Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,999 members, 7,886,733 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 02:30 PM

Why Is It So Easy For Us To Disown Family Members In Our Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is It So Easy For Us To Disown Family Members In Our Culture? (979 Views)

Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju / I'm Canadian, He's Igbo And His Family May Disown Him. Help! / Was Prostitution Part of Our Culture during The Precolonial Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Is It So Easy For Us To Disown Family Members In Our Culture? by uonyekwere(m): 6:03pm On Aug 06, 2011
sad I have been told many times by my parents the phrase "I will kick you out of this house" and Ive done very little to dissapoint. I am currently a medical student and they are all proud of me, but they used to say it all the time on my way up. I have friends that have been kicked out many times for minor issues. Is that just our culture? Are we able to sever attachments and emotions for our loved ones so easily? Even in this article at kyslife.com there was a girl featured who was disowned by her family when she was diagnosed with AIDS rather than supported. The only way for the girl to live a full productive life would be to have support from her family. Thats what family is for. It baffles me because we are such a family oriented society, especially Igbos, and we do this so easily. Is our love for family members so fleeting? Here is an excerpt from the article:

“…she was disowned and rejected by everyone around as they unanimously concluded that she ‘will infect others with the virus if I stay in the same compound with them or relate with them….”’ , Humans are a social creature…the joy of being one lies in the mere presence of another. It is the people around that make it hellish for the patient, not the disease itself. There are many who live with the virus inconspicuously due to either proper treatment of the virus or the incubation phase of HIV’s pathogenic propagation. HIV patients are often stigmatized because of how it is transmitted. As many know, HIV is a sexually transmitted disease and also transmitted through contact with the blood of an infected person. You can imagine the types of stigma that come with being a victim. Stigmatization only causes the victim to be less likely to seek help. We become perpetuators, full article @

http://www.kyslife.com/#!/post/8217901165/living-with-hiv-in-nigeria-she-was-disowned
Re: Why Is It So Easy For Us To Disown Family Members In Our Culture? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 06, 2011
uonyekwere:

sad I have been told many times by my parents the phrase "I will kick you out of this house" and Ive done very little to dissapoint.

Hahahhaha even pets in African houses get told that. "You will soon get the F out of my house" "Try it and I will throw your butt out of this house"

Is just an intimidating phrase that our parents use smartly to scare us so we can do what they want us to do.

[quote][/quote]

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Translate "I Miss You" In Ibo / The DMP- Abuja's Foremost Flea Market / Why Was Ghanaian Highlife So Popular In Eastern Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.