Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,501 members, 7,940,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 01:36 PM

Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria (45157 Views)

Edo Nursing Student Shares Then And Now Pictures Of Her Course Mates / Beautiful Pictures Of Babcock University Students In Styles (pics) / Scenic Pictures Of ABU Zaria Dam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by frog12: 4:23am On Aug 18, 2022
these BRITISH really mess up everything !!!

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by AlphaTaikun: 6:07am On Aug 18, 2022
TheSourcerer:
Fela Anikulapo Kuti (October 15th, 1938 - August 2nd 1997)
The legendary Fela frozen in time and space. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by AlphaTaikun: 6:18am On Aug 18, 2022
TheSourcerer:
Martiniano Eliseu do Bomfim Yoruba name was Òjélàdé, (1859-1943), was born in Bahia, Brazil. His father was a member of the Egba, one of the Yoruba sub-groups, had been brought to Brazil as a slave in 1820 and liberated there in 1842. A 16-year-old Martiniano accompanied his father, Eliseu do Bomfim, who was an import/export trader of Yoruba goods, on a trip from Salvador, Bahia to Lagos, Yorubaland in 1875 for the purpose of attending school and learning a trade. In Lagos he attended the Church Missionary Society Alápákó Fàájì School for almost 11 years. He arrived back in Salvador on January 30, 1886. During his time in Lagos Martiniano became fluent not only in English but also in Yoruba. He also acquired knowledge of Ifá, the Yoruba system of divination and became a Babalawo, as well as being trained as a bricklayer and house painter. Back in Bahia he worked as an English teacher for well to do Afro-Brazilians. Martiniano died on November 1, 1943 in Salvador, Bahia. Photo: 1937
An awesome history of the Yorubas in Bahia, Brazil. A triumph of the human spirit.

Martiniano Ojelade Bomfim.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by Dominatrix(f): 6:20am On Aug 18, 2022
I love it tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by AlphaTaikun: 6:31am On Aug 18, 2022
TheSourcerer:
Cândido da Fonseca Galvão, also known as Oba II d’Africa (1845-1890) was a Brazilian man who fought in the War of the Triple Alliance (also called the Paraguayan War) and claimed to be the grandson of an African prince whose son had been brought to Brazil as a slave. Galvão himself was born a free man in Bahia, and enlisted in the military at a time when Black slavery was still legal in what was then the Empire of Brazil.

Galvão was the grandson of the powerful African prince Alafin Abiodun, who unified the Yoruba kingdom of Oyó in the late eighteenth century. Galvão’s father fought in the wars that raged in that region of Africa in the early nineteenth century, was captured in battle, and sold into slavery. He was then transported to Bahia. With the help of friends among the Yoruba community in Salvador, Galvão’s father quickly purchased his freedom. He then married and had children. As an offspring of freedpersons, Cândido Galvão was raised as a free black man near the town of Lençóis in the interior of Bahia.

Dom Obá II considered it his duty to fight for his country in the war against Paraguay. “As the patriotic soldier that I am, I understand that I have only been doing my duty in taking an active part in all the matters that I understand to be grave.” Enlisting as a Voluntário in the all-black Zuavo company that departed from Lençóis on May 1865, Galvão remained at the front until wounded in his right hand in August 1866. After his return to Bahia, where he remained through the decade of the 1870s, Galvão petitioned government officials for recognition of his service during the war and for monetary compensation. His experience in Paraguay inspired his commitment to ending slavery in Brazil and his pride in being a black man.

Galvão settled in Rio de Janeiro in 1880, where he gained renown. The wealthy considered him a “disturbed veteran” (uma espécie de veterano resmungão) and “folkloric aberration” due to his outspokenness and appearance in attire that included a long black morning coat, tall hat, gloves, umbrella, and walking cane. An activist of the first order, Galvão met personally with the Emperor [Pedro II of Brazil] 125 at public meetings from June 1882 to December 1884! Dom Obá garnered great respect among “the Blacks and the Browns” (the terms commonly used by Galvão) residing in the city. Slaves, freedpersons, and free persons of color all provided financial support that enabled the prince to publish articles in newspapers. In his writings, Galvão praised the contributions of black and brown soldiers during the Paraguayan war, condemned the racism he witnessed in Brazil, and called for an end to slavery.
Yeah, the Brazilian-born Yoruba Prince, Candido Galvao was the grandson of Alaafin Abiodun, the Yoruba Emperor of the great Oyo Empire with the seat of power in Western Nigeria who ruled in the late 1700s.

Cc:Sukkot

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by Nobody: 6:46am On Aug 18, 2022
TheSourcerer:
Seventh Day Adventists Secondary Modern School, Ife, Nigeria (1959).

So this painting dates back to around this time. Wonderful
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by Nobody: 6:47am On Aug 18, 2022
TheSourcerer:
A freed Yoruba slave from Bahia, Brazil. 1800s

Opoopo
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by enemachris(m): 7:15am On Aug 18, 2022
Someday this day we call millennial era would be called the stone age era. So take things easy and stop fighting yourselves slowpoke. undecided
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by sukkot: 7:49am On Aug 18, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Yeah, the Brazilian-born Yoruba Prince, Candido Galvao was the grandson of Alaafin Abiodun, the
Yoruba Emperor of the great Oyo Empire with the seat of power in
Western Nigeria who ruled in the late 1700s.

Cc:Sukkot
great stuff bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by Kalaba(m): 9:02am On Aug 18, 2022
TheSourcerer:
Traffic in the streets of Lagos, 1982
Sir, I need the source for this particular information/image.
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by Aidejay(m): 9:21am On Aug 18, 2022
Reallife17:
what’s intelligence by your standard if I may ask?
I don't have a standard for intelligence. I'm just pointing out that it's easy to mistake being loud, different or eccentric for intelligence or "genius" in hindsight, there are different types of intelligence.

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by Bamijoko1(m): 9:29am On Aug 18, 2022
TheSourcerer:
Seventh Day Adventists Secondary Modern School, Ife, Nigeria (1959).

Wow � omo this school is now in bad shape, all the building has been old
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by Reallife17: 10:31am On Aug 18, 2022
Aidejay:
I don't have a standard for intelligence. I'm just pointing out that it's easy to mistake being loud, different or eccentric for intelligence or "genius" in hindsight, there are different types of intelligence.
Touché �‍♂️
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by Invitationn: 10:37am On Aug 18, 2022
Reflect7:

Don't mind them. In those days we used to eat one small piece of meat per meal. Or 2 if lucky or on christmas day.

Today na ''assorted'' with orishirishi daily.

Back then, no phone for the masses or internet. If you needed to speak to someone or start a business or whatever, na Molue you go catch. 49 sitting 99 standing.

No guarantee that the person you're going to see will be there when you reach o! If he no dey, na back to rushing for Molue to head home.

No air-conditioned BRT service with in-built USB outlets o!

Who dash you that one?

These pampered youths of today could not survive 1970s or 1980s Nigeria.

"No guarantee that the person you're going to see will be there when you reach o! If he no dey, na back to rushing for Molue to head home." grin

I remember how my grandma asks me to write letters to my uncle and aunts in Lagos and elsewhere and how I read the the letters to her each time she got a reply.
The reply could take months because it could as well take a month before the recipients get it in the first place.
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by Chydo001(m): 10:53am On Aug 18, 2022
TheSourcerer:
Northern Nigerian hunters. 1956

These people are Musicians oo
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:05am On Aug 18, 2022
Kalaba:

Sir, I need the source for this particular information/image.
Thanks
it’s on google search images ,Good morning
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by mabea: 11:06am On Aug 18, 2022
thebosstrevor1:
Seems lagos looks like the most advanced state in Nigeria
I thought they said that Tinubu built Lagos
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:10am On Aug 18, 2022
joshuaidibia:

How was she a hypocrite? I'm not arguing with you just want to learn a bit of history. Thanks
Oh Good Morning , aside from what we famously knew about her she was in deep crime activities as children trafficking, fraudulent mismanagement of funds , she was even reported by independent journalists how she used same needles over and over on children in Africa , siphoning money meant for aids and welfare , I read so much of her and got very disgusted , Ghandi another hyped pedophhile his document on his sexual deviance is on net and totally flawed me how history itself is flawed

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:11am On Aug 18, 2022
atheistandproud:

Ekumeku warriors, 1898 to 1914. They fought the British to a standstill in what is now Delta State.
yes it was your moniker I tried remembering to make a tag , Good Morning buddy
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:14am On Aug 18, 2022
budaatum:

How has democracy not worked for America?
Ahhh Buda, I know you know well what I mean , I explain to people who don’t know , you’re Buda you know
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:23am On Aug 18, 2022
oneMalik:
They are entertainers not Hunters .....Good job thou !

you sure ? Because you’ve been chewing me raw on most comments smiley
And I do not believe he died from aids I read he died from aids
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:23am On Aug 18, 2022
pepetua:
This is not celestial church but cherubim and seraphim church.
wow thank I have always wondered how Christians differentiate themselves
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by budaatum: 11:26am On Aug 18, 2022
TheSourcerer:
Ahhh Buda, I know you know well what I mean , I explain to people who don’t know , you’re Buda you know

Show me where you explained to people who don't know please. I'd love to read your opinion on the subject and see what you propose as the alternative.
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:29am On Aug 18, 2022
delpee:

Thanks for the awakening of great memories and some history lessons. smiley
Appreciate your kind words , do remember to smile trust me it helps

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:31am On Aug 18, 2022
babajero:
Intelligent in his own class but not in the basis of science, technology and engineering which is more important to mankind.
True only intelligence is not limited to science and technology
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:32am On Aug 18, 2022
pqmeup:
These pictures made me shed tears because they reminded me of when things were still good, everywhere was devoid of terror, see school children decently dressed, innocence written all over their faces. What miracle could be done for us to return back to those days when #5 naira had value.

#hugs , you’ll see it will get good , que sera sera
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:34am On Aug 18, 2022
Aijeez:
Wow, how come they did not wear hijab?
Islamic conquest , just like in Iran ,
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:35am On Aug 18, 2022
vicfajeze:
wit smelly body odoür
strong nose you got there buddy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:37am On Aug 18, 2022
Treadway:
this is still time appropriate. You could take a pic of Hausa girls dressed just like this, in an environment just like this, today.
yeah scary to think nothing changed much up North
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:47am On Aug 18, 2022
Treadway:
thanks op. Lovely pics that have successfully sent me down memory lane. Meanwhile, some nairalanders will tell you Tinubu built this road. Lol
welcome Really makes me happy you’re happy , do make sure to remember to smile it helps absolutely
Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:49am On Aug 18, 2022
Banbanna:

God bless you for this quite insightful posts.

Whenever I see pictures of young varsity ladies back then looking so well clad, ordinary and barely sexy, I can't help but compare then with varsity ladies of now, with all of their flashy and seductive dresses. Omo, what a time we're in. The generational differences is very alarming.
Thank you really and sadly the decadence would only become worse

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Vintage Pictures of old Nigeria by TheSourcerer: 11:52am On Aug 18, 2022
MufasaLion:

Why was Mother Theresa a hypocrite and how?
fraudulently siphoning money , dirty unsterilized used needles, child trafficking amongst others , She’s vile

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Covenant University Aspirants Thread -2016/2017 Session / I Checked My Waec Result And It's Showing Outstanding / Archibong Bassey, UNICAL 19-Year-Old First Class Graduate Shares Success Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.