Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,070 members, 7,939,303 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 10:41 PM

He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K (17805 Views)

Cleaner Earns N375,000 Monthly In Niger State – Investigation / HELP!!! He Wants To Quit His Job / He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by hayprof(m): 10:20pm On Aug 13, 2011
Pls, som1 berra tell that guy to av a rethink or he's getting "nothin"
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by coolcash4l(m): 10:46pm On Aug 13, 2011
[b]You don't need to advice him anymore, I think the guy need deliverance, there are many other people out there that are even looking unto God to provide them 160 naira to buy Garri and Epa for their family as best food. The guy no know how to thank God!!! [/b
Dis Guy:

He is an Engineer, a civil engineer

He should quit drinking he will save 60K/year grin

What if he lives in Abuja, doubt cheap accommodation in Abuja
plus if he finds another accommodation his travelling expenses might also shoot up
]
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by IdeyVex1(m): 12:30am On Aug 14, 2011
Just thot I should add my own 1 cent to this discussion.
I don't know where this friend of yours stays but I will assume the worst three cities in Nigeria (Lagos, Abuja, PH).
I know people who are earning far less than he earns and who still make a lliving.
I will also guess you are worried because you know he has nothing on ground to begin the hustling.
If I were in his shoes, I would not quit. 160k is a fair amount to survive VERY WELL on. How many banks pay above 160k anyways? You only get salaries higher than 160k in the oil companies and maybe some other specialized companies. The young man should be thinking of ways to cut down his expenses. I sincerely like the other guy who said he should tabulate his expenses. I do it and it has helped greatly. I make a budget and think on paper. It helps me see what I really need and what is a want. Had a friend who works in a bank and who never had a kobo to save. I advised him to do the same thing (list your expenditure and find out where you are loosing it). He did and since then,life has never been better. Advise your friend to hang on for maybe one more year. In that one year, he should build enough savings to last him at least 6 months of frugal living. He can then quit and hopefully, he should be on his feet in six months.
I don tok finish
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Genius100: 6:30am On Aug 14, 2011
This is a simple issue. Your friend is being foolish by planning to leave his job for something that is essentially a gamble. The prudent thing for him to do is start "hustling" on the side. When the hustle starts generating substantial income and it is obvious that by spending more time on the hustle, he will make much more than he earns now, then he can quit. But until then, tell him to stay with his job!
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 8:47am On Aug 14, 2011
I think Deenee said it beautifully. Yet, for some reasons I kinda agree with OYB as well.

@Genius100: I dont think one should ever be satisfied with the status quo unless one is dead.
I dropped off from a construction company 4 years ago, and there have been times when I think I was crazy; but today i look back and thank God I did.

@all: the only complication here is the wife and kid. With inflation eating up everything; I think our friend should do his best to Hustle part-time while he keeps his job.
It will be a great grind doing 2 tough jobs at once; but its all about paying the price. And yes: like Deenee said: cut those excesses, (abeg slim your spending and block those drainage; you could do fine with 100k monthly with your boy and put away 60k, that in a year is 720k.)

PS: No more babies until the hustle germinate.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by citee(m): 9:49am On Aug 14, 2011
@poster, i advise your friend to resign and look for a better job if that is what he wants. Life is too short to stay in one place and be complaining. A lot of successful people took the plunge at one time or the other in their life. Like someone else posted, what if he is asked to leave the job, will that be the end of his life. For him to say he wants to go and hustle, i want to believe he has given it some thought. A lot of people will say ''what if he fails'', but i say ''what if he succeeds''!Failure and success are two sides of a coin. All the best to your friend, his success is just around the corner.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Gbenge77(m): 10:37am On Aug 14, 2011
In a country where public servants are clamouring for #18000 minimum wage?
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by stagger: 11:45am On Aug 14, 2011
Somebody is earning N160,000 in today's Nigeria and he is complaining. His rent is N27,000 a month, and he is complaining as well.

Me wey dey pay house rent of N100,000 a month where I live in Abuja, as the sole provider of my family at the moment, what should I do?

OP, better advise that your friend to be wise before he puts his family in deep sh-it. He has a wife and a child now. He had better be wise.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by richcode: 11:55am On Aug 14, 2011
well,he should be happy that he at list have a job,one of my friend was also once in such position and he never quit is Job until he was recently employ by another film and they tripple is salary that was when he now tender is resignation letter,what he should have down is to cut down is expenses,by food stuff at home,i mean if he is not throwing a party the food stuff of 20k could last the family for 3months or more .U just have to cut spending no shame in that
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by denitro(m): 12:11pm On Aug 14, 2011
You friend should not quit his job,
"Because a football team can't score any goal in the 1st half. In order to win the match
they don't decide to remove the goal post in the second half."
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by oluwabamis(m): 2:10pm On Aug 14, 2011
he should resign immediately and join a robbery gang or drug cartel. 160k is not too bad for a family man, afterall minimum wage is 18k. leaving 160k for 0k is stupidity at of the highest order
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by femmy2010(m): 6:36pm On Aug 14, 2011
oluwabamis:

he should resign immediately and join a robbery gang or drug cartel. 160k is not too bad for a family man, afterall minimum wage is  18k. leaving 160k for 0k is stupidity at of the highest order

I guess those earning N18k should resign from this world.
Not easy making more than N5k a day oo.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by tlops(m): 8:19pm On Aug 14, 2011
There are two line of thought here:
1. take a leap of faith and
2. a bird at hand is worth plenty in bush.

1. what we dont know is his financial backup which according to the OP seems to be in-existent. so how does one raise enough faith to leap into oblivion, except being motivated by 'external forces'. Ask your friend to be careful. It is a wonderful idea for a man to want to be in charge of his own financial destiny

2. Considering that one lives in Nigeria (and appears to have no savings) I think its better he does a soft-handoff, its a better choice.

Yahoo+.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by DaDoctor: 10:06am On Aug 15, 2011
^^THAT GUY SHUD COME WORK FOR ME. I WILL PAY HIM 1.2 MILLION CFA/MONTH^^

HE MUST BE CRAZY! I HAVE MY WORKER HERE THAT SURVIVE WELL WITH A CAR AND A FAMILY OF 2-3 CHILDREN WITH JUST A LITTLE ABOVE 80K.

TELL HIM TO QUIT AND HUSTLE, PERHAPS WITH SUGAR MUMMIES. THAT WILL EARN HIM MORE
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Kx: 10:40am On Aug 15, 2011
Some thread indeed!

I have seen guys in Lagos that are earning less than 100k a month with wife and kids, not only living happily
but also building their own houses in outskirts of Lagos with little little savings.
Prudence and cutting ur coat according to ur size is d watch word.

Civil servants are clamoring for just 18k, yet u are earning 160k net and u are bent on leaving.

If he was resigning because he has a great business idea with the savings to finance it, i ll say bravo.
However, resigning because 160k a month is not enof? i tell u, even 1milla per month wont be enof for u.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by basadenet: 11:59am On Aug 15, 2011
The guy is one of those guys that dont give glory to God and he should consider himself lucky. Had He forgotten that there Million Guys like him or better than him out there jobless? Even that earn far far below his own salary. How about those people that earn N20k with wife and children. My advise to him, is to think twice or more before going ahead with his plan, as going ahead to quit might left him permanently jobless for a long time to come. Are good jobs easy to find in Naija
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by tlops(m): 12:12pm On Aug 15, 2011
leave the guy alone, he is lucky they're 'remoting' him to drop his 160k job, after all some people found solace in the lagoon.

joking, but seriously he needs to have survival plan before he quits.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Lastbourne(m): 12:41pm On Aug 15, 2011
@mouthstandn

Could assist me with my nephew resume grin

Much Love
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by niviso: 6:44pm On Aug 15, 2011
I know someone with a masters degree that earns 35K, what advice do we have for him? He spends like 5K on transportation, has a wife and kids. His parents look up to him to support them financially. Please lets talk to him through this medium.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by yamakuza: 4:34am On Aug 16, 2011
niviso:

I know someone with a masters degree that earns 35K, what advice do we have for him? He spends like 5K on transportation, has a wife and kids. His parents look up to him to support them financially. Please lets talk to him through this medium.

he is underemployed. He should keep scanning for better paying jobs while his wife starts a business on the side.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by peroski1: 1:26pm On Aug 16, 2011
LET HIM DO WHAT HE WENT DO FIRST THEN HE WILL REALISE AFTER BEEN HUNGRY FOR PERIOD AND WHEN HIS WIFE START NAGGING IF WHERE HE HOPPING DOES NOT MATERIALIZED IN GOOD TIME THEN THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE CLEAR TO HIM THAT HALF BREAD IS BETTER THAN NON.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by eewule(m): 3:39pm On Aug 16, 2011
He should be realistic. One can hurstle while doing his current job. Otherwise his wife can start a business or do the hurstling while he works as usual. He is being lazy and corrupted by his current oppurtunity/job, else he's being wrongly influenced by someone else who seems to be doing well hurstling.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by cashful(m): 4:57pm On Aug 16, 2011
eewule:

[b]He should be realistic. One can hurstle while doing his current job. Otherwise his wife can start a business or do the hurstling while he works as usual. He is being lazy and corrupted by his current oppurtunity/job, else he's being wrongly influenced by someone else who seems to be doing well hurstling.[/b]

I agree with your comments, especially the bold part, as a civil engr he can definitely get a lot of PP.

To be candid, 160k is "a far above" average income, a lot of families cope with figures less than this.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by brodaman1: 3:57pm On Aug 18, 2011
See me see wahala are guys beging him. I tink that man has a spiritual problem. 160k 4 dis present Naija and his nt grateful 2 God. Plz let him resign and let sumbodi happily take his place. He should plz tenda d letter nw nw nw nw. Wen men wen dey find job plenty??
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by BAKAREAAT(m): 3:25pm On Aug 19, 2011
I Think your friend is making foolish decision.
There is no salary that is enough,Your friend should A book called Rich dad poor dad.
When you are making decision you must balance it all i.e all you need is Plan B.
You dont need to put yourself in jeorpadise situation Because you need more Pay.
All you need is to catch niche for yourself and move on.
Your friend should understand that immediately he lives that job another person will come
in and miracles happen in the life of that person ,Let face the reality how do this chap
will maintain himself and family in this hard time that people working already is broke
before month end.i think i friend need to re-think before making is final decision and stop pursuing shadows.He said he wants to hurstle ,let him tell us what he want to do.so
that we can guide him ,Before you leave any employment especially in the this part of the world
where opportunities is rare to come by except Divine Intervention and which is beyond human
compresion.i suggest this guy really need to sit down and do a quality thinking so that he would
not put himself into a situation had i know,if you need a better job i advice you continue Praying

the good Lord will bring it to pass,Dont make a foolish decision be wise & Everybody knows it is not easy all we are praying is for better.Please be warn and be guided.
Thank You.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by wazobiang: 5:05pm On Aug 22, 2011
Guy I feel you. But hustling no easy sha! Hope u know what you are doing
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by yamakuza: 11:56pm On Aug 22, 2011
@ Rhino : seems ur friend quit afterall. (4rm the 45k thread)

What did he say when u showed him this thread?
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by BAKAREAAT(m): 12:30pm On Aug 24, 2011
Hi ,
Please,we need to hear from you now because 27th is around the corner ,what is it response because we cannot continue to waste our resources.
You see 90% of Recruitment consultants in nigeria are deceit ,they will sap you and tell you to pay for services they will not render i.e Pay for services of getting you a job that is not Available in the market.
and one more thing is that before your friend resign he should just carry out a research by placing advert about his job in the National dailies and see the population of people that we respond.What i am saying is that it takes a divine intervention for someone to get a job this days if you like go to all the countries in the world and became the best student,it only when God open that door you can come in and when He decide to luck it nobody can open it.
so my friend be wise ,let the holy spirit guide you and my prayer for you is that you will not
make a foolish decision and your life will be delivered.
Goodbye
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by nsodo: 1:06pm On Aug 29, 2011
It is not wise to quit when going for none because i am sure you wont even be in position to support the family. The problem is not with the salary but with him because he is supposed to cut his expenses and at least set up something for the wife to also start working. There is no salary which is enough because even those getting millions are still complaining.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by globalmind: 2:59pm On Aug 29, 2011
Tell ur friend to think very well before he decide,  also he need seriously deliverance with all his family,  tell him not to quit yet.

But if he don get work for shell,  he can go ahead and quit his job.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by montelik(m): 6:52pm On Nov 14, 2011
How far poster?
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 6:00am On Nov 16, 2011
globalmind:

Tell your friend to think very well before he decide,  also he need seriously deliverance with all his family,  tell him not to quit yet.

But if he don get work for shell,  he can go ahead and quit his job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"How Can I Start A Wig And Hair Business?" / Man Electrocuted While Disconnecting Electric Wires In Delta State / How Do I Handle Such A Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.