Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,928 members, 7,922,284 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 11:35 PM

Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech (588 Views)

Data Analysis And Summarization Using Excel Pivot Table / Transition To Tech, It's Worth It! / My Journey To Tech From The Streets Of Lagos To The Corporate America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by dakin01: 6:58am On Aug 31, 2022
Good day house,

I am presently in the insurance industry for over 10 years,promotion has been very slow and I am considering pivoting to tech.

Question is I dnt have any science background,what course is best to go for. And also will it be worth the move.

Note I am presently working full-time so I am not desperate.
Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by shegzhkn: 8:05am On Aug 31, 2022
Why did you wanna move to tech, the undercurrent ??
Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 31, 2022
You need to Retake JAMB and go back to university to achieve this

3 Likes

Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by RepoMan007: 10:59am On Aug 31, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
You need to Retake JAMB and go back to university to achieve this
why not retake common entrance so he or she can choose science before going on to weac and jamb? That will be better.
@ Topic. Just know there are many IT fields. Web related alone cover DB administration, Website Administration, Graphics design, HTML/CSS coding and more.
Other main branches of IT include Networking, Hardware Technicians, Programming, MIS, Data Analysis and more. These branches always have their own sub branches to make it a wider terrain for IT incomers. I wish you good luck with your consideration and tech journey. There are software packages too. CAD, spreadsheets, PCB makers, Simulators, Graphics design, Video creation and editing, Photography and editing. Desktop publishing, and more I cannot name. Even Architectural drawing apps and modelling apps.

1 Like

Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by Nobody: 12:16pm On Aug 31, 2022
RepoMan007:
why not retake common entrance so he or she can choose science before going on to weac and jamb? That will be better.
@ Topic. Just know there are many IT fields. Web related alone cover DB administration, Website Administration, Graphics design, HTML/CSS coding and more.
Other main branches of IT include Networking, Hardware Technicians, Programming, MIS, Data Analysis and more. These branches always have their own sub branches to make it a wider terrain for IT incomers. I wish you good luck with your consideration and tech journey. There are software packages too. CAD, spreadsheets, PCB makers, Simulators, Graphics design, Video creation and editing, Photography and editing. Desktop publishing, and more I cannot name. Even Architectural drawing apps and modelling apps.

At least we agree on something.
Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by RepoMan007: 1:26pm On Aug 31, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

At least we agree on something.
yes, that you made as much sense as the probability of a Brazilian born footballer missing his calling in life.
Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 31, 2022
RepoMan007:
yes, that you made as much sense as the probability of a Brazilian born footballer missing his calling in life.

Always typing nonsense.

Fish brain
Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 31, 2022
dakin01:
Good day house,

I am presently in the insurance industry for over 10 years,promotion has been very slow and I am considering pivoting to tech.

Question is I dnt have any science background,what course is best to go for. And also will it be worth the move.

Note I am presently working full-time so I am not desperate.

Forget about your background, It doesn't stop you. You don't need to be a Maths guru or a science student. I am none of that.

Just go to Udacity.com and find tutorials on "Introduction to programming". They will teach you from Novice to at least understanding the basics. Then you can decide if you want to go further or just continue with your Insurance.

2 Likes

Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 31, 2022
With 10 years experience in Insurance , you can’t afford to throw that away.

Every large insurance firms have technical departments.
Aim for Product Development, Project Management, Software Architecture, Business Analysis, etc.

If you want to get your hands dirty a little, take on Database Administration, earn some SQL server or Oracle cert to prove your new skills.

In 1 year, switch to banking and see how it’s done.

In 5 years or less, you can create your firm and consult for insurance and banking.

2 Likes

Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by TastyFriedPussy: 7:17pm On Aug 31, 2022
Rubbish this one just want to waste his time.
tongue
Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by EngrBouss(m): 7:32pm On Aug 31, 2022
Go to ALX Africa and pick a course, get the scholarship and move from there. Your background or age doesn't matter

1 Like

Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by dakin01: 9:06pm On Aug 31, 2022
Thank you so much,this was helpful
truthsayer009:

Forget about your background, It doesn't stop you. You don't need to be a Maths guru or a science student. I am none of that.

Just go to Udacity.com and find tutorials on "Introduction to programming". They will teach you from Novice to at least understanding the basics. Then you can decide if you want to go further or just continue with your Insurance.
Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by dakin01: 9:07pm On Aug 31, 2022
EngrBouss:
Go to ALX Africa and pick a course, get the scholarship and move from there. Your background or age doesn't matter
Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by dakin01: 9:08pm On Aug 31, 2022
This gave me an insight database administration..thanks so much
Ovaltine:
With 10 years experience in Insurance , you can’t afford to throw that away.

Every large insurance firms have technical departments.
Aim for Product Development, Project Management, Software Architecture, Business Analysis, etc.

If you want to get your hands dirty a little, take on Database Administration, earn some SQL server or Oracle cert to prove your new skills.

In 1 year, switch to banking and see how it’s done.

In 5 years or less, you can create your firm and consult for insurance and banking.
Re: Help, I Want To Pivot To Tech by dakin01: 9:09pm On Aug 31, 2022
RepoMan007:

(1) (Reply)

Backend Programmer Needed For A Site In Abuja / Should I Learn React Or Bootstrap? / Engineering is still science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.