Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,715 members, 7,921,553 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 08:29 AM

Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. (57754 Views)

95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test / Stop Saying I'm Sorry. It Makes You Look Local, But Rather Use These Words / ‘Same’ Things That Most People Don’t Know Are Actually Different (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Templee333(m): 11:27am On Jul 29, 2022
Now can anyone tell the meaning of the following words:
flollope,globber,vollue. Found them in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxies.
7victor- the english teacher,ur attention is needed

1 Like

Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by nomenclature(m): 11:28am On Jul 29, 2022
7victor:
You probably don't know that:

1. The day after tomorrow is called Overmorrow.

2. The first cry of a new born baby is called Vagitus

3. Your little toe or finger is called Minimus

4. The dot over an "i" or a "j" is called Tittle

5. When your stomach rumbles, that's a Wamble

Below are other words which most people presumably don't know exist.
Stop pushing us deeper into a colonial language that we are trying to separate from.
Why don't you tell us what this words mean in your language as well?

1 Like

Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by colonelwealth(m): 11:28am On Jul 29, 2022
7victor:

Beautiful expose...very informative.
Thanks
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Blankstare(m): 11:28am On Jul 29, 2022
Bandit don't know all this thats why they are ruling over us. Too much western education make you soft.
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by FireUpNow(m): 11:34am On Jul 29, 2022
Reference:

Slang.
ok
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by longifilis(m): 11:45am On Jul 29, 2022
7victor:

How does this bring food on my table?
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by goldfish27(m): 11:52am On Jul 29, 2022
who know the plural of failure is buhari
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by dreu2fine(m): 12:08pm On Jul 29, 2022
7victor:

3. Your little toe or finger is called Minimus[/

4. The dot over an "i" or a "j" is called [b] Tittle

English is not my language oooooo
I never got speack urhobo finished na English
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by MDK777: 12:18pm On Jul 29, 2022
Foreign language is not our problem, go to hell. Nigeria is bleeding and you are saying trash
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Bahamas95(m): 12:25pm On Jul 29, 2022
Traveling with your babe for vacation.

Baecation.
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by ohosi4real(m): 12:29pm On Jul 29, 2022
We learned everyday
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by mbos: 12:43pm On Jul 29, 2022
samuelpeters:

We learn everyday.
I know about 1,3,4, and 5.

But it's not part of my everyday vocabulary.

Thanks for sharing.

learn what you need in life that is useful not all these words England borrowed from latin . greek and french that ends up being contaminated....English is just Like over two thousand languages on Earth , try to learn other languages very well also so that your mind, brain and psychic will not be encapsulated by your English slave masters eternally .
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by santuse: 1:31pm On Jul 29, 2022
7victor:

Educative
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by jubrilELsudan: 1:34pm On Jul 29, 2022
Me0bizy:
when you go get sense for this forum?

AFTER YOU DON GIVE ME YOUR FORBIDDEN APPLE FRUIT KUKUNASE CHOP

Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Prince001(m): 1:37pm On Jul 29, 2022
rentgyd2000s:
Having a name for so many things or phenomena; one of what makes English stronger...

Nooo, na slavery and colonisation make it stronger cos Yoruba language is richer than English all day every day!!!!!!
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Theone123: 1:38pm On Jul 29, 2022
heartleboy:
What about the line that separate the yansh undecided

cheesy grin it's called cannotbleachit
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by bagad: 2:27pm On Jul 29, 2022
How many words we wan count.
Abi na you just dey find wetin no lost up and down.
All these ones you put here self are still common ones in Area 51
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by bagad: 2:29pm On Jul 29, 2022
How many words we wan count.
Abi na you just dey find wetin no lost up and down.
All these ones you put here self are still common ones in sound Homes.
Sheybi na you dey trenches dey get time to dey arrange words wey you just come across this morning for the first time.
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by CloudResident(m): 2:47pm On Jul 29, 2022
Gadafii:
The 70 year old man of boudillon is called bat wink cheesy

.. And his followers are Batified. They are nocturnal. Always planning how to steal from the Nigerian people grin
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by NYSCPLUG01(m): 2:55pm On Jul 29, 2022
Overmorrow is an obsolete English.
Griffonage is rarely used.
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Almunjid(m): 3:00pm On Jul 29, 2022
heartleboy:
Lol. Cleavage
(by extension) Any similar separation between two body parts, such as the buttocks or toes.

1 Like

Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by bishop212(m): 3:27pm On Jul 29, 2022
The Bishop without dioscese is call Agbado Bishop
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Pootle: 3:57pm On Jul 29, 2022
babe am coming to your place over tomorrow grin
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Newborn27(f): 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2022
Harmless1b:

PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS still remains the longest word..

Mo fo oo!

Thanks for adding to my wealth of knowledge I haven't come across the word before.... but it's highly difficult to pronounce or make sentences with.

1 Like

Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by youngcity: 4:35pm On Jul 29, 2022
Overmorrow is assumed you be obsolete in English. It is better said a day after tomorrow. Just passing by
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Likinwee: 4:40pm On Jul 29, 2022
Mr English, the line at the center of the human yansh, is called what?
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by JayPeeOham: 5:21pm On Jul 29, 2022
heartleboy:

That line is actually called nyash while the other 2 halves are called buttocks, bum bum, arse and so on wink

You are welcome grin
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:55pm On Jul 29, 2022
I do. I mean i did. Abi i know
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Templee333(m): 6:14pm On Jul 29, 2022
The botanical name of a prohet who gives fake prophecies & visions is ILLTACTUS APROPHETUM, if its a woman its called ILLTACTUS APROPHETESUM. B4 i 4get,a pastor without collar is called apaestitute (with dot under the last "e")

1 Like

Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by mrkings84(m): 7:25pm On Jul 29, 2022
Channah1:
Those are other people's language you're sharing with us cos they don't sound like English words.
Which one is minimus and vagitus? Hm!

Okada is a Nigerian word for tricycle:
Do you know that 2 years ago Oxford dictionary adopted the word along side other 31 Nigerian words so now OKADA is a word in the English dictionary, still means tricycle!!

Do you want to know the other words??

As a professional SCRABBLER WE PLAY around MOST OF THOSE WORDS OP listed!
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by Soukiss(m): 7:49pm On Jul 29, 2022
worldclass68:
Lemme guess.....
Day before yesterday come be " undermorrow" cool
underyesterday grin
Re: Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. by NasLaf96(m): 7:57pm On Jul 29, 2022
Great

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Female Students Cry As Male Corper Announces His Departure From Their School / Possible Questions From JAMB 2020 Sweet Sixteen Novel / NUC Lists Universities Approved For Postgraduate Programmes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.