Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,950 members, 7,873,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:09 AM

Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed (20690 Views)

Can Changing The Charging Port Affect Charging Speed? / Why You Should Never Borrow Charging Cable From Someone Else / Why Charging Speed Slows Down After Reaching 90% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Originalsly: 5:14pm On Sep 06, 2022
Don't know the physics... but I think length is one factor and the more important factor is the ability of the wire to conduct electricity. I had a 6 foot Energizer cable that charges the phone significantly faster than 3 foot cables from other companies. Would a 3 foot single strand copper wire cable charge faster than a 3 foot triple plaid galvanize cable?
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by kamez(m): 5:15pm On Sep 06, 2022
Scottz:
I have both of them they charge on the same level the same speed
I’m very certain about this
I don’t know why people are forming Einstein on this matter sha. Lol

First and foremost nobody is forming Einstein...na Ohms we dey form...

Secondly, u can never be certain about the charging speed of both chargers... Cos I'm sure u use just ur eyes and checking of time to measure it..except u have a device in ur house that u use to measure it with zero error...there must be a difference in the charging speed of both chargers, even if the difference is so so small that u suddenly feel that there is no difference...

Take it or leave it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by ugwum007(m): 5:22pm On Sep 06, 2022
The length of the wire has less effect if the quality of the wire and cross-section is top notch.
A quality charger head will be rendered useless if these two things are not top notch.
Yea, the length of the wire comes into play when the other factors are found wanting because chargers are designed to counter the effect of length electricity current.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by smoke555: 5:26pm On Sep 06, 2022
yinkabeauty:

and resistivity has no connection with length?

You should know, to inductance, length is a variable
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by hope4nigeria(m): 5:32pm On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:
Does the length of charging cable affect the speed of charging.... Is it inversely proportional to charging speed? The longer the cable the slower the speed, and the shorter the cable the faster the speed... And if it affect it, what causes it?
isn't it light current? The last time I check, the speed of light is 3.8*10^8 at constant speed
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by MrReeseG(m): 5:33pm On Sep 06, 2022
yinkabeauty:

Initially, the current will travel a longer distance but when it gets to the target with constant supply , the current becomes saturated and fill the cord, then speed is insignificant, thats why a long wire shocks you at a very fast speed when touched, sometimes ‘’common sense‘’ may not be
enough to explain science.

1 Like

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Crafteck1: 5:33pm On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:

Thanks! So that what makes some cable original and some fake even if they are the same length -the number of wires in the cable right? Or the quality of wire used?

Quality of the material used(higher percentage of copper the better) , quantity of material (the thicker the better)
These factors can supercede the energy loss by length. Of cable.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by uchennaq(m): 5:36pm On Sep 06, 2022
Which kind of yeye question be this. Why you no ask whether the length of wire dey effect electricity?
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Shikena(m): 5:38pm On Sep 06, 2022
Negligible, you can't notice it.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Lighthouse50: 5:42pm On Sep 06, 2022
Resistivity does not apply to charging cables due to the fact that even the longest cable is never up to the distance when comparing the speed of current per second.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 5:45pm On Sep 06, 2022
MrReeseG:

think deeply through it.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by gambojimeta: 5:49pm On Sep 06, 2022
yinkabeauty:

the voltage drop explanation does not capture it.
I don't know, but I have a degree in Physics and a 2nd degree in Electrical Engineering. That's the very basic definition I can give. If OP does doesn't get it, then he can forgerrit.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 5:56pm On Sep 06, 2022
smoke555:

You should know, to inductance, length is a variable

but you should know resistivity x length = total resistance or don't you know that or it's not correct?
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 6:01pm On Sep 06, 2022
gambojimeta:

I don't know, but I have a degree in Physics and a 2nd degree in Electrical Engineering. That's the very basic definition I can give. If OP does doesn't get it, then he can forgerrit.

no problem, the issue has been attended to, no qualms.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by schegun(m): 6:01pm On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:
Does the length of charging cable affect the speed of charging.... Is it inversely proportional to charging speed? The longer the cable the slower the speed, and the shorter the cable the faster the speed... And if it affect it, what causes it?
The resistance of a wire is directly proportional to its length and inversely proportional to its cross-sectional area. Resistance also depends on the material of the conductor.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by gambojimeta: 6:06pm On Sep 06, 2022
Mary360:
Shorter cable are faster than the long cable

If you observe well if you have a power bank use the shorter cable for the power bank it will not use up to 4 hours my 20,000ah power banks is full

Cable matters a lot
I have surveillance cameras wired at different locations in my house. The same switching adapters from camera manufacturer and same USB cables of different lengths ranging from 8ft to 35ft . Sometimes, there are cutoffs at the cameras with longer distance cables to the switching adapters. My way around it was the increase the power output of the switching adapter. I.e. buy an adapter that outputs more current since the cameras were rated for 5V and USB are usually fixed at that voltage output as well.

Same with those that use phones that have the ability to fast charge. Fast chargers are very picky with length of USB cable used. When a longer USB cable is used, their is a drop from fast charging to regular charging.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by atheistandproud(m): 6:19pm On Sep 06, 2022
Freethinker87:

It doesn't matter if it is cable or cord, long or short distance. Every current will encounter higher resistance as electricity flows from one end of the wire to another. That resistance results to a drop of voltage which translate to a loss of energy.

So yes, the length of the cable have an affect on the charging speed, although, the effect is not significant.

Best answer
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Flamethehussler: 6:20pm On Sep 06, 2022
yinkabeauty:

Initially, the current will travel a longer distance but when it gets to the target with constant supply , the current becomes saturated and fill the cord, then speed is insignificant, thats why a long wire shocks you at a very fast speed when touched, sometimes ‘’common sense‘’ may not be
enough to explain science.
grin wetin be this
Art student don drop grin

3 Likes

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by GindoX(m): 6:29pm On Sep 06, 2022
Wow ! I don learn today ooo .. my take..

Quality of charger
Quality of cable...

The length no matter....
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by olaztek(m): 6:48pm On Sep 06, 2022
The voltage coming out of your mobile charger is usually 5v (5 voltage). The longer the charging wire, the more the milli-volt that will drop at the end of the wire due to resistance.

1 Like

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Selfmotivated: 6:48pm On Sep 06, 2022
No. I have long Gionee and Tecno USB cable charging perfectly
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Wallace72: 7:07pm On Sep 06, 2022
A shorter cable length will definitely be faster
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by LollySeaSide: 7:12pm On Sep 06, 2022
Flamethehussler:

Yes
The resistance of a wire is directly proportional to its length
Increasing it's length increases it's resistivity
And opposite of resistivity is conductivity
Hope i have cleared you smiley
Increasing the length of a conductor does not increase the resistivity of the wire.
Resistivity of a wire depends on the material from which the wire was made and it's an intrinsic property that does not depend on length or cross-sectional area.
Same goes for conductivity.
When describing properties that depend on length, area of cross-section and temperature, it's more appropriate to use "resistance" and "conductance" instead of resistivity and conductivity.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Freethinker87: 7:13pm On Sep 06, 2022
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by smoke555: 7:17pm On Sep 06, 2022
yinkabeauty:

but you should know resistivity x length = total resistance or don't you know that or it's not correct?

The conductivity of the conductor, waiver to a greater proximity over length, on the topic.

You ought to have studied of good/bad conductors of electricity in SS1 sir/ma
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:18pm On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:
E dont matter.. i have chargin cable for sale in case u interested
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 7:33pm On Sep 06, 2022
smoke555:

The conductivity of the conductor, waiver to a greater proximity over length, on the topic.

You ought to have studied of good/bad conductors of electricity in SS1 sir/ma

you an author of confusion, who is asking about good conductor or bad conductor, we are talking cords of equal quality and conductivity, the same power source, the same quality of charger, what's the effect of length of the cord on charging, or length has no effect according to you? that's the question rather all these drama.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 7:47pm On Sep 06, 2022
Flamethehussler:

grin wetin be this
Art student don drop grin

you are not serious !you can carry on with interrogation, we know resistance is directly proportional to length of the cable, at the same time , the difference in speed of conduction is insignificant, because the speed of the current is enormous and current gets to the target (the phone)quickly , it's more less there is no current traveling.
It's not like human walking different distance kilometres, but similar to water gushing out quickly from the resevoir via the tap, even at a distance from the tap , current is even faster, so get the analogy.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by pargelenis(m): 7:52pm On Sep 06, 2022
Obeleagu93:
Ftc for the first time ever on this platform, where is my own. I heard they do give things. Seùn and co where una dey
Indeed, there was a time they used to give out one tin of peak milk for FTC but country hard now, it is just a handshake you will receive.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by smoke555: 7:55pm On Sep 06, 2022
yinkabeauty:

you an author of confusion, who is asking about good conductor or bad conductor, we are talking cords of equal quality and conductivity, the same power source, the same quality of charger, what's the effect of length of the cord on charging, or length has no effect according to you? that's the question rather all these drama.

Na true o, I don fail this one

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Glo, MTN, Airtel, Others Move To Raise Tariff / Ntel introduced unlimited night plans...500naira for 60gb or more / 5 Simple Ways To Give Your Old Smartphone A Speed Boost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.