Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,181 members, 7,880,684 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:13 AM

LASTMA And Abuse Of Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LASTMA And Abuse Of Power (266 Views)

Ohikwe Ahmed Relocates To Cemetery Over Edward Onoja's Abuse Of Power / Sanwo-Olu Visits LASTMA, Approves 100% Salary Increment (Photos) / Senate Probe Of Kwara By-election ‘abuse Of Power’ — APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

LASTMA And Abuse Of Power by Antoeni(m): 9:13pm On Jul 28, 2022
SIR: Generally, people yearn for good governance and quality well-being. It is only expected and reasonable that government, whatever its resources, prioritize the comfort and happiness of the citizenry. Two decades have passed since the establishment of LASTMA. The organization from origo was to assist Lagosians shuttle between places with just moderate traffic. In my opinion, I do not think they have been exceptional. This, however, will not suggest that they have not contributed to the traffic ease or management in Lagos. Many travellers, today, still groan under the same perennial traffic. The causative factors are understandably multifarious and overlapping.

The birth of LASTMA was a beautiful move. In fact, the brains behind its establishment are geniuses. Unfortunately, the officers of this noble agency are the major headache. To the exclusion of a few officers, quite a number of the others are irritatingly overzealous as they go overboard in enforcement. We have read and practically seen them many a time make a wrestling at the steering with an erring motorist. Anytime an organization is birthed with an honest motive, the human element in most cases is always a tragedy.

Going further, we have seen them again and again create the very traffic logjam they were established to manage. Sometimes, their mode of enforcement beats your imagination completely. A simple case requesting a common sense approch gets commando – attention. I believe we are already full with such overbearing displays.

I do know for certain that admistrators are sometimes challenged to use discretionary powers. When the “belly’ however becomes the “god”, issues calling for discretion are shamefacedly thrown out of the window. It remains a puzzle to me that officers of the traffic management sector will not apply discretion on matters of emergency. Why would the ambulance and hearse not be held accountable for traffic violation? Emergency – nothing can be simpler than that. The story of Modino Usman, an hypertensive patient whose death was connected to this pure lack of discretion and abuse of power on the part of the LASTMA is just one of the many tearful events that have been reported

For those of us who selflessly monitor their activities, we know they can no longer shock us. We have seen enough of their subtle practice of using a third party to get their ‘pay’ in order to avoid being directly indictable, or their manipulative claims of traffic offence. Believe me, just as we got tired of the malfeasance of SARS, we are increasingly tired of their abuses. It is time they said good bye to malfeasance and overzealousness to make Lagosians proud.

https://thenationonlineng.net/lastma-and-abuse-of-power/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1659036923

Re: LASTMA And Abuse Of Power by Hezzyluv: 9:14pm On Jul 28, 2022
Most of these guyz are thugs very heartless.
They are agbado agbero's.
Re: LASTMA And Abuse Of Power by Antoeni(m): 9:17pm On Jul 28, 2022
One of Lagos Government Torture Tool to Motorists ,
Very Soon Lagosians Will Raise Up Like The Did in Endsars And Bring Their Devilish Reign to An End. It’s Loading.........

(1) (Reply)

Labour Party: The Last Hope For Nigeria's Future / Dogara Reveals High Number Of Position The Muslims Hold Compared To The Christia / Terrorism: No Need For Ultimatum, Impeach Buhari Now – HURIWA To NASS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.