Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,768 members, 7,875,930 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:39 AM

N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal (4194 Views)

Legislators Agree To Belt-tightening, Cut N’assembly’s Budget By 25%-thisday / Jonathan Denies Initiating Single-term Plan / Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by DrummaBoy(m): 5:53pm On Aug 09, 2011
GEJ's chief propagada(ist) is yet to explain to us what is d meaning and end of a 6yr single term.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by DrummaBoy(m): 5:57pm On Aug 09, 2011
So Beaf rada dan get pissed by what okada man said,explain d single term bill to us like U did the 6 month resident bill
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by honeric01(m): 6:12pm On Aug 09, 2011
okada_man:

^^
Bros nor vex, I just dropped my passenger and parked for one side to post  grin

While we were discussing : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-731669.0.html

They are planning to abolish the restriction on foreign accounts for political appointees, fresh air!

We know they did not enforce it anyway, but the law created to be a good deterrent in a country where public purse is as loose as a Zone 4 hooker  The will is the problem. They refused to address that, but they are quick to throw the baby out with the dorty bath water, while failing to fetch a cleaner one.

Mumus dey follow mugus  embarassed

Hmmm so we still have Nigerians who can dedicate their time discussing issues that concern this confused nation called Nigeria?
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by teskyg: 6:28pm On Aug 09, 2011
We have continue to remain blind to the intrigues of our politicians.They benefited immensely from 8 years(4 years tenure each) (Contracts for printing of ballot papers and other electoral materials) ;renting of venues for meetings and rallies;which is usually outsourced to party members, money go round as mobilization fees for all party faithfuls; printing of banners;posters;jingles ;advertisement;every four years, They cant imagine losing all these source of income for a single term where they will only have the opportunity to get contract from INEC for only once .

I am embarrassed at the kind of oppositions party in Nigeria.They think criticizing all Government policies is what will bring them back to power.The bill is suitable for the future of these country.The excused that it is wrong timing cannot be justified and we should look beyond the cloud in our criticism.

The north also does not want to see anything good with this Government.We can move forward if we continue to allow ourselves to be deceived by ethnic and religious politics.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by 1025: 6:44pm On Aug 09, 2011
no matter how diplomatic we want to be about it all, what jonathan is doing might be good but i will term that, doing the right thing at the wrong(est) time.
we changes we need have to do with the things that directly affect our individual lives and not the newspaper topics.
these guys do steal and loot within weeks in power what more 6 yrs. these guys don't work in 8 yrs or two tenures what more 6 yrs?
if there is anything jonathan needs to do now, such things will include making kerosine available for the poor masses. making our roads passable for those of us that cannot afford flight tickets. making electricity available and affordable so that the poor man can start a barbing salon with just clipper and not thinking about generators, petrol and oil. let this jonathan have one or two tangible things on ground, only then will a common nigerian believe he has good intentions.
how is jonathan ready to convince my type that believed from day 1 that he is only a puppet of obasanjo especially with the rebirth of 3rd term turn to tenure elongation?
did anyone listen to jonathan say that this did not come from his mind/brain? why is he using other ppl's initiatives to rule? is it a mark of incompetence? we need men with visions and not those that will depend on these aged criminals in pdp.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by okadaman2: 6:49pm On Aug 09, 2011
The North?

Nigeria is one of those strange places where people with power and control blame people without power for their problems.

The Nigerian executive (President & Governor) is one of the most powerful I've seen in a democracy, with broad explicit and Implicit powers to act, influence and control.

Yet they will sit their fat Bottom/es down and blame a powerless almost non-existing opposition while they ignore their own responsibilities.

Yeye too dey smell.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Roland17(m): 7:51pm On Aug 09, 2011
The proposal was dead on arrival, The National Assembly no send anybody, u can ask OBJ and his 3rd term agenda.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 09, 2011
okadaman!

i see say our forefadas send u com NL to save us from that ignoram lipsrsealed lipsrsealed called beef!

i see u r truly right under him punching holes in his bigoted propagandist comments!

pls as he is busy licking the yansh-hole of GEJ and washing his balls in public (which of course is what he is employed to do), pls keep showing him that we all are not fools like many GEJ worshipers on NL.

i go fill ya okada tank free for 1 month! just enta TOTAL and ask for oga great na me be that!
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by okadaman2: 10:16pm On Aug 09, 2011
^^

Oga great, I dey come your station o, make I go drop this madam wey I carry!

Thanchu veelly velly much grin
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Beaf: 3:08am On Aug 10, 2011
teskyg:

We have continue to remain blind to the intrigues of our politicians.They benefited immensely from 8 years(4 years tenure each) (Contracts for printing of ballot papers and other electoral materials) ;renting of venues for meetings and rallies;which is usually outsourced to party members, money go round as mobilization fees for all party faithfuls; printing of banners;posters;jingles ;advertisement;every four years, They cant imagine losing all these source of income for a single term where they will only have the opportunity to get contract from INEC for only once .

I am embarrassed at the kind of oppositions party in Nigeria.They think criticizing all Government policies is what will bring them back to power.The bill is suitable for the future of these country.The excused that it is wrong timing cannot be justified and we should look beyond the cloud in our criticism.

The north also does not want to see anything good with this Government.We can move forward if we continue to allow ourselves to be deceived by ethnic and religious politics.

Very well said. People look to the US in awe of what they have been able to achieve in a country that is by far more ethnically, politically and racially diverse than any other country on planet Earth. It is a country that has been made to work by fashioning diversity into a strength and guaranteeing equal rights to one and all, regardless of where they are from.

The US got where it is today, because of the immense courage and foresight of its founders, who in the midst of the most dire and dissagreable conditions had the vision to spurn the philosophical foundations of equal rights and justice. It was done in a time of civil war, slavery, usery, bootlegging and the "wild, wild West." In the US, you are first an American, before you hail from a state like Texas or Virginia; your rights are never diluted by your state of origin not coinciding with your state of residence.

America, such an incredibly diverse nation has men on the Moon, has built the biggest military, the biggest economy, it has given us Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Google, Facebook, Ebay, Amazon, Adobe, LinkedIn, PayPal and a lot of others. Each of those companies make by far more money than any Nigerian state and the founders of a few can be traced to immigrants, everyone pitching in to make the country bigger. Everywhere you look, the star spangled banner is in evidence, its philosophies guiding the people.
The US is diverse, but strong; love it or hate it, America is a truly great country.

One country has given us the Arnold Schwarzeneggers, Kase Lawals, Hakeem Olajuwons and many others, yet the country isn't less American, no; it is the stronger for it.

The primitive tribal and religious sentiments that dictate that our rights in Nigeria are your diluted when our state of origin does not coincide with state of residence desperately need to be pulled. It will take guts, intellect and moral fortitude, but it can be done. Nigeria can reach the heights of the US, we are not nearly as diverse or populated as them, so why not?

Primitive tribal and religious sentiments that are born of insecurities, esteem issues, fear of the unknown etc, will always be defeated by truth, morality and the will to enforse common sense for the betterment of the man and woman on the street.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Beaf: 3:17am On Aug 10, 2011
haka_nai:
@beaf
Never thought you would someday sound so nationalistic.Not withstanding Its only fair to admit ,when someone makes good sense.I like your post here.Just try on the other hand to water down the constant blame of Nigeria woes on the Core North.That in itself does not present the truth and sounds like someone being told, the bogey man story from childhood mentality.
We are all victims of corrupt people from various zones and religion.If the core north is to blame,I never saw any of there accomplice from other regions complain all this while.Except for when it comes to power hustles.Which keeps the ordinary man out always.yet you find it easy to always generalize.I respect some of your views but others you sound bias.

haka_nai, if you check carefully enough, you'll find that my posts against the core-North always imply that I am talking about the elite. It is a hard truth that must be told in uncompromising language, the North desperately needs a fresh crop of leaders and thats basically whats contained in my messages.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by kodewrita(m): 8:00am On Aug 10, 2011
Beaf:

Very well said. People look to the US in awe of what they have been able to achieve in a country that is by far more ethnically, politically and racially diverse than any other country on planet Earth. It is a country that has been made to work by fashioning diversity into a strength and guaranteeing equal rights to one and all, regardless of where they are from.

The US got where it is today, because of the immense courage and foresight of its founders, who in the midst of the most dire and dissagreable conditions had the vision to spurn the philosophical foundations of equal rights and justice. It was done in a time of civil war, slavery, usery, bootlegging and the "wild, wild West." In the US, you are first an American, before you hail from a state like Texas or Virginia; your rights are never diluted by your state of origin not coinciding with your state of residence.

America, such an incredibly diverse nation has men on the Moon, has built the biggest military, the biggest economy, it has given us Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Google, Facebook, Ebay, Amazon, Adobe, LinkedIn, PayPal and a lot of others. Each of those companies make by far more money than any Nigerian state and the founders of a few can be traced to immigrants, everyone pitching in to make the country bigger. Everywhere you look, the star spangled banner is in evidence, its philosophies guiding the people.
The US is diverse, but strong; love it or hate it, America is a truly great country.

One country has given us the Arnold Schwarzeneggers, Kase Lawals, Hakeem Olajuwons and many others, yet the country isn't less American, no; it is the stronger for it.

The primitive tribal and religious sentiments that dictate that our rights in Nigeria are your diluted when our state of origin does not coincide with state of residence desperately need to be pulled. It will take guts, intellect and moral fortitude, but it can be done. Nigeria can reach the heights of the US, we are not nearly as diverse or populated as them, so why not?

Primitive tribal and religious sentiments that are born of insecurities, esteem issues, fear of the unknown etc, will always be defeated by truth, morality and the will to enforse common sense for the betterment of the man and woman on the street.

It doesnt explain why we have to turn our leaders into 6-year potentates.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by maclatunji: 9:12am On Aug 10, 2011
To be frank, all I have seen GEJ do since he got sworn-in is to attempt to consolidate his power and begin preparations for 2015 elections. He is not focused on doing what is right for Nigeria within the 4 year tenure he currently has. It is the job of we the masses to drive the political agenda and stop the continuous derailment of Mr. President. The problems of Nigeria are numerous but with sincerity of purpose and strong will half of them will disappear in a very short period of time. Personally, I have my eyes on Tambuwal; he does not owe even his party much allegiance and he can really help to stabilise the polity by putting the power and influence of his office to good effect.

Summary is; I have very little faith in GEJ and have very low expectations from his administration.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by hakanai(m): 10:57am On Aug 10, 2011
Beaf:

haka_nai, if you check carefully enough, you'll find that my posts against the core-North always imply that I am talking about the elite. It is a hard truth that must be told in uncompromising language, the North desperately needs a fresh crop of leaders and thats basically whats contained in my messages.

Well,you couldn't have said it any better sha!!! That is true and the elites still have some of them that are worth listening too.While alot of them are simply greedy.The post election violence only angered me when it spiral into religious and tribal war.If only they stuck to burning the elites property and wiping them we would have been better off.Now more than ever they have realize just how vulnerable they are too. undecided undecided undecided
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by playmode(m): 11:38am On Aug 10, 2011
All these ideas GEJ has come up with is just dumb.Who cares about the 1 term presidency and who cares about state of origin.Are nigerian states now independent countries that they have to award citizenship to people who have stayed there for more than 6 months.Common people when we will we start focusing on the real issues instead of toying with dumb ideas.It like saying texas should award citizenship to a newyorker,it is a no brainer.GEJ is just playing delay tactics,he is clueless and a disgrace to the office of the presidency.

GEJ should wake the f8ck up ,genuinely fight corruption ,hire compenent non-partsian people as his ministers and offer good governance instead of playing "draft" with the future of Nigeria.We the citizens and so called educated folks of Nigeria are our own biggest problem.Look at the comments here on this thread.Some are in support of GEJ ideas while others are against it.We should not even be discussing these ridiculous ideas.

GEJ should offer good governance and facilitate rapid development in all Nigerian states.If every state in Nigeria is economically viable ,no non-indegene will be trying to get citizenship in Lagos or Abuja because they will be proud of their state of origin and they be confident enough to invest and live in their state of origin.

Look at several threads on NL that claims that an Ibo man will be come the governor of Lagos state one day.Why are ibos so eager to rule Lagos State? Why can't they develop their own homeland? It is the general lazy mentally we have in Nigeria,instead of working to better our environment we want to claim citizenship in a foreign percieved paradise.If the GEJ offers good governance ,Nigerians states will develop rapidly and ibos will be encouraged to invest in their own states as well instead of over populating lagos and the southwest.The country will become economically balanced.

As far as i am concerned.Nigeria currently has the dumbest and worst president/leader on the planet and we the citizens are no better because we continue to entertain idiotic ideas proferred by this clown GEJ.

Nigerians get your act together and let us "force" this mugu to genuinely allow Nigerian states to develop individually at a rapid rate so that we can have a collectively robust economy.Like i said a few months ago on NL,my semi educated zimbabwean maid will run Nigeria better than Jonathan.Until we stop bullsh8ting ourselves,the government will never stop bullsh8ting us!
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by okadaman2: 2:50pm On Aug 10, 2011
haka_nai:

Well,you couldn't have said it any better sha!!! That is true and the elites still have some of them that are worth listening too.While alot of them are simply greedy.The post election violence only angered me when it spiral into religious and tribal war.If only they stuck to burning the elites property and wiping them we would have been better off.Now more than ever they have realize just how vulnerable they are too. undecided undecided undecided

Unfortunately the political opportunists and immoral hawks with crooked fingers deep inside public money decided to cast the anger of the disenfrachised poor as some kind of tribal and religious rage. They know the truth, but their greed, avarice and immoral quest for power blinded them.

The fact that those young people in the north trooped to the street to attack their own religious, traditional and political elites was drowned by those who wanted to profit from the cries of the poor. We know innocent young Nigerians on NYSC duty lost their lives, it was sad to me personally, it was unfortunate and I want them to get justice. But I also know that those who trumpeted their unfortunate death the most were political vultures seeking to profit from the blood of the young.

We are living witnesses to the posting of burnt out nak*ed picture of that NYSC guy, those pictures were posted by aides of Goodluck Jonathan online on facebook and even on many forums for one thing only. Political profiteering! To simply incite hate against the opposition and reinforce their stolen mandate, mandate bought with public money.

They don't care about that guys family, they don't even speak about him anymore, not a single person has been brought to justice. Not one! the liars and propaganda writers have all moved on to the next opportunity.

They were not interested in justice, just propaganda, some of them already admitted that fact, some of them who screamed about prosecution are now back here to admit they were simply spinning for political reasons, simply to profit from the death of the oppressed.

Some Northern progressives pointed this fact out in heat of the debate, they told us we might have lost a good opportunity to effect change and harness the disaffection of those young, poor, oppressed and angry rioters, but we refused to listen, we decided to paint them all as almajiri zealots with no right to speak or express anger. Those articles and pleadings to find proper perspective were posted online, mentioned on air, and discussed on the street, but our professional profiteers refused to listen, they only wanted power.

Now they have power, they are confused about what to do with it, but the looting and cheating continues. . .
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by honeric01(m): 5:54pm On Aug 10, 2011
okada_man:

Unfortunately the political opportunists and immoral hawks with crooked fingers deep inside public money decided to cast the anger of the disenfrachised poor as some kind of tribal and religious rage. They know the truth, but their greed, avarice and immoral quest for power blinded them.

The fact that those young people in the north trooped to the street to attack their own religious, traditional and political elites was drowned by those who wanted to profit from the cries of the poor. We know innocent young Nigerians on NYSC duty lost their lives, it was sad to me personally, it was unfortunate and I want them to get justice. But I also know that those who trumpeted their unfortunate death the most were political vultures seeking to profit from the blood of the young.

We are living witnesses to the posting of burnt out Unclad picture of that NYSC guy, those pictures were posted by aides of Goodluck Jonathan online on facebook and even on many forums for one thing only. Political profiteering! To simply incite hate against the opposition and reinforce their stolen mandate, mandate bought with public money.

They don't care about that guys family, they don't even speak about him anymore, not a single person has been brought to justice. Not one! the liars and propaganda writers have all moved on to the next opportunity.

They were not interested in justice, just propaganda, some of them already admitted that fact, some of them who screamed about prosecution are now back here to admit they were simply spinning for political reasons, simply to profit from the death of the oppressed.

Some Northern progressives pointed this fact out in heat of the debate, they told us we might have lost a good opportunity to effect change and harness the disaffection of those young, poor, oppressed and angry rioters, but we refused to listen, we decided to paint them all as almajiri zealots with no right to speak or express anger. Those articles and pleadings to find proper perspective were posted online, mentioned on air, and discussed on the street, but our professional profiteers refused to listen, they only wanted power.

Now they have power, they are confused about what to do with it, but the looting and cheating continues. . .

PAPABROWN abi na wickedbrown? angry
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by koruji(m): 1:24am On Aug 11, 2011
I remember seeing your reply earlier. It would still be good to see what advantages you see in a single 6 year term.

It will add to the discussion.

ekt_bear:
Nice posts, Koruji.
Btw, I actually don't think this single-term proposal is a bad idea (at least in theory.) But since it doesn't look like it will fly, I guess no real point in me spending time defending it.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by andersonlu: 3:03pm On Aug 11, 2011
I think that is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by auwal87(m): 6:14pm On Aug 11, 2011
Congratulations! Anti-Single termers grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opposition Coalition May Apply For APC Registration Next Week / B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G News! Bola Tinubu Warns Defecting G-5 Governors On How To Behave / The List Of BIG Frauds That Got Buhari Angry Sacked Over 20 Dgs Of Federal Agent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.