Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,120 members, 7,973,777 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 06:35 AM

What Does A Software Developer Actually Do ����? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Does A Software Developer Actually Do ����? (268 Views)

Become A Software Developer, This Ember Months / When Does A Beginner Become A Programmer, And Should Start Applying For Jobs? / How Can I Build An Android App Without Being A Software Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Does A Software Developer Actually Do ����? by EfevwiaEfemena(m): 2:55am On Jul 21, 2022
This is actually an issue cause a lot of people think software developers build application from scratch and write codes, but this is actually a misconception. But right now I will breakdown what they actually do into five things they do consistently.
1. Building a feature
2. Fixing bugs
3. Continued Research or Learning
4. Communication
5. Fixing production or Emergency issue in the system

1. � BUILDING A NEW FEATURE: A software developer is tasked to figure out all the way from the database side i.e. the tables, write relationship between tables down to the server site code. They check if there is any existing site code they need to understand and need to go the user-interface function to check if some functions are functioning properly.
NOTE: they need to do all this before putting a feature into an application. For example when Facebook introduced the video call feature. In essence it is a very intensive process.

2. �FIXING BUGS: Every application of any site is going to have bugs in one way or the other. Bugs are not straight forward. There could be a bug whereby you change a single line of code and there are some bugs Software Developers won’t even know if it is a bug, like they can’t figure out how to reliably reproduce that bug. So Software Developers have to do a lot of research like setting up the system, local environment or even production trying to figure out if this bug exist and what condition it is. So if it exist, they restructure it or rewrite it to make it more maintainable or readable and make the system more efficient.
NOTE: Bugs are errors and fixing them is part of the life of a software developer

3. �CONTINUED RESEARCH: For a Software Developer the pace of learning is just constant, New frameworks are coming out and more new things and sometimes they have to revisit old models or principles they have learnt before, so they mostly carry out this research cause they are building a feature or fixing a bug,

4. �COMMUNICATION: Software Developers are very busy individuals, they are mostly in meetings and mostly discussing with a project manager, or discussing with other developers like themselves or even helping out a junior developer or giving out views on company’s ethic.

5. �FIXING PRODUCTION ISSUES: Most people think production issue is a bug, in fact it’s not. A bug is something that can be fixed within a few days or a few weeks. But production issue is something that is affecting the system. I would have loved to call this a bug, but it is something much more complicated, I mean it can cause major problems. Either the system wide is causing an outage of some sort or it’s causing a really important user some problems and they want it to be fixed immediately.
NOTE: SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS DON’T HAVE THIS ISSUE OFTEN BUT THIS WHAT SEPARATE THEM OR MAKES THEM STAND OUT IN THE HIERACHY OF SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT AND CODING IN GENERAL.

IF YOU WERE PLANNING TO BECOME A SOFTWARE DEVELOPER, I BELIEVE YOU UNDERSTAND NOW WHAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY DO. ONE THING YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND IS THAT THEY ARE HIGHLY PAID, SO I WILL ADVISE YOU TO TAKE ACTION NOW CAUSE TIME WAITS FOR NO MAN .PLEASE DO ME A FAVOR BY LIKING MY FACEBOOK PAGE :WEBBIKON TECHNOLOGIES
I will be very grateful. Thank you!

(1) (Reply)

Game Developer Needed / Lockout-tagout Software / Asking University Students Programming Questions And Giving Them Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.