Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,177 members, 7,880,671 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:22 AM

I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu (821 Views)

Inauguration Of Tinubu & Shettima As President Of Nigeria, Vice (Live Update) / I Acted In Love For The Common Good- Pat Utomi / Tinubu Confirms Kashim Shettima As His Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Racoon(m): 2:23pm On Jul 20, 2022
Ahead of the unveiling of former governor of Borno State, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, as his running mate today in Abuja, the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has explained that his choice of a Northern minority vice presidential candidate is for the overall good of the country.

Tinubu said that if he was thinking of cashing in on ethnicity and the possibility of pooling large votes that goes with it, that he would have opted for a vice presidential choice from the North-West geopolitical zone which he said has the highest number of registered voters.

Similarly, the APC flagbearer said he did not pander to religious sentiment otherwise he would have picked a Christian running mate from the Christian dominated part of the country.

A statement by the Tinubu Campaign Organisation (TCO), said religion and ethnicity were “far from the calculations of the All Progressives Congress and its presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, in picking his running mate”.

TCO stressed: “Instead he picked a tested politician and technocrat from the minority Kanuri ethnic group from the North-East. “The factors at play were issues germane to confronting the multi-dimensional crisis our nation faces today, insecurity, economic problems, such as the unemployment crisis facing our youths.

“Our candidate canvassed on his track record in Lagos to win the APC primary last June. As governor between 1999 and 2007, he was able to transform a decadent state into the fourth biggest economy in Africa. He believes that his feat in Lagos can be replicated all over Nigeria.

“To assist him in realising this vision, he picked Kashim Shettima, who also established a track record of development in Borno State while he was governor for eight years, despite the Boko Haram crisis. Surely, only the deep knows how to call onto the deep. “Nigerians have a lot to gain in having the two tested leaders at the helm of affairs”.

According to the statement signed by Bayo Onanuga, Director, Media Communication, TCO, “Some Nigerians with closet motives have failed to see the opportunities and possibilities the twin candidates present to our country at this time of difficult security, economic and political developments, preferring to fan the embers of religion and ethnic divisions among their unsuspecting and vulnerable compatriots”.

He, therefore, appealed to Nigerians to “embrace the best elements of our common purpose and reject the campaign and incitement against fellow citizens.When Nigerians stand together, they have been known to achieve incredibly positive outcomes.

That is the lesson from our history. To now succumb to the base ends of identity, by further straining our already difficult ethnic and religious cleavages, is a great disservice to the country and to citizens who had no choice about their parentage, ethnicity or religion at birth.

“Either as Christians, Muslims, or traditional worshipers, as Nigerians what should be important to us today and tomorrow is our commonwealth as citizens of this great nation.

“The TCO will like to recall the statement by Asiwaju Tinubu, by way of a closing note, when he assured all Nigerians that he was not oblivious of the religious and ethnic sensitivities of the nation, and that he picked Shettima in fulfillment of the overriding interest of the country: ‘I am mindful of the energetic discourse concerning the possible religion of my running mate.

Just and noble people have talked to me about this. Some have counselled that I should select a Christian to please the Christian community. Others said I should pick a Muslim to appeal to the Muslim community. Clearly, I cannot do both’. ‘

Both sides of the debate have impressive reason and passionate arguments supporting their position. Both arguments have good reasons in support of their claims.

But the assurances I bring is that as president, I hope to govern this country towards greatness & progress, deploying the tools of modern innovation to resolve seemingly intractable problems that have dogged our country and hindered our match toward greatness.

I make this pledge on honoured promise knowing full well that some of the decision may be politically difficult. May I say this to all of you, especially those disappointed in my selection based on religious considerations. I will not and cannot ignore the religious concerns and ethnic sensitivities of our people.

I come from a background and orientation of pluralism that understands that the greatest gift contemporary Nigerian leadership needs today is sensitivity to the management of our complex diversity."
https://independent.ng/i-picked-shettima-as-running-mate-for-our-common-good-tinubu/
Lalasticlala Seun

2 Likes

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Obidient4life2: 2:23pm On Jul 20, 2022
Oga, for your common good not our common good! What good can come from a Boko Haram sponsor?

3 Likes

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by alsudan: 2:24pm On Jul 20, 2022
Christians and will do what’s good for them too in 2023.
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 20, 2022
Mr Tinubu do you include the Pandora Peter Obi miscreants cannibals, mkpurumiri addicts amaka IPOB miscreants and cannibals, baby factory criminals drug traffickers and organ harvesters that never mean well for the country, those people are irredeemable, criminals should be sent to hell

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Softmirror: 2:26pm On Jul 20, 2022
grin
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Racoon(m): 2:27pm On Jul 20, 2022
Which good have the terrorist laden and BH apologetic APC government done to this nation apart for inflicting sorrow, tears and bloodshed? So it is a man neck deep in the menace of BH that is the most suitable for a sensitive national duty of vice president? Common! You guys must be jokers!

This is simply the unveiling of a druggie and a terrorist. "The Abiola's Muslim Muslim ticket survived because of the people's resolve for democratic governance, they would have voted anyone at that time.Using that as a yardstick for comparison in present Nigeria is being oblivious of how the country has evolved ever since.

So after 8 years they will need another Muslim-Muslim ticket or northern-northern ticket to retain power? Once a party fails the begin to utilize dangerous social vices, religion and ethnicity to retain power.

The advent of this uninterrupted democracy that has returned power to the people and strengthened inclusiveness, their is no room for this obnoxious and dangerous politico-religious permutations at this time of our national life pending the disintegration of this contraption.

Tinubu will fail and get out of our political space for good.If Buhari had performed in his 8 years in power, APC won't be looking for any Muslim-Muslim ticket to win again. It's just a sign of failure. Very big failure. They must be voted out."

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by seunmsg(m): 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2022

“Our candidate canvassed on his track record in Lagos to win the APC primary last June. As governor between 1999 and 2007, he was able to transform a decadent state into the fourth biggest economy in Africa. He believes that his feat in Lagos can be replicated all over Nigeria.

This is the message they don’t want to hear. They prefer talking about irrelevant nonsense like religion and a drug case that never existed.

1 Like

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by omowolewa: 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2022
Humm
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Softmirror: 2:29pm On Jul 20, 2022
alsudan:
Christians and will do what’s good for them too in 2023.

grin

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Racoon(m): 2:31pm On Jul 20, 2022
seunmsg:
This is the message they don’t want to hear. They prefer talking about irrelevant nonsense like religion and a drug case that never existed.
Even the constitution that the APC government of Buhari has spurned with utter disdain in its disastrous years of our national life gave room or advocated for all inclusiveness and never pandering to a bias inclination in composition of govt and governance.

Meanwhile, which Lagos are you talking about oga. Same Lagos taken over by Tinubu thugs, touts and other lawless miscreants that have made it one of the most least liveable cities in the world?
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by treesun: 2:32pm On Jul 20, 2022
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 2:32pm On Jul 20, 2022
seunmsg:

Lagos didn't start in 1999,Jakande that is said to be the best Governor of Lagos was in power before Tinubu.Collects 10% Igr from Lagos and bogus pension benefits just because he was a former Governor is unacceptable to real Lagosians.His state Osun knows who he is and where their money is going,that's why he and his cousin was rejected.Such a person will not be allowed to come close to the national treasury.
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by WibusJaga: 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2022

Someone who calls himself a leader will exalt personal interests above national interests all because of a do-or-die emi lokan desperation to to be president. SMH!

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Bobloco: 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2022
“Our candidate canvassed on his track record in Lagos to win the APC primary last June. As governor between 1999 and 2007, he was able to transform a decadent state into the fourth biggest economy in Africa. He believes that his feat in Lagos can be replicated all over Nigeria."

But the facts on ground shows that Tinubu actually transform Lagos state to the second most unliveable city in the world after Damascus, the capital of war thorne Syria, pocketing over 10% of all internally generated revenue in the state, ensured that the wife became a perpetual senator, the daughter the iyaloja of all market in the State, and the son in charge of all advert placement in Lagos State
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Racoon(m): 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2022
 “The factors at play were issues germane to confronting the multi-dimensional crisis our nation faces today, insecurity, economic problems, such as the unemployment crisis facing our youths. Nigerians have a lot to gain in having the two tested leaders at the helm of affairs”.
The bastards must think every Nigeria is a fool or zombie. You can't be the solution to the same country you have destroyed.

As the APC have succeeded in putting Nigeria in its present difficult and sorry state, it have no moral bases to be contesting to continue ruling this nation. Instead it should be apologising for bastarding all facets of our national life and leave it for good.
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Honjoshy4u: 2:35pm On Jul 20, 2022
For your selfish wicked insensitive dead ambition. Thanks to God that sane Nigerians have abandoned the devilish muslim-muslim ticket.

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Moblux(m): 2:38pm On Jul 20, 2022
Wèrè olóṣèlú

1 Like

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by horchukoh(m): 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2022
For your selfish interest and not for our common good. The North won't even accept a South West - South South ticket, not to talk of a Christian Christian ticket. We can't rule out religion and ethnicity in Nigeria politics no matter how you try to downplay it. There are other competent christian candidate from the North East, if truly you're not after pulling a large number of votes picking a Northern Muslim as your running mate.
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Kestolove(m): 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2022
nigeria sai Tinubu
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by ElSudani: 2:51pm On Jul 20, 2022
Obidient4life2:
Oga, for your common good not our common good! What good can come from a Boko Haram sponsor?

Stop the nonsense! What boko haram sponsor? This man is far more articulate and intelligent than Peter Obi. You are only supporting Obi not because he is more competent, you are supporting him just because he is Ibo.

1 Like

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Maxymilliano(m): 2:56pm On Jul 20, 2022
He has made his choice, the explanation is unnecessary and unsolicited.
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Obidient4life2: 3:17pm On Jul 20, 2022
ElSudani:

Stop the nonsense! What boko haram sponsor? This man is far more articulate and intelligent than Peter Obi. You are only supporting Obi not because he is more competent, you are supporting him just because he is Ibo.

As a Bandit that you are I don't expect anything less than what you have just said! He is your patron!
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by NaijaRoyalty(m): 3:18pm On Jul 20, 2022
Mumu man
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by akwarandu(m): 3:24pm On Jul 20, 2022
It is only an insane person that will support and vote APC in 2023 elections considering the situation in the country today.
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Opolopoopolonio: 3:37pm On Jul 20, 2022
You had no choice
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by MadeInTokyo: 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2022
Mad man

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Opolopoopolonio: 3:39pm On Jul 20, 2022
akwarandu:
It is only an insane person that will support and vote APC in 2023 elections considering the situation in the country today.

NO PAIN (BUHARI), NO GAIN (TINUBU)

It has nothing to do with APC. There is nothing wrong with APC.
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Evaremedy: 3:39pm On Jul 20, 2022
Tinubu supporter are all making plans to leave the country with their families

Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by techWriter3: 5:11pm On Jul 20, 2022
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by Iceberg3: 10:08am On Jul 29, 2022
Opolopoopolonio:

NO PAIN (BUHARI), NO GAIN (TINUBU)

It has nothing to do with APC. There is nothing wrong with APC.

God is watching you.
Re: I Picked Shettima As Running Mate For Our Common Good — Tinubu by diadem10: 10:22am On Jul 29, 2022
yes

(1) (Reply)

Come See Structure In My State / ESN Vs ESN 3 blindfolded to be killed PHOTOS / Insecurity: Northern Governors Endorse State Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.