Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,762 members, 7,930,620 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 11:32 PM

Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics (3616 Views)

List Of Unresolved Murder Cases In Nigeria (pics) / Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) / 2 Young Ladies Fighting in class, panties exposed, video goes viral (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Newphiligeek123: 7:56pm On Jul 10, 2022
When Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine, 27-year-old Nigerian Ottah Abraham was outraged.

He picked up his phone and tweeted: "I want to join the team." But he was some 8,700km (5,400 miles) away from the front line, in a small apartment in Nigeria's main city, Lagos.

The philosophy graduate is one of several hundred Africans, from countries like Nigeria, Kenya, Senegal, South Africa and Algeria, volunteered to take up arms in the battle against Russia, partly to escape the bleak prospects faced by many young men at home.

"We know that it's war, it's not child's play," he told said. "But being a soldier in Ukraine would be better than being here.
"I'll probably be allowed to stay if the war ends, plus I'll be a hero and fight an undeniable enemy."

Ukraine's Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said that some 20,000 volunteers from across the world had already applied to enlist. They came after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky made a global appeal for foreign fighters to "come and stand shoulder to shoulder with Ukrainians".

The government temporarily stopped its visa requirements and offered equipment and a salary to those with a valid passport and military training. There has been no official confirmation that foreign fighters will be allowed to stay in the country after the war.

Kereti Usoroh, a Nigerian living in the capital, Abuja, said his motivations for volunteering had nothing to do with financial gain or the prospect of citizenship.

"I already live a comfortable life. If I wanted to go to Europe, I'd do it through education, not war," the 29-year-old lawyer said.
"This is about beating a bully - injustice for one is injustice for all."

Sentiments to gladden the hearts of Ukrainian diplomats and days after President Zelenksy's appeal, scores of hopeful volunteers headed to the Ukrainian embassy in Abuja, with ambitions of enlisting.

But the Ukrainian embassy in Nigeria - like others in Africa - had to back-pedal as many of the continent's governments do not want their nationals to fight in Ukraine.

"Nigeria discourages the use of mercenaries anywhere in the world and will not tolerate the recruitment," Nigeria's foreign ministry wrote in a statement.

Bohdan Soltys, a Ukrainian embassy official in Nigeria, said they were not paying Africans to fight - and people would have to pay for their own flights to reach Europe.

"There's a fine line between foreign volunteers and mercenaries," he told the Afrotimes Newspaper.

Disappointment
For some, like David Osagie Adeleke from Nigeria's south-western Oyo state, this was a devastating blow. The 21-year-old, who has worked as an emergency rescue worker for the Red Cross, had been preparing to enlist as a combatant, having collected the necessary documentation, including a letter of recommendation.

"I went straight to the police station to collect my documents," he said, explaining that a clean criminal record was one of the requirements for enlisting. "I'm disappointed to hear that the embassy is now saying it won't take us Africans."

With his emails to the Ukrainian embassy now bouncing back, he is looking into alternative routes to get to the country's border.
"I've got an interview with the Polish embassy in Nigeria," he said.

Prince Nkem Nduche, who was among those at the Ukrainian embassy in Abuja, has more knowledge than most about the situation in Ukraine and is more optimistic.

He actually spent some time in Russia as a youngster, has dual citizenship and even enrolled at Russia's military academy - but was jailed for a short time, accused of being a spy after he was spotted at the American embassy.

He said he fled the country seven years ago, via Ukraine - and would happily fight against Russia, but accepts it may not be.
"I wanted to go on my own but as the Nigerian government said we can't go… I will obey them," he told Afrotimes News.

Source; https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/photos/a.119381757440035/135920365786174

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Totilopussylick(m): 8:01pm On Jul 10, 2022
Only cowards dies twice

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by NobleSeed(m): 8:03pm On Jul 10, 2022
For some, like David Osagie Adeleke
this name though grin grin
Belike him papa na benin
Him Mama na Yoruba
Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Highlandgee: 8:05pm On Jul 10, 2022
This shows you how deep of a shithole Nigeria has become. Very sad!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by dawnomike(m): 8:06pm On Jul 10, 2022
They should sit down in Naija and fight corruption instead grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by silverlinen(m): 8:14pm On Jul 10, 2022
Damnnn
Old news
Read this shit via BBC, a long time ago....bout 3-4 months back.

Buh anyways, this corntree is so screwed up.
Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Newphiligeek123: 8:18pm On Jul 10, 2022
Newphiligeek123:
When Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine, 27-year-old Nigerian Ottah Abraham was outraged.

He picked up his phone and tweeted: "I want to join the team." But he was some 8,700km (5,400 miles) away from the front line, in a small apartment in Nigeria's main city, Lagos.

The philosophy graduate is one of several hundred Africans, from countries like Nigeria, Kenya, Senegal, South Africa and Algeria, volunteered to take up arms in the battle against Russia, partly to escape the bleak prospects faced by many young men at home.

"We know that it's war, it's not child's play," he told said. "But being a soldier in Ukraine would be better than being here.
"I'll probably be allowed to stay if the war ends, plus I'll be a hero and fight an undeniable enemy."

Ukraine's Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said that some 20,000 volunteers from across the world had already applied to enlist. They came after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky made a global appeal for foreign fighters to "come and stand shoulder to shoulder with Ukrainians".

The government temporarily stopped its visa requirements and offered equipment and a salary to those with a valid passport and military training. There has been no official confirmation that foreign fighters will be allowed to stay in the country after the war.

Kereti Usoroh, a Nigerian living in the capital, Abuja, said his motivations for volunteering had nothing to do with financial gain or the prospect of citizenship.

"I already live a comfortable life. If I wanted to go to Europe, I'd do it through education, not war," the 29-year-old lawyer said.
"This is about beating a bully - injustice for one is injustice for all."

Sentiments to gladden the hearts of Ukrainian diplomats and days after President Zelenksy's appeal, scores of hopeful volunteers headed to the Ukrainian embassy in Abuja, with ambitions of enlisting.

But the Ukrainian embassy in Nigeria - like others in Africa - had to back-pedal as many of the continent's governments do not want their nationals to fight in Ukraine.

"Nigeria discourages the use of mercenaries anywhere in the world and will not tolerate the recruitment," Nigeria's foreign ministry wrote in a statement.

Bohdan Soltys, a Ukrainian embassy official in Nigeria, said they were not paying Africans to fight - and people would have to pay for their own flights to reach Europe.

"There's a fine line between foreign volunteers and mercenaries," he told the Afrotimes Newspaper.

Disappointment
For some, like David Osagie Adeleke from Nigeria's south-western Oyo state, this was a devastating blow. The 21-year-old, who has worked as an emergency rescue worker for the Red Cross, had been preparing to enlist as a combatant, having collected the necessary documentation, including a letter of recommendation.

"I went straight to the police station to collect my documents," he said, explaining that a clean criminal record was one of the requirements for enlisting. "I'm disappointed to hear that the embassy is now saying it won't take us Africans."

With his emails to the Ukrainian embassy now bouncing back, he is looking into alternative routes to get to the country's border.
"I've got an interview with the Polish embassy in Nigeria," he said.

Prince Nkem Nduche, who was among those at the Ukrainian embassy in Abuja, has more knowledge than most about the situation in Ukraine and is more optimistic.

He actually spent some time in Russia as a youngster, has dual citizenship and even enrolled at Russia's military academy - but was jailed for a short time, accused of being a spy after he was spotted at the American embassy.

He said he fled the country seven years ago, via Ukraine - and would happily fight against Russia, but accepts it may not be.
"I wanted to go on my own but as the Nigerian government said we can't go… I will obey them," he told Afrotimes News.

Source; https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/photos/a.119381757440035/135920365786174

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Softmirror: 8:18pm On Jul 10, 2022
Highlandgee:
This shows you how deep of a shithole Nigeria has become. Very sad!

IT SIMPLY SHOWS YOU A LAZY MAN'S MENTALITY. A PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO LAZY TO GROW BECAUSE THEY ARE ALWAYS THINKING TOO LOW ABOUT THEMSELVES.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by dnawah(m): 9:08pm On Jul 10, 2022
silverlinen:
Damnnn
Old news
Read this shit via BBC, a long time ago....bout 3-4 months back.

Buh anyways, this corntree is so screwed up.
chie!! They don eat the corn finish,na only the corntree remain. sad
Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by olabolaji(m): 9:10pm On Jul 10, 2022
Una dey think say war na play play let them use u as sacrifice werey grin grin

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Stargangz: 9:27pm On Jul 10, 2022
To me, a war torn Ukraine is far better than a shitty Nigeria.
Like for Ukraine, share for Nigeria.

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Thomthom(m): 9:50pm On Jul 10, 2022
NobleSeed:
Belike him papa na benin
Him Mama na Yoruba
You are right.. The Osagie is Benin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Bifwoli: 2:25am On Jul 11, 2022
Stargangz:
To me, a war torn Ukraine is far better than a shitty Nigeria.
Like for Ukraine, share for Nigeria.
You're seriously delusional .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by zaza1955: 3:36am On Jul 11, 2022
[quote author=Newphiligeek123 post=114605797][/quote]

For more crime news, visit https://gallantmilitary.org.ng/
Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Neddstark: 5:49am On Jul 11, 2022
NobleSeed:
Belike him papa na benin
Him Mama na Yoruba

All these na manufactured news.
Even US nationals fighting for Ukraine have the Ukrainian flag on their uniform. Those images are fake too.
An African soldier in Ukraine will not survive long.
Racist Ukrainians will send them to the heat of war. Russians who capture them will have no mercy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by MagicBishop: 7:26am On Jul 11, 2022
Another lame BS propaganda from the comedian Jew president .

Only daft OSU Jews will leave Nigeria to go and fight for Jewkraine.

Already over 80. IPOB dunces answered the call and so far half have been killed and the rest ran away from the. War front .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by MagicBishop: 7:30am On Jul 11, 2022
Neddstark:

All these na manufactured news.
Even US nationals fighting for Ukraine have the Ukrainian flag on their uniform. Those images are fake too.
An African soldier in Ukraine will not survive long.
Racist Ukrainians will send them to the heat of war. Russians who capture them will have no mercy.

This is the same people that gave us the Ghost of Kiev who shot down all Russian fighter Jets in the very first few days of the war. Too bad they could only use graphics and videos from a PlayStation video game so as not to compromise the hero pilot of Jewkraine .

Same bastards that lied that Russian forces where committing rapes only to retract it that they lied to get international military support.

The same liars that produced Holocaust script are at it again.

Never trust a Jew .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by SHAKABOOM: 8:49am On Jul 11, 2022
Nigerian authorities should decongest our prisons by selling them to war torn countries or giving dem opportunity to fight in the battle field for freedom.
Instead of wasting money recruiting lily liverd youth to fight hardened jihadist and UGM.Reform and train ideal prisoners that are interested.

Put thousands of prisoners to use instead of allowing dem waste away after there jail time
Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Gadafii: 12:43pm On Jul 11, 2022
At least they will not be fed agbado and corn cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by temitope27(m): 3:24pm On Jul 11, 2022
Totilopussylick:
Only cowards dies twice
they even dies many times

1 Like

Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by temitope27(m): 3:25pm On Jul 11, 2022
But I can't try it oo, me that's thinking of buying Benz very soon grin
Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Newphiligeek123: 7:44pm On Jul 11, 2022
temitope27:
But I can't try it oo, me that's thinking of buying Benz very soon grin
cheesy
Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by baretalk: 9:12am On Jul 12, 2022
Poverty speaking, it's hard to be poor, you won't see anything good.
Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 12, 2022
EASYGURU sorry I didn't link up. I copied your number but forget to save. Sorry.
Re: Nigerian War Volunteers: Fighting In Ukraine Is Better Than Living Nigeria -pics by EASYGURU(m): 10:17am On Jul 12, 2022
inspirator1:
EASYGURU sorry I didn't link up. I copied your number but forget to save. Sorry.

It's fine Brother.

(1) (Reply)

Police Arrests Woman Who Set Husband Ablaze For Refusing To Take Her Out / New Ways Facebook Hacker Are Using Now To Hack Facebook Account / ***i Enjoyed Having Sex With Him - 11 Year Old Rape Victim Confesses***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.