Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,915 members, 7,883,186 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 05:26 AM

Read This Interesting Comprehension Passage - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Read This Interesting Comprehension Passage (530 Views)

Albinos Deserve Love Too. Read This Interesting Story On Okadabooks / 10 Nigerian Authors Whose Books You Must Read This Year / A Passage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Read This Interesting Comprehension Passage by marenx: 10:09pm On Jul 06, 2022
Breaking the news and asking for his mother’s consent were more difficult than Badu had imagined. He had run out of excuses for keeping his mother in the dark. “Today,” he mused, “I must let the cat out of the bag.

He gingerly knocked on his mother’s door. There was no response and so he concluded that she was asleep. As he did not wish to disturb her, Badu decided to wait till morning. But as soon as he turned to go back to his room he heard, “My son, come in. what’s the problem?” Badu entered his mother’s room. Strangely, all the well-rehearsed speeches, responses and apologies vanished. He could not utter a word. When Maame Pomaa realized that her son was not ill she relaxed and waited patiently for him to talk. Badu started by repeating the conversation they had the previous evening about the Agricultural Extension Officer’s visit. He then described Sister Afua’s engagement ceremony which both of them attended two months earlier. Maame Pomaa listened patiently. She dozed off and was woken up by Badu’s chuckle. Badu got up suddenly and told his mother that he was going back to bed. At the door, he turned, smiled and winked at his mother; she winked back. That was their usual way of saying good-bye.

Back in his room, Badu could not sleep. His mind was in turmoil. This restlessness was mutual. Maame Pomaa, after tossing in her bed for a while, decided to return her son’s visit. She tapped gently on the door. Badu jumped out of bed, dashed to the door and clutched his mother’s heads. Maame Pomaa looked at her son closely and asked him to sit down. She sat by him and said calmly, “Badu, I know you have something very important to tell me. Relax and bare your soul to me. Whatever it is, I’ m sure God will give us the strength to hear it.

“Despite his mother’s encouraging words, Badu was still tongue-tied. His main worry was how his mother would react to the news. Being the only surviving child, he had been her only companion since his father’s death. Moreover, Maame Pomaa was not particularly sociable. How would she spend her evenings? Who would help her with her chores? These were some of the unanswered questions going through Badu’s mind. He gazed intently at his mother and burst into tears. “Maame, “he sobbed, “I’ve won a scholarship to study abroad."

Source: https://www.cegastacadmy.com/2020/04/01/top-6-comprehension-past-questions-and-answers-pdf/
Re: Read This Interesting Comprehension Passage by marenx: 6:51am On Jul 07, 2022
1. My business collapsed and I know why: I didn't have a team.

My mission is to assist adults to develop literacy and intellectual skills, and I couldn't do it alone.

Instead of creating a team, since then I've been thinking to start
something else.

What will I say?

To all my customers who wanted me to continue the business but were disappointed, I sincerely apologise even though the business will soon resume.

I thank my dad alot for giving me one of his multipurpose rooms for an office.

I also thank all the entrepreneurs whose free advice on Facebook and linkedin reaches me.

I'll never forget one of those entrepreneurs, Mr. Robert Kiyosaki, whose book Rich Dad Poor Dad has been my inspiration and motivation.

I say a big thank you to all of you.

Let's keep winning.

2. If you ever read someone's story and felt inspired, read it again, focus on
words usage.

You'll figure out the following features:

1. Unfamiliar words used in a familiar way.
2. Familiar words used in an unfamiliar way, and
3. Effective use of adjectives

The writer apparently looked for the right words to tell his own story. And that's exactly what you should do.

Using common words alone never trills--it should be 70% common words and 30% uncommon words.

If you aren't a prolific reader it's difficult to know which words are
common and which words are not. You may be grilling readers with common words and cliches thinking you're impressing them.

But don't worry. Check the examples of common and uncommon words below:

common word/uncommon word

1. show/feature

Common: He showed his father on the front cover.
Uncommon: He featured his father on the front cover.

2. Disrespectful/impudent

Common: He was rather disrespectful when he spoke to the ministers.
Uncommon: He was rather impudent when he spoke to the ministers.

3. assign/delegate

Common: He assigned five members of staff to carryout the task.
Uncommon: He delegated five members of staff to carryout the task.

4. always/often and nonsense/gibberish

Common: He always speaks nonsense.
Uncommon: He often speaks gibberish.

Remember it should be 70% common words and 30% uncommon words.

Sprinkle words that paint images.

It's good to sound simple but oversimplicity bulbously offends curiosity.

The solution?

Include few words that paint images to exhilarate and thrill your readers.

These words can be nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs or phrases.

Examples

1. perch and victory

"He perched on the mountain and saw that victory is ours."

2. drown

"On the morning after my birthday party, during which I and my wife almost drowned in vodka cocktails...." (From 'Long, Last, Happy' by Barry Hannah)

3. might

"His might can hold all the oceans."

If you apply all this counsel you can find the right words to tell your own story with frills.

I got this knowledge through a deliberate attempt to perfect my writing skills.

I thank God I had the fortitude to share it with you.

I thank all those, especially https://smartblogger.com and
https://www.enchantingmarketing.com whose writing tips contribute immensely
to my success.

To The New York Times, I say a big thank you for a quote From 'Long, Last, Happy' by Barry Hannah.

Thank you all for reading.

Lets keep winning.

3. It's easier to say 'This speaker can't express himself clearly.'

There is time when you too must stand and address a certain group of people.

And someone too will look at you that grievous way.

Speaking one on one or teaching students may be easier but speaking to a group of independent people has never been easier. Even those you think are perfect have that obvious fear in their stomach.

But everyone can do it.

The first thing you should know is:

The secret doesn't lie in avoiding the fear but in persisting to deliver your message. And the more you persist to deliver your message, the more
the fear faints.

I use the following techniques to find persisting easier:

1. Appreciation

This is effective during a ceremony or award giving day. Or when I'm given
an opportunity to dutifully speak during a workshop or any event.

Example:

"I appreciate all of you present here for your support. I appreciate the
organizers of this wonderful events. This is all we need to reunite and
make the world a better place. I appreciate all parents who teach their
children discipline and respect which are the best qualities in life..."

2. Story telling

Most people believe they don't have a great story to tell but every story
is great.

To find it easier to tell and create your own story, follow these three
elements: cause=action=result. Cause can be brokeness, hunger, happiness,
anger, etc, action can be starting a job, looking for a job, helping
someone, persuading
Re: Read This Interesting Comprehension Passage by marenx: 10:11pm On Nov 30, 2022
I have so much trouble when I know I'm made to be a billionaire.

All the money I have is not up to N50,000.

My teaching profession almost killed me.

I'm not exposed to any kind of investment that I can start with less than N10,000.

My younger ones are looking up to me.

And I'm in my 30's.

Is it not too late to start from zero?

This is what I ask myself while gasping for air.

At that moment I know if I continue teaching full time in my present work place I will die before October.

Because the stress is too much to bear.

I tell myself I didn't go to school to be a slave teacher.

I didn't acquire more knowledge to settle for less.

So I say "No, it's not too late to start from zero."

I immediately change my mindset and begin to grow rich.

Now growing rich is my passion.

I thank God for giving me the fortitude to share this with you.

I sincerely thank you for your support.�

(1) (Reply)

So, They Have Been Cheating/scamming Us With Affiliate Marketing Programs!! Waoh / Sperm Donor Who Fathered 550 Children Ordered To STOP / Gmb's Word For The Day: What Is Faith?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.