Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,526 members, 7,968,486 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 08:13 AM

Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) (50219 Views)

Kwankwaso Knelt Down While Greeting Dangote Mother-photo / Peter Obi Says 'Oga Sir' To Sowore While Greeting Him At 52nd ICAN Conference / Caption This Photo Of Saraki While Greeting Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by BlackPantherxXx: 4:14pm On Aug 09, 2022
aribisala0:
Well no one here is looking for food on Nairaland so that ego defense does not work.
The point is in Yorubaland dobale is a sign of humility. You and your table are your personal issues

The guy you quoted and others stylishly insulting Yoruba culture are FLATIN0s, don't waste your time on them.

They are never here to learn but to insult.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 09, 2022
Prostrate kor, prostrate ni. It's all nonsense.
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Amalekki: 4:15pm On Aug 09, 2022
Nice but we should always keep in mind that culture evolves. Even Obasanjo can't tell how this particular aspect of culture started and who started it.

"Culture is a snapshot of the nuances of one group, however small or large, at a point in time. This would include all aspects of culture. The Cambridge English Dictionary defines culture to be 'the way of life, especially in general customs and beliefs, of a particular group of people at a particular time.' Due to this trait, it is very fluid and dynamic. Cultures typically experience a lot of change over time, some happen quickly and others slowly. There have been 29 different, identified ways in which cultural change can be induced, including things like innovation, growth, modernization, industry, science, and revolution."
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Dearlord(m): 4:16pm On Aug 09, 2022
Nawa for our elders oooo !
Other elders from the other countries are teaching their children how to make bombs and nuclear weapon and we are here learning how to greet. cry

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by muykem: 4:17pm On Aug 09, 2022
anonimi:

So why can’t Obasanjo respect the culture of being grateful to people who are beneficial to you, like Atiku for allowing him a second term? Is that not how Fashola is grateful and loyal to Tinubu for letting him go for a second term after serious begging
if it's Atiku that gives Obasanjo chance of second term as a sitting president then Atiku can easily put himself there without Obasanjo help.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 09, 2022
VenumX:
Na by prostrating ?

Go and see how retirees are treated...how Nizoorians discriminate with age and all.

Useless culture and tradition.

I taya oo.
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Amalekki: 4:20pm On Aug 09, 2022
Dearlord:
Nawa for our elders oooo !
Other elders from the other countries are teaching their children how to make bombs and nuclear weapon and we are here learning how to greet. cry
Exactly how I view it. I think we tend to focus more on low hanging low developmental reward aspects of life. We value greetings, age, humility over things that actually build up societies and make life easier. "Do you know my age" or "I am older than you" is more important to us than innovation.

The interesting thing is that we can still keep some of these culture but we don't need to prioritize them over more important things. We waste too much time on irrelevant things.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Eriokanmi: 4:20pm On Aug 09, 2022
PointZerom:
grin

To prostrate to greet your elders isn't a sign of humility but a respect to your culture which says you must do so.
So many men/women will prostrate to greet you and end up making love secretly with your wife or husband.
Aha. Your mind dęti eeh!
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Pandev(m): 4:21pm On Aug 09, 2022
aribisala0:

It is a sign of humility. I suggest you open a dictionary to check the meaning of the word
It is exactly that ; a sign of humility and a communication of reverence and or deference.
Making love secretly to your wife has nothing to do with humility or its lack but you speak from the wealth of your mind. If you are Yoruba you would understand that the action has superficial and deeper meanings

Smiling when you greet people is a communication of pleasantry or pleasantness it does not mean you are happy.
Long before humans developed speech we were communicating with body language and dobale is communication in Yoruba culture
does that mean that only Yorubas are humble? na question I ask o before you start threatening that you will use your ancestors juju to kill me. yeye grin
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by emmabest2000(m): 4:21pm On Aug 09, 2022
NwaMamaIwota:
everybody dey bow for elders
we do that here in Onitsha.
as onitsha person I don't shake my elders with one hand.
so respect for elders is everywhere it has nothing to do about tribe.
no dey famzy Yorubas.
hahahahaha

Nwa okwuzu bu nwa mama iwota

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Dagenius53: 4:23pm On Aug 09, 2022
So?
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Sweetvie: 4:24pm On Aug 09, 2022
NwaMamaIwota:
everybody dey bow for elders
we do that here in Onitsha.
as onitsha person I don't shake my elders with one hand.
so respect for elders is everywhere it has nothing to do about tribe.
no dey famzy Yorubas.
hahahahaha
Lol... There's diff between bow and prostration
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by NwaMamaIwota(f): 4:25pm On Aug 09, 2022
aribisala0:
Nwanem
You don ve be dat? No forget say we be ONE NIGERIA
I know Ibos show love in an aggressive way kicks and tins
shatap
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by NwaMamaIwota(f): 4:26pm On Aug 09, 2022
emmabest2000:

Nwa okwuzu bu nwa mama iwota
where's Okwuzu never heard about that angry
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by aribisala0(m): 4:27pm On Aug 09, 2022
Pandev:
does that mean that only Yorubas are humble? na question I ask o before you start threatening that you will use your ancestors juju to kill me. yeye grin
.As a pig scratches the ground with its mouth so also does the accursed one. If you pray for them in the morning before night time they will cancel it with their mouths.
They gather with their hands in the morning and before night they scatter with their mouths
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Karleb(m): 4:28pm On Aug 09, 2022
Amalekki:

Exactly how I view it. I think we tend to focus more on low hanging low developmental reward aspects of life. We value greetings, age, humility over things that actually build up societies and make life easier. "Do you know my age" or "I am older than you" is more important to us than innovation.

The interesting thing is that we can still keep some of these culture but we don't need to prioritize them over more important things. We waste too much time on irrelevant things.

You people want to copy everything American.

Go to China where they bow when greeting parents, where you call strangers who are older than you aunty and uncle but this same China is the most technological advanced country in the world.

Preservation of culture heritage does not make you less advanced or modern.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Dearlord(m): 4:29pm On Aug 09, 2022
Amalekki:

It has eaten deep in us that you can loose your job or some entitlement because of greetings

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Thomasankara(m): 4:30pm On Aug 09, 2022
aribisala0:

It is a sign of humility. I suggest you open a dictionary to check the meaning of the word
It is exactly that ; a sign of humility and a communication of reverence and or deference.
Making love secretly to your wife has nothing to do with humility or its lack but you speak from the wealth of your mind. If you are Yoruba you would understand that the action has superficial and deeper meanings

Smiling when you greet people is a communication of pleasantry or pleasantness it does not mean you are happy.
Long before humans developed speech we were communicating with body language and dobale is communication in Yoruba culture

Don't mind them that is their stock in trade,, always abusing superior culture. Na Dem just check his signature, Dem be *disobedient* folks. [color=#770077][/color]
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Pandev(m): 4:32pm On Aug 09, 2022
aribisala0:
.As a pig scratches the ground with its mouth so also does the accursed one. If you pray for them in the morning before night time they will cancel it with their mouths.
They gather with their hands in the morning and before night they scatter with their mouths
nigga dodged my question cheesy. Don't worry I understand. grin
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Morphinne: 4:32pm On Aug 09, 2022
aribisala0:
Well no one here is looking for food on Nairaland so that ego defense does not work.
The point is in Yorubaland dobale is a sign of humility. You and your table are your personal issues
Don’t mind the mischief maker. Looking for argument where there’s virtually none because I see no reason why anyone in his right senses would try to debase other people’s culture of respect for their elders. What does cheating have to do with being respectful?
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Amalekki: 4:33pm On Aug 09, 2022
Karleb:

You people want to copy everything American.

Go to China where they bow when greeting parents, where you call strangers who are older than you aunty and uncle but this same China is the most technological advanced country in the world.

Preservation of culture heritage does not make you less advanced or modern.
Where did you get that first line from?

Now, read my last paragraph again and reconcile that with the gibberish you just wrote. Here is what I wrote which is line with what you see in places like Japan, China, Singapore and even some European countries:

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Fearyourcreator: 4:33pm On Aug 09, 2022
Zonefree:
Yorubas sabi respect elders well well.

It's only in Yorubaland a conductor will be calling you Sir and still be insulting you.
E ti ya werey sir... Lolz

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Fearyourcreator: 4:36pm On Aug 09, 2022
aribisala0:

Was surprised he describes humility with not greeting but having a secret affair.. It doesn't join

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by emmabest2000(m): 4:38pm On Aug 09, 2022
NwaMamaIwota:
where's Okwuzu never heard about that angry

That means you're not from onitsha as claimed grin
Okwuzu or okuzu depends on how people called the town is a neighboring town with onitsha town

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Great0ne1: 4:38pm On Aug 09, 2022
PointZerom:
grin

To prostrate to greet your elders isn't a sign of humility but a respect to your culture which says you must do so.
So many men/women will prostrate to greet you and end up making love secretly with your wife or husband.
Comment of day
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by aribisala0(m): 4:39pm On Aug 09, 2022
Pandev:
nigga dodged my question cheesy. Don't worry I understand. grin
What is the basis of this familiarity? Do I know you ? Why are you calling me nigga? Your mouth will take you to places you do not even know exist
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by 528ibilola: 4:41pm On Aug 09, 2022
The joke is on you.The joke is on you....
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by Karleb(m): 4:44pm On Aug 09, 2022
Amalekki:

Where did you get that first line from?

Now, read my last paragraph again and reconcile that with the gibberish you just wrote. Here is what I wrote which is line with what you see in places like Japan, China, Singapore and even some European countries:

Maybe if you read the first part of your initial post, you'd understand why.

Omo! You need to work on how to make civil conversation, you are obviously lacking in that.
Re: Obasanjo Teaches His Grandson How To Properly Prostrate While Greeting (Video) by aribisala0(m): 4:45pm On Aug 09, 2022
Fearyourcreator:

Was surprised he describes humility with not greeting but having a secret affair.. It doesn't join
Yoruba so pe Ohun ti n du eni ohun ni n po l'oro re

He speaks from the riches/poverty of his mind.

A base fellow will always find base proverbs, base analogies. Inside his head it makes a lot of sense

His words should give you insight into his character

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When Will We Have This Type Of Road In Nigeria ? / Amotekun: MURIC Sends Message To Southwest Governors / Electricity Tariff Hike: See Huge Difference In 6 Months (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.