Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,868 members, 7,872,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 02:06 AM

2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara (275 Views)

Ganduje: We Are Opposed To The Breakup Of Nigeria / Reno Omokri: I Am Opposed To General Buhari But Sowore Lied / El-Rufai: Northern Governors Ready To Confront Anyone Opposed To Ending Almajiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara by PremiumTech: 2:11am On Jul 30, 2022
THE BUREAU | POLITICS

Yakubu Dogara, a former House of Representatives speaker, has declared that he and Christian leaders will continue to oppose the All Progressives Congress' (APC) choice of a Muslim/Muslim ticket.

He made this statement on Friday in Abuja at the APC Christian Leaders Summit.

Mr. Dogara, an APC member, is one of several Nigerians who have objected to the ballot.

Kashim Shettima, a senator from Borno, has been named as Bola Tinubu's running mate, according to The Bureau.

Mr. Shettima, a former governor of Borno, was chosen, according to Mr. Tinubu, based on skill and experience rather than on a person's religious beliefs.

However, other APC leaders, including Mr. Dogara and former government secretary Babachir Lawal, opposed the plan. They had said that they couldn't visit their constituencies to advocate for the pair in good faith.

The event's guest speaker, Mr. Dogara, claimed that Mr. Tinubu had made a serious mistake in picking a running mate.

He described the action as an unpleasant awakening that came sooner rather than later.

The politician claimed that the Muslim/Muslim ticket is a poor choice because it fosters inequity and division, which is detrimental to the public's desires for a successful and united country.

He also criticized the APC leaders for not being able to discern between Nigeria in 1993 and Nigeria in 2022.

Read his full speech below:

SPEECH DELIVERED BY RT HON YAKUBU DOGARA, GUEST SPEAKER AT THE APC NORTHERN CHRISTIAN LEADERS SUMMIT, ABUJA 2022 ON THE THEME, “RIGHTEOUSNESS EXALTS A NATION, BUT SIN IS A REPROACH TO ANY PEOPLE”, HELD ON FRIDAY 29TH JULY, 2022 AT THE NICON LUXURY HOTEL, ABUJA

Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people. Proverbs 14:34

Protocols:

1. I consider it great honour and privilege to be invited as the Guest Speaker at this all-important August summit of eminent religious leaders and top-notch politicians from across all the States of the Federation. Permit me to start by profusely thanking all those involved in putting together this summit and all the delegates who have sacrificed time and their busy schedule in order to honour us with their presence, which we do not lightly esteem. I understand we are here to talk about our nation and how political choices may impact our faith and likely exacerbate the escalating parlous security situation and stymie our match towards an inclusive, peaceful and prosperous nation.

2. Not a few have expressed concerns about national outlook on all presidential tickets. Also, not a few worry that the debate was becoming corrosive, and of course, with this kind of spitting of bilious views into the political wind, there was bound to be lots of nerves in the air.

3. When we talk about a Muslim-Muslim ticket; God forbid that we should be understood to be objecting to Muslims or that we don’t want Asiwaju Bola Tinubu to be president. It is not about Senator Kashim Shettima either, but it is about what is right and what is wrong. It is about justice, fairness and equity. It is about Nigeria; it’s diversity and how it can be harnessed in an inclusive manner for the greater good of all of us. Be that as it may, some of us really wanted Asiwaju to be president because he has sacrificed much for our Party, the APC and for what he represents to so many people. So, our position cannot be against Muslims or Islam. That fact cannot be denied in any way.

4. But when it comes to choosing between the love and admiration I have for an individual and what is right and what I believe represents my vision for Nigeria, my choice will clearly be for the latter. After all, my rise to the position of Speaker was never going to be possible without the support of some Muslim members who believe that our diversity must be reflected in national positions for the unity, peace and advancement of our dear country. What gives me more hope about the Nigeria project is that there are many of our Muslim brothers and leaders who did not only warn the APC, but have had to call out the APC for adopting a Muslim-Muslim ticket which resulted into the Party ructions we are witnessing today.

5. In 2015, when we were called “janjeweed party”, my response was usually very simple. I could then say that, HE John Oyegun was the chairman of my party and my Vice-Presidential candidate was Pastor Yemi Osinbajo. We don’t enjoy that luxury anymore as the President, Senate President, Speaker and his deputy; Senate and House Leaders; National Chairman and the Deputy National Chairman; Presidential and the Vice-Presidential candidates are all Muslims, leaving the Christians with just the position of VP Osibanjo and Deputy Senate President Omo-Agege at that level in a Country whose population is fairly split between Muslims and Christians. Granted this scenario, can any God-fearing Muslim, Christian nay even the amoral and the atheist say this is fair, just and righteous? Does this represent the act of a just God? This is the real context of objections from the Christian community not just the Presidential ticket and the VP slot.

6. For me, it is a rude awakening and I am so happy it happened sooner than later. The very fact that they said we should not worry about a Muslim-Muslim ticket while a Muslim-Christian ticket gave them sleepless nights should make you worry the more. To worry about a Muslim-Christian ticket while counselling others not to worry about a Muslim-Muslim ticket is the very textbook definition of cognitive dissonance and an attempt at gaslighting gullible Christians. Truth must be told that anyone who is not bringing us together is consciously tearing us apart.

7. Furthermore, I do not want to speak to the argument that there is no Christian competent enough to be Vice-President because as we all know, that is hogwash. It only speaks to the need to deliberately exclude – whereas the need now is for inclusion.

8. The other funny argument in the media is the claim that without a northern Muslim on the ticket, elections cannot be won. The implications of that argument are quite unambiguous; Northern Muslims don’t vote for the South – even if the candidate is a Muslim like them – and, of course, don’t vote for Christians. However, nothing can be further from the truth. If you stretch this argument further, it may lead to questions such as, “if Muslims in the North don’t trust a southern Muslim for any reason(s), why should Christians in Nigeria trust a Muslim from the South and North?” These are the kinds of arguments I hate to engage in and which we must avoid if we hope not to injure the health of our Republic.
Source: The Bureau
Re: 2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara by Seyigoya: 2:13am On Jul 30, 2022
Point noted
Re: 2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara by Bluntguy: 2:25am On Jul 30, 2022
Come out from APC. You don't belong there. Be Obedient.
Re: 2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara by Sammysolution: 2:29am On Jul 30, 2022
I'm tired of this Muslim-muslim ticket brouhaha, if you are not comfortable with the Muslim-muslim ticket, then vote for the Muslim-christian ticket, or better still the Christian- Muslim ticket, and has a politician, you can move to other parties that satisfy your religion ego, Nigerian politicians are kukuma known for porting and re-potting.
Re: 2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara by Nobody: 2:31am On Jul 30, 2022
That cool bro, let us watch out for feb next year na, you better leave that party and decamp, nigeria really know what they want, no cheating or rigging of election this time
Re: 2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara by princepeter566: 2:32am On Jul 30, 2022
Truth be told. APC will come 3rd in this presidential election. Time for Christians to retire an 86 yrs old thief from politics and the world.
Re: 2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara by Xscape1993(m): 2:50am On Jul 30, 2022
Evil party...
Re: 2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara by MosakuAW(m): 2:52am On Jul 30, 2022
Useless formal Speaker

Some church "Speakers" are better than him, because those speakers in churches speaks better and are louder than this useless rubber stamp speaker.

Non living things is better than the Man.
Re: 2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara by royalamour(m): 3:04am On Jul 30, 2022
Nawao
Re: 2023: Why I’m Opposed To Apc’s Muslim/muslim Ticket - Hon. Dogara by Mynd44: 5:27am On Jul 30, 2022

(1)

What I notice about the YORUBAS (Yoruba for "Ife, Land of the Gods") / Quotable Quotes Of Former Speaker, Yakubu Dogara. / Sultan Laments Over The Level Of Insecurity In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.