Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,830 members, 7,872,790 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:09 PM

Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. (17326 Views)

Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria / Post Pictures Of Traditional Weddings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by baslone: 11:58am On Aug 08, 2011
Da Doctor:

^^THIS IS IGBO LAND NOT YORUBA WHERE THE BRIDES PARENTS CONTRIBUTE A GREAT OR GREATER PART. IN IGBO LAND THE GROOMS DOES IT ALL AND HANDS SAME OVER BEFORE HAND. IF U ARENT MAN ENOUGH , PLS SIT BACK^^

[b]IT MAY NOT EVEN END AT THE ABOVE THE GROOM HAS TO CLOTH THE BRIDES FAMILY ETC IN MOST CASES[
/b]

Seen this happen!
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Sike(m): 12:50pm On Aug 08, 2011
Omo wa ise o ri ise! Sorry, no Comment.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Guchis(f): 1:08pm On Aug 08, 2011
My sis got married last Dec and we took care of the trads. Her hubby's contribution was providing the items on the list he was given. Even bride and groom's wardrobe for the day was provided by bride's family.

The church wedding also saw us helping out with expenses - not cos d groom couldn't do it, but because its just common sense and fair to contribute to the expenses.

Personally i think whoever has more (financially) should do more but if you're waiting for one party to do everything cos culture says so, u're on your own.

1 Like

Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Tsun(f): 1:29pm On Aug 08, 2011
Ohh plzz lets hear a word!!!
If you dont have money to take care of a woman, you can go and hang yourself on a transformer,
Abi una no wan spend money before.
@poster you said your brother, has an igbo chic he wants to marry but because of the money involved he's about changing his mind, BREAKING NEWS!!! Tell your brother he is not in love with the chic, or else common sense should have told him to go and meet with the in-law to be and discuss how they can help him out in the trad.
Abeg make una no dey fall my hand again,
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by ZE: 2:57pm On Aug 08, 2011
there is a general saying in Igbo Land !!

if bride prize prevent a man from marrying a woman of his choice in Igbo Land it means that the man is not yet ready for marriage.

Marriage in Igbo land is serious business. its not marrying today and separate tomorrow.

a real igbo woman marries one man i her life time(except death)

in cultures where most women marries up to 4 or 5 husbands in her life time, their men knows  it will be a waste
of time spending  money when taking a wife. knowing fully well that the woman can wake up tomorrow morning and pack her loads to another man's house.

my point is if a man want to buy pure water or groundnut, =N=5  is enough.

Marriage cost more than N5 in igbo land. if u no get liver !! gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooout
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by MMM2(m): 3:15pm On Aug 08, 2011
anyone
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 9:09pm On Aug 08, 2011
M M M:

anyone
When are you inviting us for your Igba Nkwu?.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by 2dmax(m): 5:05pm On Aug 09, 2011
ZE:

if bride prize prevent a man from marrying a woman of his choice in Igbo Land it means that the man is not yet ready for marriage.

Marriage in Igbo land is serious business. its not marrying today and separate tomorrow.

in cultures where most women marries up to 4 or 5 husbands in her life time, their men knows it will be a waste
of time spending money when taking a wife. knowing fully well that the woman can wake up tomorrow morning and pack her loads to another man's house.

my point is if a man want to buy pure water or groundnut, =N=5 is enough.

Marriage cost more than N5 in igbo land. if u no get liver !! gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooout
you make sense, anyways. But it isnt necessary the sum spent that causes d stability, but rather the culture effect trickled down-you grew up with ur father and mother, and why would u even think of changing a hussy in ur own time, most often, whateva d lady will b passing thru, hv bn experienced by her mom, and she surpassed, imo!
Guchis:

My sis got married last Dec and we took care of the trads. Her hubby's contribution was providing the items on the list he was given. Even bride and groom's wardrobe for the day was provided by bride's family.

The church wedding also saw us helping out with expenses - not cos d groom couldn't do it, but because its just common sense and fair to contribute to the expenses.

Personally i think whoever has more (financially) should do more but if you're waiting for one party to do everything cos culture says so, u're on your own.

kudos to ur family, while ur deeds are passable, it is not the norm in the ibo society/culture. Bride's parents that are not janded in thots and lifestyles prefer the groom to cater all to his ability, then the bride family will 'i du' ie sort of settle their daughter after all festivities with what they have, which may be a building - sewing machine - plastic buckets; depends on thir pocket's depth. Reason for this generally is for the bride to know, no matter how well of her family is, she is now changing into another man's name and under his authority, and should be prepared to abide in her own man's home. Her mother may cite her own case anrcumstances when she got married to her hussy, and how she stuck by him till he was made. The groom is encouraged to spend by hisself to ascertain his size of heart towards his new wife/family, imo.
xynerise:

Everything they will eat on that day will be provided by the bride's father. The groom will just pay her dowry and buy the necessary stuff for the kinsmen.
that is the bride's fanily dey pose. No core igbo would do that! We have a saying that goes thus :'ka aka ha nwanyi, ka ona eji de di ya' literally : the length of one's arm will s/he use to hug the spouse. Fact now, no longer imo.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by DaDoctor: 5:14pm On Aug 09, 2011
^^PLS POINT OF DIRECTION^^

MARRIAGE NORMS AND RITES IN IGB LAND DIFFERS FROM THAT OF THE YORUBAS IN ALL RESPECTS.

I AM IGBO BUT MY WIFE IS TSEKIRI-YORUBA SO I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING OFF INTERMS OF EXPERIENCE FROM BOTH TRIBE
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by 2dmax(m): 7:05am On Aug 10, 2011
Da Doctor:

^^PLS POINT OF DIRECTION^^

MARRIAGE NORMS AND RITES IN IGB LAND DIFFERS FROM THAT OF THE YORUBAS IN ALL RESPECTS.

I AM IGBO BUT MY WIFE IS TSEKIRI-YORUBA SO I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING OFF INTERMS OF EXPERIENCE FROM BOTH TRIBE

hi, dont know if you are just stating a point, or refering to my earlier post. If it is the latter, pls clarify the point of direction so I can answer adequately. Or better still, elaborate your experience in marrying from itsekiri! We are all here to enlighten ourselves. Cheers.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 10, 2011
my dad paid but he's black american. cool
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by agitator: 7:42am On Aug 10, 2011
@OP, the igbos have already answered you grin grin grin

Tsun:

Ohh plzz lets hear a word!!!
If you dont have money to take care of a woman, you can go and hang yourself on a transformer,
Abi una no wan spend money before.
@poster you said your brother, has an igbo chic he wants to marry but because of the money involved he's about changing his mind, BREAKING NEWS!!! Tell your brother he is not in love with the chic, or else common sense should have told him to go and meet with the in-law to be and discuss how they can help him out in the trad.
Abeg make una no dey fall my hand again,

you should have money grin grin grin grin

ZE:

in cultures where most women marries up to 4 or 5 husbands in her life time, their men knows  it will be a waste
of time spending  money when taking a wife. knowing fully well that the woman can wake up tomorrow morning and pack her loads to another man's house.

my point is if a man want to buy pure water or groundnut, =N=5  is enough.

If he can't foot the high bill then he is not ready. Confirmation of your brother's fears grin grin grin

Obiagu1:

The first question your bro should ask himself is whether he could afford his kids school fees. If the answer is 'No', then he should go and work harder before he could think of marrying an Igbo girl.

Once he can afford his kids school fees, then he can equally afford a traditional marriage.

Final conclusion. grin grin grin grin

What more does he want to hear. The real igbos have spoken. Case closed. cool cool cool cool
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Obiagu1(m): 8:54pm On Aug 10, 2011
H-Star89:

my dad paid but he's black american. cool

Did your dad pay for your own traditional marriage or your mum's?
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 10, 2011
Obiagu1:

Did your dad pay for your own traditional marriage or your mum's?

my mom, shes igbo.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Obiagu1(m): 11:59pm On Aug 10, 2011
H-Star89:

my mom, shes igbo.

I see.
Would you like to marry an Igbo?
Good no one has paid your bride price.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 12:04am On Aug 11, 2011
Obiagu1:

I see.
Would you like to marry an Igbo?
Good no one has paid your bride price.

Sure wink. Nigerian guys are nice
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Obiagu1(m): 12:16am On Aug 11, 2011
H-Star89:

Sure wink. Nigerian guys are nice

Cool. Someone might be interested in you. I'll try and link you up with him.
I'll like to see you back to Igboland.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 12:23am On Aug 11, 2011
Obiagu1:

Cool. Someone might be interested in you. I'll try and link you up with him.
I'll like to see you back to Igboland.

cool. I really dont practice igbo culture much. I've been americanized lol.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Obiagu1(m): 12:34am On Aug 11, 2011
H-Star89:

cool. I really dont practice igbo culture much. I've been americanized lol.

It doesn't matter, really. You still have Igbo blood in you and it won't be difficult to catch up. The culture is much more modernised now.

You can message me your contact. I think there's a provision for personal messages here.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 12:44am On Aug 11, 2011
Obiagu1:

It doesn't matter, really. You still have Igbo blood in you and it won't be difficult to catch up. The culture is much more modernised now.

You can message me your contact. I think there's a provision for personal messages here.

Modern, really?
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Obiagu1(m): 1:01am On Aug 11, 2011
H-Star89:

Modern, really?

Yah, most of the culture have been 'christainised'.
It's continually evolving with many non-indigenous cultures added.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 1:16am On Aug 11, 2011
my mom seldom says much about it.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Obiagu1(m): 1:27am On Aug 11, 2011
H-Star89:

my mom seldom says much about it.

She probably won't except if something cultural comes up like marriage or even a visit to her town.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by DaDoctor: 12:36pm On Aug 11, 2011
2dmax:

hi, dont know if you are just stating a point, or refering to my earlier post. If it is the latter, pls clarify the point of direction so I can answer adequately. Or better still, elaborate your experience in marrying from itsekiri! We are all here to enlighten ourselves. Cheers.

I am in concurrence with your point bros. I also made it clear that the yoruba and other tribes have differing norms

u okay now? cheesy
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by 2dmax(m): 10:51am On Aug 15, 2011
Da Doctor:

I am in concurrence with your point bros. I also made it clear that the yoruba and other tribes have differing norms

u okay now? cheesy
yeah da doc, kind of. But, if u permit me to say, love carry u go far o! Itsekiri ke? Can u gist us, pls? Lol!
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by DaDoctor: 11:16am On Aug 15, 2011
2dmax:

yeah da doc, kind of. But, if u permit me to say, love carry u go far o! Itsekiri ke? Can u gist us, pls? Lol!

my bros na God oh! but i dey enjoy am die
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by 2dmax(m): 1:22pm On Aug 16, 2011
nuthing do u joo. Its meant to b enjoyed!
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by DaDoctor: 1:48pm On Aug 16, 2011
2dmax:

nuthing do u joo. Its meant to b enjoyed!

Being ethnic in marriage decision can be misleading most times. TO ME ! THE FITTEST WINS MY HEART AND UNENDING LOYALTY , THAT IS HER
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by ibibiogrl: 10:44pm On Oct 07, 2011
@jayyem
hello house,i believe everybody is right to an extent,but as of every tradition,some people are well enlightened more than the other,it used to be like that which i do confirmed from my igbo friends but notwithstanding,some people will still try to be greedy
Igbo own is still even much more better,when we calculated the list they gave my cousin that married an akwa-ibom,it was over a million naira,but after so many negotiations they actually reduced their demands.
    U're very right Igbo's own is cheaper compared to Akwa Ibom, also if the bride is pregnant or have children before the list is fullfilled in Akwa Ibom. The groom will pay more including a separate insult goat & gifts for that "Insult!" .
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by abagoro(m): 10:27am On Oct 08, 2011
ibibiogrl:

@jayyem    U're very right Igbo's own is cheaper compared to Akwa Ibom, also if the bride is pregnant or have children before the list is fullfilled in Akwa Ibom. The groom will pay more including a separate insult goat & gifts for that "Insult!" .

I think its the same everywhere including Rivers State
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Oct 08, 2011
I think both families join heads together to foot the bills.
Re: Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. by ibibiogrl: 1:22am On Oct 11, 2011
abagoro:

I think its the same everywhere including Rivers State
  Which part is the same? I haven't heard of "insult" list escept in Akwa Ibom. namywedding even have comparisons and listed Ibibio & Igbo to be the top 2 most expensive. http://www.namywedding.com/articles/44-ibibio-traditional-wedding

Comparing Igbo and Ibibio list:- http://www.namywedding.com/articles/90-battle-of-the-tribes-igbo-vs-ibibio-traditional-marriage-list-traditional-marriage-series

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Esan People Are Not Igbo! / What's The Literal Translation Of (north, South, East, West) In Your Language? / Pictures From 2017 Durbar Festival Held In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.