ppl buy it already grated,dried and bagged from villages.The dried ones can last up to 3 yrs without spoilage.
Just soak in water and in 5 mins its ready for use

Thank you so much.
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by Ulunne777(f): 6:09pm On Jul 12, 2022
phemmyfour:
Ugu or Ngu

Ngu is the ash gotten from burnt palmfrond.It is used as thickner for the sauce.It is different from Ugu which is vegetable.
Ngu is used in place of potash which is unhealthy and the reason a lot of ppl get stomach aches from eating Abacha.
It is also a food tenderizer.Foods like the beans family which take time to cook get done quickly when you add them to it

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by Nikkganc08(m): 6:14pm On Jul 12, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

Ingredients:

Abacha
Ngu
Kpomo
Crayfish
Ukpaka (Ugba)
Garden eggs leaves
Garden eggs
Utazi
Onions
Tomatoes
Pepper
Palm oil

Last time, u said u were married.

I kow have a new (and diffeeent idea).

Pls, do u have a junior sister that can cook laidis?

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by phemmyfour: 6:18pm On Jul 12, 2022
Ulunne777:

Ngu is the ash gotten from burnt palmfrond.It is used as thickner for the sauce.It is different from Ugu which is vegetable.
Ngu is used in place of potash which is unhealthy and the reason a lot of ppl get stomach aches from eating Abacha.
It is also a food tenderizer.Foods like the beans family which take time to cook get done quickly when you add them to it
Thanks, na you break it down properly for me to understand

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by Sunnypan: 6:26pm On Jul 12, 2022
JUST ADD ONE GALLON OF PALM WINE TO IT, THEN YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by gloryhomemaker(f): 6:43pm On Jul 12, 2022
Nikkganc08:

Last time, u said u were married.

I kow have a new (and diffeeent idea).

Pls, do u have a junior sister that can cook laidis?

They don marry us finish for house grin
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by gloryhomemaker(f): 6:45pm On Jul 12, 2022
Ulunne777:

You are inspirational, thank you again.
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by lasisi69(f): 6:49pm On Jul 12, 2022
IbrahimSkiba:

Your kitchen make sense? undecided
. Lol cheesy

3 Likes

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by lasisi69(f): 6:51pm On Jul 12, 2022
BenDo63:

It looks delicious.
How about you come cook this for me someday at my home and after that I shag you and empty my balls. kiss

I love ladies that can keep my belly full and my balls empty kiss kiss kiss kiss
Ode undecided

4 Likes

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by shantti(m): 6:52pm On Jul 12, 2022
wickedJezibel:

Op, take note of this.
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by IbrahimSkiba(f): 6:57pm On Jul 12, 2022
lasisi69:
. Lol cheesy

E reach to ask

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by Nikkganc08(m): 6:58pm On Jul 12, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

They don marry us finish for house grin

Mehn...

Lots of men with sharp eyes in this country.

OK, may I be coming for holidays?
I can wash plate very well (after eating)

Without eating, I can't do anything ooo

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by shantti(m): 6:59pm On Jul 12, 2022
We call this mbacha echakiri, that is, abacha without beans or fio fio or akidi.

Normally, after preparing our abacha, we mix it with beans or fio fio or akidi.

1 Like

Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by MisterKennedy(m): 7:02pm On Jul 12, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

Ingredients:

Abacha
Ngu
Kpomo
Crayfish
Ukpaka (Ugba)
Garden eggs leaves
Garden eggs
Utazi
Onions
Tomatoes
Pepper
Palm oil

Wow!!! You are a great cook ma

Which city do you live ma?
Re: See The Delicious African Salad (Abacha) I Made Today. Rate It. (Pics & Video) by gloryhomemaker(f): 7:08pm On Jul 12, 2022
nnamdiosu:

Please do you do delivery? I beg you

Am presently out of Lagos. Am sorry about that. I have a friend that can deliver if you don't mind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Make Delicious Bitter Leaf Soup With Assorted Meat (Photos,Video) / Chew That Watermelon Seed. / See Wine I Bought For ₦5000 In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.