Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,719 members, 7,965,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 07:19 PM

Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today (11329 Views)

Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets / Wilfred Ndidi Visits Nduka Ugbade At Golden Eaglets Camp In Abuja / Nigerian Tennis International Aruna Quadri Now 21st In Latest ITTF Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by tommy589(m): 10:08am On Aug 28, 2022
Good to know he is still alive. We were doing just fine,we had lord rumens,ogbe and other tennis completions until IBB came and killed Nigeria with his IMF loans that devalued living standards
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by IbileIfe: 10:44am On Aug 28, 2022
Nduka was a national hero and an inspiration to us growing up in the 1970s. A living legend in Nigerian sports
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by obaaderemi: 12:12pm On Aug 28, 2022
naptu2:

Read this thread to find out more about the golden era of tennis in Nigeria.

Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup.
The Duke was popular in the 80s and early 90s. I first read about him in
the West Africa magazine. I wonder why Nigerians no longer play at the opens. We've become like those backward Arab countries such as Afghanistan, Iran and Sudan. When they show you clips of these countries in the 60s and 70s you see modernization and freedom of expression from dressing style to music and sports. Today people are no longer free in those countries.
Nigerian government funded sports a lot in those days, not only football like they do today. But tennis, boxing, athletics, etc. There's Hope Sha. We have a lot of upcoming tennis and athletics stars these days. Oyinlomo Quadre and marylove Edwards are examples.
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by hassana728: 2:21pm On Aug 28, 2022
Nduka Odizor in his own words (continued)Nduka Odizor in his own words (continued)...
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by adefitim(m): 3:36pm On Aug 28, 2022
Hero
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by Wwwq: 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2022
Ok
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by guychidile: 5:53pm On Aug 28, 2022
Happiest active and sweetest birthday, the legendary Nduka Odiozor
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by AlphaTaikun: 6:03pm On Aug 28, 2022
naptu2:
Today is Nigerian tennis legend, Nduka Odizor's 64th birthday.

Nduka "The Duke" Odizor is a Nigerian tennis legend. He is the last Nigerian to get to (and beyond) the second round of any grandslam tournament. He is also the only Nigerian to play on centre court at Wimbledon.

Nduka Odizor grew up in Maroko, a large slum that was near Victoria Island in Lagos. He attended Edward Blydon Memorial Primary School at Okesuna on Lagos Island. He sometimes worked as a ball boy at Ikoyi Club and Lagos Lawn Tennis Club. It was there that his interest in tennis grew. He once said that he was so poor, but he loved tennis so much, that he was faced with a decision of whether he should buy akara to eat (because he was very hungry) or go to the National Stadium by bus to watch tennis and he chose trek from Lagos Lawn Tennis Club to the stadium because he was going to be there all day and so he also had to eat.

He attended the famous New Era secondary school in Benin City. Governor Samuel Ogbemudia of the Mid-West State established the school as a centre of excellence for sportsmen and women, so that they can get an education and play sports, but Odizor said that the system broke down after Ogbemudia left office and the school began admitting "anybody". Odizor played at the National Sports Festival and for the Nigerian National Team while he was still a teenager.

I had a neighbour who was a Nigerian tennis legend in the 1950s and 1960s. He was also very close to the Americans. This was during the Cold War when the Americans and Russians were competing for influence around the world. In the 1970s (after he had retired), my neighbour told the Americans that tennis was getting very popular in Nigerian and that they could create a good feeling towards Americans if they invested in Nigerian tennis. (This was revealed in the diplomatic papers that were released by Wikileaks).

The US Embassy got some American tennis players to participate at the Ogbe Hard Court tournamen (at the Ogbe Stadium in Benin). They got Pepsi/7up to sponsor the tournament. They also held many tennis clinics in Nigeria.

A visiting American professor called Dr Robert Wren saw Nduka Odizor playing at one of the USAID tennis clinics in the 1970s. He offered to sponsor Odizor's education in the United States. Odizor finished his secondary school education at St Thomas High School, Houston. He also attended the University of Houston, where he graduated with a degree in Business Marketing and Finance in 1981.

Wimbledon

Nduka "The Duke of Wimbledon" Odizor played at Wimbledon for the very first time in 1975. He played in the junior tournament on that occasion. He played in the senior tournament in 1982 and got to the second round before he was beaten by Swedish legend, Mats Wilander. However, it was his appearance at Wimbledon in 1983 that made waves.

Odizor got to the fourth round at Wimbledon in 1983 and he was just one victory away from the quarter-final when he was beaten by Chris Lewis of New Zealand.

Racism

Odizor said that he was given police protection by Scotland Yard when he played at Wimbledon because skin heads and other racist groups sent death threats to him. He said that police officers had to follow him where ever he went.

He also said that he suffered from racism many times on the tour. Some people would not want to share locker rooms with him, some wouldn't want to practice with him and some wouldn't want to play doubles with him.

He said that the problem of racism did not only exist abroad. He said that some Nigerians in Nigeria were also affected by it. For example, he said that he was very angry when he watched a Nigerian tennis star lose to an Ethiopian at the All Africa Games in Lagos in 1973. He said that he believed that even he, as a kid, could have beaten the Ethiopian and that the problem was that the Nigerian believed that the Ethiopian was better simply because of his lighter skin.

Australian Open

Odizor also got to the third round of the Australian Open in 1985, where he lost to American legend, John McEnroe. This match has gone into tennis history books because of a little trick that Odizor played. He surprised McEnroe by serving a underarm drop shot that earned him an ace. McEnroe was so surprised that he did not even move.

US Open

Odizor also got to the third round of the US Open on two occasions, 1985 and 1987.

He was not as succesful in the French Open, where he lost in the first round in 1986.

Titles

Nduka Odizor won singles titles in Lagos, Taiwan and Benin. He also won doubles titles in Monterrey (Mexico), Dallas, Tokyo and Sydney. He won 28 titles overall, including in Taipei, Lagos, Thessaloniki, Monterey, Tokyo, Forest hills in New York City, Benin City, etc.

His highest singles ranking was number 52 in the world in 1984 and number 20 in the doubles.

Nigerian National Team

He was part of Nigeria's Davis Cup team that played in the Euro-Africa Zone Group 1 (just below the World Group. We got to the quarter final of that group in 1988 and 1989). He also represented Nigeria at the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea.

After retirement

He established the DOIT Foundation after retiring and he has returned to Nigeria many times to run tennis clinics and to teach Nigerian children how to play the game.
Awesome post @naptu2. You've done it again. grin

That's an insightful piece on the man from Delta State, Nduka "the
Duke" like we used to call him for short.

His Wimbledon participation outrightly stimulated more interest in lawn tennis, just like Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwon of the Houston Rockets did for the promotion of basketball in Nigeria and the world from the 1980s.

I was just thinking of some of the sports legends we had back in the 1980s a few days ago and the 1984
Summer Olympics in Los Angeles that was beamed live to us on NTA with that signature theme song of the 1984 Olympics ringing in my ears.

Ajayi Agbebakun, the jerry curled
Innocent Egbunike, Peter
Konyegwachi in boxing and more were at the event.

The Commonwealth medalist from the 1960s, Modupe Osikoya (who has a street named after her next to the Bar beach on Victoria Island, Lagos) is still alive and has been based on the West Coast of the U.S. for years with her daughter. Manny
Onumonu the broadcast veteran interviewed her about 2 years ago.

A truly nostalgic thread!

Cc: Sukkot will like this thread.
Oya pull over! grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 7:04pm On Aug 28, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

His Wimbledon participation outrightly stimulated more interest in lawn tennis, just like Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwon of the Houston Rockets did for the promotion of basketball in Nigeria and the world from the 1980s.

I was just thinking of some of the sports legends we had back in the 1980s a few days ago and the 1984
Summer Olympics in Los Angeles that was beamed live to us on NTA with that signature theme song of the 1984 Olympics ringing in my ears.

Innocent Egbunike, Felix

The Commonwealth medalist from the 1960s, Modupe Osikoya (who has a street named after her next to the Bar beach on Victoria Island, Lagos) is still alive and has been based on the West Coast of the U.S. for years with her daughter. Manny

Oya pull over! grin

Thank you.

I've created lots of threads about that Los Angeles '84 team, but the anti-spam bot kept attacking my thread about the weightlifters.

This is the thread about Peter Konyegwachie https://www.nairaland.com/3862043/throwback-peter-konyegwachie-wins-silver

I also wrote about many of the stars (and tried to recreate my thread about the weightlifters) on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/6328463/how-many-these-nigerian-sports

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by sukkot: 7:24pm On Aug 28, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Innocent Egbunike, Felix

Oya pull over! grin
hehe the duke. Nigeria is blessed. We have had and still have great sportsmen and women. Do you remember daley Thompson?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 7:27pm On Aug 28, 2022
sukkot:
hehe the duke. Nigeria is blessed. We have had and still have great sportsmen and women. Do you remember daley Thompson?

grin I remember that my mum didn't like him at all because he represented Great Britain.

1 Like

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by SavageResponse(m): 8:28pm On Aug 28, 2022
Since this guy left the scene Nigeria has not had a serious tennis player sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by SavageResponse(m): 8:32pm On Aug 28, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Innocent Egbunike, Felix

Oya pull over! grin

It's Peter not Felix. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by AlphaTaikun: 8:48pm On Aug 28, 2022
sukkot:
Oh yeah, Daley Thompson the great decathlete with a Nigerian father of Yoruba descent and a white British mother. Lol.

I'm even very proud that 'Tobi Amusan set a new world record in the 100 metres hurdles event in July 2022. Her story and journey from Ogun State to Texas was truly stellar!
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by AlphaTaikun: 8:51pm On Aug 28, 2022
sukkot:
Oh yeah, Daley Thompson the great decathlete with a Nigerian father of Yoruba descent and a white British mother. Lol.

I'm even very proud that 'Tobi Amusan set a new world record in the 100 metres hurdles event in July 2022. Her story and journey from Ogun State to Texas for
further studies as a student athlete was truly stellar!
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by AlphaTaikun: 9:04pm On Aug 28, 2022
SavageResponse:

It's Peter not Felix. cheesy
@SavageResponse, thanks for the headsup! smiley My subconcious mind was nudging me to check the name again before posting. I'll correct it right away.

Introducing the iconic 1984
Olympian, Peter Konyegwachi! Lol.
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by AlphaTaikun: 9:27pm On Aug 28, 2022
naptu2:

Thank you.

I've created lots of threads about that Los Angeles '84 team, but the anti-spam bot kept attacking my thread about the weightlifters.

This is the thread about Peter Konyegwachie https://www.nairaland.com/3862043/throwback-peter-konyegwachie-wins-silver

I also wrote about many of the stars (and tried to recreate my thread about the weightlifters) on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/6328463/how-many-these-nigerian-sports
That's mad cool @naptu2.

I trust you to always document these iconic events. I've been a member of NL for 17 years now as of 2022 with an older account and no one comes close to you in historical documentation. I don't know how you do it man... You must be on positive steroids.grin

Cheers.
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by Emmanuelcann: 10:29pm On Aug 28, 2022
Odizor, nicknamed "the Duke" by the press, Ogbe Hard Court Benin!
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 11:34pm On Aug 28, 2022
Odizor.

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 12:04am On Aug 29, 2022
I believe that he's referring to the Lagos Open (Lord Rumens Classics) at the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club.

There were three big tournaments then, the Lagos Open, the Ogbe Hard Court (at Ogbe Stadium in Benin) and the Dala Hard Court at the Kano Club.

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by sukkot: 9:26am On Aug 29, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

I'm even very proud that 'Tobi Amusan set a new world record in the 100 metres hurdles event in July 2022. Her story and journey from Ogun State to Texas for
further studies as a student athlete was truly stellar!
she is amazing. It’s funny cuz I never heard of her till a month ago. I don’t follow sports anymore

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by AlphaTaikun: 3:46pm On Aug 29, 2022
sukkot:
she is amazing. It’s funny cuz I never heard of her till a month ago. I don’t follow sports anymore
Really? I heard of 'Tobiloba about 4 years ago... But Blessing Okagbare was in ascendancy then but now she has been banned for alleged use of performance-enhancing drugs.

I do not follow soccer anymore since the early 2000s and I have peace of mind, devoid of any potential heart attacks. Lol.

The Nigerian soccer dream team to the USA 1994 event was one of the finest. Things went south after that year ('94), and those boys started playing nonsense in subsequent years so I had to tune off from soccer.

I prefer golf, basketball, scrabble, chess, track and field athletics, archery, etc.

Cheers!
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by sukkot: 2:56pm On Aug 30, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Really? I heard of 'Tobiloba about 4 years ago... But Blessing Okagbare was in ascendancy then but now she has been banned for alleged use of performance-enhancing drugs.

I do not follow soccer anymore since the early 2000s and I have peace of mind, devoid of any potential heart attacks. Lol.

The Nigerian soccer dream team to the USA 1994 event was one of the finest. Things went south after that year ('94), and those boys started playing nonsense in subsequent years so I had to tune off from soccer.

I prefer golf, basketball, scrabble, chess, track and field athletics, archery, etc.

Cheers!
yeah to be honest with you i have tuned off all sports except for once in a while boxing if it involves people i like eg anthony joshua . truth be told i dont own a TV and havent owned one for over 10 years. am internet all day lol. no time for TV. youtube is my addiction. yeah that 1994 team ws something else. i was in chicago back then. i remember the american reporters like ahmad rashad gushing over the nigerian dream team back then lol

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reasons Why Sport Betting Is Not Good For You / Fashanu, Heritage Bank Join Soccer Star Project To Discover Football Talents / Opinion: Women Know Nothing About Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.