Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,153 members, 7,890,891 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:20 PM

Institutional Indigenous Discrimination - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Institutional Indigenous Discrimination (1067 Views)

Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" / Ezza: Indigenous Igbos Of Benue State Celebrate Cultural Festival / Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Institutional Indigenous Discrimination by Dpsychologist: 6:52pm On Aug 20, 2022
Nigeria as a country has over 250 ethnic groups, but the country is politically dominated by three major ethnic groups – the Hausa-Fulani of the north, the Igbo of the southeast, and the Yoruba of the southwest.

National politics in Nigeria have largely revolved around competition between the three dominant ethnic groups, with the minority ethnic groups having less political representation.

I remember some time back I created a thread here on the various languages in Kaduna State. Some one came to challenge me that all the language are variants of Hausa-Fulani.
Minorities are not even considered in Nigeria.

The Ijaw people of Niger Delta are among the poorest in Nigeria despite their land flowing with Nigerian crude oil.

There is a high level of tribal bigotry/tribalism in Nigeria despite all belonging to thesame country and claim to live together as one.

The Nigerian constitution promises equality among all ethnic groups, but in actuality, the concept of "indigeneity" is widespread across local and state governments (and to a lesser extent, the federal government), which has been criticized by Human Rights Watch as a form of discrimination and a violation of international human rights law.

Jobs are by know you know not what you know. Nepotism is the other of the day, we have moved from democracy to kakistocracy.

Citizens are recognized as "indigenes" of a particular locality if they belong to an ethnic group that is considered to be indigenous to that locality.

Citizens from other ethnic groups, regardless of how long they or their families have been living in a locality, are legally recognized as non-indigenes and they face discrimination from government laws that limit their socioeconomic mobility.

Public universities in Nigeria favour indigenes during the admissions process, and non-indigenes are subject to discriminatory admissions policies that attempt to limit the number of non-indigene students.

Non-indigene students are required to pay higher tuition and they are denied academic scholarships.

Non-indigenes are often unable to participate in local politics and they are also excluded from government jobs.

In some cases, non-indigenes have faced mass purges from government jobs in order to create more jobs for indigenes.

Human Rights Watch has claimed the indigeneity policies relegate "millions of Nigerians to the status of second-class citizens".

Nigerian Vice President Yemi Osinbajo once compared indigeneity policies to apartheid.

Let's make Nigeria a better place. We complain of south African Apartheid and White man racism but we show indigenous discrimination to one another.

Remember, divided we fall but in unity we stand

Cc

Lalasticlala Seun

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Institutional Indigenous Discrimination by Epositive(m): 7:27pm On Aug 20, 2022
Why is "state of origin" still included in our CV?

And yes, tribal bigotry is high in state universities but I learnt the purpose for the creation of these schools is to serve/encourage the locals. Hence, why the indigenes have larger percentage of entry compared to non-indigenes.
Re: Institutional Indigenous Discrimination by Dpsychologist: 9:37am On Aug 22, 2022
Epositive:
Why is "state of origin" still included in our CV?

And yes, tribal bigotry is high in state universities but I learnt the purpose for the creation of these schools is to serve/encourage the locals. Hence, why the indigenes have larger percentage of entry compared to non-indigenes.
Still it doesn't justify the expensive fees non locals pay. Let's say indegenes pay 200k as fees non indigene will pay 250 to 300k. Is that fair?
Re: Institutional Indigenous Discrimination by Epositive(m): 11:26am On Aug 22, 2022
Dpsychologist:

Still it doesn't justify the expensive fees non locals pay. Let's say indegenes pay 200k as fees non indigene will pay 250 to 300k. Is that fair?

It's not fair but we have federal institutions that level tuition payment for all and sundry. I understand your point all the same. Think of it that original tuition fees is 250k or 300k but indigenes get to enjoy the benefits of belonging to that state by paying lesser.

Like I said earlier, it helps to promote higher learning among the indigenes. It's called State Universities for a reason.
Re: Institutional Indigenous Discrimination by Dpsychologist: 2:16pm On Sep 11, 2022
Epositive:

It's not fair but we have federal institutions that level tuition payment for all and sundry. I understand your point all the same. Think of it that original tuition fees is 250k or 300k but indigenes get to enjoy the benefits of belonging to that state by paying lesser.

Like I said earlier, it helps to promote higher learning among the indigenes. It's called State Universities for a reason.
I get your point.

The major issue is about the discrimination and tribalism/ tribal bigotry in nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

am the Future North Nigeria president / Nigerians / Beheading People For Money Making Rituals.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.