Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,350 members, 7,974,466 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 04:58 AM

Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms (577 Views)

Nigerian Student Who Joined Russian Army In Ukraine Pleads For Citizenship / Nechama Rivlin Is Dead! Israel’s First Lady Dies / Meet Clar Weah, Liberia’s First Lady Who Hails Originally From Jamaica (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Hanibbal(m): 5:02pm On Jul 21, 2022
The Ukrainian first lady, Olena Zelenska, appealed to US lawmakers on Tuesday to provide more help to her country as it struggles against a five-month-long Russian invasion she called “Russia’s Hunger Games”, saying US weapons could help assure a “joint great victory”.

“We remain completely broken when our world is destroyed by war. Tens of thousands of such worlds have been destroyed in Ukraine,” she said, through a translator, in an emotional 15-minute speech to members of the House and Senate.

The wife of the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, showed videos of children she said had been wounded or killed, including a three-year-old boy now learning to use prosthetic limbs.

“How many children like him are there in Ukraine? How many families like this may still be destroyed by war? These are Russia’s Hunger Games,” she said, in reference to a series of novels and movies in which people hunt one another.

“I am asking for weapons, weapons that would not be used to wage a war on somebody else’s land, but to protect one’s home and the right to wake up alive in that home.

“The answer is right here in Washington DC. Help us to stop this terror against Ukrainians and this will be our joint great victory in the name of life, freedom and the pursuit of happiness.”

The US has provided $8bn in security assistance to Ukraine since the war began, including $2.2bn in the last month, the Biden administration says.

Members of Congress responded warmly on Wednesday and said they were ready to authorize more.

“They’re not asking for US soldiers,” the Republican South Carolina senator Lindsey Graham said after the speech. “They are asking for US weapons. I think now’s the time to put together another aid package to go into 2023 with a supply of advanced weapons and economic assistance to stay in the fight.

Richard Blumenthal, a Democratic senator from Connecticut, said: “What we saw here was human tragedy right before our eyes, innocent people murdered. Why? Because they are Ukrainians. That’s genocide. That’s what happened in world war two. And that needs to be stopped.”

Zelenska said: “The war is not over. The terror continues, and I appeal to all of you, on behalf of those who were killed, on behalf of those people who lost their arms and legs, on behalf of those who are still alive and well and those who wait for their families to come back from the front.

“I’m asking for weapons, weapons that could not be used to wage a war on somebody else’s land, but to protect one’s home and the right to live a life in them. I’ve asked for air defense systems in order for rockets … not to kill children in their strollers, in order for rockets not to destroy children’s homes and kill entire families.”

Zelenskiy said he expected “significant results” from his wife’s meetings in Washington. She met on Tuesday at the White House with Joe Biden and the US first lady, Jill Biden.

Russia calls its action in Ukraine a “special military operation” to ensure its own security. Zelenska concluded her remarks by describing the Russian invasion as terrorism, and linking it to America’s experiences of such attacks.

“America unfortunately knows from its own experience what terrorist attacks are and has always sought to defeat terrorism,” she said.

“Help us to stop this terror against Ukrainians, and this will be our joint great victory in the name of life, freedom and the pursuit of happiness of every person, every family.

“This is what I’m asking for and what my husband is asking for, not as a presidential couple but as parents and children of their parents. Because we want every father and every mother to be able to tell their child, go to sleep peacefully, there will be no more airstrikes, no more missile strikes. Is this too much to wish for?”

Lawmakers in the room applauded as she finished her speech.

we have a small favour to ask. Tens of millions have placed their trust in the Guardian’s fearless journalism since we started publishing 200 years ago, turning to us in moments of crisis, uncertainty, solidarity and hope. More than 1.5 million supporters, from 180 countries, now power us financially – keeping us open to all, and fiercely independent.

Unlike many others, the Guardian has no shareholders and no billionaire owner. Just the determination and passion to deliver high-impact global reporting, always free from commercial or political influence. Reporting like this is vital for democracy, for fairness and to demand better from the powerful.

And we provide all this for free, for everyone to read. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of the global events shaping our world, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action. Millions can benefit from open access to quality, truthful news, regardless of their ability to pay for it.

If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/20/ukraine-first-lady-olena-zelenska-russia-weapons

Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Hanibbal(m): 5:04pm On Jul 21, 2022
Her husband keeps boasting that U.S supplied HIMARS is pounding Russian forces and rolling back their advances while the wife is pleading for more weapons comedians. Always crying for more arms.

Ukrainians are unfortunate this time.

6 Likes

Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by DaddyFabooluz(m): 6:45pm On Jul 21, 2022
Why is she begging now. When she was in za oda room with her husband why she no warn am not to provoke Putin with NATO wahala.
Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 21, 2022
Hanibbal:
Her husband keeps boasting that U.S supplied HIMARS is pounding Russian forces and rolling back their advances while the wife is pleading for more weapons comedians. Always crying for more arms.

Ukrainians are unfortunate this time.

In much As the HIMARS are working, they need more weapons.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by tamdun: 1:44pm On Jul 22, 2022
I think zelensky is working for putin, I don't just understand this madness undecided
Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 22, 2022
So the weapons she is asking for will stop (protect) children from getting hurt?

Not her asking for a ceasefire and peace but "protective" weapons!
Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Hanibbal(m): 2:54pm On Jul 22, 2022
BritishNaija:

Alright. Zelensky should even ask for sub and nukes cheesy

1 Like

Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Dvdpity: 3:21pm On Jul 23, 2022
BritishNaija:

The HIMARS ARE USELESS, THEY CAN'T EVEN DESTROY A SOVIETS MADE BRIDGE. TOTALLY USELESS �

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Dvdpity: 3:23pm On Jul 23, 2022
topcatking:
So the weapons she is asking for will stop (protect) children from getting hurt?

Not her asking for a ceasefire and peace but "protective" weapons!

I don't understand why russia allows these Ukrainian politicians to still be allowed to enjoy sleep in their houses. When they can be comfortably taken out in a missile strike.
Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 23, 2022
Dvdpity:

The HIMARS ARE USELESS, THEY CAN'T EVEN DESTROY A SOVIETS MADE BRIDGE. TOTALLY USELESS �

You are talking Nonesense, Which bridge? If you know the Damages and panicks the HIMARS have been causing Russians, You won't say the above.
Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Dvdpity: 3:39pm On Jul 23, 2022
BritishNaija:

You are talking Nonesense, Which bridge? If you know the Damages and panicks the HIMARS have been causing Russians, You won't say the above.
Mr its not causing Russia any panic. We have seen its capacity. Join lord of war and be connected with real-time information, or intelslava. It will help you.

Let me remind you that Russia has their own version of HIMARS. SO IT'S NOT NEW TO RUSSIAN SOLDIERS.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 23, 2022
Dvdpity:

Mr its not causing Russia any panic. We have seen its capacity. Join lord of war and be connected with real-time information, or intelslava. It will help you.

Let me remind you that Russia has their own version of HIMARS. SO IT'S NOT NEW TO RUSSIAN SOLDIERS.

Like i said, you don't know What HIMARS have been causing russian forces, do you know better than the Russia Ministry of defence that have asked Russia Forces to prioritize the destruction of HIMARS? Or you are just another NL trying to argue blindy?
Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Dvdpity: 10:38pm On Jul 23, 2022
BritishNaija:

Like i said, you don't know What HIMARS have been causing russian forces, do you know better than the Russia Ministry of defence that have asked Russia Forces to prioritize the destruction of HIMARS? Or you are just another NL trying to argue blindy?
I know that you ain't educated. Maybe this will add to the little in your brains. Learn from the pic.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Nobody: 12:56am On Jul 24, 2022
Dvdpity:

I know that you ain't educated. Maybe this will add to the little in your brains. Learn from the pic.

Do you have brains atall to comprehend? Are you trying to Lecture me What i know about more than you do? What is the pic got to do with the argument? You said HIMARS was Useless Which is false,and i pointed that out, Why are you posting pic? Too many Kids on this site arguing blindly.

You better face things concerning your country that won't get you confuse.
Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by seunny4lif(m): 1:52am On Jul 24, 2022
“Zelensky should fear for his personal safety within his own government” - Sullivan

1 Like

Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Kingsnairaland(m): 7:14am On Jul 24, 2022
Evil nato said we will fight till the last Ukrainian man.. Right
Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Dvdpity: 12:53pm On Jul 24, 2022
BritishNaija:

Do you have brains atall to comprehend? Are you trying to Lecture me What i know about more than you do? What is the pic got to do with the argument? You said HIMARS was Useless Which is false,and i pointed that out, Why are you posting pic? Too many Kids on this site arguing blindly.

You better face things concerning your country that won't get you confuse.
Stop being plain stupid. If HImars is doing wonders, as you are stupidly projecting, by now the bridges in khoerson should have collapsed, by now russian soldiers would have been retreating from khoerson mykolaiv Kharkov etc. But you USELESS brains wont let you think.
Stop hyping HIMARS, because Russia has one that is superior to that American trash.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Dvdpity: 12:55pm On Jul 24, 2022
seunny4lif:
“Zelensky should fear for his personal safety within his own government” - Sullivan

Ukrainian are waking up, they have now understand the setup by American and British government to liquidate the eastern Slavic people using a willing puppet zelenskys

1 Like

Re: Please Help Us Stop This Terror, Ukraine First Lady Pleads For More Arms by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 24, 2022
Dvdpity:

Stop being plain stupid. If HImars is doing wonders, as you are stupidly projecting, by now the bridges in khoerson should have collapsed, by now russian soldiers would have been retreating from khoerson mykolaiv Kharkov etc. But you USELESS brains wont let you think.
Stop hyping HIMARS, because Russia has one that is superior to that American trash.

You don't have sense, not only that you don't have sense, you don't also follow the event of the War But resort insults to try and defend your lack of knowledge and stupidy.

HIMARs Have been doiing great and have taken out Bunch of russiAn arm warehouses far behind frontines and command posts, Which Ukrainian soldiers does not have ability to hit before.

If you have sense and know What HIMARS is capable of, You should have Known that it uses two types of missiles, one with a range of 70miles( Which Ukraine was supplied) and the other with a range over 300 miles (Which US is still debating if to send or not).

Finally, you don't have sense, because if you do, you won't be making stupId of yourself here, by wanting me to believe in your self delusional words, over that of Russia Minister of defence telling Russia forces to prioritise
finding and destroying the HIMARS systems, because of the pains they have been causing russian forces.

I forget to add this too, because of the HIMARS, Russia have dedicated large amount of Missile defence systems, just to protect the bridge leading from russian Into Crimea, even though US have not granted Ukraine wish to provide them the HIMARS Missiles(MGM-140 ATACMS) that could hit such target.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-defence-minister-prioritise-destroying-ukrainian-missiles-2022-07-18/

(1) (Reply)

Troops Of Poland And Lithuania Move To Belarus Border / US Slaps New Sanctions On Iran’s Drone Program As Israel Considers Response / Roadside Drinking Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.